Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #16
mamalle
DIS Veteran

Im pretty darn healthy too along with the kids but accidents happen- we didnt use it at all last year and 4 times so far this year. That doesnt include or payments for well check up, cancer checks, etc.. its like any other insurance- its there when you need it and it really helps when you need it..
mamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #17
KatRob
Mouseketeer

I have the cancer insurance also and get back $50 when I have my mammograms under the wellness benefit. Did not realize they paid anything for the pap, I do that every year right after the mammo.
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #18
SILLYANDI
DIS Veteran

As a mother of four rambunctious kids I would have to say we've got our monies worth!
My DS was in the NICU for 93 days when he was born. AFLAC cut us a check for $350 a day for that entire time (just over $30,000!). Last month DD3 dislocated her thumb-They paid us $150 for the injury, $35 for the follow up Dr's visit. (our co-pay for the whole thing was $15). In Dec DD10 fell and cracked her head open-$350 for the stitches, $35 for follow up visit. I get $60 every year for having my annual pap. These are just a few examples. We probably have 3-5 claims a year in our family.It has been more than worth it to us.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I don't usually buy "supplemental" type policy but did recently sign up for their cancer policy. Since we're a family of 5, we signed up for the $75 reimbursement. If we all get a screening each year, that plus the pre-tax savings makes the policy super cheap on an annual basis.

After having several friends & family w/cancer over the last 2 years - 2 w/double masectomies (sp?), 1 friend's DH, FIL & friend's DD 2 yr battle (now doing great!), it seemed like a nice extra safety net to have. I am more than happy to pay that premium & never need it but I've seen all the expenses out of pocket that come up if it is needed.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #20
disneypartyof4
Mouseketeer

Do you have to get this threw work or can anyone get it. My DH works for his uncle and he pays for DH insurance and I have to pay for my own. I wonder if I can just get aflac and drop my insurance? It would be alot cheaper. The DS's are on the blue chip program.
2007 August Pop
2008 August Universal & Disney cruise
2009 July Birthday trip All Star Sports
2010 Aug. All Star Sports
2011 Aug. All Star Sports With Brother & Family
disneypartyof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #21
Lisa_M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypartyof4 View Post
Do you have to get this threw work or can anyone get it. My DH works for his uncle and he pays for DH insurance and I have to pay for my own. I wonder if I can just get aflac and drop my insurance? It would be alot cheaper. The DS's are on the blue chip program.
Aflac isn't health insurance, it's supplemental insurance for accidents or cancer those sorts of things. They will pay a claim if you have an accident and have to get treatment (like $35 per visit or so), but the amount is not anywhere near the cost of going to the doctor, or having an extended stay in the hospital, ICU or NICU. It wouldn't make any sense to cancel your health insurance for Aflac. If you have an accident you would need to seek medical treatment to have an Aflac claim, yet you wouldn't be able to afford to seek medical treatment without insurance...
Me DH DD DD #2 my little babeski
Lisa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #22
disneypartyof4
Mouseketeer

Can you get it on ypor own or does your work to provide it?
2007 August Pop
2008 August Universal & Disney cruise
2009 July Birthday trip All Star Sports
2010 Aug. All Star Sports
2011 Aug. All Star Sports With Brother & Family
disneypartyof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:13 PM   #23
Lisa_M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They are selling it through work so we might get a group rate or something, I don't know. I'm sure you could buy it on your own. otherwise they wouldn't have all those commercials. I think their website is aflac.com so check it out.
Me DH DD DD #2 my little babeski
Lisa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #24
sameyeyam
Cancer didn't take my life, it made me live it!

I don't personally have Aflac, but I am a breast cancer survivor that chats on the Komen message board a lot. There have been several women on there that have Aflac and they all say they are thrilled with it! For many of them it helped cover their deductibles or made it possible to cut their work hours back to part time during their chemo & radiation treatments. If it ever becomes available at my or my husband's work I will make sure to get it.

And for those of you that think you are in good health and young....I was 40 years old, had my first mammogram which was completely normal. Fast forward 7 months later and I had a 2-1/2 inch tumor that was cancer. I should have been the poster child for who shouldn't get cancer. I went from being a healthy person to being in the group of the sickest people in the world in just one day. Thank goodness we had very good medical insurance, because here are the approximate costs...

Mastectomy - $40,000
Chemo - $18,000 per round x 8 rounds
Radiation - $75,000 for 6.5 weeks
Reconstruction - $70,000

I do wish we had Aflac because it would have helped pay for those things that medical insurance didn't....gas for driving to doctors appointments, co-pays, babysitter to watch kids while you go to appointments, pay for house cleaner, special foods, hundreds of dollars worth of over the counter drugs not covered by insurance, etc...
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #25
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
You can get it own your own. It is definitely worth it. I had it when I injured my knee in 2001 and it paid me to get it fixed. Well worth it, stupid duck or not (actually I really like that duck) AAAAFLACCCCCCCCC

Suzanne
Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #26
csmommy
DIS Veteran
Believes that every time you hear or see the word Disney a Tag Fairy gets their wings

Hi - I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how people feel about AFLAC now? DH is being offered it at work for $6 per week.

2013 ~ 7/28-8/6 split BCV & VWL
2012 ~ 5/24 - 5/28 BWV DS 17th
2011 ~ 8/9-8/17 AKVJH & BLT
2010 ~ 8/7-14 WWOPP
2009 ~ 8/13-22 split AKVK & BCV
2007 ~ split OKW & BW
2005 ~ split AKLJH & Swan
2000 ~ POFQ
1992 ~ POFQ ~ no kids yet
1990 ~ off site
csmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #27
Jeninindy
I broke my ankle and got a concussion playing Miniature golf

Yes, AFLAC is worth it. We have the accident policy, and the two other supplemental policies. In a normal year, we make back the premiums just using the accident policy, especially with three kids and me (the Klutz I am).....

Jeninindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #28
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

I don't have an AFLAC policy but I do have a similar policy with State Farm. It's a hospital income policy that pays for ER visits, outpatient surgery and inpatient stays. It's easy to file a claim and they pay quick. The amounts vary but I get $160 per day in the hospital, $160 per outpatient surgery and up to 3 times the ER bill. The last few years I've made several inpatient, outpatient surgery and ER claims. Most insurance companies sell a similar product.

Looked up the cost: $142.90 per year. $11.90 a month.

Last edited by DVC-Don; 03-07-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added policy cost
DVC-Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #29
it's kelly
Mouseketeer

I *love* having Aflac. I'm not sure the exact price as it's taken out of my husbands pay. They pay me to stay on top of my screenings (I'm paid for mammo or pap and because of strong history I've been going for a few years, and I just turned 33). I also have a friend who had cancer and said they were very thankful to have Aflac.

09/08 Pop with DH
09/10 POFQ with DH
09/12 AKL with DH
it's kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #30
it's kelly
Mouseketeer

I don't personally have Aflac, but I am a breast cancer survivor that chats on the Komen message board a lot. There have been several women on there that have Aflac and they all say they are thrilled with it! For many of them it helped cover their deductibles or made it possible to cut their work hours back to part time during their chemo & radiation treatments. If it ever becomes available at my or my husband's work I will make sure to get it.

And for those of you that think you are in good health and young....I was 40 years old, had my first mammogram which was completely normal. Fast forward 7 months later and I had a 2-1/2 inch tumor that was cancer. I should have been the poster child for who shouldn't get cancer. I went from being a healthy person to being in the group of the sickest people in the world in just one day. Thank goodness we had very good medical insurance, because here are the approximate costs...

Mastectomy - $40,000
Chemo - $18,000 per round x 8 rounds
Radiation - $75,000 for 6.5 weeks
Reconstruction - $70,000

I do wish we had Aflac because it would have helped pay for those things that medical insurance didn't....gas for driving to doctors appointments, co-pays, babysitter to watch kids while you go to appointments, pay for house cleaner, special foods, hundreds of dollars worth of over the counter drugs not covered by insurance, etc...

Way to go on kicking cancer's butt! I lost my mom 4 years ago to breast cancer and I started with mammo/sono's since I was 30. I have high family history since I've lost both my parents to cancer and my grandmother (only other women in my family) also had breast cancer, twice.

I'm not sure on the exact requirements but maybe you can let some women on the Komen board know. My mother traveled 2 hours each way for her treatment, surgeries, radiation, Dr appts, and she was reimbursed part of the costs. American Cancer Society paid her by mile, it didn't cover the total but it helped. Also, there is a company that will come out and clean the house for a woman going thru treatment. If you'd like more info, you can private message me and I will get you the name.

I know how expensive treatment can be when you have insurance, every little bit helps.

09/08 Pop with DH
09/10 POFQ with DH
09/12 AKL with DH
it's kelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: