Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #16
mom2mek
Obsessed with Disney

Wow Julia! That is some drive! We drove it from Virginia in November and it was about 12 hours (supposed to be 11, but we hit some traffic) but I think if we did it again, we would attempt the through the night thing! It would be nice to save the money from airfare (plus I hate to fly ), so it would suit me! Shawn....not so much. But he could get over it, right? He would probably tell me "you drive with the kids, and I'll meet you!" And then jump on a plane!

He sounds a lot like your DH - electronics, electronics, electronics...

Can't wait to hear about your first "real" day at Disney World!

Sara
Old 10-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #17
travelmel
Blue Banana Vacation Club

Gotta love those DVD players for a long trip. That is a lifesaver!

The Flippant Trip: Disneyland and DCA Summer CLICK ME

Twilight Prom Party Post & Subsequent mini-TR(pg 19-21)CLICK ME

Psst...take a listen to.... http://www.jackiegreene.com/
Think of Springsteen, Tom Petty, or Bob Dylan, only with a great singing voice.

"He Dazzles Me Frequently"

{Muzak playing} Please hold while your party is connected. {more muzak} We're sorry... your party is temporarily too fat in the bandwidth to answer this siggie. Your call is very important to her. When she gets done applying her sparkle cream and sweating her Mii down to a reasonable size she will be back with her regular silliness. {muzak followed by a brief interuption where you think your party will answer then....} Please continue to hold. {resume muzak}

In danger of having my Wish Membership revoked! Does my siggie make me look fat?? : wishmember
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #18
xoktenox
DIS Veteran

Yayyy a chapter! Kudos to making that long of a drive in one shot but what i think is even more impressive is that the kids lasted that long! I know they were sleeping and stuff but still, thats a long drive for them too. Looking forward to more
7-8/13- BWV~~3/14- OKW~~ 8/14- AS Music, VGF & Pop~~ 10/14- SSR (2nd anniversary!)~~11/14- ?? (Chris' 30th birthday)

Current PTR: August 2014 Birthday & Anniversary Celebration with the (GASP!) Non-Believers

Old 10-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #19
izzyzoeybear
Mouseketeer

I hate that drive. We are in Indiana so I know how long it can take for that ride. We usually fly because of the timing...but if prices keep going up I can forsee a time when we will be driving again.

Electronics....must be a man thing.. My DH is the same way...PSP, DS for DS, DVD, phones, chargers and of course the lap top....and that is just for a couple hour drive....I have been banned from taking "my" laptop with me since he is not going....he asked me to leave it at home for him so he is not as he puts it.."tied to the desktop."

I an excited to read chapter 2 and see your pics of the world.!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post27942346
Old 10-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #20
Poohtigeey
DIS Veteran

Yuck. I thought our 16 hour drive was bad. We also drive all night, and it works well for us, and we usually don't get lost until we get to Orlando. One of these days we'll figure it out! Looking forward to hearing more, and seeing some pictures.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #21
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I am just amazed that you were able to make that long drive (almost three times the length of our ride down to Orlando) in one go! I would have been screaming by the end of it!
We did surprisingly well! I think it was the whole mentality of the pot of gold at the end of the tunnel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mek View Post
Wow Julia! That is some drive! We drove it from Virginia in November and it was about 12 hours (supposed to be 11, but we hit some traffic) but I think if we did it again, we would attempt the through the night thing! It would be nice to save the money from airfare (plus I hate to fly ), so it would suit me! Shawn....not so much. But he could get over it, right? He would probably tell me "you drive with the kids, and I'll meet you!" And then jump on a plane!

He sounds a lot like your DH - electronics, electronics, electronics...

Can't wait to hear about your first "real" day at Disney World!

Sara
Oh yes, you never go anywhere without the electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmel View Post
Gotta love those DVD players for a long trip. That is a lifesaver!
Whoever came up with that was genius. However, whoever came up with controlling headphone capability through a remote that could get lost was an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoktenox View Post
Yayyy a chapter! Kudos to making that long of a drive in one shot but what i think is even more impressive is that the kids lasted that long! I know they were sleeping and stuff but still, thats a long drive for them too. Looking forward to more
Yes, we were very impressed with the kids, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyzoeybear View Post
I hate that drive. We are in Indiana so I know how long it can take for that ride. We usually fly because of the timing...but if prices keep going up I can forsee a time when we will be driving again.

Electronics....must be a man thing.. My DH is the same way...PSP, DS for DS, DVD, phones, chargers and of course the lap top....and that is just for a couple hour drive....I have been banned from taking "my" laptop with me since he is not going....he asked me to leave it at home for him so he is not as he puts it.."tied to the desktop."

I an excited to read chapter 2 and see your pics of the world.!!
By the end of the drive home, the kids were bored with all their options though, I must say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohtigeey View Post
Yuck. I thought our 16 hour drive was bad. We also drive all night, and it works well for us, and we usually don't get lost until we get to Orlando. One of these days we'll figure it out! Looking forward to hearing more, and seeing some pictures.
We couldn't believe what the driving was like once we got to the World, and Orlando. Just insane. Thank goodness for GPS!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #22
KittyKat08
Mouseketeer

Just joining in, can't wait to hear more.

From about 1979 till now Disneyland all the time!
2008 First trip to Walt Disney World, POFQ & offsite
2008 First DCL trip on the Disney Wonder

My Honeymoon TR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2054154

Thanks pamouselover
Old 10-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #23
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Chapter 2: Oct. 9th-Arrival Day!

So after hitting about an HOUR of torrential downpour rain on the way into Orlando, we FINALLY arrived into Orlando.

We stopped at the first McDonald's we saw, because we were starving, and I was super annioyed with that hour of driving. It turned out to be a motorcycle-themed McDonald's with a HUGE children's play area/arcade.

The arcade games were played with a card that you preloaded with credits. The kids took turns with the credits, collected tickets, fed them into a machine, and came away with a few little prizes they picked out. Very preferable to some snotty kid behind a ticket prize counter, IMO. Also, we left w/two tickets and the re-loadable card, which is a nice little souvie for the scrapbook.

We let them play as long as they like, as they had been SO GOOD in the car.

This McDonald's is the one at 5400 S. Kirkman Rd., here is there website: CLICK HERE. I really recommend it. We ate usual fare, but it was nice to see healthier options on the menu as well.

After that, we headed to the hotel. The Clarion Maingate.

The kids were SO EXCITED. You could stay at any hotel and they would be SO EXCITED.

As many of you know, I was REALLY not happy with this hotel originally. I had a ton in mind, but decided on a whim to do Priceline. I secured this room for $40 a night. So, it was a place to sleep. With research, I was happy to find out it was close to the parks, could easily access World Drive via a shortcut through the parking lot behind the hotel, and had a fridge and microwave.

HOWEVER, upon check in, despite having confirmed said microwave and fridge by phone two weeks earlier, I was informed that those were not available with Priceline bookings, unless I wanted to pay an addt'l $10 a night. Not unreasonable, however, I just wanted to get settled, and save that $40 for souvies, kwim? So DH and I decided that we prolly wouldn't eat in the room even WITH those amenities, and keep the cooler loaded with ice.

The room itself was fine. Two fulls though, and after DS woke up 1/2-way through the night the first night and joined DH and I, I switched sleeping arrangements to Mom/DD, and Dad/DS. Much roomier for me, not so much for DH.

Here's the hotel/room, in case your interested.

.................................CONT............. ...........

Last edited by julezdisney; 10-20-2008 at 06:29 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #24
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

You made it to Orlando and your hotel!!!

Onward to the next fun thing...
Old 10-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #25
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Chapter 2:Oct. 9th- Arrival Day! CONT....

............................CONT'D................ .....................

After settling into our room, we headed to Downtown Disney!

According to my visual itinerary, we were going to TRY to maybe do the Boardwalk or Poly for fireworks for this first night. However, I'd noted on the way down that I'd never squeezed in Downtown Disney ANYWHERE, and since I'd heard it was way bigger & better than DLR's could ever dream... I really wanted to see the mega-ness of World of Disney, as well as Pin Traders, etc.

So when DH suggested DtD... I was excited! Especially since he had any suggestion at ALL, I thought, OK, maybe he's getting into the spirit of this!

Here we are in front of a topiary. Now, who can tell me, is this Pooh w/a honey pot or Mickey pouring out something? This was great debate between the kids, DH and I.

Ok, so first-timers opinion of Downtown Disney..... erm....a shopper's mecca. LOL.

In "Once Upon a Toy", the kids experienced Magic Moments #1 and #2. They walked in and began playing with Mr. Potato Head parts immediately. The cast members saw them and said, "Whatcha doin?" and they said, "Seeing who can make the silliest Potato Head." and they asked DD and DS to be JUDGES in a contest between the cast members! So, as judges, they not only picked the "winner" but they also got certificate keepsakes, and got to pick out a pin each! Rach picked out Cinderella reading a book, and Ebin picked out Stitch on Space Mountain!

Here they are with their certificates:

Now, while they were doing this, I was at the Pin Cart outside the store. I really enjoyed the Pin cart. I had never seen so many different designs ever. I really hummed and hawed about this. I wasn't trading- but collecting on my first lanyard. I agonized. I picked out some pins for myself, DD, and DS. Not for DH because he wasn't doing pin-trading or collecting. Now, when I asked him months before we left if he wanted to get a lanyard and some starter pins, you shoulda seen the look he gave me. Rember that for later. I'll show you what we got in the "Souvies" section at the end. Gotta keep you hanging, somehow, right?

I didn't get to enjoy "World of" so much, as the kids were excitedly pulling me in a million directions. Guess that's one for a future trip.... Ebin picked out souvies for his little brother and his maternal grandpa back home. Jim bought a $6 beer. I picked up a pin for my best gal pal at work and a pen for another nurse at work who'd let me pixie-dust myself daily with her Disneyland pen for the last 8 mos. I was mulling over the many mickey-handled kitchen-tools at "Everything 10 or less" when DH dragged us out of there.

I forgot to mention, that after the Potato Head contest, the kids discovered the wonder that is the make-your-own-light-saber station. Which, to the tune of $21.50 each, was DH's dream toy. He managed to hornswaggle Rachael into thinking she wanted one too. This is magic moment #2. When they were checking out, the cast member told them they got to pick out Sith or Jedi pins! Rachael picked Jedi, Ebin picked Sith.

We got Goofy's Glaciers at Goofy's Candy Co. and mozied out of there in the drizzling rain.

Happy with our purchases and looking forward to a good night's sleep in real beds in anticipation of our next morning @ 1900 Park Fare!

Our own little Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum:

Sweet Dreams await...
Old 10-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #26
travelmel
Blue Banana Vacation Club

Right on! Sounds like a great first evening. I feel an additional lanyard coming on!

The Flippant Trip: Disneyland and DCA Summer CLICK ME

Twilight Prom Party Post & Subsequent mini-TR(pg 19-21)CLICK ME

Psst...take a listen to.... http://www.jackiegreene.com/
Think of Springsteen, Tom Petty, or Bob Dylan, only with a great singing voice.

"He Dazzles Me Frequently"

{Muzak playing} Please hold while your party is connected. {more muzak} We're sorry... your party is temporarily too fat in the bandwidth to answer this siggie. Your call is very important to her. When she gets done applying her sparkle cream and sweating her Mii down to a reasonable size she will be back with her regular silliness. {muzak followed by a brief interuption where you think your party will answer then....} Please continue to hold. {resume muzak}

In danger of having my Wish Membership revoked! Does my siggie make me look fat?? : wishmember
Old 10-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #27
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat08 View Post
Just joining in, can't wait to hear more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmel View Post
Right on! Sounds like a great first evening. I feel an additional lanyard coming on!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:03 AM   #28
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Oh, I am so guessing that DH ends up wanting a lanyard!!!

That is so great about the Magical Moments for the kids -- how cool!!! And on your first night at Disney!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #29
Poohtigeey
DIS Veteran

Aw, the kids look so happy!!! Sounds like a great first night! Kids are so funny. They get so excited to stay at a hotel. My kids are like that too. They love adventure! Can't wait to hear about you first park day!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #30
Cindeegyrl
Mouseketeer

Great report so far, can't wait for the next installment!

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/uwdk55avwfoq3bxy.png[/img]

March 2009 - Mickey's Condo @ Windsor Hills
Aug 2001 - Offsite (Disney & Islands of Adventure - Me & DH)
Summer 1993 - Port Orleans
Summer 1990 - Offsite
1983 (I think, I was only 4 or 5) - Offsite

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: