Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #91
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Nine years....Nine Years...you mean I have to go through 3 more years of this before we might enjoy a sit down dinner together!! OY!!!! At least there is hope LOL!!

I hope he is feeling better now!! I'm still trying to get over this cold and its kicking my tail. It has decided to move from the head to my lungs!! YAY!!
It's hard to tell when he gets better, because he still acts the same. He goes to class, work, overnight FTXs... the only way I know he's sick is he'll call or text and say "I got sick this morning" which means he threw up.
When I'm sick I just take a day off, even if I have to wait until a weekend before I can get my "day off" I take it.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Old 10-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #92
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Episode 7

Once again a huge thank you to my editor!!! You are the best

Episode 7: “The When Is Solved, Now To The Where, How, and What.”

Hi Guys!! Hope you are all having a great week so far! I’m suffering from a terrible head cold that seems to target just half my head at a time LOL!! I was just telling Soleil (BellaSoleil) about the shirt I wore last Friday that gives a very clear warning to my students about how I am feeling. I got my shirt when I visited the Oz Museum back home in Kansas and it states “Don’t make me break out the flying monkeys!” It’s a hoot!! Anyway, the kids love it and say, “Not feeling well today Ms. O?” I just give them a look, blow my nose, use Germ-X and then send them on their way to take their tests LOL!! Don’t worry…I’m on antibiotics so I’ve been cleared to come to work today. Warm wishes to all of you!!

So the last time we talked we discussed dates. I had finally settled on January 15th thru January 21st. Believe it or not I was actually not feeling guilty about leaving my hubby or my students for an extra day!! NDH just sort of shook his head when I told him I was extending my trip by a day, and he gave that look that said, “You know you’re completely insane over this, right?” Well of course I am, it’s Disney, my happy place!!

Once the dates were settled I had to decide where to stay. First of all, I knew from the beginning I would be staying on site. I stayed off site one time when I was little and to me it wasn’t a big deal then, however, on my last two trips we stayed on-site and I truly believe that’s the way to go. Also with this being a solo trip I don’t want to be venturing very far from the World, so Disney World resorts it would be. But which one? I had a good budget to work with, but the question was how much I really wanted to spend on accommodations. I had been to WDW twice before, once as a military wife, therefore we stayed at Shades of Green. The second time we stayed at Pop Century. Being a Florida resident I knew there was a chance I would be able to get a discount, so I went to that part of the Disney site first. I soon found out that codes don’t come out until October for those of us who are going in January. (Let me tell you this waiting for codes is driving me nuts! I want a code!! LOL) I spent the next hour just playing around with room only rates. I saw how much deluxes were…OMGosh…no way I could afford that. Moderates seemed like a lot of fun, but still a bit pricey and I really wanted to do some shopping since I would have the time to actually stop in and see the stores. So, after comparing prices, I decided to go back to a tried-and-true resort, Pop Century. The last time we went I loved the themes, the staff was friendly, and most importantly, I had a clean room and bed for me to lay my head on at night. So it was settled. I called Disney and I booked a standard room at their Pop Century resort. Now I’m just patiently (*ahem*) waiting for that code which I will hopefully be able to apply to a few nights while I’m staying there.

Dates…Check!! Hotel…Check!! How to get there?? Well I could fly, really I could? I could use my airline miles and fly to Orlando? This was the exact thought process in my head and I as calmly as possible tried to convince the rest of me that I could fly to my happy place. I mean Disney is worth the terror of flying…right??? Umm nope!! The sweaty palms, the hyperventilating, and extreme anxiety that comes with flying was just not worth it to me. So I happily closed the browser window on Alaska Airlines and opened another window to Enterprise!! The first rate I got was shocking ($235.00) for an economy for a week. However this was the cheapest I could find even with my teacher’s discount at Alamo and other coupons. So I decided it was worth the expense to my budget, even with the high price of gas, and I booked a rental car. I’m going to pick it up Wednesday evening after church and pack it up and as soon as the bell rings to end school on January 15th I’m hitting the road! It’s only a seven hour drive from Pensacola to Orlando, which is the equivalent of listening to each of my Disney Classics CDs twice… so I’m all good!!!

I was still a bit bummed about my rental car price so I decided to keep checking and then on Wed. October 8, 2008, pixie dust was sprinkled on me. As I was checking email at school I decided to go over to Enterprise and retry my dates. My mother had surprised me on her visit and had purchased me the Entertainment book for Orlando so I knew I would be able to get at least 5% off my car rental. I entered the dates and I entered my coupon and then pressed the continue button…and the BAM!! $186.40!! I literally think my eyes bugged out of my head! I quickly modified my reservation and got the new total I had saved (40.00) and trust me that savings would be used later! We’ll get to that I promise!! I must also say that with the price of gas dropping my projected budget is bound to drop and that can only mean good things for me!!!

The other thing about the rental car that sealed it for me was the freedom to get around the parks. For the most part I plan on relying on WDW transportation, but some mornings when I have an early ADR I’m going to drive myself there and drive myself back home! That is one perk to having a rental car with me.

Dates...Yup Yup!! Hotel...Yup Yup!! Transportation…Yup Yup!! Only one thing left…tickets!! Another perk to being a Florida resident is that I can get Florida rate tickets. When I first bought my tickets I was only going for 4 days…so I bought the 4 day to Play pass!! Now I’m going to have to upgrade a couple of days, but it will be worth it!! I’m so excited!! Of course I had to call twice to make sure I understood the upgrade policy, but now that I’m sure I have it all figured out I’m ready to go...well almost LOL!!

So all the major areas have been covered, now to begin planning the actual trip!! Stayed tunes folks, exciting things are happening, many changes are bound to occur, and I get to pick my restaurants YAY!!!! Solo dining has never been an issue and it certainly won’t stop me at WDW.

Next time: Episode 8: “Making ADRs For Food And An Extra Special Treat!”

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)

Last edited by jenjolt; 10-15-2008 at 11:35 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #93
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

I'm anxiously awaiting the codes too...
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Old 10-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #94
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Don't the codes make you batty? I swear, we're going the ONLY week in December this year that doesn't have a code that will apply, doesn't offer free dining.....oh well, I'm still going to WDW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great installment!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #95
mickimousemama
Mouseketeer

I only read your intro and I HAVE to keep tabs on you, I read about you... let me tell you about me...

Micki is my name, really it is, and yes I am the disney freak of the household, (how could I not be with a name like Micki?) I celebrate my 30th shhhhhhhhh birthday on Thursday,

My NDH (just like yours), Dan, will be off Goose hunting on my birthday, infact... we are from MN, and this weekend is always a long weekend, kids have it off for MEA(Minnesota Eduation Association?) I could be wrong on what it stands for but regardless the kids always have it off, wouldn't it be a PERFECT time for a FAMILY vacation? of course not LOL I did win ONE battle tho, I MADE him marry me... ok I didnt MAKE him, but we got married during Deer season... oh the comments from his hunting buddies, 11/11 is a VERY special number to us, and that was when we chose to get married, People don't realize how clever I was, yes I will probably ALWAYS spend it... alone LOL BUT He will NEVER forget it.... right?

Anywho, I am really excited to read about your trip report... off to check it out now!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #96
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickimousemama View Post
I only read your intro and I HAVE to keep tabs on you, I read about you... let me tell you about me...

Micki is my name, really it is, and yes I am the disney freak of the household, (how could I not be with a name like Micki?) I celebrate my 30th shhhhhhhhh birthday on Thursday,

My NDH (just like yours), Dan, will be off Goose hunting on my birthday, infact... we are from MN, and this weekend is always a long weekend, kids have it off for MEA(Minnesota Eduation Association?) I could be wrong on what it stands for but regardless the kids always have it off, wouldn't it be a PERFECT time for a FAMILY vacation? of course not LOL I did win ONE battle tho, I MADE him marry me... ok I didnt MAKE him, but we got married during Deer season... oh the comments from his hunting buddies, 11/11 is a VERY special number to us, and that was when we chose to get married, People don't realize how clever I was, yes I will probably ALWAYS spend it... alone LOL BUT He will NEVER forget it.... right?

Anywho, I am really excited to read about your trip report... off to check it out now!!!
Men and their hunting!! It is so funny how intuned they are to that!! The other night my hubby and I were at church and he saw some maps and immediately knew they were hunting maps..it was like his radar went off and he beelined it over there and now is part of a couple of our guys at church's deer hunting trip LOL

So glad you decided to drop in!! Happy Reading!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
Old 10-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #97
rockonthemoon
Mouseketeer

The codes are killing me too... any day now...
Old 10-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #98
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

Hey Jen! Great Chapter! See it's not so hard to tell about your planning process, is it? You're doing a great job! Hey, you must have a fabulously talented editor! (Hi Trixie! )
Old 10-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #99
glo
"Has a heart bigger then all of Cuba" :)

LOL...as I read your report I die laughing over here! I have everything set for Jan. Sub, lesson plans...I teach computers so it is easy to leave stuff for a sub. Bundle activities for K1-2 together and 3-5 together YAY I lucked out and am staying at the BWV the first 4 nights and then the Dolphin for 2 nights. Jen do you know that the Swan and Dolphin offer teachers a lower rate? It might be sold out for your days, but it is a great rate when you can get it, and you stay at a Deluxe right between the HS and Epcot. You can walk to both!!! I love the Epcot resorts and stay there often!

Thank goodness I do not have a hunting husband,,,he is just a geek...lol

I am thrilled about the Photopass. I am hoping that I can find other ways to save some money down there! We rented a car too, and I used Priceline and got a midsize at $25 a day! I am thrilled!

(me) (DH) (DD23) (DD17) (DD17)
Old 10-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #100
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo View Post
LOL...as I read your report I die laughing over here! I have everything set for Jan. Sub, lesson plans...I teach computers so it is easy to leave stuff for a sub. Bundle activities for K1-2 together and 3-5 together YAY I lucked out and am staying at the BWV the first 4 nights and then the Dolphin for 2 nights. Jen do you know that the Swan and Dolphin offer teachers a lower rate? It might be sold out for your days, but it is a great rate when you can get it, and you stay at a Deluxe right between the HS and Epcot. You can walk to both!!! I love the Epcot resorts and stay there often!

Thank goodness I do not have a hunting husband,,,he is just a geek...lol

I am thrilled about the Photopass. I am hoping that I can find other ways to save some money down there! We rented a car too, and I used Priceline and got a midsize at $25 a day! I am thrilled!
I know I'm so excited about the Photopass...going to be a great time for all of us!! Glad you enjoyed this episode..and congrats on such a great rental car deal..Now a few questions for you..

So the Swan and Dolphin are considered actual Disney Resorts????? I might have to call and see what the rate is compared to what I have now and see if I can find it in my budget. Can't hurt to try!!

After you do the math for 7 days I'm paying about $26.00/day which I'm also very excited about YAY!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #101
trixiequilts
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Disney Girl View Post
Hey Jen! Great Chapter! See it's not so hard to tell about your planning process, is it? You're doing a great job! Hey, you must have a fabulously talented editor! (Hi Trixie! )
Aw, shucks... thanks!

My Trips: January 2009, October 2010, August 2011, February 2012, December 2012, November 2013, May 2014.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #102
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixiequilts View Post
Aw, shucks... thanks!
You really are the best!! THANK YOU!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #103
glo
"Has a heart bigger then all of Cuba" :)

Nope the Swan and Dolphin are "NOT" Disney owned resort. They are considered Deluxe resorts if you call Disney and book those through them though. The BIG difference is that you do not get Mickey soaps, and wake up calls, and you can't charge back to the rooms. You can also have all your packages sent back to your hotel like Disney resorts. You do get the EMH and you have full use of Disney transportation. So, Disney busses go to the Swan and Dolphin (They often share busses with the Boardwalk and Beach Club). The nice thing is that for $149 sometimes you can get a 4* hotel that you can walk to Epcot and HS. Wake up and get something to eat at the Boardwalk Bakery, have night time entertainment at the Boardwalk and the Swan, and pay a fraction of the cost! I have been staying there since 2000 because of the teacher discount. I know that LotusPhere is at the Swan and Dolphin the weekend we are there, so I know they are pretty booked up. The thing is for convinience and location you can't beat the cost. I am staying at the BWV because my friend owns DVC otherwise that would be so way out of my price range on my salary and with three kids!

(me) (DH) (DD23) (DD17) (DD17)
Old 10-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #104
BellaSoleil
Mommy of Belle~ Wife of Goofy

Woo-hoo! You gave me a shout-out!

I'm having a blast reading your PTR!!! You should consider the Swan. It's very beautiful and you would feel like royalty. Just a thought!

Current PTR: For The First Time In Forever ~ An OCT PTR
Old 10-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #105
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Disney Girl View Post
Awww thanks for always giving an encouraging word Kim!! It really means a lot to me!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSoleil View Post
Woo-hoo! You gave me a shout-out!

I'm having a blast reading your PTR!!! You should consider the Swan. It's very beautiful and you would feel like royalty. Just a thought!
Of course I gave you a shout out..you are too awesome for words!!!
I will definitely have to consider that, I'm still patiently (does it count if I'm obsessively refreshing the mousesavers site) for those codes LOL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: