Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 AM   #1
catrinuk
disney mad girl
 
catrinuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: up a mountain in wales uk
Posts: 138

free dining and dvc

i know that i cant get free dining through dvc - but - just want to know if i am missing out on any way to get around this and if anyone has had free dining whilst using dvc points
catrinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then
 
Claire L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Too far from the Magic in Eastbourne, England
Posts: 10,795

The only way to get free dining is to pay rack rate for a room, and even then I think the dining package is based on the grade of hotel ie value, mod or deluxe.

Claire
__________________
x Claire x
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator
 
Chuck S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Seguin, Texas USA
Posts: 25,898
DISboards Moderator

In past years, some DVCers have booked a value resort room with the free dining package, checked-in, but never stayed there.

However, I think that CRO/Disney Travel can now "see" the DVC reservations on their screen. So, they may not allow that anymore.
__________________

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
tink,too
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
In past years, some DVCers have booked a value resort room with the free dining package, checked-in, but never stayed there.
There was a thread a little while back on the regular boards where someone had 2 rooms at different resorts for an extended family trip. They left some things in one of the rooms, but did not actually sleep in the room for a night or two, they then found their DDP (which was paid for, not free) was not working.

When they went back to the resort to sort out their DDP, they were told that they'd been checked-out since WDW could see they had a ressie at another resort! The items they had left in their room had been removed and could not be found, they were having problems getting refunded for the DDP they had paid for, but could no longer use - it all seemed like a great big mess.

Personally, if we want to use the DDP (and have never felt the need to do so, so far) we'd just pay for it, rather than try to cheat the system.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
burt
Mouseketeer
 
burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: west midlands, uk
Posts: 464

We have got 21 nights booked at POR next august with the free dining plan, during the stay we have rented dvc points for 4 nights at AKL, we are thinking of buying into dvc but wanted to try AKL before commiting. We intended just taking a few things from our room at POR for the stay at AKl but didnt intend checking out - so is this not allowed? We didnt really want all the hassle of packing everything up and checking out of POR when we will be back in a few days to finish our holiday there. We didnt think disney would mind after all we have paid for the nights at POR even if we are not there - now im worried
__________________
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #6
barrysprot36
Mouseketeer
 
barrysprot36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Doncaster,UK
Posts: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt View Post
We have got 21 nights booked at POR next august with the free dining plan, during the stay we have rented dvc points for 4 nights at AKL, we are thinking of buying into dvc but wanted to try AKL before commiting. We intended just taking a few things from our room at POR for the stay at AKl but didnt intend checking out - so is this not allowed? We didnt really want all the hassle of packing everything up and checking out of POR when we will be back in a few days to finish our holiday there. We didnt think disney would mind after all we have paid for the nights at POR even if we are not there - now im worried
We moved out of POFQ for 3 nights to stay at BCV then back again and didn't have any problems. I did inform our housekeeper though.

Caron
__________________

Aug '97 ~ DLP Sequia Lodge
Aug '02 ~ WDW Indian Ridge Villa
Aug '03 ~ DLP Newport Bay
July '04 ~ CBR
July '06 ~ CR, RPR, AKL
Aug '07 ~ CBR, Poly, free DDP
Aug '08 ~ POFQ, BCV, GF,
May '09 ~ WL CL Aug '09 ~ OKW, VB, SSR, BLT Dec '09 ~ Pop, OKW, BLT, CR Atrium & BCV
May '10 ~ Pop, POR & OKW Aug '10 ~ CSR, RPR & BLT Oct '10 ~ BWV, AKV & BLT
May '11 ~ Sunset Lakes Villa & Vero Beach
July'12 ~ BCV, BLT & Sunset Lakes Villa
Nov'12 ~ DLP Newport Bay
April'13 ~ Pop, RPR & BLT August'13 ~ BLT & OKW
May'14 ~ VGF & Kidani September'14 ~ WBTA, RPR & BLT
barrysprot36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #7
burt
Mouseketeer
 
burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: west midlands, uk
Posts: 464

Thanks for that Caron , If we do have to check out and then check back in that means buying two lots of park tickets which for 5 of us works out a touch expensive. I might try calling disney and see what they say but i think it all depends on which person answer the phone as they all tell you something different.
__________________
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
barrysprot36
Mouseketeer
 
barrysprot36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Doncaster,UK
Posts: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt View Post
Thanks for that Caron , If we do have to check out and then check back in that means buying two lots of park tickets which for 5 of us works out a touch expensive. I might try calling disney and see what they say but i think it all depends on which person answer the phone as they all tell you something different.
We didn't check out of POFQ, we left most our stuff and just took what we needed for our 3 nights at BCV. We've done this at least twice before and didn't have any problems then either.

We had free DDP from our POFQ stay and still used it when we were at BCV, just needed to use the same door key.

Caron
__________________

Aug '97 ~ DLP Sequia Lodge
Aug '02 ~ WDW Indian Ridge Villa
Aug '03 ~ DLP Newport Bay
July '04 ~ CBR
July '06 ~ CR, RPR, AKL
Aug '07 ~ CBR, Poly, free DDP
Aug '08 ~ POFQ, BCV, GF,
May '09 ~ WL CL Aug '09 ~ OKW, VB, SSR, BLT Dec '09 ~ Pop, OKW, BLT, CR Atrium & BCV
May '10 ~ Pop, POR & OKW Aug '10 ~ CSR, RPR & BLT Oct '10 ~ BWV, AKV & BLT
May '11 ~ Sunset Lakes Villa & Vero Beach
July'12 ~ BCV, BLT & Sunset Lakes Villa
Nov'12 ~ DLP Newport Bay
April'13 ~ Pop, RPR & BLT August'13 ~ BLT & OKW
May'14 ~ VGF & Kidani September'14 ~ WBTA, RPR & BLT
barrysprot36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
burt
Mouseketeer
 
burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: west midlands, uk
Posts: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysprot36 View Post
We didn't check out of POFQ, we left most our stuff and just took what we needed for our 3 nights at BCV. We've done this at least twice before and didn't have any problems then either.

We had free DDP from our POFQ stay and still used it when we were at BCV, just needed to use the same door key.

Caron
Was this recently and where both rooms booked in the same name?, i was going to book today and now not sure what to do, If we do have to check out and check back in we will do a few days at yacht club which is quite appealing but as i said buying two lots of tickets is a bit expensive decisions decisions !!!
__________________
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #10
tink,too
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,732

Hi burt

I think the best thing to do is book in different names. Splitting the ressies up with the rest of your party should not flag a "double booking" with WDW CRO. I guess it wouldn't help either advising your housekeeper or the front desk that you might not be using your room for a couple of nights either.

I remember many years ago, my parents did a mini Bahamas cruise in the middle of their vacation, and they left everything in their hotel while they were away.

Personally, I don't think a resort should check anyone out of a paid for room , but taking a few little extra precautions to protect your ressie (as mentioned above) definately couldn't do any harm.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:12 AM   #11
burt
Mouseketeer
 
burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: west midlands, uk
Posts: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
Hi burt

I think the best thing to do is book in different names. Splitting the ressies up with the rest of your party should not flag a "double booking" with WDW CRO. I guess it wouldn't help either advising your housekeeper or the front desk that you might not be using your room for a couple of nights either.

I remember many years ago, my parents did a mini Bahamas cruise in the middle of their vacation, and they left everything in their hotel while they were away.

Personally, I don't think a resort should check anyone out of a paid for room , but taking a few little extra precautions to protect your ressie (as mentioned above) definately couldn't do any harm.
Do you mean use my wife as the lead name on the booking for POR as i am the lead name on the dvc one. It does seem ludicrous if they do check you out after all the room is paid for so they are getting two lots of reservation money from us - i think they should upgrade us to the deluxe dining to compensate
__________________
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #12
tink,too
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,732

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt View Post
Do you mean use my wife as the lead name on the booking for POR as i am the lead name on the dvc one. It does seem ludicrous if they do check you out after all the room is paid for so they are getting two lots of reservation money from us - i think they should upgrade us to the deluxe dining to compensate
It certainly seems that would be best. The guy on the regular boards was definately treated badly. The CM at his original resort said the cancellation had happened because CRO can "see" all bookings - which sounds totally crazy to me. Both his hotel rooms and DDP were paid for, so why they felt the need to check him out is beyond my comprehension!
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #13
burt
Mouseketeer
 
burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: west midlands, uk
Posts: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
It certainly seems that would be best. The guy on the regular boards was definately treated badly. The CM at his original resort said the cancellation had happened because CRO can "see" all bookings - which sounds totally crazy to me. Both his hotel rooms and DDP were paid for, so why they felt the need to check him out is beyond my comprehension!
Tink i must ask do you work for disney uk lol - i just got of the phone from speaking to a nice lady who said exactly the same as you, it shouldnt be a problem but maybe it would be best to book one in my name and one in my wifes name - why waste money phoning disney uk i hould have known that a DISer would know the answer - thanks for your replies.

That guy sure was treated badly i cant understand that at all if the rooms paid for what difference does it make if its being used or empty , im going to go see if i can find the thread on the regular board, was it long ago?
__________________
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #14
barrysprot36
Mouseketeer
 
barrysprot36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Doncaster,UK
Posts: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt View Post
Was this recently and where both rooms booked in the same name?, i was going to book today and now not sure what to do, If we do have to check out and check back in we will do a few days at yacht club which is quite appealing but as i said buying two lots of tickets is a bit expensive decisions decisions !!!
The most recent time was in August this year. Each time we have done this all lead names was my own. HTH.

Caron
__________________

Aug '97 ~ DLP Sequia Lodge
Aug '02 ~ WDW Indian Ridge Villa
Aug '03 ~ DLP Newport Bay
July '04 ~ CBR
July '06 ~ CR, RPR, AKL
Aug '07 ~ CBR, Poly, free DDP
Aug '08 ~ POFQ, BCV, GF,
May '09 ~ WL CL Aug '09 ~ OKW, VB, SSR, BLT Dec '09 ~ Pop, OKW, BLT, CR Atrium & BCV
May '10 ~ Pop, POR & OKW Aug '10 ~ CSR, RPR & BLT Oct '10 ~ BWV, AKV & BLT
May '11 ~ Sunset Lakes Villa & Vero Beach
July'12 ~ BCV, BLT & Sunset Lakes Villa
Nov'12 ~ DLP Newport Bay
April'13 ~ Pop, RPR & BLT August'13 ~ BLT & OKW
May'14 ~ VGF & Kidani September'14 ~ WBTA, RPR & BLT
barrysprot36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
burt
Mouseketeer
 
burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: west midlands, uk
Posts: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysprot36 View Post
The most recent time was in August this year. Each time we have done this all lead names was my own. HTH.

Caron

Thanks Caron, we have decided thats what we are going to do, infact with a bit of luck in the next half an hour we are about to book POR for next august
__________________
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: