Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
sunlver
Well ahhh, I got poked with a birthday party hat

Kids swallowing money.

Yesterday my youngest(4 yrs old)swallowed a dime .. I was freaking out, I don't know why. I have 2 older kids, a boy who is 14 and another daughter 9. They have never swallowed anything.

I was on the computer, my little one said "mommy I swallowed a coin"...and I said "What coin", so she showed me where there was some change sitting on the end table(thanks to her father). I said "which one?"...well there was a quarter, and a nickel there. She told me it was the one smaller then the nickel. We figured out it was the dime. She wasn't in any pain, it wasnt stuck anywhere. BUT.. I was beside myself and started in my panic mode..I told my son to go get his father, who was outside and I started putting her shoes on. I "thought" we were suppose to take her to the hospital, I just didnt know.
My husband comes inside, and said he "thinks" she will be ok. I told him to call "Somebody"..first we call the hospital, they tell us, cant give out medical advice over the phone ..Then he called her Ped...you leave a message and they call right back(with in 3 minutes we got a return call). Dr said dimes are ok, not normally the cause of choking..by this point we knew the dime went down as she wasn't crying and nothing hurt her. She had a big glass a water and 2 homemade chocolate chip cookies and she was AOK..BUT..she kept wimpering.."mommy I dont want to go to the hospital".

Of course for my own sanity, I went in her room 3 times last night to make sure she was breathing...

She is my 3rd child, you would think I would be use to things like this

Any of your kids ever swallow coins???
sunlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
j&t'sdad
Mouseketeer

If I was to poop out all the coins I swalled when I was a kid, I could retire early.

No worries.
j&t'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
tedhowe
Dad to Grace and Joy

Reminds be of an old joke:

As a new parent, when you first child swallows a coin, you head to the emergency room, have x-rays and get medical advice.

When your second child swallows a coin, you are vigilant in trying to make sure they pass the coin in their BMs.

When your third child swallow's a coin, you just deduct it from their allowance.

Not to make light of the situation, but I think you can relax. About the only danger in swallowing US coins (especially a dime) is at the time they are ingesting it (i.e. they might choke on the coin). If it's already gone down, there's nothing else to really worry about.

"This too shall pass"
5K PR: 29:16 11/22/2012
HM PR: 2:28:15 11/18/12

In Training for my first full marathon: Philadelphia 11/23/2014
tedhowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
binny
do something that MATTERS!

DD swallowed a quarter once. She was able to drink water so I thought she was ok. Pretty soon she started complaining that it hurt so to the ER we went. They did the Xray and sure enough it was stuck but at an angle so that was why the water went down. They were preppring her for a scope when she grabbed my hand and screamed "Mommy it HURTS BAD" she turned bright red and the Doctor was about to intervene when she jumped up and said " Ok all better!"

They did another Xray and sure enough it had passed on its own.

She is my second child the first had swallowed coins and done everything else so I normally wouldnt have worried about it but when the pain started I knew it was time to take her in.

They say that people with happy marriages live longer. I have never seen stats about people with kids! I swear they scare an hour of your life on a regular basis! LOL
binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Minnie_me
I don't wipe butts
Maybe I should mention that I don't wipe noses, either

I saw the funniest bit on America's Funniest Home Videos about this!

They didn't want to go through the child's poo looking for the coin, so they used a metal detector each day to determine where the coin was.

At first, it was in her belly, then they had to turn her around and "scan" her bum. Then there was no metal detected at all. HILARIOUS!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
chattyann
I have this totally crazy irrational fear of potato eyes

My son was in 1st grade and found a quarter on the playground. He didn't want anyone to take it, so he sticks it in his mouth. He ends up tripping and swallowing it. They call me and I hear him screaming in the background "I want my Mommy." I go get him and he is breathing ok but he says he can feel it, just joking DH tells him he can eat a stick of butter and make it go down. He didn't want to go to hospital because he was scared so he is begging us to let him eat the butter. I get him to the hospital and they x-ray him and it is lodged in his throat sideways, thank goodness! They tell him they will have to knock him out and use the scope to get the quarter. As they are wheeling him in the OR he tells the doctor that he wants the quarter back. Needless to say the quarter is now in his baby book along with the scope pictures showing the quarter lodged in his throat. This was all the night before my 3 yr old had his tonsils out. I spent half the night in the ER and then had to go to a different hospital the next morning for my other DS. That was a crazy couple of days.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Amlee
Nobody likes me, Everyone hates me! I'm gonna eat a worm!
My family thinks I have some type of genetic flaw as they ALL iron like mad

I swallowed an emerald ring when I was about 4. I was laying in the floor holding the ring up looking at it. It slipped out of my fingers and right down my throat. My mother who had told me not 5 seconds before to put it down, that I was going to swallow it, had got up and gone to the kitchen. She heard me choaking and came running. She jerked me up and started beating me on the back. She then grab me by the ankle and started shaking me upside down. The ring went down and I stopped choaking.

We went to the ER and they x-rayed me. Sure enough there the ring was. Sitting just above my stomach. They said we would have to come in every morning for an x-ray to make sure it was gone. After several days they told us if it hadn't moved by the next morning they would go in and remove it. So the next morning, we went in for an x-ray and poof it was gone.
Celebrity: Century: 9/3/2007 Constellation: 11/16/2007 Millenium: 02/03/2008 Summit: 3/15/2008
Azamara: Journey: 10/20/2007

Next Up:
11/12/2008 Celebrity Solstice
01/04/2009 Disney Wonder 4nts Bahamas

To see my pictures from different places around the world, go here!
Check out my travel pictures. UpDated!

Thanks Betty!
Amlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
KATHINOWA
DIS Veteran

DS swallowed a nickel when he was 2. We had many x-rays to make sure it wasn't lodged in his throat or intenstines. Evidently it passed because it wasn't on the last xray. Scary times for parents but fun stories for baby books.
1976: Fort Wilderness Campground 1992: Honeymoon - Big Red Boat & Contemporary 1999: Off-Site 2002: All-Star Movies 2003: Hard Rock Hotel & US/IOA & Sea World 2003: DCL Wonder & Caribbean Beach 2005: DCL Magic 2006: Nick Hotel & US/IOA 2007: DCL Wonder & POR 2010: Polynesian (!!) and DCL Wonder Double Dip (!!) 2012: Aulani Hawaii 2013: POFQ (Vocal Motion) 2014: Poly (Vocal Motion)
KATHINOWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Dd7 swallowed a quarter when she was 5. It got stuck, she was screaming, so DH took her to the ER. Finally, they gave her some morphine for the pain in an IV, and tried to see if it would move (xrays showed it was stuck right outside her lungs). Nope - they had to put her out, get a pediatric ENT to put a scope in and remove it. Pretty scary!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

My late dog ted swallowed a parking token once (about the size of a quarter). I spent about $300 in x-rays for them to tell me it had passed out of his stomach and into his intestines and would therefore "pass" out the other end within the next couple of days.

It did. I had to "check" to make sure it came out (hand in a plastic bag to feel his business). I told my DH we should have saved that token and made it into a necklace...it cost as much as a piece of jewelry!
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
nuttylawprofessor
Green is edgyWhat kinds of goodies have people found so far?
I keep my mickey hidden

My oldest swallowed a penny this summer. We went to an urgent care center to get an x-ray to make sure it wasn't lodged somewhere. It was the cutest little x-ray I've ever seen.

I agree with the PP, this too shall pass.
nuttylawprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

My DS, who was 4 at the time, swallowed a Penny when DD was a week old. I had put him to bed, and was Nursing DD when DS comes in the room and says "Mommy, I swallowed a Penny. He clearly wasn't choking, but I called the pediatrician just in case. They called back and suggested that I take him to the ER just in case, as there was a slight possibilitiy that it could poke a hole in his intestine or cause a blockage if it didn't pass completely. Of course this was DH's first day back to work, AND he had a class that night and wouldn't be home until 11 pm, and since I was still unable to drive (and didn't particularly want to take a newborn DD to the ER and expose her to who knows what) So after DH gets home at 11Pm he had to wake up DS and take him to the ER for an Xray. The X ray showed the penny, not blocking anything, but the told us to check his poop each time he went to make sure the pennt passed... Let me tell you that nursing a newborn while digging through poop in a toilet with a plastic spoon is no fun
Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
Iott Family
DIS Veteran

The Money Tree

My parents sent me a money tree for my 30th to bring me good luck/fortune in the coming year. A couple of days later DH was changing DS's diaper and he hollars for me to come quick. There was a penny lodged in the #2 in DS's diaper. So we called my parents and said thanks for sending us the money tree but it only produces riches by the penny. Needless to say until that diaper change we didnt even know DS had swallowed the penny......

Lord only knows what all children swallow that passes thru unnoticed!
Iott Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
sunlver
Well ahhh, I got poked with a birthday party hat

Thanks everybody for sharing your money swallowing stories with me

My 4 yr old is acting fine today and we still havent seen any signs of the mysterious coin she swallowed
sunlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
MickeyMouseGal
Have A Zip A Dee Doo Dah Zip A Dee Day!!!
Believes in Natural Selection

Actually, pennies made after 1982 contain zinc which can be dangerous. I have seen dogs who became quite ill after eating pennies.

MickeyMouseGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: