Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #16
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Paula can offer any words of wisdom but for you and the girls.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your days

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
paula34
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for your kind words of support , I have that warm fuzzy disney feeling as I type this and I know I have done the right thing. we have a weird thing going on as emma is also my cousin (ady was my 2nd cousins hubby) and she is coming over to visit with me and shannon tommorrow, which makes me so happy and she knows that I will always be here for her to talk or just hang out...she has had a hard time with her parent splitting up, but has come out of it a lovely girl and smart as a whip I couldn't be prouder or love her more if she was my own once again thank you for the kind words, hopefully I will get another chapter written tommorrow
paula34 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2008, 05:20 AM   #18
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula34 View Post
Thank you all for your kind words of support , I have that warm fuzzy disney feeling as I type this and I know I have done the right thing. we have a weird thing going on as emma is also my cousin (ady was my 2nd cousins hubby) and she is coming over to visit with me and shannon tommorrow, which makes me so happy and she knows that I will always be here for her to talk or just hang out...she has had a hard time with her parent splitting up, but has come out of it a lovely girl and smart as a whip I couldn't be prouder or love her more if she was my own once again thank you for the kind words, hopefully I will get another chapter written tommorrow
You sound like a truly lovely person. Your comments about Emma have made me cry. For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing - your daughter, Shannon, will clearly always come first, as she should.
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 AM   #19
DLPdaft
Cannot stop singing "Just like we dreeeeamed it"
Has a calming influence

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz1910 View Post
You sound like a truly lovely person. Your comments about Emma have made me cry. For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing - your daughter, Shannon, will clearly always come first, as she should.
Can't add anything to that - big hugs from me too

Elaine
Feb 07 Santa Fe, Oct 07 Santa Fe, Nov 07 Cheyenne, June 08 Explorers, Oct 08 surprise upgrade to the Newport Bay Club! May 09 Magic Circus, Dec 09 Santa Fe VIP, Oct 10 Santa Fe "Cars stylee", March 11 St Patricks Day Santa Fe, Nov 11 Dream Castle bonfire and Christmas, June 12 Dream Castle 20th Dreams, Feb 13 Santa Fe & Dreams, April 14 Santa Fe Spring Festival Fun
DLPdaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:39 AM   #20
Jeccaboos
it is worth going just for the view

You did the right thing and I am glad you decided to stay on for the children.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:19 AM   #21
scampbunny
The most fab of surprises!
doesnt take much to set me off when its about dlrp
It's emma's fault

just wanted to add my too - i know what its like tryin to deal with a child espec as shes bein looked at for adhd (we are too) and its hard enough for us to try and calm down the child, without some1 basically sticking their nose in. i do think u did the right thing, and glad u n emmer and still seein each other - u sound very caring and i do with u all the best - and cant wait for my of ur trip report!!

June 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Dec 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights April 2009 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights
Oct 2010 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights June 2012 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Sept 2012 - Day trip!!
Feb 2014 - Hotel Cheyenne 4 nights
scampbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #22
karenmoloney
DIS Veteran

I think you have been very brave in your decision of how to deal with your situation both on holiday & when you got back home. I hope that telling us about it helps in some way.

Your trip report is fantastic & lovely photos. I am looking forward to reading the other installments because we go in 5 days for a week & would like to do other things while we are there other than just Disney. We are thinking of going into Paris a day, but I'm wondering how easy it will be getting in and out of metro stations with a pram - we will probably take our big one as DD2 can put her feet on the ground with the light buggy & stop us pushing it & can also "walk" with the pram! I see you mention going to the zoo. I didn't know there are one nearby, so I am dying to hear about that too.

Day trip Sept 1999 / 4 nights Disneyland Hotel Sept 2004 / 2 nights Holiday Inn March 2005 / 5 nights Holiday Inn Nov 2005 / 3 nights Holiday Inn March 2006 / 7 nights Pierre & Vacances July 2006 / 3 nights Sequoia Lodge Nov 2006 / 6 nights Newport Bay Resort Suite Jun 2007 / 3 nights Kyriad Nov 2007 / 1 night Sequoia Lodge Dec 2007 (no kids) / 6 nights Marriott May 2008 / 2 nights Santa Fe Aug 2008 / 6 nights Marriott Oct 2008 / 3 nights Disneyland Hotel Jan 2009 (my 40th) / 7 nights May 2009 Marriott / 2 nights August 2009 Hotel L'Elysee Val D'Europe / 5 nights Nov 2009 Marriott / 6 nights Marriott May 2010 / 7 nights Marriott Aug 2010 / 7 nights Marriott Feb 2011 / 4 nights Adagio May 2011 / 9 nights Marriott Aug 2011 / 5 nights Marriott Nov 2011 / 7 nights Marriott Aug 2012 / 3 nights Adajio Oct 2012 / 5 nights Marriott Dec 2012

karenmoloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:05 AM   #23
paula34
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmoloney View Post
I think you have been very brave in your decision of how to deal with your situation both on holiday & when you got back home. I hope that telling us about it helps in some way.

Your trip report is fantastic & lovely photos. I am looking forward to reading the other installments because we go in 5 days for a week & would like to do other things while we are there other than just Disney. We are thinking of going into Paris a day, but I'm wondering how easy it will be getting in and out of metro stations with a pram - we will probably take our big one as DD2 can put her feet on the ground with the light buggy & stop us pushing it & can also "walk" with the pram! I see you mention going to the zoo. I didn't know there are one nearby, so I am dying to hear about that too.

getting to the zoo was easy and it was a pleasant enough day out, I am writing it now, the stop we needed was shut so we went one past no biggie but you can ask if it's open

you need to take the train from disney and head for gare de lyon (this is the red line on the rer map. Then you change to metro, take the yellow line(line 1) for chateau de vincennes so one change we went a slightly different way and had 3 stops so this would be easier for you. I found it all very easy to navigate and they have a lot of moving walkways and things, and lots of signs to help you along, if in doubt ask most people are happy to help. I hope this helps you, the big cat park was also good, but asterix was a big fat headache as you will read later lol
Old 10-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #24
karenmoloney
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the information. I might give it a go. Looking forward to reading about it. Hopefully it will be posted when I get a chance to sit down tonight. Just off now to lift DD2 from her cot & do the school run!

Day trip Sept 1999 / 4 nights Disneyland Hotel Sept 2004 / 2 nights Holiday Inn March 2005 / 5 nights Holiday Inn Nov 2005 / 3 nights Holiday Inn March 2006 / 7 nights Pierre & Vacances July 2006 / 3 nights Sequoia Lodge Nov 2006 / 6 nights Newport Bay Resort Suite Jun 2007 / 3 nights Kyriad Nov 2007 / 1 night Sequoia Lodge Dec 2007 (no kids) / 6 nights Marriott May 2008 / 2 nights Santa Fe Aug 2008 / 6 nights Marriott Oct 2008 / 3 nights Disneyland Hotel Jan 2009 (my 40th) / 7 nights May 2009 Marriott / 2 nights August 2009 Hotel L'Elysee Val D'Europe / 5 nights Nov 2009 Marriott / 6 nights Marriott May 2010 / 7 nights Marriott Aug 2010 / 7 nights Marriott Feb 2011 / 4 nights Adagio May 2011 / 9 nights Marriott Aug 2011 / 5 nights Marriott Nov 2011 / 7 nights Marriott Aug 2012 / 3 nights Adajio Oct 2012 / 5 nights Marriott Dec 2012

Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #25
paula34
Mouseketeer

Day 3

Today was zoo day, this was the cheapest thing we did in our time in France and the most relaxing!! It was around 6 euros each the adults and Emma counted as a child here and was around 3 and Shannon was free woohoooo I love free. (If I was a Disney character I’d be scrooge mcduck!!! Because I’m Scottish you understand!!!)

So we are up around the 8am mark, I won the bathroom race, I wasn’t long I had bathed the night before in the vain hope of loosening off my leg muscles, they were agony my legs, but the water was “set” at a certain heat and wasn’t near hot enough for my needs.
We headed for brekkie and today we snuck a couple of rolls stuffed with ham and chicken into my bag for a picnic lunch (I still have the guilt’s about this, but everyone else seemed to be doing it)
Suitably weighed down we left the breakfast area and met, for the first time, the hotels characters. There was a dragon and a lion I think Shannon was delighted and shot off for a cuddle…now I know I took a pic of this but it isn’t on the puter so it must be on the normal camera so sorry no pics of these.
We catch the morning scrumbus and head for the rer station arriving just in time for that nice train that just waits for us, we have 2 changes this morning which we manage with no hold ups or getting lost, get on our last train, to find, that the station we need is out of service so we have to get off at the next one.
Now we are lost, but wait a nice man ask’s us in French what we are looking for *gets out phrase book* he takes one look and switches to English, and he gives us directions ( I found asking directions really bad there and had to ask about 4 people before we could find our way, maybe just me)
The zoo was ok, I think a city like Paris could do better with it though, a lot of the buildings were looking sad and empty enclosures do not look good, but the animals looked well kept and were breeding (always a good sign in a zoo)
We saw, hippos, giraffe, antelope, arctic wolves (so beautiful), baboons and a host of others no big cats or unusual animals though, set in a big park though so pretty.
There was a excellent wee place for Shannon to play as well with benches for the big people so we sat there in the nice warm sun for a good hour having our purloined rolls and a couple of bottles of water.

my favotites

these were cute

shannon and emma being frogs

play area

The park itself is nice to just walk around and there was a boating pond there also where you could rent a boat if you liked…we saw one called Suzy, which caused great mirth as Emma’s sister has this name!
We were here for another couple of hours just wandering and watching and chilling, when we left we decided to grab something to eat for the kids for their main meal and we would head to DD that night, so we went into this café, I had a beer, Emma had a veggie pizza and Shannon spag bol kids meal, it was ok we certainly ate in better places though and it was expensive for what it was (there was a MacDonald’s just round the corner as well grrrr)…never mind you live and learn lol
The travel back to the hotel was uneventful; we got back to our room, bathed Shannon sorted ourselves out and headed for downtown and cocktails, Ady had the litre jugs of beer, they were huge and actually worked out a lot cheaper than the drinks in our hotel, and I started with a large vodka (I was needing one) we were in the sports bar first which I liked it was quite laid back there and not to noisy and they had table heaters for when it got a bit chillier.
We left here and went to the steakhouse to eat, ady had a steak and I had the ribs both were very good, then pudding I had the key lime something or other (sorry lol) and it was to die for but rich and I struggled to finish it,it was all washed down with a very nice bottle of wine
Then we went to the western bar, Billy bobs , I liked this bar there was good music playing and lots of people up dancing with their kids (why can’t it be like this here, take your kids out with you in safety and enjoy, although I never had mine she needs her sleep or is impossible to deal with) I had a cocktail here, but I have forgotten what it was, very good though I had 4 maybe why I can’t remember *ahem* , we went to catch a bus opppps too late the last one just went disappeared round the corner, so we got a taxi back to the hotel and fell into bed watched some TV, before falling asleep.

My pics turned out terribel for this night so some more zoo instead

hippo

hutia

emma made guinea pig noises at them and the spoke back to her and proceeded to follow us around the enclosure

these guys reminded me of the vultures in jungle book

next up parc asterix
Old 10-14-2008, 02:41 AM   #26
karenmoloney
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting that - it has definiately given me another activity to do next week. Your pictures are great & it doesn't matter if there isn't a great selection of animals - my girls are too young to know any better! Looking forward to hearing more & especially about the Wild Cat Park.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #27
paula34
Mouseketeer

Day 4

Today is the day we had decided on for Asterix park, as in off peak season it is only open weekends. Our travel pass tickets made their money as we had to travel out to CDG airport again for the shuttle bus, by now we are all old hands at the travel system and arrive there at 9.30. The office to buy the bus tickets was right there and there was a bus waiting and ready to go (I think it was every half hour that they went) we bought a pastry and a drink to have on the bus and were off.
The bus journey was about a half hour I think, with no traffic hold ups and we arrived
Just after opening time, to be faced with a huge queue ekkkk. We joined the queue and I found the paperwork for half the tickets (I bought 2 from Keith Prowse and 2 off the eBay France site, I wished I had got them all from eBay, it worked out cheapest) we get to the front of the queue to find I should have gone elsewhere with the e-ticket, so we have to turn around and go back to the ticket office, which was hidden off to one side.
We get our tickets and enter without anymore problems. First stop toilets!!! , then we get the map out and decide we will head for the biggest rollercoaster in the park, me and Shannon are going to stop at the smaller rides and they will meet us back there.
Was a good plan expect the coaster is shut, and we are still waiting in line for a rocket ride….did I mention how busy this place is, it’s insanely busy, you can hardly move and even the little rides have 20 to 25 minutes rides! Emma spots a pirate ship ride nearby and heads off to queue for that. We get on the rocket ride at last and Shannon can go on her own, she is delighted, so I head out the gate and watch her spin round about 5 times and off…all that waiting for that. Good job kids are easy pleased

a roman gladiator

There is a very good dolphin show here so we head off for that 15 minutes early to find the doors shut and it is full up. Time for a little thought here, we sit down and decide what to do next. The next dolphin show is at 3 so we will be there at least half an hour before. There was a water ride nearby so we joined the queue for that an hour later and we were sitting in a six seater large ring and getting good and wet….or rather Emma did We needed the cooling down because did I mention it was very very hot here. From here we tried to find another coaster (there are 5 here) this place is quite hard to get around and a lot of the paths ended in dead ends….so no more coaster lol.
We had lunch at a snack stand hot dogs and drinks, and headed for the dolphin show and sat down, it was a long wait and did I mention very hot…Emma and ady got sunburnt in here the sun was shining straight in and there was no escape, me and Shannon were fine as we both like the outdoors and had tans already left from summer *smug look*
The show started and I can say it was well worth the wait, they have a sealion show first, and then the main attraction, the commentary is all in French though, although it didn’t detract for me.

shannon snuck into thor's seat when he was gone lol

some of these would be useful at home!!!!

I don’t think we did anything else after this, we went for an ice-cream and saw a roman army go past and they did a little skit in front of us, we did not see any of the asterix the gaul characters anywhere, although I know they do have them around which was a shame.
Overall I would say it would be a good park to go to on a less busy day in the summer when it is open 7 days a week. I was glad my tickets were cheap as in all we did 1 show; Shannon did 3 rides and Emma 2 me and ady 1. The themeing is great though and the park tidy and staff helpful.
We started on the long trek home, and once again stopped in val de Europe (we do dine at Disney I promise and oh boy was it worth it) we ate in a café pub directly across from the station, I highly recommend this place, the staff were awesome, the food mmmmmmm ady had shank of lamb, which was falling off the bone, with mash and winter veg. I had scallops and king prawns in a white wine and cream sauce with rice, it was amazing, my mouth is watering thinking of it. Emma had a ceaser salad, and Shannon had the childrens menu spag bol again (easier to let her have what she likes) no one had pudding and we shared a bottle of wine between the 3 of us and Shannon had a massive milkshake. We waddled back to the station and headed for the hotel and bed

heading home on the bus

we bought her a little dog obelix's dog, but cannot remember what its is called any ideas anyone?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #28
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Dogmatix is his name

Enjoyed your further installments

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #29
Dianetigger
May have to give the corkboard one a try myself!
Well I took the plunge today

Lovely pictures and I didn't realise there was a zoo in Paris!! Learn something new every day! Many thanks for another great report.
Dianetigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #30
karenmoloney
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear you didn't get too much out of Parc Asterix. I love the photo of Shannon in the stocks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: