Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
Latte Lover
in charge of the credit cards and plotting quickest routes to the shopping malls

T & T do the triple – day 10 (Islands of Adventure and Blue Man Group)

We are:

Tony, (DH – Tony64) age 44 - in charge of driving, collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast, running to get fast passes and generally stressing. This is his ninth trip.

Theresa (me), age 43 - in charge of the credit cards and plotting quickest routes to the shopping malls. This is my tenth trip.

Maddie (DD), age 19 - jointly in charge of where we eat, shop and play this trip. This is her seventh trip.

Callum (DS) age 18 - in charge of himself. This is his seventh trip.

Monday 1st September 2008 (Labor Day)

An early start again today. We left at 7.50am and reached the gates of Islands of Adventure by 8.30. We went straight to Spiderman, then did The Hulk twice (once with Tony, once with Maddie (first time ever for her and she kept her eyes shut the whole time!).
Maddie and I are in the third row from the front on the right.

We did all the kiddie rides in Seuss Landing then wandered round to The Lost Continent with the intention of riding Duelling Dragons, but it was closed today. In fact, there was a CM stopping people from going through to that part of the park. We also discovered The Flying Unicorn had gone completely and the bridge going across to Jurassic Park had moved to accommodate the new Harry Potter Land which is being built.

To get over our disappointment, Maddie, Tony and I went on Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls which I hadn’t done since 1999 (flume rides being the only rides I’m not so keen on). It was actually quite good fun, but we had completely forgotten how wet you get on this ride; we were totally soaked before we had even got to the big drop!

We had lunch at one of our favourite Orlando restaurants – Mythos.
I had Chicken a la Oscar, which was Chicken breast with a crab cake, mashed potatoes, asparagus and a peanutty sauce. Yum!

Tony had the filet steak with mushroom mashed potatoes and onion straws.

Maddie had pizza and fries.

Callum just had milkshakes.

For dessert, Tony and I both had the chocolate banana caramel cake thing which is totally delicious.

Of course, we had to have coffees afterwards though Tony managed to restrain himself and instead of asking for a coffee they've never heard of, just ordered a cappuccino.

After Islands, we walked around to the box office for The Blue Man Group and booked our tickets for the evening performance. In the park, we were told the tickets were $78 each, and when we enquired about possible discounts for annual passholders or students, were told that there wasn’t any. We were pretty sure there would be though, so asked at the box office. There were two types of discount available – one for annual passholders and a very substantial one for students (with student ID card). One student ID card can buy two tickets. The discounts were only available if you bought the tickets on the day of the performance and only from the box office. The total cost was just $127 for the four of us, so we were very glad we didn’t part with $312 in the park!

We left Citywalk around 2 ish and went to Joann’s craft store as there was a sale for Labor Day. Maddie and I bought a big stack of card, lots of scrapbooking papers and kits and a book, using a 10% off voucher (we love vouchers!). Cal bought another piece of plywood for his artwork. He has been doing little pieces of cartoon artwork all week and leaving them around the parks. They all have his e-mail address on the back and he wants to see if anyone contacts him! Today, he did some “Happy Labor Day” ones!

We drove back to the condo for a swim and a rest then heated up a few left-over bits and pieces (chicken, texas toast etc) for an early dinner, before heading back to Universal to see The Blue Man Group.

The show was very good. It was funny and entertaining and the time just flew by. Who could guess that tissue could be so much fun?

We weren’t allowed to take photos during the performance, but we could take them afterwards.

Here’s Cal with a Blue Man. (Taken with a fish-eye camera).

Cal, especially, really enjoyed the show and bought some light-up drumsticks in the shop afterwards.

We were going to have something to eat at Margaritaville in Citywalk but they had stopped serving for the evening, as had all the other restaurants in Citywalk. The bars were still open, of course, but I can't drink without food!

Tony took a few photos around Citywalk as this was the first time we had been there in the dark.

We drove home and went straight to bed, without even watching an episode of “House”!

1975 Royal Plaza 1997 Master's Inn Kissimee 1999 Clarion Universal 2001 Howard Johnson Maingate East 2003 Econolodge 2005 Howard Johnson Maingate West 2006 Our Timeshare at Sheraton Vistana Resort 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 Sheraton Vistana(May), Terrace Ridge (Aug)Nov 2009 Barefoot'n' in the keys, Kissimmee2010 Cumbrian LakesOct 2011 Sheraton & Disney MagicNov 2012 Florida Keys, The Sheraton, and OKW
Latte Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Great photos im going to try the hulk in october 09

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Great day.Great pics-did anyone contact Cal?.Food at Mythos always looks so goodx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalielongstaff View Post
Great photos im going to try the hulk in october 09
You're brave-rather you than me .x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando,Hard Rock Hotel+CSR With Free QSDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

Tony's getting the hang of this photography lark!

Pleased to hear that you tenacity paid off on the discounts. What a result!

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Great discount on the tickets - I love the BMG!

sounds like you did well in Joann's. Where did you get your vouchers from?

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - EBTA, Sept 2014 - WBTA
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

fab day and a great discount on those tickets.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Another great day Theresa. You did really well getting the discounts for the BMG

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

a truly good day at unniversal.

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

What a great day full of fun. It certainly paid off to ask about those discounts! That saved nearly $200--to spend at the craft store. I LOVE Cal's idea about leaving his e-mail address around the park on interesting bits of paper (interesting because of his drawings)--kind of a modern day version of a message in a bottle. Though it would be a random thing, the person noticing his message would likely be someone sympatico since they're in a theme park, too. What a fun idea. I'm going to think how I can do something like that. [I'm copying your idea, Callum.] Too tired for House?! That might be too tired. Tony's pictures are perfect illustrations for your report.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
Latte Lover
in charge of the credit cards and plotting quickest routes to the shopping malls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanEllen View Post
It certainly paid off to ask about those discounts! That saved nearly $200--to spend at the craft store.
Absolutely, Susan! Maddie and I had a great time spending what we saved.

Unfortunately, no-one has contacted Cal. Maybe both Universal and Disney are just too efficient in tidying up. He's had good results when he's done it back here in the UK though.

1975 Royal Plaza 1997 Master's Inn Kissimee 1999 Clarion Universal 2001 Howard Johnson Maingate East 2003 Econolodge 2005 Howard Johnson Maingate West 2006 Our Timeshare at Sheraton Vistana Resort 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 Sheraton Vistana(May), Terrace Ridge (Aug)Nov 2009 Barefoot'n' in the keys, Kissimmee2010 Cumbrian LakesOct 2011 Sheraton & Disney MagicNov 2012 Florida Keys, The Sheraton, and OKW
Old 10-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Latte Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky166 View Post
Great discount on the tickets - I love the BMG!

sounds like you did well in Joann's. Where did you get your vouchers from?
I got the vouchers for Joanns by subscribing to their e-mail service. Sometimes you can pick them up by the tills in-store too.

I'll PM you with a list of all the craft stores we visit.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #12
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

great day,Hope to see BMG this year

[/IMG]

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #13
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Fab day with some great discounts!
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #14
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??