Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Pooh67_68
My head looked like a brillo pad
DH gave me roses ... just because :)
Someone please take pity on me, and send me a small piece of pecan pie

Talking Please post your favorite cookie recipe

I have been to the cooking board, got some great recipes to try. I have checked out all the WFD threads and I even did the holiday recipe exchange. However I love to cook and bake and I do a lot of holiday baking. So please share your favorite cookie recipe, they can be extensive or short and sweet, I'm not picky.

Thanks, Heidi

Last edited by Pooh67_68; 10-15-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Pooh67_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Pooh67_68

I'll even add one of mine.

Snowball Cookies

1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 cup toasted pecans, chopped fine
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour

Cream butter and powdered sugar.
Add salt and vanilla, mix. Slowly add flour, fold in pecans. Chill for 1/2 hour.
Roll into balls and place on sprayed cookie sheet. Bake at 350º 12 minutes.
Remove and cool slightly, then roll in additional powdered sugar.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Master Mason

Can't stand tomatoes in the larval stage

I haven't made these in years and I just found my mom's recipie the other night.

Meringue Kisses

4 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 small bag of chocholate chips

beat eggs whites, salt and cream of tarter until stiff peaks form. Add sugar 2 tbs at a time until meringue stiffens. Add vinilla and beat again. Fold in chocolate chips.

Bake on a brown paper bag at 275 degrees 30 minutes
Master Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

These are in my top 10 of favorites! They are so soft and delicious. Cookies are my favorite thing to bake and I make around 20 different types during the holidays. Looking forward to this thread!

RASPBERRY ALMOND SHORTBREAD THUMBPRINTS

Package these buttery rich thumbprint cookies filled with raspberry preserves and drizzled with an almond glaze in a creative holiday tin.

Preparation time: 45 min Baking time: 14 min
Yield: 3 1/2 dozen cookies

Cookie Ingredients:
1 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup raspberry jam**

Glaze Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract

Combine butter, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour. Beat, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb (edges may crack slightly). Fill each indentation with about 1/4 teaspoon jam.

Bake for 14 to 18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.

Meanwhile, stir together all glaze ingredients in small bowl with wire whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. .

**Substitute 1/2 cup of your favorite flavor jam.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
loco4dis
DIS Veteran

These are soooo good, so easy, and provide a nice darker colored cookie on your holiday cookie plate to contrast with the white flour and colorful cookies.

GRAMMY'S CHOCOLATE COOKIES

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen

Ingredients:
-2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
-3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder (you can use the Hershey's stuff that comes in a little box)
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon table salt
-10 ounces (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
-2 cups granulated sugar (and a small bowl's worth for dipping)
-2 large eggs
-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
-Sanding sugar for dipping (regular sugar is fine too)

1. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer (supposed to be fitted with the paddle attachment, but I just use regular beaters), beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat to combine. Reduce speed to low, and gradually add flour and cocoa mixture; beat to combine. Form dough into a flattened disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 1 hour (or you can just keep it in the mixer bowl and stick it in the fridge).
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch diameter balls. Roll each ball in the sugar. Place on prepared baking sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating halfway through (If they're cracked on top, they're probably done). Transfer to a rack to cool for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies from baking sheet to wire rack.
loco4dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Pooh67_68

Master Mason, never had a recipe call for baking on a brown paper bag.

Thanks for the recipes so far.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Master Mason

Can't stand tomatoes in the larval stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh67_68 View Post
Master Mason, never had a recipe call for baking on a brown paper bag.

Thanks for the recipes so far.
It doesn't conduct heat like a pan would. If you cooked it long enought to be cooked on a pan you would burn the bottom of the merangue.

Just get a big bag from your grocery store and cut it down one edge and then cut the bottom off.
Master Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Michelle67
I guess I shouldn't wonder why my kids think I'm crazy
I guaran-darn-tee ya!
I don't do innards

I make these every year during our Christmas cookie baking bonanza (many women, two days, total pandemonium). My mother's friend always made them for Christmas when I was a kid, and they are really nostalgic for me.

Mincemeat Popovers

Dough:
1 c butter (NO SUBSTITUTE)
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1/2 c sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp orange zest
2 c flour

Filling:
1 1/4 c prepared mincemeat
1 TBSP orange juice
1 tsp orange zest

Beat butter and cream cheese together on medium to high for about 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat to combine, then mix in orange zest and add flour. Cover and chill at least one hour. Roll out 1/8 inch thick, and cut circles with a popover maker or biscuit cutter. Place about 1 tsp filling in each, moisten edges, and crimp to form popovers. Bake at 375* 12-15 min or until bottoms ONLY are lightly browned.

While working, the dough MUST be kept cold. I split it in two or three balls and work one at a time while the others are in the fridge, and I refrigerate the cuttings and edges before I re-roll them. I also use a marble board and rolling pin, but you don't have to. If the dough gets warm, it wants to shrink and pull, and doesn't crimp well. It also tends to get rubbery which makes the finished popovers tough.

Lots of people dislike mincemeat, so I actually use a mixture of my mother's plum preserves, chopped drried cranberries, and nuts in these. We've also used different jams, and one year my sister cut small pieces of candy bars and put in them. You can use just about anything inside, you just have to keep the amount small or they will burst open on ya.

Last edited by Michelle67; 10-17-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Michelle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #9
beattyfamily
DIS Cast Member
Has Oodles of Poodles
And the Tag Fairy wants to hug them all!!

I love baking cookies!!

I'll post a few of my favorites!!!

These first ones takes time but come out beautiful and are delicious.

Italian Christmas Rainbow Cookies

Ingredients:

7 oz marzipan paste or almond paste
1 cup sugar
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 drops green food coloring, or to desired color
5 drops red food coloring, or to desired color
12-oz jar raspberry jam (preferably seedless)
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 3 (13- by 9-inch) metal baking pans. Line bottom of each with wax paper, letting it extend at 2 opposite ends, and grease paper. Break marzipan paste into small pieces and grind with sugar in food processor until no lumps remain. Transfer to a large bowl and add butter. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, then add yolks and almond extract and beat well. Beat in flour and salt on low speed. Beat egg whites in another bowl with cleaned beaters until they just hold stiff peaks and stir one third into batter to lighten slightly (batter will still be stiff). Fold in remaining whites thoroughly. Divide dough into thirds (about 1 1/2 cups each). Stir green food coloring into one third and red food coloring into another, leaving one third plain. Spread each dough separately into a pan. (Layers will be thin.)
Bake layers in batches in middle of oven until just set and beginning to turn golden along edges, 7 to 10 minutes total. Run a knife along edges to loosen from pan, then while still hot, invert a large rack over pan and invert layer onto rack, pulling gently on wax paper overhangs to release if necessary. Peel off wax paper and cool completely.

Line a large shallow baking pan with wax paper and slide green layer into it. Spread half of jam evenly over green layer and carefully top with plain layer. Spread remaining jam evenly over uncolored layer and carefully top with pink layer (trim edges if necessary). Cover with plastic wrap and weight with a large cutting board or baking pan. Chill at least 3 hours.

Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Remove weight and plastic wrap and spread chocolate evenly over top, but not sides, of pink layer. Let stand at room temperature until set, about 1 hour, and cut into small diamonds (12 rows crosswise and 12 diagonal rows).

Cooks’' note: Do not make this dough ahead.

Storage: Store in an airtight container, layered between strips of wax paper, for up to 3 weeks. (Note: These cookies may be frozen, preferably before slicing.) This cookie improves with age.

For best flavor, make the cookies up to 3 days before serving and store them covered in the refrigerator.

Makes about 7 dozen diamonds.

Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookie Logs

Cook Time: 10 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour
Yields: 48 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour 2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2. Cream together butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Mix in the flour, and then one cup of the chocolate chips. Shape dough into 2x1/2 inch logs. Place logs 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
3. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes in preheated oven, or until firm. Let cookies cool completely before removing from pan (shortbread is brittle).
4. Melt the remaining 1 cup chocolate chips and shortening over a double boiler, stirring frequently until smooth. Dip one end of each cookie into the chocolate, then into the nuts. Place onto waxed paper until set.

Russian Tea Cakes/Mexican Wedding cookies/Kouranbiethes (Greek) Cookies/Snowballs

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 12 Minutes Ready In: 35 Minutes
Yields: 36 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or almond)
6 tablespoons confectioners'
sugar 2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped Pecans, ground fine
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for
decoration

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, cream butter and vanilla until smooth. Combine the 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar and flour; stir into the butter mixture until just blended. Mix in the chopped walnuts. Roll dough into mini balls, and place them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When cool, roll in remaining confectioners' sugar. I also like to roll mine in the sugar a second time.

Notes:
You can freeze the dough
Store in an airtight container
If dough is crumbly, add 1 Tbsp milk

Options:
Choc Chips
Sprinkles
Cloves (Greek)
Good with almond extract, pecans (fine)
and you can add green food coloring to be festive.

Big Soft Ginger Cookies

These are just what they say: big, soft, gingerbread cookies. They stay soft, too.

Servings: 24

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons white sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
beattyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
Poohgirl
New DVC member, SSR
Learned the hard way that twist ties and microwaves don't mix

Nothing to share yet, but I am sooooo in on this thread! Oatmeal, Chocolate chip recipies welcome!
AKV & Saratoga - 4/24/08 - 5/4/08
Disney's Vero Beach - 8/07
Boardwalk Villas & Saratoga- 04/07
Riverside - 2/07
Saratoga Springs - F&W - MNSSHP - 09/06
Beach Club Villas - 04/06
Wilderness Lodge Villas - 02/06
Port Orleans French Quarter - MNSSHP - 10/05
Boardwalk Villas - 09/05
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 04/05
Poohgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
beattyfamily
DIS Cast Member
Has Oodles of Poodles
And the Tag Fairy wants to hug them all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohgirl View Post
Nothing to share yet, but I am sooooo in on this thread! Oatmeal, Chocolate chip recipies welcome!
How could I forget this one!!??

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scotchies

Preparation - 10 min | Cooking - 7 min | Cooling Time - 15 min cooling | Yields - 48 cookies (4 dozen)

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
1/2 bag 11-oz. pkg Butterscotch chips (or whole bag if you don't want choc chips)
1/2 bag 11-oz pkg semi-sweet choc chip cookies

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
COMBINE flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats and morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 7 to 8 minutes for chewy cookies or 9 to 10 minutes for crisp cookies. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
beattyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
teacups
DIS Veteran

Thanks for this thread!
I will get my recipes out tomorrow and post... that way I can "bump" if needed (And I'm too tired tonight )

I love making lots of yummy cookies!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

Darn! All my great Christmas cookie favorites are down at my DD's..

You'll have to ask this again in November..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #14
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

Oh my- I am a huge fan of mincemeat and any other "old-fashioned" flavors! This sounds yummy! Also, those Big Soft Ginger Cookies are right up my alley. Not as much into the chocolately stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle67 View Post
I make these every year during our Christmas cookie baking bonanza (many women, two days, total pandemonium). My mother's friend always made them for Christmas when I was a kid, and they are really nostalgic for me.

Mincemeat Popovers

Dough:
1 c butter (NO SUBSTITUTE)
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1/2 c sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp orange zest
2 c flour

Filling:
1 1/4 c prepared mincemeat
1 TBSP orange juice
1 tsp orange zest

Beat butter and cream cheese together on medium to high for about 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat to combine, then mix in orange zest and add flour. Cover and chill at least one hour. Roll out 1/8 inch thick, and cut circles with a popover maker or biscuit cutter. Place about 1 tsp filling in each, moisten edges, and crimp to form popovers. Bake at 375* 12-15 min or until bottoms ONLY are lightly browned.

Lots of people dislike mincemeat, so I actually use a mixture of my mother's plum preserves, chopped drried cranberries, and nuts in these. We've also used different jams, and one year my sister cut small pieces of candy bars and put in them. You can use just about anything inside, you just have to keep the amount small or they will burst open on ya.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:13 AM   #15
Pooh67_68

more recipes, thanks.

C. Ann I will ask you in Nov.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: