Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #91
crzyred
I'm lucky any of my clothes are clean, let alone wrinkle free!
I don't do the whole thinking thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by distherapy View Post
Sorry Sarbah - I'm answering for you!

Twilight is a book, the first in a series about, ahem, a vampire teen romance. My sister was addicted to them and made me read them (I told her I refused to buy them and she had them shipped to me. After that I felt it was my sisterly duty to read them and I was hooked too... They aren't great literature, but she's a good storyteller and they are fun reads... (and hugely popular - my babysitter went to the library to ask for the first one and the librarian told her she would be #184 on the waiting list.)
I'm trying to decide if I want to try and start another "series" book. I've finished Harry Potter, trying to get through Chronicles of Narnia. I'm on book 5 or 6 I think. My friend gave me a series of books from an author from South Carolina. I wouldn't have a problem getting through them, I love reading and if I'm really into the book I won't do anything else but read. I just don't know if I should be starting something else right now.

XXX
Anyone have any ideas for an easy handmade calendar? I'm aiming for that for a Christmas present for my friend. I have pretty much all the pictures and quotes I want to use, but I just need a way to do it, and it really needs to be easy!

Ok off to eat some dinner and watch the baseball game!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #92
backinoz
Mouseketeer

Location: The Land of Oz... The one Downunder, not the one with the Yellow Brick Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyred View Post
Anyone have any ideas for an easy handmade calendar? I'm aiming for that for a Christmas present for my friend. I have pretty much all the pictures and quotes I want to use, but I just need a way to do it, and it really needs to be easy!

Use a CD Case! You print out a 'card' for each month, sized to fit inside the CD Case (the Std sized ones, not the skinny ones). I found this link to tell you how to do it ...

http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/calendar-instructions.php

I've done heaps of others, but if all you want is a photo and a quote, this is the easiest way I know of doing it. Have fun creating!

DL, on to POFQ, then HRH @ Universal - Dec 2012 - Celebrating DD13 & DD15s Birthdays
Pre-Trip Report

ASMo Dec 2008 & Pop Dec 2008/Jan 2009 DLP Nov 2002 - all 4 of us - Paris in Winter is just magical, but COLD
. . . . . . . . . . .ASMo Nov/Dec 2001 with DH, DD2 & DD4
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #93
sarbah77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
Sarbah--what is Twilight?
Quote:
Sorry Sarbah - I'm answering for you!

Twilight is a book, the first in a series about, ahem, a vampire teen romance. My sister was addicted to them and made me read them (I told her I refused to buy them and she had them shipped to me. After that I felt it was my sisterly duty to read them and I was hooked too... They aren't great literature, but she's a good storyteller and they are fun reads... (and hugely popular - my babysitter went to the library to ask for the first one and the librarian told her she would be #184 on the waiting list.)
Yeah, that's it in short. It's a vampire teen romance written by a Mormon author. This is ONLY really important because, despite it being a *teen* romance, there's not much more than the occasional smooch until book 4 which was kind of terrible.

Quote:
Okay - first - best of luck with the dr appts! Here's hoping for the minor-est of recoveries!!!

Second - I am SO jealous of your Twilight viewing plans! I love me some Twilight (my sister got me hooked on that vampire teen romance crack) and I love me some margaritas!
I got three of my coworkers and my closest female friend into the series. They're all forcing me to see the movie, which does look pretty AWFUL. In sort of a good way and aided by margaritas! And they all want to go on opening night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyred View Post
I'm trying to decide if I want to try and start another "series" book. I've finished Harry Potter, trying to get through Chronicles of Narnia. I'm on book 5 or 6 I think. My friend gave me a series of books from an author from South Carolina. I wouldn't have a problem getting through them, I love reading and if I'm really into the book I won't do anything else but read. I just don't know if I should be starting something else right now.
Girls/women either love it or hate it - Twilight, that is. If you haven't read but want a top notch YA series, I really recommend the Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper. After that, I recommend the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane. The first series I'd list as nearly classic YA fantasy and the second may eventually get there!

++

Anyway, I'm kind of annoyed with my DH right now. He didn't actually READ the paperwork for his jury duty and given that he's 35, I didn't think I had to. He has to go in tomorrow. And whether or not he serves on a trial, he has to call to see if he has to serve NEXT week as well.

In the meantime, I have that appointment with my surgeon I have to go to alone... and if he has to go in next week, I have to go to my pre-op alone. We're also a one car household and the pre-op isn't on a bus route. My coworkers offered to drive me, but I have to be there at 7:30am and that doesn't seem like a nice thing to ask of them, you know? So I have to get a cab/rent a car/hope he doesn't go in... and then make sure I get all the pre-op instructions right, since he'll be caring for me.

It's NOT the end of the world, but he did have the option to put it off until a date of his choosing, but he decided not to. I feel frustrated and very inconvenienced by his decisions, on top of feeling entirely miserable most of the time.

(edited to add: I also had all these appointments prior to his jury summonings!)
Old 10-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #94
laurainsem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
So glad you're back, we've missed you!
Awww, i'm glad you missed me because I certainly missed my DIS family! These boards make me so happy in the midst of the chaos we call life.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #95
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Goodness... and I thought we were SLOW on the weekends....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
We received conflicting news yesterday. My MIL has now decided to be with us for 2 days of Disney out of our 13 day trip.

Originally our trip was to be with 16 other extended family members. One by one they couldn't come due to this and that, which left only our family going. We then planned out each day and made all our ADRs, some at what others are saying hard to obtain places or times.

Now my MIL is going to be in Florida for one of the weeks we are there visiting her parents, and willing to drive up to stay off site and spend 2 days at Disney with us.

We of course are ecstatic that we can have alone time with just her at Disney. Our problem (yes DH has the same hesitations) is that she doesn't like all parks equally and can we change ADRs to add one more person even though she will be paying OOP and not on the DP? We might have to change around our plans too. This is doable, just a shock that came unexpectedly. We will hold off on changing any of our reservations until we know she is definitely going and what exact dates she will be there for.

I want to stress that we are happy to have her be with us for 2 full days of Disney. Last trip she went most often with DH's sister's family, thus we have her all to ourselves for this trip.

Thanks Remmy
If you're planning on adding her to the reservation at your hotel, and you're on the Dining Plan, then she has to be on the Dining Plan as well, which means technically you cannot add her to your ADRs as paying OOP. If she's staying somewhere else, or none of you are on the DP, then it's not as big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
NKOTB....oh I remember them..the start of my boy band obsession that would move on in the later years to The Backstreet Boys!!
Haha... I kind of wanted to go to a NKOTB or Backstreet Boys concert this year (or did the BSB tour last year?) but I just cannot afford it. Besides, it would only be fun if I went with my sister, since she went through the whole boy band obsession with me, and she lives too far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
My little sis is only 4 hours away and I'm always missing her! I don't know if I could ever be 3,000 miles away from her! That must be so hard.
My sister lives about 1,000 miles away... it kind of sucks. My baby sister only lives about 100 miles away, but she's 6 years younger than I am, and we've never been as close. We have been bonding lately over the whole Disney thing though...
My big sister is coming in for my Bridal Shower in a couple weeks though!
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #96
laurainsem
DIS Veteran

Having family far away is so hard. I moved to the east coast for seminary, which was about 5 years ago. It took me six months to get out of my hermit stage. While I do love the east, I miss my family in the northwest. I'm hoping some day they will all decide they love Pennsylvania and move out here!

Sisters are the best. We became so much closer once we hit adulthood. I really don't know what I would do without them. We are all looking forward to the nine days of Disney. It has been several years since we were last all together. One lives in Alaska, the other in Seattle, and i'm out here in Pennsylvania. It is VERY hard to get us all in one state!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #97
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbah77 View Post
Anyway, I'm kind of annoyed with my DH right now. He didn't actually READ the paperwork for his jury duty and given that he's 35, I didn't think I had to. He has to go in tomorrow. And whether or not he serves on a trial, he has to call to see if he has to serve NEXT week as well.

In the meantime, I have that appointment with my surgeon I have to go to alone... and if he has to go in next week, I have to go to my pre-op alone. We're also a one car household and the pre-op isn't on a bus route. My coworkers offered to drive me, but I have to be there at 7:30am and that doesn't seem like a nice thing to ask of them, you know? So I have to get a cab/rent a car/hope he doesn't go in... and then make sure I get all the pre-op instructions right, since he'll be caring for me.

It's NOT the end of the world, but he did have the option to put it off until a date of his choosing, but he decided not to. I feel frustrated and very inconvenienced by his decisions, on top of feeling entirely miserable most of the time.

(edited to add: I also had all these appointments prior to his jury summonings!)

You poor BABY! That's ROTTEN! The old lady (me) thinks she would be jerking his chain right about now. If it's anything more serious than having a mole removed, he WOULD be going with me if I wanted him there, and if you're feeling miserable, I suspect it is more serious than that. If you can't or won't draw the line in the sand with the man, then please please please let your coworker take you, and stay with you, too, if she offers.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #98
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

My countdown!

10 days until my birthday
20 days until my Bridal Shower (and I get to see my sister and my baby nephew)
25 days until my package balance is due (if I decide to change to a package)
32 days until Thanksgiving (and I get to see my little brother)
49 days until Logan's Birthday!
54 days until the end of the semester
60 days until Christmas
68 days until my Wedding!
and 70 DAYS UNTIL MY DISNEYMOON!

(I could have put in all my test and paper due dates, but those aren't happy days... so I abstained)
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Old 10-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #99
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

OK, I need some Snowbird help!!

I just took a look at my d's college fund. Needless to say, it's LOWWWW. Talk about scary!

This trip is for D and me; we haven't been a vacation for several years. I had planned it for last year, but cancelled it for work reasons (hers). Now with what's going on, I'm getting really close to cancelling.

Somebody, please tell me why I shouldn't!!

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #100
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
Dancegrrl, since the hot bath didn't work for you, may I suggest a trick I learned from the marathoners? The girls take cool to tepid soaks when they first come off the course to get the lactic acid out of their muscles. Later in the evening they might hit the hot tub or a hot bath, but the cool one definitely comes first. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. You'd think that being a dancer my entire life I should know something about being sore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post

My sister lives about 1,000 miles away... it kind of sucks. My baby sister only lives about 100 miles away, but she's 6 years younger than I am, and we've never been as close. We have been bonding lately over the whole Disney thing though...
My big sister is coming in for my Bridal Shower in a couple weeks though!
My sisters and I are all 7 yrs apart. Yes, you read that correctly. 7 years! My big sis (who just got married!) is 33 and my little sis is 19 and a soph in college. She's away at school and I always miss her. I get to see her next Sunday because she'll be playing field hockey only an hour away from here. So exciting!

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Old 10-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #101
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurainsem View Post
Hello snowbird peeps,

It's been a little while since i've been on here, and I must say I was not even a little surprised to see part III!!

My "baby" sister leaves to go back to Seattle tomorrow after an extended visit. I am really bummed but know I will see her at Disney. It's never easy living 3,000 miles away from your nearest family member!

Tonight after she packs, we are going to sit down with some mix drinks and try to do the rest of our itinerary. Should be fun and a great way to end our visit!
Welcome Back Laura! So glad to see you have returned! Hope things are better for you and your congregation now!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #102
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurainsem View Post
Having family far away is so hard. I moved to the east coast for seminary, which was about 5 years ago. It took me six months to get out of my hermit stage. While I do love the east, I miss my family in the northwest. I'm hoping some day they will all decide they love Pennsylvania and move out here!

Sisters are the best. We became so much closer once we hit adulthood. I really don't know what I would do without them. We are all looking forward to the nine days of Disney. It has been several years since we were last all together. One lives in Alaska, the other in Seattle, and i'm out here in Pennsylvania. It is VERY hard to get us all in one state!
A few years ago my brother, sister, and I decided that we would only live one state apart, and anyone who broke that bond forfeit the right to complain when they never got visited. Basically, our thinking was it wasn't too much fun for us to get in the car and drive for a million hours to visit family members like our parents always made us do, and our relatives are always complaining because we don't come to visit them (even though they rarely come visit us).
Unfortunately, it didn't really stick. Our parents (and most of the rest of the family, live in Kansas) and my sister and brother live in Georgia and Utah respectively, so much for the one state away rule. My sister is the only one with a kid at this point, and I can't really complain, because I know I'll be moving somewhere far away as soon as Logan commissions. I just hope we don't end up too far away from each other, because I love spending time with my family.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #103
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

So Snowbirds! Are we going to see some codes tomorrow? I sure hope so! Hope everyone has had a great weekend and is ready for another busy week! Going to go watch a movie with DH now so I'll say my goodnights! Catch y'all in the A.M.! Sweet Dreams Snowbirds!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #104
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post
A few years ago my brother, sister, and I decided that we would only live one state apart, and anyone who broke that bond forfeit the right to complain when they never got visited. Basically, our thinking was it wasn't too much fun for us to get in the car and drive for a million hours to visit family members like our parents always made us do, and our relatives are always complaining because we don't come to visit them (even though they rarely come visit us).
Unfortunately, it didn't really stick. Our parents (and most of the rest of the family, live in Kansas) and my sister and brother live in Georgia and Utah respectively, so much for the one state away rule. My sister is the only one with a kid at this point, and I can't really complain, because I know I'll be moving somewhere far away as soon as Logan commissions. I just hope we don't end up too far away from each other, because I love spending time with my family.

I love spending time with my family too. Growing up, my sisters and I fought like crazy! Who knew we'd grow up to be the best of friends. My immediate family lives in Buffalo which is so nice. My extended family mostly lives in Syracuse which isn't too far. My DH's family moved to Florida a few years ago and I know that kinda stinks for him. His mom came to visit this past May and it was the first time we've seen her in over 2 years! His dad (his parents are divorced) lived in Florida for a few years and he just recently moved back up here. I feel bad because my DH hasn't seen his brothers and sister in years. I just couldn't do it! I don't even like the fact that my sister and her husband bought a house that's 20 minutes away! I just love being close to everyone.

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Old 10-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #105
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
Thanks for the advice. You'd think that being a dancer my entire life I should know something about being sore!

My sisters and I are all 7 yrs apart. Yes, you read that correctly. 7 years! My big sis (who just got married!) is 33 and my little sis is 19 and a soph in college. She's away at school and I always miss her. I get to see her next Sunday because she'll be playing field hockey only an hour away from here. So exciting!
Wow!... I'm only a year and a half younger than my older sister (she's 23 and I'll be 22 next week) then my brother is only a year and a half younger than me (he's 20, and will be 21 in March) then my mother got a little more sane. My next brother is almost a full 2 years younger (she still had 4 kids in 5 years... and took us all to Disney by herself when we lived in Florida) then the next is 3 years younger, and the baby is 4 years younger.
I have been getting to know the youngest kids a little better recently...but I was an obnoxious selfish teenager, so I didn't spend as much time with them as I should have.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: