Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #2251
taz217
Earning My Ears

Is it August yet????
Old 06-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #2252
Madisonsmom45
Mouseketeer

Smile Is it August yet?

I wish it was August. But then again that would mean winter is right around the corner and where I come from the winter can be brutal...
Bonniehttp://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/yay.gif
POR 2007 Dec
POR 2009 Sept 9-9-09 to 9-18-09 with free dining and MNSSHP
POR 2010 Aug 26 to Sept 5 with free dining
POR 2011 Aug 26 to Sept 4 with free dining
POR 2012 Aug 24 to Sept 2 (Hopefully free dining)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #2253
pinkle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz217 View Post
Is it August yet????

Is it Sepember yet????? Lucky you, get to go first
Old 06-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #2254
latexscooter
Be nice even if it takes some effort.

We returned from an 8 night stay at POFQ on June 2. Once again it was a wonderful visit. Here's a review of our stay. If you’re interested I'm working on a full blown TR with pictures and will post when I get a bit more organized.

I booked for 8 nights in a standard room with no additional requests. Ten days out I used online check in and added the request of a ground floor room. We arrived at WDW approximately 12:30 p.m. on May 25. e had a rental car and I parked in the front while I went to check in. A friendly bell man greeted us at the front door and held the door open. I walked right in and went to the easily marked area for online check in. There were two people working online check in, two people working traditional check in and two people at concierge. All people working had people with them but there was no one else waiting in any of the lines.

After about 2-3 minutes I was called to the desk by a lovely lady whose name now escapes me. My room check in package was ready along with my room keys, parking pass and other materials. The other bonus was that our room was ready! We were giving 3116 (I think).

Our room was located in building three, on the ground floor (yeah!). Building three is one over from the main building. Think of it this way, if you are standing in front of the main building, it is to the right. Because the buildings are T shaped we were around the corner between the main building and the parking lot. This was great news since we had a rental car too. Our room also looked out on to a fountain which was lovely. I have some pictures but have not uploaded them yet. I'll try to get it done tonight.

Our room was clean, cool and comfortable. We had no broken furniture, appliances, etc. Throughout our stay the room was cleaned well by housekeeping. For no apparent reason, a few days into our trip they changed out our shower curtain liner. I thought this was nice since it didn't appear to have any wear or mold on it. I think they just must have done it as part of regular maintenance. So I give good marks to the housekeeping crew.

The one thing we didn't like was related to the mini-fridge. They put the fridge inside a wood cabinet so you don't have to feel like you're in a dorm. But the door to the cabinet opened to the left and the door to the fridge opened to the right. Whenever we'd go to get something out of the fridge we felt like we were opening up a Chinese puzzle to get what we needed. It was stupid but certainly not something to get grumpy about.

For the first several days of our stay we received phone messages alerting us to scheduled maintenance that was supposed to be taking place on the exterior of the resort. However, we didn't observe any maintenance taking place on any of those days. So either they were discreet or we were oblivious.

The location for POFQ couldn't be better for anyone driving. Although we have stayed here several times in the past this was the first time we had a car. What a great location! Everything was a short drive away regardless of the direction. We loved it. Unfortunately those of you who are looking for bus advice… we don't have any. We didn't take the bus once.

The pool was great and the life guards tolerant and good natured. I hope they are getting paid a lot because some guests are just horrible. We used the pool several times and never thought it was over populated even though there were a good number of people there. We like that the lounge chairs are everywhere and you can find some shade easily if you are interested. There is also a bit to do between the waterfall, slide and open swim areas. It’s very well designed and easy to enjoy.

The food court was good and we visited several times. Personally I don't think anyone there was thrilled to be working there but at least they weren't rude. They did their jobs and sent us on our way. We had beignets 3-4 times on the trip and each time they were made fresh. We also had breakfast and lunch on more than one occasion. The food was hot and tasted fine but it does seem like it takes a long time to prepare. The cast members don't seem like they try to get people in and out - they just give you your food when it's ready with no sense of urgency. We ate inside, outside and off the main dining hall - all locations were great.

We did go down and visit POR one time for our daughter to participate in the Pirate Adventure. It was nice to see the other resort and my daughter had a great time doing this. If you have a little one that's interested in doing this we can highly recommend it and actually feel like it was a bit of a deal. We did not participate in any other activities at POR or POFQ.

The gift shop staff was polite and easy to deal with. We had several packages delivered on different days of our stay and they were efficient in retrieving them and getting us in and out. Although not the largest gift shop, they had a good variety of things from food, hygiene products, souvenirs and my new personal favorite - Vinylmation.

So, I think that’s it. If you have any questions let me know. I’ll do my best to add some pictures soon.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #2255
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

Question 1st floor or 3rd floor ?

What floor is best to request not to hear noise ?

We will have a standard room booked at POFQ - we do not need a view of the pool.

I know the outside doors are very good in blocking the outside room - but how is the insulation between the floors.

I think a 1st floor room would be a great convience - but should we request a 3rd floor room to avoid noise from a room above us ?

Any building better than other buildings for a quiet nights sleep ?

do most families with children under 8 request the buildings near the pool ?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #2256
latexscooter
Be nice even if it takes some effort.

We just got back and were in building three. I've also stayed in buildings 4 and 5 in the past. To be honest, none of the times I've stayed have I had a problem with noise. My husband and I commented this past trip at how quiet it was even though we had a ground floor room. I don't know if its older construction so the walls were thicker or what the key is.

I think as long as you don'thave a pool view room it will be relatively quiet. What's interesting about POFQ is that because it's modeled like the French Quarter it has all these little "streets" running everywhere. What happens is that people tend to walk out of the rooms and go right into the streets when they go from place to place rather than walk down the exterior hallways to get places. I think that might be why you don't have the people traffic like you do at other resorts.

I think if you are a light sleeper and are concerned with the potential of hearing noise above you, making a third floor request isn't a bad idea. I think asking for a standard room will get you far enough away from the pool area that you should be safe from that sort of noise too.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #2257
disneyshakeygirl
DIS Veteran

I was at POFQ in building 3, in room 3202, from May 20 to June 1,and had no problem with any noise. I also found it very convenient location wise, as I found it was close to laundry, dining and transportation. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I got the occasional grumpy staff member and one extremely snappy one but otherwise, they were all brilliant.

My room was cleaned throughly everyday. No complaints about mouse keeping from me. The towels etc were replaced frequently. I had to use bell services for laundry, as I had a pile of laundry and reservations to get to, and they were also extremely professional and courteous every time.

I took the bus every day. The longest I had to wait was 15 minutes one morning, the shortest wait I had was about 10 seconds. Most mornings, I was waiting a maximum of three minutes. Sometimes, two buses for one park would pull up at the same time. Going straight from the hotel to the parks, the travel time was minimal. Roughly 8 to 15 minutes, including traffic lights (this is what happens when you travel by yourself - you time things! :D). With the stops to POR, about 25 - 29 minutes with traffic lights and turning wait times.

I enjoyed the food, but I have to agree with others that it seemed as if it did take sometime to prepare. Everything was hot when I received it and was flavourful. There was also many options for me to choose from, as I have severe food allergies. The chef came out to talk to me as well.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #2258
skipperkim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh2001 View Post
What floor is best to request not to hear noise ?

We will have a standard room booked at POFQ - we do not need a view of the pool.

I know the outside doors are very good in blocking the outside room - but how is the insulation between the floors.

I think a 1st floor room would be a great convience - but should we request a 3rd floor room to avoid noise from a room above us ?

Any building better than other buildings for a quiet nights sleep ?

do most families with children under 8 request the buildings near the pool ?
On my last stay there I was in building 3 on the 3rd floor near the fountain between buildings 1, 2 and 3. I always request top floor no matter what resort I'm at. That way I don't have to worry about noise overhead. I'm such a light sleeper. Building 4 is closest to the bus stop and food court. I was also in building 1 with a water view, but I wouldn't pay for that again. If you want to be near the pool but not have to worry about the noise, I'd choose the back side of building 2 or 5. My personal favorite would be 2 because I love the fountain at POFQ. It's also closer to the boat too.
May 2005 - Cont
Oct 2005 - POFQ
Sept 2006 - POFQ
Dec 2008 - CSR
Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #2259
srdipert
DIS Veteran

This was my first time staying at POFQ and we loved it!

We were in room 4225 which is right around the corner from the restaurant so that made it very convenient to refill our mugs. Very close to the parking and bus stop but still very tree covered so you don't feel like you are looking at the parking lot. It was also very close to the laundry and pool. I don't think we could have asked for a better location.

We did have to request a new fridge b/c ours wasn't working. So they came and changed it out and left the old one sitting in the middle of the floor and never came back to get it so we just sat it outside our door and finally someone took it away.

The only other things that I didn't like were it has the wall unit ac instead of the central AC like the newer hotels. And one night my child woke up in the middle of the night puking and we needed new sheets and towels. I called housekeeping and they said they would bring them up. I waited 30 mins and no one came and I was desperate for towels to clean him up b/c we had already used all the ones in the room. So I went to the front desk to just get some for myself and he said I would just have to wait for another hour before they could bring them. I told him how desperate we were for them and he said there was nothing he could do. So I just went and got a bunch of towels from the pool to make do until they brought them. They did come in about an hour.

But the grounds were beautiful and my boys loved the pool. We also used the pool at riverside and my oldest like the slide better there but often it was a longer wait. We drove a lot so I am not sure about the bus service but the few times we rode the bus it came pretty quickly.

Many Trip with parents offsite before 1998, CSR Honeymoon 1998, DTD Hilton 1999, 1st trip with DS1 ASMu 2004, AKL 2005 Our little souvinear DS2 concieved, CBR 2005 Grand Family Gathering, Nick Hotel 2006 1st trip with DS1 & DS2.May 2007 10 days at POP LOVED IT Free Dining 8 days POP Sept 2008! Baby's first trip May 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter...we have never stayed here before!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:54 AM   #2260
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkle View Post
Is it Sepember yet????? Lucky you, get to go first
Is it October yet? Darn, both of you get to go first...

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #2261
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdipert View Post
So I went to the front desk to just get some for myself and he said I would just have to wait for another hour before they could bring them. I told him how desperate we were for them and he said there was nothing he could do.
That's bad, and presumably not how Disney would want their front-desk night staff to behave! How hard would it have been for him to suggest you grab some towels from the pool area in the first place (or better still, offer to get a staff member to pop over and do it for you!). Or even just fetch you a bunch of those paper towels that they use in the lobby restrooms which were right next to him!

I do understand that housekeeping only have a skeleton staff on duty overnight, but even when they are busy with other guests there are always ways to help if you have the "Disney spirit".

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #2262
NewCrew42
One Day I'll be a Galactic Hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyshakeygirl View Post
I was at POFQ in building 3, in room 3202, from May 20 to June 1,and had no problem with any noise. I also found it very convenient location wise, as I found it was close to laundry, dining and transportation. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I got the occasional grumpy staff member and one extremely snappy one but otherwise, they were all brilliant.

My room was cleaned throughly everyday. No complaints about mouse keeping from me. The towels etc were replaced frequently. I had to use bell services for laundry, as I had a pile of laundry and reservations to get to, and they were also extremely professional and courteous every time.

I took the bus every day. The longest I had to wait was 15 minutes one morning, the shortest wait I had was about 10 seconds. Most mornings, I was waiting a maximum of three minutes. Sometimes, two buses for one park would pull up at the same time. Going straight from the hotel to the parks, the travel time was minimal. Roughly 8 to 15 minutes, including traffic lights (this is what happens when you travel by yourself - you time things! :D). With the stops to POR, about 25 - 29 minutes with traffic lights and turning wait times.

I enjoyed the food, but I have to agree with others that it seemed as if it did take sometime to prepare. Everything was hot when I received it and was flavourful. There was also many options for me to choose from, as I have severe food allergies. The chef came out to talk to me as well.
How often did the bus go to RS?

Thanks!

Oh, and thank you to everyone for your reviews!!!!

POFQ - June 2014, POFQ - June 2013, POFQ - July 2010, Pop Century - March 2009, Pop Century - April 2008, Pop Century - May 2007, Contemporary - May 2006, Grand Floridian - May 2005, Contemporary - May 2004, Contemporary - May 2003, Off-site - June 1992
Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #2263
summerlady
DIS Veteran

Thanks to everyone for the new reviews of POFQ....can't wait until November!

We really like building 3, ground floor. Loved 6, river view, but it was a bit longer to the main building, like....3 min. further.

~Polynesian 1986~Many day trips from Mom & Dad's~Port Orleans March 2000~POFQ April 2008~POFQ May 2009~POFQ November 2009~POFQ November 2010~POFQ October 2011~POR October 2012~POFQ September 2013~POFQ March 2014~POFQ September 2014~
Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #2264
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Loving these recent, detailed reviews! I'll be there in about 48 hours. I will let y'all know how it goes when I get back.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #2265
anorman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music City Mama View Post
Loving these recent, detailed reviews! I'll be there in about 48 hours. I will let y'all know how it goes when I get back.
I'm so jealous! I have to wait until August for my two week stay at POFQ .

I was wondering......I have seen it mentioned several times in recent posts, what is the advantage of online check-in? I am a little nutty with my requests and I am nervous that if I used online check-in, with it's limited request options, my room preferences would not be met. I do realize that even with resort check-in I am not guaranteed anything but what is the difference? Why do it? Why not?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: