Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #151
peach3es
I'm stateside!!! :)

Well, Maggied, I hope you are not crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehousemom View Post
Ok I have a serious question that I would like some feedback on. DD9 wants to start posting & reading the teen site here at DIS. We let both kids go on line when we are in the room with them. They only go to Build A Bear, Webkinz, Nick jr , Disney & club penguin. They only play games there we have never let them chat or anything else. Would you let her go on that board? Not trying to be over protective( I don't need to try I AM) but I makes be nervous about the thought of her "talking" to people on line. So what do my fellow snowbirds think?
No, I wouldn't allow my 9 year old to be part of a message board like this one. Especially not the teen category. Things get said before a mod can check it and you've got some issues to deal with.

I'm waaaay overprotective with computer stuff. Too many wackos out there. Sad. We have 2 laptops and the kids use Scot's since he pretty much has to be forced to check his e-mail. We have K-9 on both computers, but his is set to the highest setting of security. The kisd can only visit sites that would be allowed by that, and a message board would not. Neither is any kind of chat, etc. I am the only one with the password for both computers. Scot doesn't have any issues but doesn't even want the possibility of accidently stumbling on something. There is so much icky stuff out there.

Unfortunately, sometimes he has to call me to come to his computer. "Carrie, K9 blocked the Arabic Bible again!"

No, I wouldn't do it. Because then the child feels comfortable in a message board setting, and might be tempted to access it when you are not with him. I haven't decided yet when my kids will have more online freedoms, but it's not going to be any time soon.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #152
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGIED View Post
Jen.... are you in another planning period......lol..... my kids would have loved to have you for a teacher.... they both love science.... DS wants to be an emergency room doctor.... might have something to do with the fact that he visits it often... too many snowboarding-skateboarding-basketball injuries.... gotta love teenage boys....
I posted this morning before school started then only during passing periods LOL today has been slow for me post wise cuz that pesky work gets in the way. ALL IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE!!

YUP YUP It's lunch time!!! WOOT!! We are doing water activities today...I'm so proud one group of my students fit 54 yes 54 drops of water on a penny..now that is Cohesion at work!!! (where is the nerd smilie..trixie you find it yet?? I desperately need one)

Three words for your son..Anatomy and Physiology if they offer it at his high school have him take it, he'll love it LOL

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #153
Kazooie01
"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
You have a husband who will read and post with you WOW!!
Half the time when I'm on here posting he is sitting with me asking me to write this or that. He’s as obsessed or more when it comes to Disney. It sure makes our trips to WDW easier when there are two of us planning.

LIVESTRONG- JLF 6/5/1977-7/17/2010, I will always love you.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #154
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

He is a sophomore now... he skipped Earth Science and went right to Biology as a freshman... did extremely well (high 90's) and now is in Chemistry... he was quizzing his father and I on the elements the other night... I was surprised I remembered so many.... next after chem will be Physics and then AP Biololgy - he is in all honors classess so I am hoping the AP class shouldn't be to hard for him.....

DD is a freshman in college and is taking Bio as well... she loves it... she is a psychology major... wants to do clinical research with children....

Old 09-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #155
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazooie01 View Post
Half the time when I'm on here posting he is sitting with me asking me to write this or that. He’s as obsessed or more when it comes to Disney. It sure makes our trips to WDW easier when there are two of us planning.
WOW!! I don't even begin to have words!! That is awesome!! Hello Kazooie's Hubby!! Hope you have a great trip to Disney and enjoy the planning!!

My husband looks over my shoulder and sees me typing and then shakes his head mumbles something along the lines of obsessed and why did we move to Florida again...I can't ever really understand all that he's saying LOL

BTW those of you who were mentioning weather. As a Florida native (well let's be honest lived here 3 years, winters are usually pretty mild and I live in the Panhandle so WDW is further south, but when it gets cold it can freeze so bring an assortment with you have pants, short shirts, and definitely a jacket!! (Trixie LOL, no you didn't miss the period, I know this is run-on and a terrible one at that, thank goodness you are helping me LOL)

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #156
coffeehousemom
Mouseketeer

Like I said I really can't decide she is 9 but has the maturity level of a 15 year old. She is very advanced especially vocabulary wise. My biggest fear is that she would be "counted" as a "big" kid.

Think I will probably let it ride & not let her do it. Right now she is really into webkinz & plays there with her brother when they have computer time.

Thanks Trixie yup that's them from a few years ago when we opened. I certainly hope people think its a fun shop. Kinda slow here today, but that wont last once the trees start to turn.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #157
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGIED View Post
He is a sophomore now... he skipped Earth Science and went right to Biology as a freshman... did extremely well (high 90's) and now is in Chemistry... he was quizzing his father and I on the elements the other night... I was surprised I remembered so many.... next after chem will be Physics and then AP Biololgy - he is in all honors classess so I am hoping the AP class shouldn't be to hard for him.....

DD is a freshman in college and is taking Bio as well... she loves it... she is a psychology major... wants to do clinical research with children....
I teach a version of AP biology at my school although ours is considered Dual Enrollment. I teach a college based Biology for majors class at our high school. We are doing osmosis and enzymes right now in that class!

Physics is a blast, as long as he likes Math! However, if he is doing find in Chemisty he'll have no problems whatsoever in Physics!! I loved my Physics classes and even took 3 of them in college! (once again need a nerd smilie or even one with real glasses or something on it)

Old 09-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #158
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello allow me to introduce myself..my name is Jen and I suffer from a rare disease called Disney OCD...you ask about binders..well let me give you the basics...

1) Must be at least a 2 inch binder or you'll need to purchase two
2)Rainbow or pastel color page seperators are a must (Its a Disney Binder it has to look Pretty)
3)I break my binder into categories
~Trip information (Itinerary, reservation for hotel, rental car, maps, budget and such) I also have hotel information like phone number and taxi cab numbers and such!
~Magic Kingdom Info (This includes my plan for tackling the park along with a map of the park and dossiers (sp?) of particular rides I like with Hidden Mickey comments highlighted) (I kid you not people LOL)

~EPCOT info (contains the same as above)

~Disney Studios Info (contains the same above)

~Animal Kingdom Info (contains the same above)

I have a huge binder that I need to replace with a bigger one which is why my husband's Office Depot gift card has "mysteriously" disappeared...and why I might be shopping there after school tonight!
Yippee! This is what I was looking for - thanks for sharing!
And have fun shopping with the gift card- oops I mean "No dear i haven't seen your OD gift card anywhere !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelXThree View Post
OK kinda on the same note - Is anybody planning on making their own itinary book?? I have working on a little book to take on our trip. It has all our ADR's, reservation #'s, tips, menus, WDW triva, and games for my son to play while waiting (tic-tac-toe) and more. I was planning on taking it to Staples and getting it bound.

Is anybody else doing something like this or am I the only crazy WDW planner here?

If so any other suggestions to add??
Nope not crazy! I was thinking of making a little book or something for my kids to keep them busy for the 2 day drive- perhaps binding some coloring pages and games and such together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Mermaid75 View Post
Okay, so I've been reading these posts for along time, just never chimed in (as you can tell by my LOW post count, I just don't post much - I learn from everyone else! ).

We are a snowbird family, too. It's me, my Hubby and son (who will be celebrating turning 6 at disney!). We are staying at a moderate for the first time (CBR) - we normally stay at Movies!

Here's what I came to share, as, after reading all of these posts, I know only you all will understand.......I just walked over to the mall and the have CLOSED THE DISNEY STORE!!! I just couldn't believe it! It was there a month ago!! And now.....its a CALENDAR store! I knew they were closing stores, but, you know how it is...you never think it'll happen to you!

Okay, that's done. Now that my depression is over, I can get back to reading everyone's posts and continue the excitement until our next trip to Disney!!! Thank you for allowing me to share.
Oh the horror! How dare they!

How did you like movies all the times you've stayed there? That's where we're staying in Jan.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #159
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehousemom View Post
Like I said I really can't decide she is 9 but has the maturity level of a 15 year old. She is very advanced especially vocabulary wise. My biggest fear is that she would be "counted" as a "big" kid.

Think I will probably let it ride & not let her do it. Right now she is really into webkinz & plays there with her brother when they have computer time.

Thanks Trixie yup that's them from a few years ago when we opened. I certainly hope people think its a fun shop. Kinda slow here today, but that wont last once the trees start to turn.
Do you let her go to the Clubhouse at Webkinz? You know the one where they can chat with other kids? I just approved that on DS9's account for him. It is very safe and it won't even let you type in names, numbers, and certain words.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #160
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillettes View Post

Northern Disney Girl- I believe our girls are around the same ages, mine are 4 and 7. So I was wondering what u plan on taking into the parks for them. I had one in diapers last time so I needed a backpack. Thsi time I would rather go without one.

Amanda
I have absolutely no experience with having children in the parks! However, I know for myself, I DO NOT want to be carrying a bag all day long!

Right now, I am leaning toward having a bag with "stuff" ( warmer clothes in case of cooler temps, sunscreen, etc) and leaving it in a locker in case we need it!
Most of our days are only part days broken up with a rest. My girls are good meal eaters and not huge snackers. As long as they have water to drink and a washroom somewhere nearby they are able to go for a good couple of hours! We are a fairly active family, so my girls are used to walking quite a ways! Of course should anybody decide they are tired and/or grumpy or just plain not having fun I am willing to say "okay, let's do something different" and either go back to the resort, DTD or just a ride on the monorail!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #161
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I teach a version of AP biology at my school although ours is considered Dual Enrollment. I teach a college based Biology for majors class at our high school. We are doing osmosis and enzymes right now in that class!

Physics is a blast, as long as he likes Math! However, if he is doing find in Chemisty he'll have no problems whatsoever in Physics!! I loved my Physics classes and even took 3 of them in college! (once again need a nerd smilie or even one with real glasses or something on it)
He received the math achievement award last year for the freshman class... he claims he doesn't like math... but he is very good at it.... he says he likes gym the best.... oh then lunch...

Old 09-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #162
Kazooie01
"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." Walt Disney

Quote:
WOW!! I don't even begin to have words!! That is awesome!! Hello Kazooie's Hubby!! Hope you have a great trip to Disney and enjoy the planning!!
He said "Hello" (as we are both heading back to work) and said "Thanks, I always enjoy whipping up a new spreadsheet to plan something for Disney!” I always tell him he would make a good housewife!

LIVESTRONG- JLF 6/5/1977-7/17/2010, I will always love you.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #163
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny2AE View Post
Alright ladies...let's get down to business!!!!

I seriously have to get myself organized. So all of you very organized people please share some info about your binders- how do you organize it, what sections, etc.!
Let me preface by saying - you asked for it! I LOVE to talk about my binders.

I have two. A small one is for the road trip only. It has mapquest maps, a AAA triptik from the website, information about rest stops and restaurants along the way, printouts of potential hotels to stay, and activities and ideas to do in the car. Also includes planning stuff like things to pack, shoes, custom t shirt ideas and artwork.

On to the BIG one:

I have a 3 inch binder. It is divided by a rainbow of pocket folders - red through purple. Each color is assigned to a topic or theme park.

The front page of the binder is the print-out of my original room reservation.

First (red) section is All-Star Music information. Maps, tips and lists from threads or the DIS, photos, activities at the resort. A subdivider separates this section from all other resorts. This includes activities like Water Electrical Parade, , parking info, restaurant info and menus (i.e. Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Faire, Boma). There are sub-dividers separating each topic that I use as needed.

Second (orange) is general theme parks. This has info like pressed penny locations, GAC info, things that would apply to ANY park.

Third (yellow) is Magic Kingdom. List of attractions we want to see, ride length, park hours, parade and fireworks times. Subdivider with printout of restaurant menus that we plan to or would like to eat at.

Fourth(green) is AK. Same setup as MK section.

Fifth (blue) is DHS. Same setup as MK section

Sixth (purple) is Epcot. This is subdivided into Future World and World Showcase, then is setup same as MK section.

Seventh (white) is Downtown Disney and Water Parks. Not much there, but some menus, park times, maps.

I bought something from ebay recently (an old hand-held video game that preceded Pal Mickey), and the seller sent me all of the current Disney individual park brochures, so I have each one in it's respective pocket folder.

I don't print out pages direct from the web, but copy and paste into a Word Processing document, so I can avoid printing ads and navigation stuff, and avoid duplication, like when the lunch and dinner menus are the same. Also my page breaks are good that way, and I can print on both sides of the paper.

I use standard 3 hole punch notebook paper that has the faint blue lines on it. They lines don't take away from the information, and all the paper is already punched, plus this time of year, you can get a hundred or 150 sheets for a quarter. Then you don't have to buy a 3 hole punch.

This is what works for me - I'm sure there are a million different ways to do it. I can't wait to hear what other people are doing.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 09-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #164
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny2AE View Post
Yippee! This is what I was looking for - thanks for sharing!
And have fun shopping with the gift card- oops I mean "No dear i haven't seen your OD gift card anywhere !

Nope not crazy! I was thinking of making a little book or something for my kids to keep them busy for the 2 day drive- perhaps binding some coloring pages and games and such together.

Oh the horror! How dare they!

How did you like movies all the times you've stayed there? That's where we're staying in Jan.

What a great idea making a cute mini-Disney book for you kids. I know a lot of tour books have puzzles and stuff you could probably find online and make mini scavenger hunts or find this picture games for them to do in the parks (especially like the WS ) where they might tend to be bored (maybe I don't know how much little kids enjoy WS).

And thank you the gift card will be this forums secret..I guess I take it back, maybe I am glad that my hubby doesn't read my post LOL!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #165
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCastle View Post
Good morning snowbirds!

Every day is one day closer to January!!! I can't stop looking up WDW info online! I must be stopped!

Survivor starts tonight and I'm so glad! When Big Brother ended I thought I'd go into reality show withdraw! Bring on the Amazing Race too!!! Can't wait!

Have a great day!
Did someone mention The Amazing Race - bring it on, baby! As Jenjolt would say - woot woot!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: