Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

Talking Our first trip home - Day 3

Friday October 12th 2007

Today’s morning started bright and warm.

So looking at the forecast of mid 80’s Typhoon Lagoon it would be So after breakfast of juice and toast we headed off in the car. We got to TL slightly before opening which meant once we could head into the main area we were able to get our spot in the corner It wasn’t looking too busy to start with.

First thing was to stow all valuables in the locker before heading off to Crush and Gusher.

Again this ride never disappoints and we did all three tubes and managed to stay upright when we exited into the pool. It was then time for a relaxing ride and lazy river was calling. Once we had done a circuit it was time to soak up the sun which by now was getting rather warm and it wasn’t even midday. One small thing was drink so we got the refillable mug which was great for a nice cold drink when needed, along with a cookie. After an hour or so we headed off for a walk around and it was getting a lot busier.

After taking various pictures including the wave pool, shark reef and lazy river we went into the wave pool to catch a few waves before soaking up the sun for a bit longer.

It was early afternoon when we headed back to the room for a shower before heading off for an early dinner at DTD as tonight we were joining Ian & Lynn, Highlander & crew plus Claire and Neil for the Hallowishes Cruise. Once at DTD we decided to head for Wolfgang Pucks and we were soon seated in the bar area. Beers were ordered and we both chose the spring roll for appetizer. The sauces were a great compliment to the spring rolls.

I then had the pepperoni and garlic pizza.

While Nathan had the BBQ chicken pizza.

It was time for dessert and they did look so tempting, so I ordered the Key Lime Pie.

Not wanting to miss ice cream Nathan had the ice cream pie!

Once we had finished we caught the bus to the Grand Floridian and found Ian and Lynn in the bar as arranged. Soon after Highlander and crew arrived but no sign of Claire and Neil We thought they may have jumped ship! Upon arriving at the boat dock we found Claire and Neil and soon we were on the boat with Capt Andy. Now this is where the real story on the ‘high seas’ starts!! The Pontoon was all set up for the evening and as Capt Andy tried to start the boat it paused and wouldn’t start. Here began the ‘experience’, now Andy is not young in years and a little deaf so that caused no end of problems. First Andy did not realise the radio was on, it was quite loud, he also did not see that the lights were on and maybe draining an already weak battery. Even so after numerous attempts at starting the motor was getting more and more flooded and weaker and weaker it was time to concede defeat! To add to this we were now drifting with no communications other than a mobile phone Luckily another pontoon also leaving the dock helped us back to tie up whilst assistance was sought from Amanda, the supervisor, via mobile phone. By now time was getting short and when Amanda arrived there was a further attempt to start the pontoon, but this once again failed. After deciding our pontoon was no longer an option we moved onto a smaller boat, but would have no music for the fireworks. As we made our way out onto Seven Seas Lagoon thoughts, and comments, turned to various disaster movies and were there alligators in the lake! There was also a close encounter with the ferry from the TTK to MK which really was a lot bigger than us, which after Ian’s prompting Andy saw and slowed down to give way to. Once we were in position we saw the Electric Water Pageant over by the Contemporary.

And then it was time for Hallowishes. The fireworks looked great from a distance but shame we had no music to accompany them I did try and get some pictures but due to the boat moving they didn’t come out at all well! As we were late getting onto the lake we didn’t do the usual tour, which Amanda said to do after as she waved us off earlier. After confirming with Andy that this was actually said we went over to Wilderness Lodge and saw how the designer had made the front at night with lights on look like a bear. Once the tour was over we were soon on our way back to the Grand Floridian and dry land! Considering how we were all feeling a drink was in order before saying goodbye to everyone and making our way back to SSR.

Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Oh dear shame the cruise was marred by the disasters !

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
raph_b
Proud Redhead

Your pics of TL are amazing - the sky is so clear and blue! Looks like a lovely day

Shame about the cruise
Feb 1999 - DLRP - Sequoia Lodge (4 nights)
May 2007 - DLRP - Daytrip
Sep 2008 - WDW - Offsite (2 weeks)
Mar 2009 - DLRP - Hotel New York (3 nights)
Nov 2009 - DLHK - Daytrip
Sep 2010 - WDW - Last trip before its time to have babies!

Thank you O' great Tag Fairy - You have made this Proud Redhead a very happy bunny!!
raph_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
KayleeUK
Still here.....

What a shame about the boat
Old 10-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Wow, that Key Lime Pie looks delish.

Shame about the boat though

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Such a shame about your Wishes Cruise. Did you manage to get any money back due to the smaller boat & no music?

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

How disappointing! Having done the IllumiNations cruise many times, I'd love to do the Wishes one, but I can guarantee this kind of disaster would befall us, too. No matter how many times we've seen FITS and Wishes from California Grill, something always goes wrong. One time, the music feed didn't work and we watched Wishes accompanied by... The Thomson Twins . Bizarre in the extreme.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky166 View Post
Such a shame about your Wishes Cruise. Did you manage to get any money back due to the smaller boat & no music?
Sorry for the late reply, but yes got a full refund and to add we are trying another Wishes cruise in December, just hope it is Capt Andy's day off

Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

so disappointing when you are so looking forward to something to not have it.

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

A lovely day. Glad the unexpected turn and ensuing scramble to get a boat in position for the fireworks didn't spoil your good time. Hard to be philosophical at the time, but after an episode like that is over you have a more interesting story to tell than if all went to plan. I read once that "experience" is what we get when we don't get what we wanted. I think what happened to you and Nathan that night certainly qualifies as an "experience."

A quick word about Wolfgang's--I love that man and his food. Your photos brought back several great memories and made me smile.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Lovely report but shame the Wishes cruise didn't go as planned, at least it didn't sink.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Food looks great in the pictures - shame about the boat - hope you managed to get another one sorted. We have done the Wished cruise and really enjoyed it. I saw a few on the illuminations cruise central to share.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: