Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
JEANMR1
Mouseketeer

1/31-2/7 - Contemporary with 19th month old

Hi everyone
Just back from the World last night and thought I'd share some experiences and random thoughts on our trip.
The players:
me (Jean)
partner (Deb)
19 month old (Samantha)
travelling from CT

Trip down on Southwest was fine. Sammy had about the worst fit she ever had for about 10 minutes part way into the flight. This is her 5th r/t flight so it isn't because it was new - I think her ears hurt. After 10 minutes she was fine - I think I continued shaking for another half hour. Sorry to anyone on that flight.

Check in was fine - I politely asked for a tower room but there was no availability. I couldn't even purchase an upgrade to anything - they were completely booked.

Thoughts on the Contemporary: It was nice. The walk to the MK was fabulous. The beds were totally comfy. The sinks were stupid (kinda flat so water doesn't run down the drain well). Pool went down on our second or third day there for a refurb. No big deal since it was FREEZING for most of our trip. That said, we usually stay at PO Riverside and really really missed it. If there was a great deal, we might stay there again but missed the theming of the other resorts.

Crowds: Crowds were great - totally manageable. One day (I think the high was in the 50's but sunny) the wait for Splash Mountain at 11:30 in the am was 5 minutes. We didn't do too many rides e ticket rides but a fastpass here and there made the longest wait about 10 minutes during the whole trip.

Birthdays: It was Debbie's 39th birthday when we went so we got the giftcard and a pin for her. We found that they just offered her a button and didn't ask if it was actually her birthday or anything. We had to ask about the giftcard. Once we showed them her license they were much nicer to her. I think tons and tons of people just say it is their birthday. It seems about 1 in 50 at least had birthday buttons on. She just wore hers on her actual birthday. The giftcard went quickly. 1 sweatshirt, 1 watch and gone.

Food: I have to say that food was pretty disappointing on this trip. We are unfortunately food focused and spend a great deal of time planning that aspect of the trip. Some of the things we enjoyed was the Hazelnut crusted chicken with cherry sauce at Big River Grill, Yachtman Steakhouse was nice, Deb enjoyed the breakfast burrito at the Contempo Cafe, Rose and Crown is always tasty, the Cantina in Mexico was better than expected, lunch at 9 Dragons was good but ridiculously expensive, and the food at breakfast at Crystal Palace was good. Disappointments include: House of Blues, breakfast at Chef Mickeys (good characters but the food was downright lousy), Tonga Toast was a huge disappointment to me (though I usually love the Banana Stuffed french toast at Boatwrights), Skool bread was 'eh' (I tried it after reading reviews on it on this board), T-Rex was pretty bland, oh and I actually couldn't finish my burger at Cosmic Rays it was so bad (and I love burgers and am not too pickey), lastly, the Plaza was horrible. The vegetarian sandwich was tasteless and I should have returned my vanilla shake because it tasted like burned rubber or something.

Travelling with a 19 month old: It went very well. If this was a once in a lifetime trip or your first trip, I wouldn't recommend it because you are rather limited on things. However, we have been numerous times so it was fun to go at a slow pace. I did go on Space Mountain a couple of times and Expedition Everest but all the other rides were ones we could take Sammy on. She LOVED the characters. This had an upside and a downside. The upside is obvious - we got amazing pictures and it made your heart all squishy seeing her run to them and hug them and blow them kisses in line. The downside is that she didn't understand waiting her turn or having her turn end. We did go to Playhouse Disney but had to leave because she wanted to run onto the stage. Also, amusingly, she liked to point to anything Mickey and say hi. There are A LOT of Mickey icons at Disney World. She said hi to most of them. I do think her favorite part of the trip though is a split between seeing birds and saying hi to them and stepping on and off the curbs. The teddy bear backpack leash was FABULOUS. I highly recommend it so your toddler isn't stuck in a stroller for too long and you have some peace of mind that she won't dart off (more than 5 feet) from you. However, it does not mean she will go where you want her to go.

Ride home: uneventful. She finally fell asleep about 30 seconds before we landed so that kinda sucked.

Closing thoughts: Very successful trip. What do I do now when my obsessive planning is over? We are thinking about a DVC now that we have a little one and one on the way I don't know though...they are expensive. I'm hoping the blah food will help us not be so focused on that in the future or save a few bucks and go off property for some meals.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Jean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: