Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
ShelleyRN
Earning My Ears

Christmas Parade taping

Does anyone know any information about when the Christmas parade will be taped. We are going Dec 5-14 and someone told me there was a possibility that it would be taped the first weekend in December. Has anyone been there when it was taped? How were the crowds and is it worth waiting for. We have an ADR for 8:05 at CP that morning so it is possible that we could get really a good viewing spot. Any information would be helpful.
ShelleyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyRN View Post
Does anyone know any information about when the Christmas parade will be taped. We are going Dec 5-14 and someone told me there was a possibility that it would be taped the first weekend in December. Has anyone been there when it was taped? How were the crowds and is it worth waiting for. We have an ADR for 8:05 at CP that morning so it is possible that we could get really a good viewing spot. Any information would be helpful.
Dates are Fri. and Sat., Dec. 5th and 6th, with Sun. the 7th held as a back-up day.

The "participating crowd" along Main Street watching the show is actually made up of an invited guest cast, chosen in advance by the production company.

The full parade is not actually run during the taping.
Just short scenes of it are performed, over-and-over, as the cameras capture different angles on the various "takes."
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
disneyag
DIS Veteran

There's another great post about this. It's VERY CROWDED that day. We did it last year and will NEVER go to the MK on that day again.

June 2013 Poly
June 2011 Poly CL
June 2010 Poly
June 2009 AKL CL
Dec 2007 WL CL
Oct 2006 Poly
June 2006 CR
June 2005 AKL
Oct 2004 WL
June 2004 AKL
June 2002 Poly
Sept. 2001 Poly CL
1999 Poly
1992 BC
1974 Poly
disneyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
nhl66pens
DIS Veteran

Is it totally packed or just around Main St? Is there a way to bypass the parade by taking the train around to Frontierland? We arrive the morning of the 6th and I know my daughter will want to see the MK first. I'm just trying to find out if there is any way. I doubt we would be getting there until after 12:30 PM.

Thanks.

me dw dd 10
nhl66pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Just Main Street is very crowded so you could hop on the train and head to the other side of the park. However, Saturday is a pretty busy day in MK in general so combine that with the fact that once the taping ends, the crowds on Main Street are likely to spill into the rest of the park. Also keep in mind that the usual Saturday crowds will be unable to hang out in Main Street which will make the rest of the park busier than usual.

If you have hoppers, you may want to spend as much time as you can stand in MK and then hop to another park. If you don't have hoppers, you may want to rethink your plan.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
nhl66pens
DIS Veteran

We do have hoppers and a 7 PM ressie at Teppan Edo. I just know she wanted to go to MK right away. Thanks for the info, I'll keep thinking about it and reading everyone's posts.

me dw dd 10
nhl66pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
PrincessTiffany
Is there anything better than Free Dining and Fastpasses?

Quote:
This is the link to another thread about Christmas Parade taping day:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1971777

We were in MK on Christmas Parade taping day in 2005 and I won't ever do it again. It was very crazy and we ended up hopping to Epcot that day.
PrincessTiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

All I can say is stay the heck away from MK on the Sat that is parade taping. DH and I were there the first weekend in Dec 06 and we stayed at the WL. On the Sat morning that was the taping we had 8am ressies at Kona so we hopped a bus to MK and were walking to the monoral....there were a sea of red shirt, Santa hat people all over the place at 7am in the morning...it was insane...it was a mass of people and we could not get from the bus area to the monorail except at a snail pace.

People were pouring off the buses, the boats, the ferrys and the monorail...it was insanity. We made it to Kona at 8am...it took one hour to get through that madness, they were not letting people in the park yet so everyone was jammed together and backed up all over.

When we were done with Kona, around 9am, we were back on the monorail and there were still people all over the place in front of MK and the Transportation Center. On the flip side Epcot was a ghost town that day, felt like we had the entire place to ourselves.
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
danielle.st
DIS Veteran

We are in the same boat
I knew I had read ages ago that the parage taping was that weekend, but my TA insisted there was nothing going on that weekend as she called Disney Reservations and they told her there were no special events on Saturday (I was there when she called, so that part I believe).
Anyway, I already told my kids that it will be crazy in MK that day and we can go to any of the 3 other parks. I don't care which one. They were actually ok with that when they understood that if we went to MK we wouldn't be able to do anything fun anyway. Right now they are torn between Epcot for Soarin' and AK to see the afternoon parade (probably will be our only chance to see AKs parade all week).
dd10
POP December 6-13, 2008
POP April 21-27, 2010
POP April 18-23, 2012
POFQ August 2014
danielle.st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
eeyoresnr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Dates are Fri. and Sat., Dec. 5th and 6th, with Sun. the 7th held as a back-up day.

The "participating crowd" along Main Street watching the show is actually made up of an invited guest cast, chosen in advance by the production company.

The full parade is not actually run during the taping.
Just short scenes of it are performed, over-and-over, as the cameras capture different angles on the various "takes."
when does the "invited list" go out?
1963-1999 Disneyland... Too many to list /Feb 2003 WDW All Star Sports- (Honeymoon- 1st WDW trip) / Jan 2004 WDW CSR (1st Anniversary)/ Aug 2004 Disneyland (Home-Sweet-Home) / Aug 2005 WDW CSR & POR / Dec 2005 CBR (MVMCP)/March 2006 WDW CSR (Braves / Dodgers) / April 2006 POR (Daughters 21st Birthday)Dec 2007 WDW ASMusic & Villas @WL (My Birthday & Our 5th Anniversary & 2 MVMCP)
Feb 2008 Pop Century / April 2008 ASMovies / Dec 2008 ASMusic, CR & OKW & AKL-(CL) MVMCP/Steam Train & Keys to the Kingdom Tours...
May 2009 CSR / Dec 2009 CSR & AKV Kidani SV / Bay Lake Towers / Boardwalk Villas (Backstage Magic Tour) / April 2010 AKV Kidani SV & FW Cabins / May 2010 CBR / Sept 2010 OKW / Dec 2010 CSR (My 50th Birthday)
April 2011 A.S. Sports/Bonnet Creek / May 2011 Bonnet Creek / Dec 2013 Bonnet Creek / March-April 2014 Bonnet Creek
Working on my ROAR! Jaxon's First trip to meet Mickey Mouse... Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988090
eeyoresnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
ktpoteet
Dec. 9 Anniversary at WDW!

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. My DH and I will be arriving on Dec. 6 around lunch time. We were planning on spending the remainder of the day at MK. Is this a bad idea? If the crowd from the parade will be bad then maybe we should go to another park? Thanks!!!
ktpoteet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #12
Cinderumbrella
Wench

We were at MK for parade taping evening in 2006. We left after 2 hours since it was such a madhouse. Tomorrowland was wall to wall people.

We arrive this year late on 12/5 and aren't going to the parks until 12/7.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: