Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
bradk
She runs to get away from you.

i also said all day .. pretty sure it goes to park closing. so last show is probably half an hour before park closing.

bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #17
Twende
Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....

You did some great sketches! We did it once and it was fun but mine look nothing like yours!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #18
ortholablady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtewolfd View Post
Hey guys,

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who likes to draw or has kids who like to draw. I did TONS of research for 5 months before we went in late September and I don't remember reading anything about this.

If you do the Magic of Animation tour/attraction in Hollywood Studios, when you exit the Mushu lecture, be sure to take your time exploring the exit area. Not only are there interactive stations for coloring, sound, etc., you can meet Sorcerer Mickey and the Incredibles.

But the one thing I did not see in all my research was the fact that there is a 20 minute animation lesson you can take that will teach you to draw a character. The entrance for the class is kind of inconspicuous. There is a small rope area with a couple of benches. There are large sketches on the wall with a sign "Animation Academy." It's right near the sign that says "exit to park" so it's easy to miss if you're focused on moving on to the next thing. We almost missed it. But I ended up going back several times.

Some instructors are better than others, but if nothing else, it's cool, dark, sitting and rarely crowded (in September, at least).

Here's what I learned:

If you have any interest in animation or drawing, or are just curious to see how your Mickey would turn out, I encourage you to try it. This was one of those things that just grabbed me. I had no clue it existed and just happened upon it, but I will be sure to do it at least once each time we return.

Awesome job! I really enjoy that attraction too. Can't wait to go back and do more characters. Here's two that I've done.

ortholablady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #19
MichiganKris
Mouseketeer

Great Tip

My 8 year old daughter will love being able to draw Disney Characters. We are going to have to stop here on our December trip.
MichiganKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #20
carolinagirl
Mouseketeer
OK....I have driving issues
Does NOT want to wake up with the King!!

Just a heads up...when we were there the last week of September, this attraction was only open Sunday-Wednesday. Or at least that is what the Times Guide said. Don't know if this is a common occurence or just happened the week we were there. If you don't want to miss this (and I would recommend that you don't), you might want to check the times guides to make sure it is opened.

carolinagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
mom2aredhead
DIS Veteran

We did it for the first time last trip and it was great! My son (almost 5) loved it although he needed a little help. I never knew this existed, and we just happened on it while killing some time waiting for our TSM fastpasses. It's now on our "must do" list for future trips.
Unfortunately, we drew stitch, our least favorite disney character of all time, but we'll be back next trip for sure!

"Nobody on his deathbed ever said, "I wish I had spent more time at the office." - Paul Tsongas
mom2aredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #22
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Ok, I have never heard of this and I have to do it! Wondering how long the classes are and if they run during PM EMH hours? And do they run on the hour or maybe on the half hour, I want to be sure to fit this in!

And thanks SO much to the OP. I've done Magic of Animation many times, but never knew about this.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #23
Salukfan
Earning My Ears

Oh, I do this *way* too often. I love it over there. I tend to visit at least once a week.

Classes run daily, from 10:30 am until park close (the final class is at park close; i.e., if DHS closes at 8, the final Animation class is at 8). Classes run for about 20 minutes and take place on the hour and the half-hour. Animation is also open for PM EMH.

It's an absolute blast, the artists (and non-artists) are awesome, and you get a free souvineer. Doesn't get much better than that!
Salukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #24
Minniemom97
Mouseketeer

Boy, you guys did an awesome job!!!! My drawings were horrible!!!! It is fun though. Almost our whole gang of travelers do it and we have almost as much fun afterwards laughing at whose drawing is the worst!
Minniemom97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #25
pmickus
Mouseketeer

So if you go through the shop do you need to do the preshow? We did not see the academy last year. I'm not sure they would sit through the preshow again.
pmickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #26
bradk
She runs to get away from you.

no, the shop is the other end of it.

bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #27
tinklvsgoofy05
Earning My Ears

Excited

I am so looking forward to this on my next trip...I have never heard of this before, and I had read a previous post about it as well. It sounds fun and an interesting new thing to do at Disney. Hopefully, I will be bale to find where it is, so I don't miss out.

tinklvsgoofy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #28
Rora
I'm the needy, sexy Unicorn fruit-hating Ballerina
I just eat it. I bite into it.

Thanks for sharing!! DF would looove to do this! Your drawings came out pretty good! DF and I took an animation class on our last Disney Cruise and let's just say that my Goofy looked really really goofy.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #29
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

ortholablady - your Pooh is so cute. I wanted to draw Pooh, but was outvoted, and we did Donald again.

salukfan - thanks for the information on the hours of operation

You can absolutely skip the preshow - I only saw it once. To get to it without the preshow, go through the art gift shop to right of the main "magic of disney animation" entrance. You'll pass through a room with the animation oscars. After that room, turn right and you'll run right into the waiting area for the animation academy.

Oh! and another tip: after class don't forget to ask your teacher for a rubberband so you can roll up your drawing and keep it better protected.

Hurricane Pet Preparedness
'88 / '93 CR / '01 / 9-21-08 ASMo / 9-24-09 Pop / 1-19-11 ASMu / 9-24-11 CBR Pirate! / 1-18-12 ASMo / 1-23-13 AoA / 9-23-13 ASMo / 1-17-14 Pop (NAVC) / 1-22-14 ASMu / 3-1-14 CSR
jwhtewolfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #30
tinkgurl
Life is what happens in between trips to WDW
Those "flying cookies" flying through space can be seen
I'm hoping that the little guy likes them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpenguin View Post
Last time (2 weeks ago) we had a special class and drew Tink!
Now, that's who I would love to learn how to draw!
tinkgurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: