Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #1621
SpiffyTigger
Earning My Ears

I am new to board and this is my first post. I am going to be staying at POFQ this December for my DisneyMoon!!

This is the first time for me to ever stay on property at the World and this is my 6th time to the World. The FI and I are really looking forward to our trip. I am learning so much more about Disney through this board. I hope to learn fun thinks about this hotel.

57 days To go...
Old 10-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #1622
summerlady
DIS Veteran

Welcome and happy upcoming Disney Moon! I hope you like POFQ as much as I do, we'll be staying there for the 4th time in 13 days!

~Polynesian 1986~Many day trips from Mom & Dad's~Port Orleans March 2000~POFQ April 2008~POFQ May 2009~POFQ November 2009~POFQ November 2010~POFQ October 2011~POR October 2012~POFQ September 2013~POFQ March 2014~POFQ September 2014~POFQ September 2015~
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #1623
I'mwithGrumpy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyTigger View Post
I am new to board and this is my first post. I am going to be staying at POFQ this December for my DisneyMoon!!

This is the first time for me to ever stay on property at the World and this is my 6th time to the World. The FI and I are really looking forward to our trip. I am learning so much more about Disney through this board. I hope to learn fun thinks about this hotel.

57 days To go...
Congratulations, and welcome! We love POFQ. I think you'll be very happy with this resort. I love strolling along the river or just sitting on a bench next to it and relaxing. Perfect small resort for a honeymoon.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #1624
jen42002
DIS Veteran

POFQ rooms were last renovated in 2001. It definitely could use a refurb in parts but the positive DEFINITELY outweighs the negative. I agree with the PP. I definitely felt comfortable hanging out myself (DH and kids crashed at 9:30 each evening) in the common areas or taking the boat to DTD. POR would have made me a bit more nervous due to the size. I also agree Elliott Dyson is a hoot. I hung out in the lobby by the fountain one night and really enjoyed hearing him (even though it was from afar).
Old 10-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #1625
nascarcheshirecat
Wicked Monkish!~

I too have booked POFQ. went over several times from POR in Feb, and loved the small town feel of the place.

the only problem????????????? 361 days until my next trip
Old 10-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #1626
waw1961
Earning My Ears

Okay, I've done it. I read all 109 pages of this thread and scoured Andre's website! I feel pretty well informed about this resort now. I did learn something important from an earlier post I read, the correct way to pronounce "beignets". This saved me the embarrasement of going to the food court and ordering the "big nets". So anyway, what am I supposed to do now ? We've got 96 days until we check-in at POFQ and it can't get here soon enough. We planned this trip for after MLK week and before Presidents day weekend to hopefully avoid the crowds. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's been during this time as to what we can expect as far as bus service and food court crowds. The food court seems to be fairly small, is it ever an issue finding seats ? We decided to try the QS dining plan this trip and I already feel less stressed without having to worry about ADR;s. Thanks to everyone for their posts and pics on this thread, it's been very helpful.
2000 Dixie Landings
2002 All Star Movies & Animal Kingdom Lodge
2004 Carribean Beach Resort
2006 Pop Century Resort
2007 Coronado Springs
2008 Ft. Wilderness Cabins
2010 Port Orleans FQ
Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #1627
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen42002 View Post
POFQ rooms were last renovated in 2001. It definitely could use a refurb in parts but the positive DEFINITELY outweighs the negative. I agree with the PP. I definitely felt comfortable hanging out myself (DH and kids crashed at 9:30 each evening) in the common areas or taking the boat to DTD. POR would have made me a bit more nervous due to the size. I also agree Elliott Dyson is a hoot. I hung out in the lobby by the fountain one night and really enjoyed hearing him (even though it was from afar).
It was a few yrs later than that - we stayed in the brand new renovated room in April/May 2005 - we asked the front desk and rooms were completed in 2004. Still had the new smell too!

Old 10-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #1628
amw
need a new tag

I've asked this on the cake thread too...

Has anyone successfully ordered a custom cake from the Boardwalk Bakery, and had it delivered to the POFQ bakery? I know they can't room-service it at the mods.

We're not planning on eating at GF or CR, so I'm just checking what my options are.

We're not going for awhile, but I was hoping to do a Mardi-Gras themed cake, or Princess & Frog for my daughters' birthdays.

WDW, March 2014 - POR
WDW, March 2013 - Swan
WDW, August 2012 - Beach Club Grand Gathering
DLR, August 2011 - Sheraton Anaheim
WDW, March 2011 - Marriott Sabal Palms
WDW, March 2010 - POFQ & Hilton Clearwater
WDW, Feb 2009 - Poly - a Disney pin sucked me in!
WDW, April 2008 - Bonnet Creek Resort
DLR, March 2007 - Hyatt - First trip ever to DL!
WDW, Sept 2005 - Cypress Pointe
WDW, Nov 2003 - HIFS - First trip with my princesses!
WDW, Nov 1998 - Grosvenor
WDW, Aug 1980 - Fort Wilderness
WDW, Aug 1974 - Fort Wilderness - Toddling my way through MK!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #1629
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

Food Court Questions

We will be at POFQ in January from the 26th to the 2nd of February!

Our family are huge water drinkers. Last year I ordered 2 cases of water from Garden Grocer along with a few other things. This year I am trying to avoid too much extra costs. Last year at WL I was also able to purchase a large, maybe a gallon, size jug of water in the gift shop. Can anybody tell me if there is anywhere at POFQ or POR where I would be able to buy a large quantity of water.

We are also not opposed to drinking the tap water if it tastes all right. The water at WL was fine. The park tap water (not CS, the outdoor taps) was disgusting. We plan to bring or buy a couple of water bottles and refill them as necessary. The other reason for not wanting to purchase cases of water is all the bottles.

The other question I had is about yogurt. I need to eat yogurt every day. I am aware that I can get a yogurt parfait for a snack credit in the food court but don't want to use all my snack creidts for these. Does the food courts at either POFQ or POR sell individual servings of yogurt? How much for one?

Should I just go ahead and order all this stuff from GG and save myself the trouble?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #1630
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Disney Girl View Post
We will be at POFQ in January from the 26th to the 2nd of February!

Our family are huge water drinkers. Last year I ordered 2 cases of water from Garden Grocer along with a few other things. This year I am trying to avoid too much extra costs. Last year at WL I was also able to purchase a large, maybe a gallon, size jug of water in the gift shop. Can anybody tell me if there is anywhere at POFQ or POR where I would be able to buy a large quantity of water.

The other question I had is about yogurt. I need to eat yogurt every day. I am aware that I can get a yogurt parfait for a snack credit in the food court but don't want to use all my snack creidts for these. Does the food courts at either POFQ or POR sell individual servings of yogurt? How much for one?
I just got back from POFQ yesterday. I don't remember seeing large bottles of water at the food court. They did have your typical bottled water (Dasani, Smart Water). I also have to eat yogurt every day. The food courts do have 6 oz serving sizes of Yoplait (only flavor I could find was mixed berry) at $2.00 per cup! I spent alot of $ on yogurt.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #1631
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw View Post
I was hoping to do a Mardi-Gras themed cake, or Princess & Frog for my daughters' birthdays.
Goodings is a local supermarket (www.goodings.com). They offer delivery. They have an in-house bakery (just like many supermarkets) and they specialize in custom-made cakes. There is a $50 minimum grocery order for delivery, so it'll be perfect if you need some other grocery items, as well.

They deliver to Bell Services, and then Bell Services calls you to see if you're in. If not, they store your order and even keep the cold stuff cold, and when you call them (they'll leave a message) they'll deliver your stuff right to your room.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #1632
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

I have a question about buildings/rooms at POFQ--what buildings are close to the parking lots? I really can't tell on the map, that I would prefer to be in a building closer to the parking lots, so I think that I could request a choice of 2-3 of them.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #1633
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
I have a question about buildings/rooms at POFQ--what buildings are close to the parking lots?
All except for 2 and 5 (and some parts of 6) are very close for the parking lots. That said, even the furthest section is only a couple of minutes' walk away though - POFQ really is not a large resort. See the map in the first post of this thread.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #1634
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
All except for 2 and 5 (and some parts of 6) are very close for the parking lots. That said, even the furthest section is only a couple of minutes' walk away though - POFQ really is not a large resort. See the map in the first post of this thread.

Andre
Probably a better question would be which ones face the parking lots? I always make a request for a building and room facing a parking lot. Not many make that request, but I feel better when I can look out the window and see my car. It looks to me maybe buildings 1, 3, and 7? 4 maybe, but it seems that there is a courtyard on the map?

Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #1635
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
I have a question about buildings/rooms at POFQ--what buildings are close to the parking lots? I really can't tell on the map, that I would prefer to be in a building closer to the parking lots, so I think that I could request a choice of 2-3 of them.
My very very strong advice is to NOT request a specific building. Instead, it'll be MUCH more effective to request "near parking lot."

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: