Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #796
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

I second the breakfast for Boma (MMMM). We drove ourselves and it only took about 15minutes to get there.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #797
lucky978
Mouseketeer
Looks like there is hope for you now!
Signed, The Tag Fairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APB513 View Post
Could you tell us which parks you have visited and what were the wait times? How crowded has it been?

Thanks!
We visited all 4 parks. I found them to be quite busy on Friday, Sat, and Sunday. Monday we went to Epcot and it didn't seem that bad. Although when we got to Soarin at around 10 the wait was already 60 min. We got a fastpass of course. We also got a fastpass later for Test Track as the wait was 45 min. Mission Space was a 20 minute wait.

Yesterday we were at the Magic Kingdom in the morning and the crowds seemed significantly lighter than it had been when we were there earlier in the week.

Hope this helps. I found the the crowd calendar on touringplans.com was pretty accurate if you have a chance to check it out for your dates.

April, 2009 - POFQ
February, 2008 - POR
September, 2006 - 10th Anniv trip to WL
June, 2005 - POR
December, 2004 - Offsite house
April, 2004 - POFQ
October, 2003 and Sept. 1997 - Offsite houses
October, 1984 - Offsite @ Royal Plaza
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #798
lucky978
Mouseketeer
Signed, The Tag Fairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britgirlus View Post
Couple more questions Another pool one - do they have life vests or similar available for the kids to use ? Or are you allowed to bring your own ? I would love for my son to be in the pool without needing me to hold him up - that gets to be hard work after a while In our local pools, nothing is allowed - drives me crazy !!
Also - I heard a tip to use an over the door shoe holder in the bathrooms to keep toiletries etc, as the pedestal sinks obviously don't have much space on them - but I just saw a photo of the sinks, with a curtain in front of them. I presume there's a door there somewhere, too ? I have to go looking for photos - I know I've seen them, just can't remember exactly how the bathrooms are laid out
Thanks so much !!!!! You'll probably be hearing alot from me as our May 16th vacation gets closer !
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. They have life vests available for use - but they are the full life vests and I didn't see very many children's ones in the box. I would suggest that you bring your own flotation device from home. I saw lots of kids in the pool with "water wings" on their arms and "bubbles" on their backs.

I purchased a over the door shoe rack to bring to keep all of our stuff in it - but I couldn't get it to work. It was too long and was hitting the floor and I couldn't get it to stay on the railing. The hooks that came with it were made to go over the top of a door (square) and the rack in the room is round...so it wouldn't stay on. We just used the shelf over the rack for all of our stuff and it worked out fine. And we had plenty of "stuff" LOL

As for the layout of the bathroom area if you are standing facing the sinks the door to the shower and toilet area are to the right and the rod for hangers is to the left with a shelf over it. That is also where the iron and ironing board is stored.

I hope this helps - enjoy your trip and ask any questions you may have.

April, 2009 - POFQ
February, 2008 - POR
June, 2005 - POR
April, 2004 - POFQ
Old 04-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #799
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
I second the breakfast for Boma (MMMM). We drove ourselves and it only took about 15minutes to get there.
Oh great!! 15 minutes-good to know. Thanks!!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #800
ashleyrm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britgirlus View Post
Also - I heard a tip to use an over the door shoe holder in the bathrooms to keep toiletries etc, as the pedestal sinks obviously don't have much space on them - but I just saw a photo of the sinks, with a curtain in front of them. I presume there's a door there somewhere, too ? I have to go looking for photos - I know I've seen them, just can't remember exactly how the bathrooms are laid out
Thanks so much !!!!! You'll probably be hearing alot from me as our May 16th vacation gets closer !

Note the shelf above the sinks. Plenty of room for toiletries. There is a curtain between the sinks and the sleeping area. There is a door between the sinks and the toilet/tub room.

Hope this answers your question!
March 1994 - Poly; 1995 - CBR; Nov 1997 - All Star Music; Dec 1998 - Beach Club; Aug 1999 - Dixie Landings; July 2002 - POR; Summer 2003 - ASMo; Nov 2004 - POR; April 2005 - OKW Jan 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter; ; Feb 2009 - POR; Mar/Apr 2009 - BC; May 2009 - POFQ; Nov 2009 - Pop; Mar 2011 - All Star Movies; Apr 2012 - POR; Aug 2012 - ASMu; Dec 2012 - CSR; Feb 2013 - ASSports; May 2013- POFQ; Oct 2013 -CSR; Dec 2013 - ASSports; Feb '14 - AKL; Apr '14 - POP; May '14 - SSR treehouse; Jul 14 - CSR; Oct '14 POFQ/CSR
Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #801
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky978 View Post
We visited all 4 parks. I found them to be quite busy on Friday, Sat, and Sunday. Monday we went to Epcot and it didn't seem that bad. Although when we got to Soarin at around 10 the wait was already 60 min. We got a fastpass of course. We also got a fastpass later for Test Track as the wait was 45 min. Mission Space was a 20 minute wait.

Yesterday we were at the Magic Kingdom in the morning and the crowds seemed significantly lighter than it had been when we were there earlier in the week.

Hope this helps. I found the the crowd calendar on touringplans.com was pretty accurate if you have a chance to check it out for your dates.
Thanks Lucky! I have been looking at touringplans crowd calendar. I am a little concerned because they are predicting 8s and 9s for my entire trip

1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR - Homebased Travel Agent Forum

Angela
Me DS24 DS19

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
Old 04-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #802
Lou-Ann
DIS Veteran

DQ is Disney Quest not Dairy Queen. sorry...
Old 04-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #803
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Just returned home yesterday

We had a very nice stay at POFQ from 4/20 to 27. When our TA made our reservation, she requested a quiet location as my dh has health problems and needs to be able to sleep during the day. We paid for a king bedded room. Well, I think we may have gotten the very best room in the resort. We were in Room 5323, Building 5, third floor, and away from all pedestrian traffic. From one window we looked up the river toward Riverside and from the other we looked out over the river. We had a short walk to the elevator.

Mousekeeping was great. Our room was refreshed daily. We took our own sheets and blanket and had mousekeeping remove the resort's linens the first morning (so they wouldn't be in our way). We had three towel decorations -- a Mickey head on our bed when we arrived, a dog on dh's birthday, and a pair of swans on our anniversary.

Photopass cards (for a discount, not for free) were delivered to our room for dh's birthday and our anniversary. Would have been nice to have been able to get a complementary photo, but that was not the case.

The food court offers a good selection of foods for all the meals. It is not outstanding food, but it is satisfying. A lady that cleans the tables (Ethel? Edith?) saw that it was our anniversary and made a big to-do over it. Now, this lady must be in her 70s, but here she was hollering out loud enough for the whole dining area to hear: "Hear ye, hear ye. We here at the French Quarter love to celebrate and today we are celebrating an anniversary. Jim and Deb have been married for 32 years. . . ." Then she brought us a card, some beads and some coins and told us how much she loves making a fuss over people's special days. You know how sometimes you know people are being nice just because it is their job? It sounds fake and you can see right through it. You know they are doing it because it is their job. Well, not this lady. She is REAL. She loves what she is doing and puts her whole heart into it. We saw her at another table talking about her husband and all the years they've had together (I believe she said 58 years of marriage) and she had a couple tears on her cheeks.

We didn't make it to the pool while we were there, so I can't comment on that.

The buses didn't go to POR about 50% of the time. Only once did a bus drop off at POR before going to POFQ. Not sure why he did that. It takes about 15 minutes to make the entire loop around POR. There doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason to how they decide whether or not to go to POR. We had a packed bus one morning and the driver still did POR even though the bus was so full. Another morning, there were only ten of us on the bus and he went straight to the park. We had one long wait for a bus -- 45 minutes -- to get back to POFQ from AK. That was annoying because we watched four buses come for Coronado Springs while waiting for our bus.

If you want to get to rope drop (and actually be able to SEE rope drop), do plan to leave the resort an hour before the park opens. And, as I've read elsewhere on the DIS, get in line to enter the park at the gate marked Castmembers -- it is off to the side and most people don't realize that you don't have to be a castmember to use that entry point.

I wore my LGMH the entire week and never attracted another DISser. I did attract a beautiful butterfly several times that was the exact same color as the LGMH though! Gosh, I just read through six pages that you all filled up while I was gone and some of you were there the same time as I was. I can't believe we didn't connect. Even my husband started looking for people with LGMHs after a while.

Oh, we did see Elliot Dyson one night. He's very good. I could have listened to him longer but dh was tired and ready to head to the room.

Every staff member we encountered was courteous, no grumpies to be found. We actually "met" our mousekeeper the day we were leaving and found her to be a delightful bubbly young lady from Korea. She truly seemed sorry to see us leaving.

My one complaint is that people don't use the designated smoking areas. We had to ask two girls to not sit outside our room smoking on our last day. These were teenagers who were probably on a senior class trip and should have been more well-monitored. But earlier in our stay, we saw adults who should have known better on other balconies smoking. And we also saw quite a few cigarette butts left laying around the grounds. The management needs to be more clear to people about where they can smoke. I think "no smoking" signs on the balconies would be a good idea. It would be nice to see management actually enforce the use of the designated smoking areas.

Almost forgot -- we did the carriage ride at POR one night. The driver (Joe) asked whether we wanted to go through POFQ or POR and we decided that we'd like to see POR so he took us around there. It was a very nice ride. $45.00 (that was a bit of a surprise because on the phone I had been told $35.00).

And, we saw a few otters in the water one morning. (Also, on our last day there appeared to be a lot of toilet paper floating in the water -- I don't know if it was seniors tp-ing or perhaps there was a sewage problem.)

To all those of you heading down there soon -- Have a great time! And if you are celebrating something, wear your button so the lady in the food court can do her thing. It truly seems to make her day.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #804
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

pwdebbie - thank you so much for a lovely trip report. Everything about your trip sounds wonderful! I am so happy you enjoyed your FQ stay.

A question about your room - was it a king HC room? If so, this will help me when I speak with special needs concerning a room location for our next stay at FQ.

Thanks again and welcome back!

lucky978 - thank you for answering all of our questions! Sounds like it was a busy time at the parks, but you still enjoyed the trip. Hope you have some magical memories too! Welcome back to reality.

Last edited by Minnie&Nana; 04-29-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #805
KSBelle
DIS Veteran

pwdebbie-Glad to hear that you had such a good time. Thanks for the trip report. We'll be there in 25 days and your report really got me excited to be there.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #806
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place

Thanks Debbie for a very detailed trip report. Sounds like you and your dH enjoyed yourselves

Only 13 more days til I'm at POFQ for the first time.

1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR - Homebased Travel Agent Forum

Angela
Me DS24 DS19

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
Old 04-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #807
lucky978
Mouseketeer
Signed, The Tag Fairy!

pwdebbie-

Seems that our trips overlapped a bit! I wish I had spotted a LGMH!!! We saw one woman at DTD getting off the boat one day with one, but that was the only one. I forgot mine at home.

I remember seeing that woman in the food court, too! We didn't get any "hoopla" from her as we didn't have any of our celebration buttons on, but I do remember thinking how happy she looked to be there. So nice to see someone enjoying their job!

I agree with you about the busses. They were so unpredictable as to whether or not they were going to POR on the way to the park. We only went once all week. Strange.

The carriage ride looked nice. I wish we did that while we were there.

Thanks for posting your update. Welcome Back!!!

April, 2009 - POFQ
February, 2008 - POR
June, 2005 - POR
April, 2004 - POFQ
Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #808
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post
pwdebbie - thank you so much for a lovely trip report. Everything about your trip sounds wonderful! I am so happy you enjoyed your FQ stay.

A question about your room - was it a king HC room? If so, this will help me when I speak with special needs concerning a room location for our next stay at FQ.

Thanks again and welcome back!

lucky978 - thank you for answering all of our questions! Sounds like it was a busy time at the parks, but you still enjoyed the trip. Hope you have some magical memories too! Welcome back to reality.
Our room was not a king HC room. Dh is disabled, but it is "invisible." He's able to walk at a fairly normal pace. He has a lung condition (which is why the girls smoking outside our room particularly disconcerting), some autoimmune problems, and some mental confusion. All the result of Lyme Disease that did not get diagnosed until it was in the later neurological stage. Short term memory is shot -- he doesn't even remember our Oct. 2007 trip to WDW. Probably won't remember this one either in a few months.

But any way, I think for an HC room, you have to be on the first floor. So, room 5123 would be a good room to try for if it is HC.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #809
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Our room was not a king HC room. Dh is disabled, but it is "invisible." He's able to walk at a fairly normal pace. He has a lung condition (which is why the girls smoking outside our room particularly disconcerting), some autoimmune problems, and some mental confusion. All the result of Lyme Disease that did not get diagnosed until it was in the later neurological stage. Short term memory is shot -- he doesn't even remember our Oct. 2007 trip to WDW. Probably won't remember this one either in a few months.

But any way, I think for an HC room, you have to be on the first floor. So, room 5123 would be a good room to try for if it is HC.
Thank you, pwdebbie. I understand about your husband - in many ways my MS is often invisible with more autoimmune issues and breathing issues than may meet the eye. Smoking in inappropriate areas, esp outside our room, could pose a serious health risk, I am glad your DH was okay.

For future reference, in case the need should ever arise for your DH, FQ does have HC rooms on all floors b/c of the elevator access. I will check on 5123 with special needs - thanks ever so much!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #810
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Just wanted to say that I am finally in single digits. We'll be there in just 9 days! Not that I'm all that excited you understand!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: