Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #76
MegaMouseHouse
Mouseketeer

After reading through trip reports of the previous members cruises (09 will be my first) all the guests sound wonderful. It is kind of exciting that they will be surprises. That way it keeps us guessing and gives us something to look forward to in addition to the excitement of being on DCL.

Upcoming Trips 2013 - Disney Wonder Alaska 6/9/14, Dream B2B 9/15 + 9/19 2013, Magic TA 9/2014 Completed Trips 2012 - Disney Fantasy 9/12 (dh college grad) 2011 - Disney Magic ETA 5/14 (6th ann cruise) 2010 - Disney Wonder 11/7 (birthday/girls trip), 2009 - Wonder Member cruise 9/09 (momcation) 2008 - Disney Magic WB and WDW 11/08 (mom b-day and college grad) 2007 -9/07 DVC HAL Alaska cruise, 7/07 DL (DD 16th b-day), 2/07 DM WB 2006- WDW and DW 1/06 2005 - 6/05 DL honeymoon trip/fam vac 1976-2000 DL 20+ times (5yr old 1st trip)
Old 10-24-2008, 06:52 AM   #77
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise
We cruised under a DVC flag - how cool is that?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMouseHouse View Post
After reading through trip reports of the previous members cruises (09 will be my first) all the guests sound wonderful. It is kind of exciting that they will be surprises. That way it keeps us guessing and gives us something to look forward to in addition to the excitement of being on DCL.
That is definitely the goal from DVC. What gets frustrating is that it doesn't allow us to bring something that could be autographed. For example on the '07 cruise the theme was Disney Legends and the guest line-up was amazing (IMHO the best of all the ones we've been on). One of the guests was Richard Sherman of the Sherman Brothers who wrote so many Disney songs including the score of Mary Poppins. I have a Mary Poppins album which was the very first album I ever owned and it would have been wonderful to have him sign that. As it was they gave us a Jungle Book CD as one of our gifts so we had him sign that.

Still we've always been thrilled with the line up of guests. Now not all the guests hold an interest to us and I'm sure that is true for everyone. However every cruise we've come away amazed as some of the acts we've seen and some of the Disney history we've learned.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #78
wltdsnyfan

DIS Veteran

Joining the thread! i Will be dialing in and on the computer looking at the floor charts with a cup of coffee in my hand. I two wish it was a 7 day! Maybe ith the new ships.

flo
Old 10-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #79
wltdsnyfan

DIS Veteran

I was woundering does any one know what the weather is like in September? I know the past ones have been in October correct?

flo
Old 10-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #80
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise

The 06 and 07 cruises were in October. 05 was in early September (over Labor Day) and 08 was late September.

It is hurricane season so you always have the threat of storms. This year we had beautiful weather. Only a slight sprinkle on our second morning at CC. In 05 we also had great weather on the cruise but it was rainy at WDW before and after the cruise and we got diverted from Port Canaveral to Ft. Lauderdale due to Hurricane Ophelia. Disney took good care of us and had buses waiting to take us back to Port Canaveral (or WDW or the airport).
Old 10-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #81
wltdsnyfan

DIS Veteran

Sorry for so many questions! I know I have to get through on the 2nd first! But I am keeping positive.

We usually fly in the day before. Leaving out of O’Hare one never knows what could happen and I don’t want to miss the cruise. Last couple of times we stayed at the Hyatt airport. Don’t want to do that this time to expensive. Is there some place else any one would suggest.

WDWLVR Thanks for the info on the weather.

Thanks
Flo
Old 10-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #82
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wltdsnyfan View Post
Sorry for so many questions! I know I have to get through on the 2nd first! But I am keeping positive.

We usually fly in the day before. Leaving out of O’Hare one never knows what could happen and I don’t want to miss the cruise. Last couple of times we stayed at the Hyatt airport. Don’t want to do that this time to expensive. Is there some place else any one would suggest.

WDWLVR Thanks for the info on the weather.

Thanks
Flo
No such thing as too many questions especially if you are new to this. That's what this thread is all about. Getting to know each other and getting any questions answered.

We are in the Chicago area as well but we've taken to driving down for the Member Cruises as it helps getting the gifts home

As for the night before - for the first member cruise we got in a day early and stayed at the port at the Radisson.

For the '05 cruise DVC announced a bon voyage party the night before so we stayed at WDW. They haven't had that since but we've taken to doing two DIS meets now. One on board the ship and another the day before for anyone staying at WDW. We usually have it at the Beach Club so that is where we stayed last year before the cruise. We had a nice turn out but some prefer to head over to the port area. There are lots of hotels at the port area. We've stayed at the Hampton Inn the last two times we've stayed there. Nice ocean view rooms, a short walk (via private walk) to the beach and breakfast is included.

Hope this helps.

If anyone has any questions ask away!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #83
wltdsnyfan

DIS Veteran

WDWLVR:

Do you park at the port? What is the cost? We have never done that. I was reading what you said to my Dh and he goes see we should drive. It would cost about the same to fly!

flo
Old 10-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #84
JaxFLBear
DIS Veteran

Current parking fees at Port Canaveral:
$15/day for vehicles up to 20 feet in length
$8/half day for vehicles up to 20 feet in length
$26/day for vehicles over 20 feet
The total fee for the time the vehicle will be parked is due on entry. We accept cash, Visa, Mastercard and Traveler’s Checks issued in U.S. dollars.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #85
cobbler

Tag #1: (Under Construction: Waiting for cobbler to say something worth tagging! )

Tag #2: Beat husband in a debate

Looking at things I don't think we will be able to make the member cruise this year - at least on dial in day.

If it came to later maybe we could be put on a waiting list but I am thinking 2009 we will have to pass

Jan '00 - CBR / Dec '01 - CSR / Dec '03 - POR / Dec '04 - Pop & Sports / Oct '05 - POFQ / Nov '05 - 1st trip home to SSR / Nov '06 - CR Tower / Jan '07 - BWV
Oct '07 - SSMC07 & SSR / Nov '07 - ASMo / Apr '08 - AKV & ASMu / Sept '08 - SSMC08 & CBR / Nov '08 - GF /May '09 - DCL & YC /Oct '09 - SSR / Dec '09 - OKW & DCL
Apr '10 - GCV / Oct '10 - OKW / Dec '11 - VWL / Jan '12 -SSR / May '12 -Poly Concierge / Sept '12 - Grand Californian Concierge / Jan '13 - SSR

Disney Races:
Oct '07 - ToT 6.5K / May '08 - Minnie 15K / Sept '08 - EE 5K / Sept '09 - EE 5K / Oct '09 - RFTT / Oct '10 - W&D 1/2 Marathon / Jan '12 - Donald / Sept '12 - Disneyland half
Jan '13 - Goofy Challenge
Old 10-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #86
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wltdsnyfan View Post
WDWLVR:

Do you park at the port? What is the cost? We have never done that. I was reading what you said to my Dh and he goes see we should drive. It would cost about the same to fly!

flo
Yep we park at the port. As JaxFlBear says it is $15 a day. WE drive for a number of reasons. The gifts is one but we also enjoy a good road trip and we have family in TN that we visit on the way home.

If you do decide to drive look into going via I-57. It is a slightly longer route but we find it a lot nicer than going down I-65.

Another thing to consider is that some of the hotels in the port area offer packages that let you keep your car with them. I know the Radisson is one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
Current parking fees at Port Canaveral:
$15/day for vehicles up to 20 feet in length
$8/half day for vehicles up to 20 feet in length
$26/day for vehicles over 20 feet
The total fee for the time the vehicle will be parked is due on entry. We accept cash, Visa, Mastercard and Traveler’s Checks issued in U.S. dollars.
What we do is pull up to the luggage drop off and I get out. The porter will take our luggage and I top them. Then DH drives over to the parking lot and pays then parks the car. We meet up and head into to terminal. Nice and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler View Post
Looking at things I don't think we will be able to make the member cruise this year - at least on dial in day.

If it came to later maybe we could be put on a waiting list but I am thinking 2009 we will have to pass
Sorry to hear that Mandy but totally understand. If things change by all means get on the waitlist. I've known a number of people who have gotten on the waitlist and were able to get on.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #87
Donald is #1
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know what the single supplement will be? I am considering doing this cruise but it will probably just be me.

Thanks Kimmar
Go Red Sox & Patriots!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #88
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald is #1 View Post
Does anyone know what the single supplement will be? I am considering doing this cruise but it will probably just be me.
Sorry no I don't. I think your best bet would be to call Member Services before booking day to find out for sure. I think it is something like 1.75% of the per person double occupancy rate but I could be wrong.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #89
wltdsnyfan

DIS Veteran

WDWLVR: Thanks for the tip on driving. I will also take are garmin with us. I love that thing. I also looked into renting a car. I think if we drive that is what we will do. With the air fare the way it is I think we will drive. I don't want to put the miles on my car or my DH's car. I also forgot that if we drive there will be no restrictions on bringing bottles or snow globes. Also, like you said the gifts.
I remember this years thred and there were plenty of them.

flo
Old 10-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #90
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise

Good morning everyone!
The 2009 Member Cruise sails in 46 weeks!

Call in day is one week from today -
get your dialing fingers ready!

For the past number of cruises I've done a weekly countdown to sailing day. Hope you like it and it helps the excitement build as we get closer and closer!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: