Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
sorcerermick
DDC 638
I'm not paying all that money to sleep vacation away!

Question Child friendly digital camera

Does anybody have a suggestion for an inexpensive (about $100) digital camera that is simple to use? My daughter wants to take pictures but as you know, standard film costs a fortune to develop. I was hoping to get her a very plain no bells and whistles digital so she can snap away. Was looking at the Kodak Easyshare C300 but it is only digital zoom (from a menu no less), and the Concord which has optical zoom but a long delay. I realize I'm probably being to critical for a $100 camera but I am not very educated on these cameras. Does anybody have any suggstions for a child friendly digital camera?

TIA
sorcerermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
Ratpack
WL VET

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

How old is DD? My DD6 is the same way but she is not ready for anything of any cost. So what I found is a small simple digi cam from Wal-mart for $20. It has an internal memory that can store a good number of prints, mostly email size, but that will satisfy her for now. It has a flash as well. If you DD is older then you may want something better but I am not sure what to recommend.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
sorcerermick
DDC 638
I'm not paying all that money to sleep vacation away!

Well, I appreciate the response. She is 8 now, so I'll at least look into the camera at Wal-Mart.

Thanks.
sorcerermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:44 PM   #4
allie&mattsmom
Mouseketeer
I am Jakes favorite, hands down
I can't say I've ever seen an inflatable "deflated"

I'd be interested in suggestions for a reasonable ($100 or so) digital for my 10 y/o too if someone has any. Thanks!!
Old 11-30-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
Memaw2Wm
DIS Veteran

I bought my GK's the Kodak CX7300 last Christmas for $99.99 and they have really enjoyed them. I believe they are similar to the C300. No optical zoom either, but they really don't need one and they don't use the digital zoom.

They learned how to use the cameras within a few minutes.

My grandson got some great photos when he took a class trip to Jamestown last spring.

HTH
Memaw2Wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
MiknMinMouse
DIS Veteran

There's a really cute Disney Princess Digital Camera on the Disney Store Site. I'm thinking about getting that for my DD because she loves princessess and likes taking pictures but she's not completely interested in the results.

Fantasy Dec 2012 - here we come
MiknMinMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #7
bcvprincesses
DIS Veteran

This must be the year for kids wanting digital cameras. My dd's are 6 and 8 and want a camera. My first reaction was are you kidding. I then thought about how much we have spent on disposable cameras and that only one picture would actually turn out.

We bought an olympus stylus 300 that was originally $220 on clearance at Meijer for $99. It has 3.2 megapix and 3x optical zoom. It was a deal I just couldn't pass on. I hope they don't break it the first day.
bcvprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
happybratpack
Just Maryann :)
Hasn't had a curseless WDW trip in 5 years

ISO Advice: Digital Cameras for Kids

Does anyone have any suggestions for appropriate digital cameras for kids? (4 and 8) As you can imagine it's more about sturdiness and ease of use at this point.

ETA - Looking at this for the 4 yo, any reviews would be great.

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?...c&mainid=37019

Last edited by happybratpack; 11-06-2006 at 12:11 PM.
happybratpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
Master Mason

Can't stand tomatoes in the larval stage

my 14 year old has a canon A540. Cost about $150 or so. It has a full range of auto zones to pick from, built in flash, 4x optical 6mp It also has some auto features for room to grow with the camera as well. Another benifit is it does have a viewfinder, which some of the p&s are doing away with.

It isn't tiny, so it is a little more durable I think, but it is small enough to be put in a pocket.

It seamed like a fairly good beginner camera to me.

ETA this would be good for the 8 year old, might be too much for them, but it depends on the kid.
Master Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
ukcatfan
DIS Veteran

We are also looking at digitals for our DDs for X-mas. I have not heard very good things about the Fisher Price model other than it being very durable. I believe one person referred to the picture quality as "craptastic". What can you expect from that small of an image. I also read that it was too easy to accidentally delete an image. I heard that there is a Target exclusive model that comes with extras.

While the resolution is no better than the FP, I am looking into the $49 Disney Digital Blue - Pix-Click model. They have a tink model that I am thinking about for the 5 yo. Best buy has them in on their website. I still have not heard anything on the quality. They also have a 3MP model for $79, but it does not have the special designed faceplates that I think my little one will love. For my 8 yo. we will probably go with the $79 model. They also have a $19 model with the same general specs as the $49 model but it has no LCD screen and holds less images. I cannot find out if they accept more memory. There is special Disney software with all models.

I will go with a normal brand for the 13 yo. Somewhere in the $90-120 range. I am leaning towards the Nikon or Canon in that range. The Samsung and Kodak look decent also. I ruled out the Fuji and Olympus b/c they do not use SD memory. I will be handing down a card and with them I would have to spend more $ on a new card.

If anyone out there knows about the Disney cameras, please give us a review.

Kevin
ukcatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #11
jann1033
Right now I'm an inch of natural and a foot of unnatural
The time has come to break out of my mold

just subscribing also as am looking at one for granddaughter.

The Poetry of Light website
jann1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #12
happybratpack

Thanks for the heads up on the FP one. I do want the pics to be of decent quality so he can take pics at WDW or wherever w/ it. I like the durability factor of it, wondering what else would be anywhere near that in durability.

I think the 8 yo would be ok w/ anything as far as durability goes, she has been playing with her Dad's digital Rebel and has been careful.

Looking forward to reading more suggestions and thanks!

Old 11-07-2006, 08:26 AM   #13
asaj
Mouseketeer

I am in the same boat, looking for my 7 yr old DD. The problem with a lot of the "kid" digicams is that the memory isn't expandable, so you can only save like 15 pics to the onboard memory. I believe this to be the case with the $80 disney digital camera. For about that price, or a tad more, you can probably find a nice Canon that takes much better pictures, and you can use your own memory card to hold many more pictures.

I think this is the way I am going to go. I am waiting to see if there are any good deals around Thanksgiving, and then deciding. Otherwise, I'll probably go with something like the Canon A430, which takes SD cards (I too have one I will hand down), has 4mp, and great picture quality. It can be had for around $125 online. Hoping to find something similar on sale in a couple weeks though.

Let us know if you find a good deal on something.

Andy

asaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
ukcatfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaj
I am in the same boat, looking for my 7 yr old DD. The problem with a lot of the "kid" digicams is that the memory isn't expandable, so you can only save like 15 pics to the onboard memory. I believe this to be the case with the $80 disney digital camera. For about that price, or a tad more, you can probably find a nice Canon that takes much better pictures, and you can use your own memory card to hold many more pictures.
Here is what I found out about the Disney ones so far. The $49 one is only 640x480, but holds 200 images. The $79 one is a 3MP and has expandable memory. It did not say the type, but I would guess it is SD.

I am leaning towards the $49 one for the 5 yo. just because of the Tink case and she will not have any idea that her pics are smaller. It looks relatively easy to use. The $19 one is out because it does not have an LCD screen from what I can tell. I am leaning towards the $79 Disney one for the 9 yo. because she still would like the Disney aspect of it and does not need optical zoom. That is just something to break for someone her age. It looks only a little more complicated than the $49 one. For the 13 yo. I am leaning towards the Nikon L3 or L4 or Canon A530. If I want to go a little cheaper, there is a Kodak and Samsung that looked decent.

Just an FYI... It looks like the A430 is on its way out and you can get the A530 even cheaper than it.

Kevin
ukcatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
happybratpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcatfan
Here is what I found out about the Disney ones so far. The $49 one is only 640x480, but holds 200 images. The $79 one is a 3MP and has expandable memory. It did not say the type, but I would guess it is SD.
Kevin
I think I'm leaning the same way - the $49 for the 4 yo and the $79 for the 8 yo. I saw the reports that the $49 was at Best Buy now but has anyone seen the more expensive one anywhere?

Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: