Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #2311
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Just back from 7 days at POFQ.

1. CMs: Other than the spacey/not-so-friendly check-in CM (the one next to her seemed really helpful/sweet, though), I thought the CMs were great. The food court servers, cashiers, cleaners, were all very nice. A couple of them really went out of their way.

2. Pool: Great for kids -- the dragon slide is so much fun. I had to get uppity with a little girl who would not let anyone else near a gator that squirted water (and she would spray water onto anyone who came near it). When she sprayed it into my 3 year old's eyes, she really heard it from me (she wasn't just trying to play either -- the girl NEVER cracked a smile and I could tell other parents were upset with her, too). Unfortunately, I don't think she spoke or understood English, so it probably didn't matter. Fabulous lifeguard presence there, by the way.

3. Rooms: What you'd expect. If you've ever stayed at a moderate, it's the typical moderate room set-up. The room was really clean the first three days, but I think mousekeeping got a little slack on us toward the end (and we tipped $5/day) -- even though the mousekeeping card always said "Norma", I don't believe it was her every single day (doesn't she have a day off?). We had a Mickey head towel animal the first day and a penguin towel animal the second day. The room was fine, but I also knew what to expect. We had requested bldg. 7 (because we thought we'd make it over to POR more, but we only went over there once) and a corner room. Got both of those requests. So, bldg. 7 was one the farthest out from the food court, but totally manageable. I also liked that it was quiet over there.

4. Food court: Totally fine, in my opinion. There were enough choices. I never had a burger (not that I would've minded one). I had a chicken/rib combo, mufaletta, pot roast, taco salad, etc. -- in the mornings I had anything from beignets to Mickey waffles and strawberries to a breakfast croissant to a breakfast platter (eggs, bacon, biscuit, etc.). They kept it clean and well-stocked and while the food court was small, we could always find a table (usually sat in the same spot each day). I preferred it to the overwhelming size of POR's food court.

5. Buses: Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. We drove about 1/2 the time. We never shared with POR on the way to anywhere, but we did share with POR on the way back from DHS and AKL. No biggie. I don't like that the AKL bus stopped off at Blizzard Beach (both coming and going). Buses going to the parks always seemed quicker than the ones going back to the resort. All in all, it was fine, though.

6. Misc.:
a. Boat to DTD -- nice and relaxing.
b. Gift shop -- great selection of stuff.
c. Lounge/Bar -- great musician.
d. Playground -- my kids (especially the 3 year old) LOVED it.

To sum it up, I thought it was great choice of resort if you're going to choose a moderate. You can't beat the size. The ambience was very pretty and relaxing. CMs were friendly/helpful. I would definitely stay there again.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #2312
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Oh, and one more thing -- I thought their pizza was fine for what it was -- it was comparable to my local Dominoe's. Now, Pizza Planet pizza at DHS, on the other hand . . . blech.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #2313
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music City Mama View Post
Just back from 7 days at POFQ.

1. CMs: Other than the spacey/not-so-friendly check-in CM (the one next to her seemed really helpful/sweet, though), I thought the CMs were great. The food court servers, cashiers, cleaners, were all very nice. A couple of them really went out of their way.

2. Pool: Great for kids -- the dragon slide is so much fun. I had to get uppity with a little girl who would not let anyone else near a gator that squirted water (and she would spray water onto anyone who came near it). When she sprayed it into my 3 year old's eyes, she really heard it from me (she wasn't just trying to play either -- the girl NEVER cracked a smile and I could tell other parents were upset with her, too). Unfortunately, I don't think she spoke or understood English, so it probably didn't matter. Fabulous lifeguard presence there, by the way.

3. Rooms: What you'd expect. If you've ever stayed at a moderate, it's the typical moderate room set-up. The room was really clean the first three days, but I think mousekeeping got a little slack on us toward the end (and we tipped $5/day) -- even though the mousekeeping card always said "Norma", I don't believe it was her every single day (doesn't she have a day off?). We had a Mickey head towel animal the first day and a penguin towel animal the second day. The room was fine, but I also knew what to expect. We had requested bldg. 7 (because we thought we'd make it over to POR more, but we only went over there once) and a corner room. Got both of those requests. So, bldg. 7 was one the farthest out from the food court, but totally manageable. I also liked that it was quiet over there.

4. Food court: Totally fine, in my opinion. There were enough choices. I never had a burger (not that I would've minded one). I had a chicken/rib combo, mufaletta, pot roast, taco salad, etc. -- in the mornings I had anything from beignets to Mickey waffles and strawberries to a breakfast croissant to a breakfast platter (eggs, bacon, biscuit, etc.). They kept it clean and well-stocked and while the food court was small, we could always find a table (usually sat in the same spot each day). I preferred it to the overwhelming size of POR's food court.

5. Buses: Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. We drove about 1/2 the time. We never shared with POR on the way to anywhere, but we did share with POR on the way back from DHS and AKL. No biggie. I don't like that the AKL bus stopped off at Blizzard Beach (both coming and going). Buses going to the parks always seemed quicker than the ones going back to the resort. All in all, it was fine, though.

6. Misc.:
a. Boat to DTD -- nice and relaxing.
b. Gift shop -- great selection of stuff.
c. Lounge/Bar -- great musician.
d. Playground -- my kids (especially the 3 year old) LOVED it.

To sum it up, I thought it was great choice of resort if you're going to choose a moderate. You can't beat the size. The ambience was very pretty and relaxing. CMs were friendly/helpful. I would definitely stay there again.
Thanks for the nice review! We also enjoy FQ for a moderate, but have never been fond of the food court design - food has been fine (last time we were they told us food was prepared to order so it takes a bit longer, but is nice and fresh). LOVE the Beignets...and the walk to POR is soo pretty.
Elliot Dyson at Scat Cats is fabulous and worth a stay at FQ to see him!
Thanks again and glad you had a great stay!

(p.s. Hoping the room refurb will really happen this yr or next!).

Old 06-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #2314
skipperkim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkle View Post
I can probably change it then? No waterview.......anybody else choosing waterview???
Then put a request in for a view of the fountain. You'll be on the inside of buildings 1, 2, and 3. Buildings 2 and 3 are closest to the food court.
May 2005 - Cont
Oct 2005 - POFQ
Sept 2006 - POFQ
Dec 2008 - CSR
Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #2315
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

We stayed at POFQ last September and are going again in December. For other Northerners who may not want a biscuit AND a waffle on their breakfst platter, you can ask for 2 waffle instead. We did this and split the platter so we ended up with extra CS credits.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #2316
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post
Thanks for the nice review! We also enjoy FQ for a moderate, but have never been fond of the food court design - food has been fine (last time we were they told us food was prepared to order so it takes a bit longer, but is nice and fresh). LOVE the Beignets...and the walk to POR is soo pretty.
Elliot Dyson at Scat Cats is fabulous and worth a stay at FQ to see him!
Thanks again and glad you had a great stay!

(p.s. Hoping the room refurb will really happen this yr or next!).
I agree that it takes longer because the food is made to order. When I ordered beignets, they were cut/fried/powdered then. When I ordered french fries for my child, I always had to wait because they made/fried them fresh right then. There were several food items like this.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #2317
MiMi2Three
now MiMi2Four

Where does the boat take you in the DTD area? It looked like the Marketplace from some photos that I have seen, but wanted to be sure. Thanks
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #2318
sailbill
Still trying to figure out all those abbreviations

Marketplace, close to Goofy's Candy Company
Old 06-22-2010, 05:47 AM   #2319
DJT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMi2Three View Post
Where does the boat take you in the DTD area? It looked like the Marketplace from some photos that I have seen, but wanted to be sure. Thanks
When you get off the boat and walk down the walkway, Rainforest Cafe is on your left.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #2320
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Is there a wait for the boats? Are they very busy?
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
Old 06-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #2321
DCDisney
On my way...

In the early evening we have had to wait as much as 30 minutes before and actually would have waited longer except all the groups in line in front of us were large and we had just 2 and they had 2 seats left. We have also had to wait a bit coming back but sometimes there has hardly been anyone too.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #2322
Madisonsmom45
Mouseketeer

Talking waiting for boats

When we have stayed at POR we have never had any issues with waiting.
This may be because we travel to WDW during low season. Usually there are only a couple of people waiting.
Bonniehttp://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/banana.gif
POR 2007 Dec
POR 2009 Sept 9-9-09 to 9-18-09 with free dining and MNSSHP
POR 2010 Aug 26 to Sept 5 with free dining
POR 2011 Aug 26 to Sept 4 with free dining
POR 2012 Aug 24 to Sept 2 (Hopefully free dining)
Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #2323
eeyorethegreat
DIS Veteran

My mom uses an ecv can we take it on the boat?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #2324
summerlady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorethegreat View Post
My mom uses an ecv can we take it on the boat?
Yes, she can.

~Polynesian 1986~Many day trips from Mom & Dad's~Port Orleans March 2000~POFQ April 2008~POFQ May 2009~POFQ November 2009~POFQ November 2010~POFQ October 2011~POR October 2012~POFQ September 2013~POFQ March 2014~POFQ September 2014~
Old 06-28-2010, 01:57 AM   #2325
cazzie
DIS Veteran

A little tip....

We were waiting for the boat from Riverside to FQ and we weren't allowed on as it was full although there were empty seats. We were talking to a CM whilst we were waiting for the next one and he mentioned that they have to save 11 seats (I could be wrong on the number it was last year) for FQ but if we had told her we were only going to FQ she would have let us on.
April 2005 - Rodeway Inn International - September 2005 - Radisson Barcelo International Drive - May 2006 - Pop Century - September 2006 - All Star Music - January 2007 - All Star Movies September 2007 - All Star Movies - January 2008 - All Star Sports - December 2008 - All Star Movies - September 2009 - POFQ - September 2010 - OKW - January 2011 - OKW - November 2011 - OKW, GF & AKL - May 2012 - Kidani, OKW - January 2013 - OKW & Kidani
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: