Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #631
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Only 7 days to finally check in to this Resort
I just cant wait. POFQ just looks so awesome.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #632
MinDE
Earning My Ears

Still working on how to add stuff to my signature but we are staying here 6/12 to 6/19

DH and I spent our honeymoon at POFQ in 1993 and we stayed at POR with our kids in 2000. We are psyched to bring our boys here (they are now 14 and 12) and I hope we will all have a great time!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #633
stinkerbella6206
Earning My Ears

Question from an obsessive planner...

Hello! I am in the midst of planning every detail of our upcoming trip to Disney to celebrate our daughter's 3rd birthday May 27-June 3rd. We are doing the regular dining plan, and I have made reservations for just about every character meal (definitely catering to the little birthday princess!!) We recently switched to POFQ from CBR because I was worried that CBR would just be too massive for us. So hopefully we made the right decision. From all of these posts I have been reading, it seems to have been just that! All of the photos of POFQ are beautiful! And I think we will love the boat to DD. Overall, the small size of the resort will be nice when carrying back an exhausted toddler! I have read through all of these posts, which have given me a wealth of information- so thanks to everyone! I do have a couple of questions that I haven't come across answers to (I apologize if they were already answered and I missed them!). First of all, I am wondering about the cost of basic grocery supplies at the Jackson Square shop- ie milk, bread, PB, cereal, snacks. I know we will need such things to tide DD over, and we were hoping to eat a light breakfast in the room prior to hitting the parks in the morning. So I'm trying to decide if I should pick these items up at the resort or use gardengrocer.com. ANy opinions? ANy ideas how much these items cost at the resort? Secondly, will the campfire at POR be going on during our stay, or does this only run through March? Finally, is there a butterfly garden at POR? ANy information on this? DD would love it! Thanks in advance!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #634
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

You can pick up the sorts of groceries you mention at the resort store, but as with any hotel shop it's not cheap! It is still cheaper than buying from the food court, though. However you could get the same stuff elsewhere for a lot less, and keep it in your room if you like (there is a fridge for milk, yoghurt, etc). A lot of people do this, especially with milk & cereals. We do this sometimes, but personally I think getting breakfast from the food court (even if you take it back to your room) is part of the fun.

The campfire at POR is meant to be seasonal, ending in March, but I've not heard any recent confirmation of this - maybe they'll continue it this year? One issue with running it in the summer would be that it gets dark later and it strikes me as being a dusk/evening activity.

There certainly used to be a butterfly garden at POR, just behind Acadian House, but I've not been able to track it down recently and several cast members looked at me completely blankly when I asked them about it. I suspect that is has no longer been officially maintained, but if the plants are still there then they should still attract butterflies. Has anyone found it recently, or can locate exactly where it was located?

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 04-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #635
stinkerbella6206
Earning My Ears

Thanks andrewilley for the reply. As we will not have a car, and are completely dependent on Disney transportation, I was trying to figure out the best way to get a few staples. Do you think the prices are inflated enough in the resort store to warrant the $12 delivery fee for gardengrocer delivery? The $12 fee definitely seems cheaper than a cab fare would be, and from my understanding there are no grocery stores within walking distance of POFQ, DD, etc? We will be on the lookout for the butterfly garden during our trip!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #636
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkerbella6206 View Post
Thanks andrewilley for the reply. As we will not have a car, and are completely dependent on Disney transportation, I was trying to figure out the best way to get a few staples. Do you think the prices are inflated enough in the resort store to warrant the $12 delivery fee for gardengrocer delivery? The $12 fee definitely seems cheaper than a cab fare would be, and from my understanding there are no grocery stores within walking distance of POFQ, DD, etc? We will be on the lookout for the butterfly garden during our trip!

I agree the $12 fee will definitely be cheaper than a taxi cab to and from the grocery store. I honestly don't know how inflated the prices at the hotel would be though.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #637
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post

There certainly used to be a butterfly garden at POR, just behind Acadian House, but I've not been able to track it down recently and several cast members looked at me completely blankly when I asked them about it. I suspect that is has no longer been officially maintained, but if the plants are still there then they should still attract butterflies. Has anyone found it recently, or can locate exactly where it was located?

Andre
I hope it is still there. I wanted to take DS3 who loves the butterfly exhibit at our local zoo.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #638
PrincessDonna
Earning My Ears

Have a great trip! We go May 7-15th, and I can't wait! But I have to ....
January 2012 - Disney Dream (LOVED IT!!!)
Hoping for Jan 2013 on the Fantasy....
Old 04-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #639
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
I hope it is still there. I wanted to take DS3 who loves the butterfly exhibit at our local zoo.

Wow, you leave tomorrow!! I hope you have a great time!!!

1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR - Homebased Travel Agent Forum

Angela
Me DS24 DS19

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
Old 04-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #640
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time anyway, and I'd love to know if you manage to find the butterfly garden or at least a cast member who can show you exactly where it was.

Even if you don't find it, the Epcot Flower & Garden festival, which is on at the moment, has Minnie’s Magnificent Butterfly Garden where "hundreds of butterflies will flit inside a walk-through screened enclosure that includes a live exhibit showing how caterpillars form a chrysalis and emerge as butterflies."

Have fun!

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #641
feline figaro
WDW Bride May 2009 - WDW Vet

Question Check In Query

Can anyone confirm whether POFQ has somewhere to store luggage till we re able to check in? We ll be arriving there mid morning but have been told check in does nt open till 4 . So we just need somewhere to store our cases whilst we re going round the parks for a few hours until we can come back & check in
Any info will be greatly appreciated
Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #642
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by feline figaro View Post
Can anyone confirm whether POFQ has somewhere to store luggage till we re able to check in? We ll be arriving there mid morning but have been told check in does nt open till 4 . So we just need somewhere to store our cases whilst we re going round the parks for a few hours until we can come back & check in
I believe they do. I know all of the Disney hotels I have stayed at from value to deluxe allow you to store luggage until you are able to check in. I haven't stayed at POFQ yet but I don't see why they shouldn't!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #643
mdrob214
Denise a.k.a. Mikki and Pooh's Mom
I read it on the DIS....it must be true!
Personally, I hate making cupcakes, but like making the just for fun cakes

Quote:
Yes--they will keep it while you're at the parks! You can also check in and get your keys with tickets on them, and they can tell you your room number when you return. That's what we did last time (at a different resort, but I think they all do this)
Old 04-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #644
Tink's Pixieduster
Haven't a clue why it would be there
WAKEY, WAKEY!! RISE AND SHINE!!!

Quote:
You don't have to wait until 4PM to check in at POFQ. You can check in as soon as you arrive, but your room may not be ready yet.

If your room is ready you can take your luggage directly to your room and leave it, and then go on to the parks.

If your room is not ready you will be given a card with a phone number on it you can call from the parks to find out if your room is ready and what the room number is. Then you can take your luggage to baggage claims office after you check in.

ETA - Unless you have an annual pass, your park admission will be on your room key card. In other words, you can't get into any park unless you have checked in and everyone has their room key/park admission card. Since you are from the UK its not likely you have an annual pass. So just dropping your bags at the baggage claims office without checking in will not get you into the parks.

The baggage office is located near where the Magical Express drops you off. The person at baggage claims who assists you will count your bags to be checked in, and the number will be noted on a receipt you will be given. Then you can go on to the parks and have some fun.

So, besides your room key/park admission cards (these look a bit like credit cards), you will have two paper cards to keep track of: 1) the card you were given at check-in with the phone number to call to find out if your room is ready, and 2) the receipt from the baggage office when you checked in your bags.

Later in the day, when you are ready to return to POFQ you can call the number on the card you were handed at check in. If you are told your room is ready you will also be given your room number (make sure you write it down on the card) and you can return to POFQ and go straight to your room; your room key card will work without needing to stop back at check in. Once in your room you will find the telephone number for the baggage office on the telephone (it will also be on the receipt you were given when you checked your bags), and you can call to have your bags delivered. Please remember to tip the delivery person $1 per bag. Or, if you prefer, you can return to the baggage claims office yourselves to re-claim your bags, but I can tell you that after an afternoon slogging around in the parks the last thing I want to do is some more walking and this time with luggage.

Guess you can tell we've done this a time or two.

Last edited by Tink's Pixieduster; 04-07-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #645
feline figaro
WDW Bride May 2009 - WDW Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink's Pixieduster View Post
You don't have to wait until 4PM to check in at POFQ. You can check in as soon as you arrive, but your room may not be ready yet.

If your room is ready you can take your luggage directly to your room and leave it, and then go on to the parks.

If your room is not ready you will be given a card with a phone number on it you can call from the parks to find out if your room is ready and what the room number is. Then you can take your luggage to baggage claims office after you check in.

ETA - Unless you have an annual pass, your park admission will be on your room key card. In other words, you can't get into any park unless you have checked in and everyone has their room key/park admission card. Since you are from the UK its not likely you have an annual pass. So just dropping your bags at the baggage claims office without checking in will not get you into the parks.

The baggage office is located near where the Magical Express drops you off. The person at baggage claims who assists you will count your bags to be checked in, and the number will be noted on a receipt you will be given. Then you can go on to the parks and have some fun.

So, besides your room key/park admission cards (these look a bit like credit cards), you will have two paper cards to keep track of: 1) the card you were given at check-in with the phone number to call to find out if your room is ready, and 2) the receipt from the baggage office when you checked in your bags.

Later in the day, when you are ready to return to POFQ you can call the number on the card you were handed at check in. If you are told your room is ready you will also be given your room number (make sure you write it down on the card) and you can return to POFQ and go straight to your room; your room key card will work without needing to stop back at check in. Once in your room you will find the telephone number for the baggage office on the telephone (it will also be on the receipt you were given when you checked your bags), and you can call to have your bags delivered. Please remember to tip the delivery person $1 per bag. Or, if you prefer, you can return to the baggage claims office yourselves to re-claim your bags, but I can tell you that after an afternoon slogging around in the parks the last thing I want to do is some more walking and this time with luggage.

Guess you can tell we've done this a time or two.
Thanks for the great advice

We re both annual pass holders, was given annual passes as a wedding gift from Disney so we can go straight in to the parks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: