Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #1576
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMB View Post
Just wanted to thank Andre for the thread and great website.
You're very welcome, looking forward to seeing your trip report when you get back. Maybe you could help me out in return by copying the resort-oriented bits over onto the www.portorleans.org trip reports page too? Thanks.

Oh, and could anyone who's been to POR or POFQ earlier this year help answer a quick question for me?

When did the resorts switch from issuing the "Sassagoula Times" four-page letter-sized information handout at check-in to the new fold-up glossy leaflet which they now stick into a small wallet with your keycard?

I know the Sassagoula Times version was still being issued back in Jan/Feb, but it had been replaced by mid-August. Could any recent visitors let me know a) what date they checked in and b) which version they were given?

Thanks all,

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #1577
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
You're very welcome, looking forward to seeing your trip report when you get back. Maybe you could help me out in return by copying the resort-oriented bits over onto the www.portorleans.org trip reports page too? Thanks.

Oh, and could anyone who's been to POR or POFQ earlier this year help answer a quick question for me?

When did the resorts switch from issuing the "Sassagoula Times" four-page letter-sized information handout at check-in to the new fold-up glossy leaflet which they now stick into a small wallet with your keycard?

I know the Sassagoula Times version was still being issued back in Jan/Feb, but it had been replaced by mid-August. Could any recent visitors let me know a) what date they checked in and b) which version they were given?

Thanks all,

Andre
Andre we checked in on May 22nd & we still got the Sassagoula Times handout. So the end of May they were still handing out the Times. I had not heard about this new glossy leaflet.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #1578
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

We were there in April and now that I think about it, we didn't get a ST at all.

Quote:

Thanks all,

Andre
Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #1579
wifey
DIS Veteran

Wink Just to update you!!

We also got the new pack with all of the leaflets and things in no copy of the ST.

While we were there during our second week the grounds were experiencing some maintenance work. All of the shrubs and plants were being removed and replaced and we did see some trees being felled too and chopped up and removed. Sometimes this did cause a mess on the walkways but not for long as some guests with ECVs would not have been able to get by if it had been left. Luckily Vila and Sons who were doing the work picked up all the bits and cleaned the paths after themselves. I don't know if this is a major change for the resort ... I hope not it was beautiful as it was but I guess the plants need changing from season to season.

Also the signs around the resort were being repainted as were the lamp posts and the restrooms next to the pool were having repairs on the doors. The Restrooms behind the Games Arcade were also undergoing a refurbishment and being painted I couldn't help noticing how noisy those restrooms were when the arcade was open all the games machines made the walls and the floor rumble and shakeEven the tiles on the wall had cracked. They were the oldest most tired looking restrooms we saw during our entire stay so I'm so glad they are doing something with them they still had overhead water tanks and a pull chain so very old fashioned compared to the lovely ones near the Disney Cruise Liner check-in desk on the other side of the lobby.

Food Report 2009 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2204927

Trip Report 2009 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2286975

Trip Report 2007 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1508500[img]

June 1998 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2000 AS Music Jazz 2510, September 2002 SpringHill Suites MV, February 2004 AS Movies Purdey 4960, June 2005 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2005 Sequoia Lodge DLRP Last trip 21st June 2007 AS Movies,September 2009 First time at Port Orleans French Quarter,Next trip Yacht club (club level)August 2013
Me DH NielDS Ethan
Old 10-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #1580
ScrappinGran
Mouseketeer

Hi everybody! We were @ POFQ Sept. 18-27th. Our 3rd visit in 4 years, this time just DH and I . We love POFQ and were not dissapointed this time. For the first time we paid for a king size bed, and loved it. Our room locoation was great, building 5, second floor corner room, close to the food court "back" door. Hot tub directly across from our room, pool a few steps away from there. We rented a car for this first time while there, and enjoyed not having to wait in bus lines, but that said...we never have had bus issues @ POFQ. really!
We rented a car because we wanted to explore other resorts, and had many dinner ressies at other resorts, and that's the one thing we don't enjoy about the bus system. There is no easy way to get from resort to resort using the bus system.
The food court was great as usual. I wish I had one of the breakfast croissants and a cinnamon roll right now. I just wish they had better iced tea. A little weak for me.
And can you believe it, in 3 trips there, we had never sat down and watched
Elliot Dyson. Well that was rectified this trip and we are now HUGE fans. His talent and show is AMAZING. DO NOT MISS HIM!
We also had a very funny boat driver, I think is name is Jason. He made our trip(s) to DD very enjoyable.
Our only downside was housekeeping. Nothing really big, just little annoyances. We had towel Mickey head on our bed upon arrival, but that was the only one we got, but that's ok, no kids with us this trip. Our packets of coffee were not replaced every day. And on one day the used coffee filter with grounds was left on top of the fridge,eew. My DH broke the shower knob on the faucet, and while it was replaced quickly when we were out of the room, the old faucet wrapped in bubble wrap was left on one of the sinks.
Dusting was lax, too...especially around the tv. As I said, these occurances were minor, nothing to ruin our stay there.
The pool and hot tub were super! It was SOOO hot while we were there, the pool was just what we needed after a hot morning @ the parks. And my DH actually used the hot tub twice! I use it all the time, and enjoy it very much. This year with the tub being right across from our room was AWESOME for me.
We are going to miss POFQ very much- { especially the boat ride to DD }, as we are proud new owners @ Bay Lake Tower! But I guarantee that someday we'll stay they again, and we will definetely be back each trip to see Elliot Dyson!

oh, and Andre...thanks again for this wonderful thread.{ And I miss the Sassagoula little paper, hate the new little folded thing. Luckily I saved one from past trips. } Keep up the good work on this thread. I learned so much from you and other Dis'ers here, all of which made me informed and able to plan great vacation stays.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #1581
Goin2Disney2006
Mouseketeer

I can't wait for our trip in December

Questions: 1) are the corner rooms bigger/roomier?? I will have my husband and my 2 girls and one of them will be sleeping in a pack n play and will also have our double stroller with us too.

2) does Disney provide bed rails? I will be sleeping with my older daughter and she needs a rail on the side of the bed (that I am not on).

Any suggestions on room locations.

Thank you!!!

May 2014 POFQ

December 2009 - POFQ Very Merry Christmas Party
2006 POR (NSSHP)
Old 10-05-2009, 02:39 AM   #1582
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Corner rooms are the same size as all the others, they just have an extra window [most do, anyway]. You may want to store your stroller in the curtained-off washroom area?

Bed rails are available on request as far as I'm aware.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 10-05-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:57 AM   #1583
wifey
DIS Veteran

Wink

Our corner room only had one window so they don't all have two our room location was great though.. we had room 3208 which was very close to the elevators or stairs and the vending machines and had a garden view so we could see the area between buildings 2 and three which was very pretty and we did see rabbits and ducks and squirrels too.
We were literally a 3 minute walk from the elevator/stairs to the food court or the pool or laundry room or pool bar and only four minutes from the lobby or bus stations a great location . There was plenty of room in the area next to the safe to store a pack and play crib or a stroller and a suit case if you wish to do so. There was the possibility of moving the seat under the coat rack if you wanted to to place things there too you could swap the seat to somewhere else like beside the internal door perhaps.
I did notice baby changing facilities in the restrooms next to the pool and at the ones near the Disney Cruise Line check-in desk but never got to check the ones behind the food court.
You can ask for the bottles et cetera to be sterilised too just ask when you check in the Bakery section of the food court will do this we saw them doing quite a few during our stay, personally it's the only hotel we have seen that has done this for guests on any of our onsite stays.

Food Report 2009 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2204927

Trip Report 2009 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2286975

Trip Report 2007 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1508500[img]

June 1998 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2000 AS Music Jazz 2510, September 2002 SpringHill Suites MV, February 2004 AS Movies Purdey 4960, June 2005 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2005 Sequoia Lodge DLRP Last trip 21st June 2007 AS Movies,September 2009 First time at Port Orleans French Quarter,Next trip Yacht club (club level)August 2013
Me DH NielDS Ethan
Old 10-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #1584
TillyDe
Mouseketeer

I went to our local AAA and booked our trip for June 13 - 18. I can not wait. It will be me and my daughter (age 30). We have been to the world multiple times, but never stayed on property. This is a dream trip for me.

Question concerning Boatwright's. We hope to eat here on our day of arrival. But due to driving, we are not sure what time we will get there. So, do you have to have an ADR or can we chance it?

Thanks for all of the information provided here.

Debbie
Old 10-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #1585
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyDe View Post
Question concerning Boatwright's. We hope to eat here on our day of arrival. But due to driving, we are not sure what time we will get there. So, do you have to have an ADR or can we chance it?
Certainly Boatwrights is not going to be as busy as a park restaurant or somewhere like Chef Mickeys, so you do stand a good chance of getting a walk-up with half an hour or so. However in June, I'd still suggest making an ADR for sometime around the time that you except to be free. Even if you're a bit late or early, they will probably still be able to help you and of course you've lost nothing if you don't make it.

Hope you both have a great trip!

Andre

Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #1586
TillyDe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Certainly Boatwrights is not going to be as busy as a park restaurant or somewhere like Chef Mickeys, so you do stand a good chance of getting a walk-up with half an hour or so. However in June, I'd still suggest making an ADR for sometime around the time that you except to be free. Even if you're a bit late or early, they will probably still be able to help you and of course you've lost nothing if you don't make it.

Hope you both have a great trip!

Andre
Thank you for your reply and also a huge thank you for all that you do.

Debbie
Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #1587
waw1961
Earning My Ears

Andre, thanks for this thread. I just found it. We originally had reservations for the ASMU family suites for 1-31-10 to 2-9-10 and had read up on the resort to get ready for our trip. Then the 4/3 deal came out so we changed from ASMU to two connecting rooms(hopefully they'll be connecting) at POFQ. Now we're trying to research POFQ as much as possible since this will be our first time at this resort. So far I've read lots of good reports, I hope it lives up to it's reputation. We've stayed at every mod except POFQ and have been pretty well pleased with them so we're looking forward to this one. Anyway, I think I'll start at the beginning of the thread and get as much info as I can. Thanks again.
2000 Dixie Landings
2002 All Star Movies & Animal Kingdom Lodge
2004 Carribean Beach Resort
2006 Pop Century Resort
2007 Coronado Springs
2008 Ft. Wilderness Cabins
2010 Port Orleans FQ
Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #1588
kydisneymom
Mouseketeer

We just got back Friday from our stay at POFQ and had a magical time! We took the Magical Express from the airport which was wonderful. I had requested Building 5 and that is the one we got. It was so close to the pool and the food court not to mention the bus stops. This is one of the smaller resorts, so really there isn't a bad spot, just some buildings are a little more convenient. Mousekeeping was excellent and the rooms were nice and comfortable.

We ate at the Food Court several times. It's nothing to write home about, but it was fine for what it was. The breakfast offerings were better than dinner. We had one glitch in our dining reservations so we tried to get into Boatwrights twice and we couldn't, so if that is even a thought, go ahead and make the ADR.

Overall we were thrilled with our stay at POFQ and would definitely stay here again.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #1589
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydisneymom View Post
We just got back Friday from our stay at POFQ and had a magical time! We took the Magical Express from the airport which was wonderful. I had requested Building 5 and that is the one we got. It was so close to the pool and the food court not to mention the bus stops. This is one of the smaller resorts, so really there isn't a bad spot, just some buildings are a little more convenient. Mousekeeping was excellent and the rooms were nice and comfortable.
Thanks for your report! I'll be checking in at POFQ this Saturday. Just wondering what your experiences were with the buses to the theme parks/water parks.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #1590
stationeryguru
Earning My Ears

Can you get a roll away bed here for a 5ft 8 teenager?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: