Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #136
lauren_elizabeth
Disney World Lover

Oh my goodness! I'm definately joining in on this one!

Lauren is absolutely gorgeous and her family is adorable

I can't wait to read more!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #137
HeatherSue

Teresa just e-mailed me and asked if I read your lastest update. She said I HAD to read it because it would make me cry. She was SOOO right! I was crying when you mentioned that Lauren has her pillow with her all the time, and then to see that she really did have it with her and William with his pillow. You have no idea how much that means to me. Then, just reading about this wonderful family, how you met them, and then a RAINBOW!! Oh my gosh, this is wonderful!

Plus, you're too darn funny and I love the way you write! I am LOVING it!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #138
maroo
DIS Veteran

What HAS Maroo been doing ALL this time?

Now, while Lauren and her family were flying through rainbows…OK, another picture! I can’t help myself!!

...I was a busy bee…I got up early (HAPPY to leave the Best Western!) and drove to GKTW to go to Orientation. This is about an hour long meeting where they give us our tickets, explain the GKTW activities, give us Lauren’s Make a Wish button
(this will be called the “magic” button for the rest of this trip!) and other important information…like what to do in an emergency and junk that no one ever needs…...….........right…...…

Anyway, I purposefully went to this meeting early so that we would not have to wait for the late evening orientation. Since we weren’t staying at GKTW, I wanted everyone to be able to get to the hotel and get in bed so we would not be all worn out. This would not have been an issue if we were staying at GKTW, though.

I had ice cream at 8:30 in the morning…You see, at GKTW, you can have ICE CREAM whenever you want! YUM!

Then I run to Walmart to just get a few things…milk, Lactaid for William, deli meat, ice for our coolers, etc. I fill up the coolers and get that all situated. And then I drove to the Contemporary to check in. Now, I probably should explain this, too. Normally wish kids stay at GKTW. They have these awesome 2 bedroom villas with kitchens...

…BUT…they were full due to WishFlight and so they put us up in the Contemporary. (OK, we are SOOO excited about that!!) It was so convenient for the family to be able to get around using the monorail!

Now, when GKTW makes our reservations, they obviously book the lowest rate room they can, right. But I am praying for an upgrade…mainly because it is obvious to me that this family will never be able to stay in the Contemporary again (medical needs take priority over very expensive hotel rooms)...but I would LOVE to go back!!!!!!

Anyway...I really, really want the kids to get to stay in the tower where the monorail runs through it.

PLEASE...PLEASE!!

The kids have NEVER been to Disney World, so they have only seen pictures of the monorail. The kids keep saying that they want to ride it. Can we ride “the train in the sky?” They have NO idea that we are STAYING where the “train in the sky” actually goes through our hotel.
Oh my goodness…I LOVE a good surprise!

So, I get to the Contemporary and unload all of our luggage and medical stuff (can you say FOUR bell carts…FOUR!) and check in so that we can be done with that. And I am praying for an upgrade…and guess what…PIXIE DUST!!!!!! We got one!!!!!!!!! They actually had a roll in shower and regular room (we had 2 rooms) on the same floor IN THE TOWER…so we took it! YES!! How cool is that! And the kids don’t even know we are staying there yet! At this point, I am TOTALLY beside myself with joy!!!

Then I am off to get gas and to the airport to deliver Lauren’s wheelchair when the plane lands. Now…at this point, you can rewind to my first post…because after I take about 30 min to find a handicapped parking spot…I drive Lauren’s wheelchair into the airport terminal. Ok, I only hit about 2 walls and an elevator door...but people are looking at me like I am crazy, driving an empty wheelchair around…I look pretty stupid!

CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE...NO MORE ROOM IN THIS POST...

Last edited by maroo; 10-18-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #139
maroo
DIS Veteran

Give Kids The World Part ONE!

So, I am driving Lauren's wheelchair to meet them at the airport...strolling right along...And then I see him…our greeter!! GKTW has sent a greeter to meet Lauren and her family.

The first person I see is William! He comes RUNNING across the terminal and JUMPS in my arms! I think he missed me!

And Lauren looks beautiful. The crown just tops it off!

And her whole family...they are SO sweet!

We give Lauren back her legs...

Now THAT is MUCH better!!!!!

Lauren tells me all about her flight. Including the RAINBOW...(ok, I won't show you ANOTHER picture)
...the man that handed her a HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL in the airplane (we have NO idea who this guy was...but thanks!)
...and her flight attendants...

And then Lauren’s family took the MEARS shuttle and I drove the van to GKTW. Now, I guess I could skip the part about how I got TOTALLY LOST in Orlando …but…for your enjoyment, I should say that the road leaving the airport spit me out going North instead of South and I got a little lost for a little while. But I eventually get back on track and make it back to GKTW only a few min after Lauren’s family arrived.

They get checked in…by this time it is 2:00 in the afternoon and we are HUNGRY. I was particularly hungry…but that may be because I had ICE CREAM for breakfast. So, we head BACK to the Ice Cream Palace and get some sandwiches. I order my sandwich and some fruit…in the form of a BANANA split! (you only live once, right!)…and we enjoyed our lunch! (Did I mention this was FREE!)

Here is Richard enjoying his banana split. He is a Type I diabetic and he has a pump that he uses to give himself insulin...so he CAN eat what he wants...well...he pumped the HIGHEST dose of insulin...EVER...in his whole life...before he ate this... You only live once!

And William is enjoying his PB&J!

Then we explored the place. I have to say…everything here was fun….the decorations were cool…the music was fun.

I can’t really remember being happier than I was this day…the whole trip was ahead of us…the weather was PERFECT…we had an awesome surprise waiting for the kids (hello! We are staying in the TOWER at the Contemporary!)…and life just doesn’t get much better than that!

Walking along that sidewalk...Listening to upbeat Disney music...and just enjoying life. THIS is what the trip was all about! Celebrating life!

So on that fabulous note...I will end this update...but we have MORE at Give Kids the World! So stay tuned...

Give Kids the WORLD - Part TWO!

Last edited by maroo; 10-18-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #140
maroo
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for reading! And especially for posting! Lauren and her family are enjoying reading all of the comments from everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyReeds View Post
Very cool report! It is wonderful that people in today's world do little things to make someone's day very special--that rainbow was awesome! Looking forward to reading more!
I know! Our trip was FULL of things that made Lauren's (and her family's) day!! Thanks for joining in and posting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_elizabeth View Post
Oh my goodness! I'm definately joining in on this one!

Lauren is absolutely gorgeous and her family is adorable

Wow! another Lauren! So cool! Thank you so much for joining us!! Lauren is a beautiful girl and her family IS the greatest!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherSue View Post
Teresa just e-mailed me and asked if I read your lastest update. She said I HAD to read it because it would make me cry. She was SOOO right! I was crying when you mentioned that Lauren has her pillow with her all the time, and then to see that she really did have it with her and William with his pillow. You have no idea how much that means to me. Then, just reading about this wonderful family, how you met them, and then a RAINBOW!! Oh my gosh, this is wonderful!

I am so glad Teresa emailed you! And I am SOOO glad that you think I am funny! That made me smile! I LOVED your TR...so I am glad you are enjoying mine!

(Have I used enough exclamation marks?!! Is there a limit!?)
Old 10-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #141
HeatherSue

If there were a limit on exclamation marks, I would have been kicked off the Dis long ago!!

The Contemporary!? In the tower?! I can't wait until the kids find out where they're staying!

They are just about the cutest family ever, I must agree!

I love that you had a banana split after your ice cream breakfast. I dream about all you can eat free ice cream!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:20 AM   #142
bex271
Mouseketeer

I can't wait to see more pictures of y'all at GKTW. I can't wait to hear how the kids react to where they're staying or when they get to see the "train in the sky" and ride it.

becca
Old 10-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #143
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Very nice report.
The rainbow was WONDERFUL and I'm sure was a great surprise.
After you get a few more pages done, I will post a link to your report in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. There is a link to that thread in my signature and post #3 in that thread has links to past thread that I think would be helpful (or just enjoyable) to read. Your trip report hits on both counts.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #144
shane&jakesmom
Walt Disney World is my happy place. Wishing to be a DVC member and own a piece of the world.

Terrific TR yes, you made me cry too. It is truly wonderful what they do for make a wish children. Lauren looked fabulous with her crown. Lauren is a beautiful girl. I can't wait to read more

1992,1993,1996,2002,2005,2006(2x),2007(3x)
Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Caribbean Beach, All Star Sports, All Star Movies and Pop Century

Old 10-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #145
snubie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
[SIZE="3"]
And Lauren looks beautiful. The crown just tops it off!

Lauren tells me all about her flight. Including the RAINBOW...(ok, I won't show you ANOTHER picture)
...the man that handed her a HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL in the airplane (we have NO idea who this guy was...but thanks!)
...and her flight attendants...

First the rainbow and now the random act of monetary kindness... this report makes me cry every time I read it.
April 1985 Poly,May 2004 POFQ,Sept 2007 ASMU,Jan 2008 ASMU,May 2009 CBR,Jan 2011 POP - disboutiquers meet, Jan 2013 POR
Old 10-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #146
maroo
DIS Veteran

Give Kids the World - Part TWO

*** * * * DISCLAIMER!!! STOP>>> If you are a WISH parent...THIS POST CONTAINS SURPRISES!! Please don't read it if you are heading to GKTW! I don't want to ruin any surprises for you! ****

Wow, we did a lot of stuff at GKTW...in fact, after going through the pictures, I am not sure this is going to be just one post...but we will see...

So, we have had ICE CREAM (twice for me!) ...and it is time to play! First we head over to play Putt Putt. On the way we find some great photo ops...

Lauren is beautiful, isn't she...

And this is a large lizard (dinosaur, whatever)...

And on the lizard is A LIZARD!

Then to the Putt Putt. This was no ordinary Putt Putt! First of all, it was accessible!
Lauren has never been able to get down on a Putt Putt course. But this one...was totally accessible! She could go everywhere! Here are some pics...

Lauren is ON the green!!

Isn't he CUTE! (Putt Putt decorations!)

One of the holes was in a CAVE...with glow in the dark stuff...
my attempt at a photo...in the dark...

and in the light...

William and Lisa played...

And then almost got EATEN ALIVE by THIS...

That DINO was MOVING up and DOWN...and smoking...and it scared Lauren!
And then William was ready to beat it down with his putt putt stick...Isn't he cute...
I would say that he was protecting Lauren...but I really think he wanted a PIECE of that Dino!

Now...I hope this works...I took a little video ...of one of the putt putt holes.
One particular hole had a few surprises...like water shooting out of a dino!
And then another one makes some noise a little later!

Here it is...
SUPER SCARY PUTT PUTT DINO ATTACK!

Now, you must understand...that at the end of that video...It got a little shaky because the dino also scared ME!!! So...watch it all you like...it still cracks me up...or did you have to be there?

OK...more to come...but I am at my limit on pictures for this post....

So...you know the drill...stay tuned!

OK...HERE IT IS...

Give Kids the World - Part THREE!

Last edited by maroo; 10-19-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #147
maroo
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting! :)

Quote:
If there were a limit on exclamation marks, I would have been kicked off the Dis long ago!!

The Contemporary!? In the tower?! I can't wait until the kids find out where they're staying!

They are just about the cutest family ever, I must agree!

I love that you had a banana split after your ice cream breakfast. I dream about all you can eat free ice cream!
Lol on the quotation marks!! I think DISboards would kick me off the island if they were keeping track!

And we were psyched to get to stay in the Contemporary. We really enjoyed it!

Yeah, all you can eat free ice cream is quite fun!! It is probably a very good thing we did NOT stay at GKTW all week long...or I would have gained MORE DW pounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex271 View Post
I can't wait to see more pictures of y'all at GKTW. I can't wait to hear how the kids react to where they're staying or when they get to see the "train in the sky" and ride it.

becca
I have posted the Putt Putt pictures...and I will have more to come soon, I promise!! BUT...be careful! I don't want to ruin any surprises for ya!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Very nice report.
The rainbow was WONDERFUL and I'm sure was a great surprise.
After you get a few more pages done, I will post a link to your report in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. There is a link to that thread in my signature and post #3 in that thread has links to past thread that I think would be helpful (or just enjoyable) to read. Your trip report hits on both counts.
Oh my gosh...you are so sweet! I LOVE the disABILITIES thread...that has been my home on this board for a while now! I would be honored to help others planning trips...I do wish I had taken more pictures while we were there of "accessibility" things...I did get caught up in the moment and missed some of those opportunities. But we did pretty good for our first time! I do have some pics of accessible rides, so that will help someone down the road, I am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane&jakesmom View Post
Terrific TR yes, you made me cry too. It is truly wonderful what they do for make a wish children. Lauren looked fabulous with her crown. Lauren is a beautiful girl. I can't wait to read more
Aw...I hate to make everyone cry. I hope that it is a "good" cry! I have cried reading my share of these Wish reports, too. It is wonderful to see a wish fulfilled!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubie View Post
First the rainbow and now the random act of monetary kindness... this report makes me cry every time I read it.
I am so glad you posted! I see that people are reading it by the number of views...but we love to hear from you guys! I am sorry that I keep making you cry, though!! Thanks for posting!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #148
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!
There is no such thing as too young or too old for Disney World!
Thinks glow in the dark ricrak is cool

Quote:

Can I just say: I told you so!

Mary, yes, Lauren is GORGEOUS!!!! I have a 16 year old son..........

Ice cream!!! YUMMY!!!!!!!! The Compere family is just so much fun!! I can tell!No wonder you are all friends!!!

Hi Compere Family!!!

Anxiously awaiting another installment!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #149
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Oh Maroo, I stumbled on to your report as it was at the top of the TR board. I have never been so happy reading about Disney. Your heart is so beautifully expressed in your love for this family, humility in what you've done for Lauren, and enthusiasm for Disney and GKTW.

I am thrilled to know about GKTW and the way Disney makes Make a Wish dreams come true.

Thank you so much for taking time to share your most magical memories with us.

Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #150
Yzma and Kronk
I survived the Pie-fest
I broke my spleen and yaked up a lung.....and I was driving!
Not done the "other" thing yet...

Maroo - What a great report!

I can't wait to read more.

I absolutely loved the rainbow picture!! Glad you posted it many many times.

And thanks to jamal for sending me here!

Last edited by Yzma and Kronk; 10-18-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: