Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
adb133
Earning My Ears

Weekend @ Food & Wine Disasterish

My wife and I spent our anniversary at the GF and Epcot for the weekend. She had really never been to Disney before and I have been going for years so I wanted to take her during what I think is the best event of the year (Food & Wine)

She was absolutely blown away at the level of customer service that Disney offered us, from the guys at the Front Gate of the MK to the Valet to the GF Front Desk personnel, she couldn't believe how nice everyone was! She even liked how the security guard checking her bag at Epcot called her "Princess."
During our first hour @ F&W we walked around enjoying all of the cuisine from the different countries and were having an absolute blast. Then things began to go downhill...

Let me preface this by saying that she is the oldest of 5 girls, and has a father that rules with an iron fist...While waiting in line at Vienna she received a phone call from her sister who turned 18 at midnight the night before, her sister informed her that, against her fathers wishes, she got her bellybutton pierced. My wife was blown away and started laughing and was not yelling, but talking loudly, to her sister about how she couldn't believe that she did it. Immediately as this happened we were ordering 2 glasses of wine and some food, a supervisor stepped in front of her pointed his finger directly at her face and yelled "YOU ARE CUTOFF!!!" she was still on the phone at the time and didn't quite comprehend what was going on, so I asked the supervisor why she was "cutoff" the man said that, "There is no way I am letting either of you have any more to drink for the rest of the day!" and then he proceeded to just simply walk away, no telling the server not to give us our 2 glasses of wine, no "blacklisting" or "cutting off"...
My wife, absolutely embarrassed that she had been "cutoff" in front of a line of 20 people threw her wine away and snuck off in a corner and got visibly upset....

I immediately chased down the supervisor and asked for his business card and informed him that we had only been there for an hour and had explained the situation about her sister. He looked dumbfounded that I wanted his business card and began to give me a line about how he was "just doing his job" (which I totally understand, but even if she was falling all over the place and throwing up I would hope the Disney protocol would be more than "YOU ARE CUTOFF!!") As we talked a bit more I realized that I was getting nowhere with him and just asked him if he wouldn't mind apologizing to my wife, he said that he was very busy and he had to go. That was the end of it.

My wife, still visibly shaken that she had been "cutoff" for the first time in her life...at Disney World to boot... was ready to leave when I talked her out of it and told her to try and forget about it.
She headed my advice and decided to forget about it, what was the point of dwelling on someone else projecting the hand they have been dealt on us, we continued on and had an awesome rest of the evening, and even though it wasn't mentioned the rest of the night, it was obviously still on her mind.

As I sit here this morning, stewing about what happened, It really makes me upset. Here I am putting up money to stay at the GF, arguably Disney's premier resort, and showing my wife who has never been to Disney, what it is all about, and someone stepped in to ruin it with no accountability or apology. She gives me flack about how I like Disney way too much and this was my opportunity to show her why I love it, and I don't blame her if she tells me, "I told you so...it isn't so magical"

I am sure someone on here has had a bummer trip to Disney and I just wanted to know what my next step should be as far as, at the very least, receiving an apology for how my wife was treated, that is really all it would take to salvage a new customer. If I can't get even that, they have undoubtedly lost 2...
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
loopymommy
May I never be too old for Disney.

I'm surprised no one has commented yet. Your wife shouldn't have been treated so rudely. There must be some sort of protocol for supervisors determining who gets "cut off" and I'm sure it involved more than someone talking loudly on a cell phone! If that was the case, by 9 a.m. most of NYC would never be allowed to drink again. He probably should have taken the loud talking as a reason to observe your wife, but after not seeing any type of impairment should have moved on. On the allears site, they interview one of the F&W festival organizers. I'd search out contact info for her and let her know exactly what happened. Looking at their recent profits, the last thing Disney needs now is dissatisfied customers, especially those staying at their deluxe resorts during pricey events. Good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: