Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
MomOf3kiddies
Earning My Ears

Question Question about sunscreen on airplane...

HI all!
We are leaving tomorrow for WDW and were wondering how to pack sunscreen. I know there are restrictions on liquids being in the 3oz bottles, but what about sunscreen?Can we pack them into the carry on or just our regular luggage?
Anyone, please help with this so I can finish packing for our trip!
THANKX!!!!!!

MomOf3kiddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Brer Chump
Cousin of the great Zen Philosopher Bosho

3-1-1

Sunscreen is subject to the 3-1-1 rule for carry on. If you have a larger container then it must be in checked luggage.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
TheWog
The Curse has been Reversed
We did it on St. Thomas
That sounds like my way to watch them

I believe it is considered a liquid and subject to the carry-on restrictions. Make sure you put it in a plastic bag in your checked luggage just in case it leaks.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Disneycouple99
DIS Veteran

It is absolutely subject to the 3-1-1 rule. We had a 3.5 oz. container of sunscreen in carry-on for the kids and TSA tossed it out at security.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
MomOf3kiddies
Earning My Ears

Question Thanks!!!

Thanks so much!!!
I understand we are also to put medications, prescriptions in the clear bags also in carry-ons. What if I have a bottle of Children's motrin that over 4oz? I don't even think they make this in a travel size?? Do I also put that in the bag even tho it's bigger than that?? Or do I put it seperately in checked luggage? Sorry, this is all so confusing! I haven't been on a plane since 1998!!!
Thanks so much!!!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
MomOf3kiddies
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneycouple99 View Post
It is absolutely subject to the 3-1-1 rule. We had a 3.5 oz. container of sunscreen in carry-on for the kids and TSA tossed it out at security.
So should I try to buy all small containers of sunscreen, try to just put it in checked baggage (the bigger container) or wait until we are out there to buy it!! LOL!!!
This gets confusing!!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Brer Chump
Cousin of the great Zen Philosopher Bosho

From tsa.gov regarding medications

"Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint."

If you have a car I would buy the sunscreen down there off property, if no car then I would pack in checked luggage. Sunscreen on WDW property or in hotel gift shops can be pricey.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Disneycouple99
DIS Veteran

The only reason we had the small container was because our luggage was taken by ME to the resort so need a small bit to put on when we arrived.

As PP stated, buying sunscreen in the world would require a loan.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
buzz1fan
I Can't wait to be back!

Last June, i had 3 new bottles, different kinds, face, baby, adult , and I completey forgot about the rule. I had them in my carry on for swimming when we got there. I had to toss them, or go back to the other line and check them in... The only sunscreen they sold at Poly and All Star Movies was coppertone, and my kids break out from that. It was very frustrating that I couldnt get what i needed. I learned my lesson!
buzz1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
MrsToad

Mouseketeer

I just buy a small or travel size container of 3 ounces or less (my current one is 2 ounces) to put in my 3-1-1 carry-on bag for use that first afternoon and then pack full size bottles for us in plastic bags in our checked luggage. Makes it very easy.
MrsToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsToad View Post
I just buy a small or travel size container of 3 ounces or less (my current one is 2 ounces) to put in my 3-1-1 carry-on bag for use that first afternoon and then pack full size bottles for us in plastic bags in our checked luggage. Makes it very easy.
Ditto!

Op--were you aware that your clear bags have to be quart sized? Not any bigger or any smaller. And you can have a bag for each person with a ticket, so if you have a family of 4, you can have 4 bags. You could even fill one bag with sunscreen, as long as it was all bottles of 3 oz or less.

We ended up buying some spray on sunscreen at Epcot this past May. And I about choked at the price! Definately put some in your checked baggage (I put all my liquid stuff in zip-lock baggies), and then don't forget to take some to the park with you!:
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneycouple99 View Post

As PP stated, buying sunscreen in the world would require a loan.
Understatment of the century I about fainted, but it was my fault, I forgot it in Feb, and I had to have it..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: