Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #151
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
Oh my gosh...you are so sweet! I LOVE the disABILITIES thread...that has been my home on this board for a while now! I would be honored to help others planning trips...I do wish I had taken more pictures while we were there of "accessibility" things...I did get caught up in the moment and missed some of those opportunities. But we did pretty good for our first time! I do have some pics of accessible rides, so that will help someone down the road, I am sure.
Don't worry, I have tons of pictures of accessibility inside the WDW parks (and I'm gathering more as I write this).
The more pictures we have, the better though.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #152
AmberGreenawalt
Mouseketeer

LOVING it! What a great trip report Maroo. I can't wait to read more about your fabulous adventures

p.s. I'm sorry that as a "Wish Parent" I could not resist your warning not to read. I had already read up to the point and could not stop...enjoying it way too much!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #153
mom2lilnick
Mouseketeer

I couldn't not read it either! I am loving your TR!!

Wife to one amazing guy Jeff
Mom to three wonderful kids..
Kayla, Noah and my wish child Nicholas .

Nick's pre-trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post28150528
Old 10-19-2008, 12:13 AM   #154
KittyKat08
Mouseketeer

Just started reading and I can't wait to hear more about this simply wonderful, fantastic and magical trip. Lauren is a beautiful girl and I'm glad her trip started off so superb. Keep the lovely pictures coming as well.

From about 1979 till now Disneyland all the time!
2008 First trip to Walt Disney World, POFQ & offsite
2008 First DCL trip on the Disney Wonder

My Honeymoon TR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2054154

Thanks pamouselover
Old 10-19-2008, 05:22 AM   #155
vdarrell
DIS Veteran

I too am still reading and loving every word and picture.
The rainbow picture is awsome.
It is wonderful that someone had the heart to build a place for these little angels that God has blessed us with.
Also thank God for beautiful people like you.
Keep posting it is helping me get through the next 50 days till my trip.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #156
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresajoy View Post
Can I just say: I told you so!

Mary, yes, Lauren is GORGEOUS!!!! I have a 16 year old son..........

Ice cream!!! YUMMY!!!!!!!! The Compere family is just so much fun!! I can tell!No wonder you are all friends!!!

Hi Compere Family!!!

Anxiously awaiting another installment!
Ha! The Compere's say hello back! Hello, Teresa!

And Lauren said, "Where do they live? We are MOVING!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
Oh Maroo, I stumbled on to your report as it was at the top of the TR board. I have never been so happy reading about Disney. Your heart is so beautifully expressed in your love for this family, humility in what you've done for Lauren, and enthusiasm for Disney and GKTW.

I am thrilled to know about GKTW and the way Disney makes Make a Wish dreams come true.

Thank you so much for taking time to share your most magical memories with us.

I can't wait to read more!
I am so glad you stumbled upon us! We are having as much fun telling about the trip as we had ON the trip! And are already planning a return trip (but don't tell Lauren's mom! )

I do love this family very much! I am so glad you can tell. And I LOVE GKTW, Make a Wish and Disney, too! And when they all meet at once to make a dream come true...they certainly do a grand job!

I can't wait to tell you more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzma and Kronk View Post
Maroo - What a great report!

I can't wait to read more.

I absolutely loved the rainbow picture!! Glad you posted it many many times.

And thanks to jamal for sending me here!
Yeah, thanks Jamal! I love that picture too! I am having to fight to keep from posting it again! I am sure it will appear later in the story, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Don't worry, I have tons of pictures of accessibility inside the WDW parks (and I'm gathering more as I write this).
The more pictures we have, the better though.
Cool! I have a couple...but probably stuff you have...if you see a pic in my report that you need access to, just let me know and I can email it to ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberGreenawalt View Post
LOVING it! What a great trip report Maroo. I can't wait to read more about your fabulous adventures

p.s. I'm sorry that as a "Wish Parent" I could not resist your warning not to read. I had already read up to the point and could not stop...enjoying it way too much!
Ha ha! Oops!! At least you won't tell your kids!! And you won't jump when that dino spits on you, either! But you can have your camera ready when they get spit on for the first time! Or their head gets bit off by the dino!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2lilnick View Post
I couldn't not read it either! I am loving your TR!!
I am so glad! It was so fun!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat08 View Post
Just started reading and I can't wait to hear more about this simply wonderful, fantastic and magical trip. Lauren is a beautiful girl and I'm glad her trip started off so superb. Keep the lovely pictures coming as well.
Yeah! Welcome! And I like your DIS name. KittyKat...fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdarrell View Post
I too am still reading and loving every word and picture.
The rainbow picture is awsome.
It is wonderful that someone had the heart to build a place for these little angels that God has blessed us with.
Also thank God for beautiful people like you.
Keep posting it is helping me get through the next 50 days till my trip.
I hope we can entertain you for 50 days! I figured I would have this written in a week and it has been more than a week and I am not done with the first day!! Goodness! I just have so many pics!!!!

Another installment is coming soon!! Hopefully in the next few min.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #157
bex271
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=maroo;28238181]Lol on the quotation marks!!
I have posted the Putt Putt pictures...and I will have more to come soon, I promise!! BUT...be careful! I don't want to ruin any surprises for ya!!!
[QUOTE]

I'm enjoy reading it and i like to half way know what to expect too. It's going to a total surprise for Jonah though and that's who counts on the surprises. I like to know so i can explain it a little better to him while it's happening, he doesn't do good with total surprises either. He's a very schedule orientated kinda guy.

becca
Old 10-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #158
maroo
DIS Veteran

Give Kids the World - Part THREE!

After we played a game of Putt Putt, we headed into to Amberville to check that out!

We checked out the arcade...

And the train set...now this was cool!
It was big! The pictures really do not do it justice! There were buttons all over the side of it that allowed the kids to turn the train on and off, turn lights on, make things fly in the air...it was cool!
I have to admit that the adults got carried away, too!!

William and his Dad played some pool...

And everyone took a turn trying to control these boats!

Lauren drove, too! And I have to say that she drives her chair a lot better than she drives a boat!

William also got to be the CONDUCTOR of the "big train"...Which was completely cool!!
In fact, he could stop and start the train!

Which was cool, especially when Lauren got stuck on the tracks!!!!!!!!!

JUST KIDDING!! Totally staged shot... Did we get ya??

We spent quite a bit of time in the Castle of Miracles.

See the stars all over the ceiling...

Each wish child gets a star when they come to Give Kids the World.
They write their name (or whatever they want) on the star.
This is Lauren's star.

Lauren put her star in this box...and the star fairy puts it on the ceiling for her!

We think Lauren's start probably ended up somewhere around here...Around the first "B" section...

(but we never did see it, for reasons that you will hear about later in this TR...)...so, if you are a wish parent, and you are going to GKTW...let me know and maybe you can get a picture of it up in the ceiling!

Once the star is put in the "sky"...it stays there forever. This was a very special moment for us.

Gosh...I guess I will end this one on that note...sorry, I am out of room...again...maybe I use too many smiley faces? Or am posting too many pictures?? But more to come...soon...I promise!!!

And here it is....Give Kids the WORLD - Part FOUR!

Last edited by maroo; 10-19-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #159
maroo
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=bex271;28250258][QUOTE=maroo;28238181]Lol on the quotation marks!!
I have posted the Putt Putt pictures...and I will have more to come soon, I promise!! BUT...be careful! I don't want to ruin any surprises for ya!!!
Quote:

I'm enjoy reading it and i like to half way know what to expect too. It's going to a total surprise for Jonah though and that's who counts on the surprises. I like to know so i can explain it a little better to him while it's happening, he doesn't do good with total surprises either. He's a very schedule orientated kinda guy.

becca
I was the same way...That is why I read every TR out there! But it was fun to be surprised by a Dino...but I could see why you might want to know about that beforehand...sort of prepare him, I guess? Lauren was surprised...and even after seeing the pics and reading all of the TR's I was still surprised (pleasantly) about a lot of aspects of GKTW. You guys will have a BLAST!!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #160
mommyintn
DIS Veteran

What a great report!! I can't wait to hear about the reactions to staying at the Contemporary!

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
Walt Disney
Old 10-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #161
lauren_elizabeth
Disney World Lover

Oh my goodness! Yall got rooms in the TOWER?! That's going to be such a fun surprise! I can't wait to read how they reacted!

I love the whole Stars on the Ceiling thing they do at GKTW. How special!

Old 10-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #162
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Your trip report is really making me excited about our trip next month! I can't wait to read more!

Carol

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940
WDW twice including Nathan's MAW trip to WDW
8 cruises and counting- almost Platinum!
Disneyland- over 14 times and counting
Old 10-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #163
AshClan
I forgot to say SNAP!
We'll coordinate our Woo Hooties!
Yes, he is a mutant. But a cute one

Another fan sent over by Jamal! Maroo, this is a wonderful report and I am already in love with Lauren (what a beautiful girl!) and all the rest of your crew, too! I am so looking forward to hearing more about your magical trip!!
Old 10-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #164
maroo
DIS Veteran

Give Kids the WORLD - Part FOUR!

Ok...now to part FOUR of the FIRST day at Give Kids the World! What a day it has been! Remember back in my second post, I think...that I introduced you to Lauren's surprise guest...well, at this point in the TR, it is only about 4 or so in the afternoon!!! That same day! What a day this family has had!!!! A dream day, for sure! And I do think this will be the last post about this wonderful day!!

They have a wishing well that actually SOUNDS like a well. Kids can wish for ANYTHING in that well. I was pretty pensive at this point, since we had just finished Lauren's star. And I was thinking about all of the sick kids that made wishes in that well? What do they wish for? To get better? To just FEEL better? Or is the wish for their family…parents, brothers or sisters?

But I did not have too long to dwell on that...because the kids both got to make special pillows with this cool contraption!

Lauren eventually got kinda hot and they were showing “Camp Rock” in the movie theater.

And they even serve popcorn , cokes , snacks and ICEE's! (Did I mention all of this was FREE?????!!!!???)

At some point in the movie, Lauren whispers to me that she doesn’t feel good. I reach over and feel her head. And she is a little warm. Off I go to find some Tylenol and a thermometer? Do I really think I am going to find these things...well, no. But GKTW comes through again...they provided a thermometer for us and some Tylenol. Lauren does have fever …which prompts a call to a doctor…some antibiotics are called in. No major deal. But Lauren really doesn't feel well. So, we head out of the movie a little early...to go get some food in our bellies! (As IF I needed any more FOOD at this point...but I digress!)

We eat in the Gingerbread House.

Isn't it just amazing! All of the dolls in the ceiling come from all over the world. And the tables are made out of REAL candy! See the peppermint ones?

The volunteers come and serve your table and bring you drink refills, etc.
And you know what, if you want ICE CREAM...AGAIN...you can have it!

Then the sweetest thing happened...the GKTW volunteers that knew Lauren wasn't feeling well...and knew she had left the movie early...came by our table and GAVE her the DVD for "Camp Rock"...that was so sweet. They did not have to do that!

Then we finish eating and head outside and are surprised by Mayor Clayton and Mrs. Clayton. (This especially surprised Lisa, since she thought that "Mayor Clayton" was a "person"...not a "character!")

They were so sweet with the kids. Our first character greet!!

Now, we just HAD to put this one in here...it is a terrible picture for quality...but sure is funny...Mrs. Clayton was "flirting" with Richard...and Richard, who is hilarious, starts making jokes about the fact that Lisa should be worried because he really thinks Mrs. Clayton is pretty cute! And we are trying to pose for this picture...but we just all bust out laughing! And this is what you get...

William rides the carousel. He was so funny…he really enjoyed himself!

And then it is time to go find our "hotel." Earlier in the day, it slips that we are not staying at GKTW. Lauren is disappointed by this, but we promise her that she will like where she stays (without giving away the surprise). Of course, we have to stop at Walgreens on the way to get Lauren’s antibiotics…but no big deal.

Do you remember that first time you went through the Walt Disney World entrance. I still get chills. We really ham up the surprise of where we are staying. The kids get SOOO excited when they realize we are staying so close to Disney World!

We just keep driving closer and closer to Disney World...

And then they see it...the monorail! The "train in the sky" that they have been wanting to ride!!!

And then we drive...right beside the monorail...and over a little hill...and they SEE IT! The hotel with the monorail!!!! And the castle...now at this point, both kids are freaking out...

And then we tell them...WE ARE STAYING HERE...with the TRAIN IN THE SKY! And they go bananas...

But I find out later that Lauren had seen THE CASTLE...and thought we were staying there...

Which made the Contemporary a little letdown for her...like going from cloud 10 to cloud 9, though!...bless it!...I mean they HAD put a crown on her head...made rainbows for her...and given her a $100 bill...let her put an endless star in the sky...and given her the DVD since she missed the end of the movie...so why not? She certainly FELT like a princess! But she will see the castle tomorrow...and she doesn't even know it yet!!

The Contemporary was WONDERFUL! The rooms were fabulous! No kitchen, of course, but we were prepared with several coolers and brought some food and drinks, which cut our costs a lot!

I won’t bore you with all of the details…but for those of you guys interested in the handicapped accessibility, the Contemporary was great! We had a roll in shower that was big enough for Lauren’s shower table (my guess is it was about 5 feet long (or so) and several feet wide). And the bathroom was huge and the sink allows a wheelchair to go under it. The bathroom was big enough for Lauren and her Mom to get her hair done each morning…and that takes some room! If you want more info, PM me!

Click HERE to Continue to Magic Kingdom!! Part ONE!

Last edited by maroo; 10-21-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #165
littleangie
DIS Veteran

OMG this is so exciting seeing her getting her wish.

Past Trips: 6/2008~POR, 6/2010~CB *honeymoon*, 06/2011~Pop, 5/2012-6/2012~Pop, 6/2013~POR
Next Trip: 2/15 Princess half Marathon~ All star Movies

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: