Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

It's a Great Big Beautiful Trip Report

Handy Dandy Shortcut Guide:

Prologue and Arrival Day, Kona Cafe
bluezoo and the Magic Kingdom
Toy Story Mania Mania, Backlot Express
Beaches and Cream and Jiko
MNSSHP
R.I.P Banana Butterscotch Buzz Buzz Buzz - Crystal Palace and Magic Kingdom
Cosmic Ray's and yet More Magic Kingdom
Shopping, Rides and California Grill
No Hurricane, But I'll Take a Typhoon!
A Walk on the Hot and Wild Side (Animal Kingdom)
Jiko
HS, Prime Time Cafe, Beaches and Cream and almost IllumiNations
Rough Start, Terrific Finish - MK, The Polynesian, Kona Cafe
Pool and Party
Giddy with Anticipation - I Need a Little Christmas Right this Very Minute!
Imagineers do have the best jobs in the world!
Epcot and Kona Cafe
Where the Dreams and Wild Things Are
Back on Safari Again!
Feasting, Fireworks and Festivities
TSM Bests Le Cellier in Disney Contest!
Boo to All of Us - MNSSHP
Boo to All of Us - Part 2
Penultimate Day- Puffed French Toast Ahead!
Penultimate Day - Part 2
Penultimate Day - Part 3
Penultimate Day - California Grill
No Title - Too Sad (Last Day)
The Trials of Reentry
Final Thoughts

Prologue - December 2007

This all started because my sweetheart did the unthinkable and went to the World without me. He did take his daughter, his daughterís mother and his brother and his brotherís daughter. I was reduced to saying things like, ďYouíre going to the happiest place on earth and Iím not invited?Ē Stunned, shocked and very nearly made single by this unimaginable event, I helped plan this special time for him with a heavy heart. I have great pride in my Disney skills, and I couldnít bear for anyone I know to have the nightmare of a poorly orchestrated trip. I made ADRs, resort reservations and park schedules. I purchased the Passporter Guide to add to his Unofficial Guide, and argued that yes, he would want park hopper tickets to maximize the few days that they were spending there, all the while grieving not being a part of his family for this experience.

Iím an overly serious girl with a serious job that has life and death as a prominent theme. When I vacation I need absolute escape and fun and frolicking to recharge my magic tanks for the return to real life.

My happiness level plummeted precipitously as a result of being left out of my DBFís experience, and suddenly I realized there was no better way to heal a broken heart than to plan my own trip. I started to feel better the moment I called CRO and also decided to purchase an AP since two trips were better than one and I would go in both December and January. All the fabulousness of Disney at Christmas was calling, and as it turned out, Mousefest would be taking place during my stay so I would have that to look forward to as well.

For months I shuffled days and plans like cards, laying them out, making adjustments to ADRs and THE SCHEDULE. Perfection is possible! There was much satisfying lingering over every detail and delighted anticipation of every yummy bite of every carefully planned meal. Hours of opening, closing and extra being open hours for lucky resort guests as well as special events (Christmas party, anyone? How about a Fireworks cruise?) were plotted out against the lines of meals and the Mousefest schedule. And then there was the bright and shining star at the end of the road - two nights at the Polynesian in a lagoon view room. My budget has always been much more Caribbean Beach than deluxe, but I had always dreamed of staying at a monorail resort, so when I got a killer AP rate at the CBR and a scary but also significant discount rate at the Poly, I booked there for the last two nights of my trip. As someone I met at Mousefest said, ďNothing says Disney like a monorail resortĒ, and I couldnít wait for the special end to my trip staying right there close to the beating heart of the magic.

I had discovered the DIS boards since my last trip and happily mined the huge amount of great information available, digging into food, park and resort pictures, trip reports and reviews of everything. Scouting of threads related to ďperfect park bagsĒ lead to the very dangerous Baggallini web site and delivery of several Baggs in delightful colors and styles. Later there was the ordering of the personalized messenger bag from the Disney Online Store. The love your feet thread resulted in a trip to the running store for Body Glide and smart wool socks and ultimately even new shoes. Soon hand sanitizer almost as nice as perfume (Bath and Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena makes killing germs a delectable experience) and packs of moleskin started piling up in my packing corner. Electric kettle, filters and filter cone joined the rising stack as I had finally had enough of horrible Disney coffee. Peetís French Roast would be my best friend in the early morning light on this trip. Poncho, check. Pal Mickey, check. Stopped lurking on the DIS and started taking part in discussions, so then I had to get cute tickers for my signature to celebrate even more my upcoming happiness. I would be celebrating my birthday during the trip, so after reading a thread about Creating Birthday Magic it was off to Zazzle.com to make the cutest t-shirt ever, with a picture of me and Minnie all big smiles that said ďIím Having a Magical Disney Birthday.Ē

ADRs settled, Fireworks cruise reserved and Mousefest events picked out, it was many anticipatory months until all my packing finished up on a snowy Seattle Saturday. I always take the red-eye to Orlando, so I have the whole arrival day to bask in the magic. Even if Iím bleary eyed and slightly disheveled, itís still one of the best days ever. As I finished packing that morning, the skies opened and snow enveloped us. Seattle doesnít get very much snow, so little in fact that they donít sand or salt or plow. If we get more than two inches everything slides to a halt. There were some anxious moments. I live on the top of the highest hill here so if I canít get down and off I canít go anywhere. Although it snowed like crazy late in the morning (perfect fluffy snow that you would order for days off and holidays if snow could be found on Ebay) it fortunately warmed up in the afternoon and thawed the way to the airport. It was smooth sailing and soon I was tucked in my window seat with blanket, eyeshade and noise canceling headphones making a perfect sleeping nest for the overnight. It was a big luxury this trip to have the nonstop flight with no tired too early morning changing of planes in Atlanta or Chicago.

Next up:
Arrival and first day of perfect happiness.

Cut to the present -

Now, I did have a ultra fabulous trip last December, but life stepped in and derailed my best commitment to write the rest of that trip report. I have tons of notes and hope to get back to it yet, but now thereís another trip to talk about! I hadnít originally planned on going back for another substantial trip in 2008, but then a series of life difficulties (the deaths of several friends, illness and death of one of my kitties, diagnosis of my magic cat with a horrible degenerative neurological condition at only 11, diagnosis of another friend with metastatic cancer - you get the idea) started to make going on a trip a near necessity. After all, my Annual Pass was good until early December, and I had never been in early September. It was almost an obligation to try the early period of the fall right after Labor Day and see if I could catch a week of super low crowds and enjoy the heat of the summer and recharge my magic tanks again. As always, planning itself was recharging and knowing the trip was coming up kept me going when things were extra tough.

September 3rd-4th, 2008 "Please just get me out of here!"

After all the complications and difficulties of this year I was at a pretty low ebb by the time departure day arrived. I was incredibly excited to get away to a place where everyone would take really good care of me and I could bask and play in an extremely creative environment. The schedule had been honed and polished, my fun summer clothes were packed, and Pal Mickey had fresh batteries. I had already shipped a costume for MNSSHP to the hotel, so I was ready to join in the delights of the days ahead.

I had a long last day at work, working as emergency doctor starting at 7 am. The afternoon was a little complicated when a sudden influx of cases really challenged my timing to get everything done, handled and in the case of unfinished things, passed off to the Docs who would handle them in my absence. I was more frantic than I would have liked when I finally scrambled out of work, raced home and went through the final packing moments. I did manage to squeeze in a shower, which would help the long night and next day after the flight.

For years I have taken the redeye to Orlando from Seattle, loving gaining a day of play versus spending a day in the air. With the consolidation and reduction of everything, Alaska has canceled their direct night flight as of my next trip, so this is to be my last happy swift flight through the dark to an Orlando sunrise.

I got to the airport in time enough to poke around the shops a little bit before going to the gate. Here are my Disney pals waiting around:

They are so excited about getting on the plane!

It seemed to be taking a long time, so Mickey thought he might just start the announcements a little early. "Alaska Airlines announces the boarding of Flight 10 to Orlando, beginning with Circusgirl, Mickey, Minnie and Pluto!"

The flight didnít look completely packed which was good for me in this moment but perhaps related to its demise. In fact I wound up with an empty middle seat next to my window. The aisle occupant was on her way to a Florida vacation with her family, with a skimpy two days allocated to WDW. I was horrified to find she didnít know when the parks would open and close, didnít have a plan, didnít know that MNSSHP would close the MK at 7:00 on her MK day, and worst of all, had no ADRs. She mentioned that she had been a caterer and considered herself a foodie. I immediately started mapping out a plan, suggesting restaurants and times that might facilitate some last minute dining and suggesting that she and her family go to the Halloween Party to take advantage of the extra time and many special highlights and activities.

It was an uneventful, quiet flight (aided of course by mask, noise canceling headphones and my own comfy blanket). I must look ridiculous, but I can actually get a few hours of decent sleep if I am properly cocooned.

Sunrise over Orlando was a beautiful sight to my slightly blurry morning befuddled self, as was the announcement that it was 75 degrees at 7:30 in the morning. After a long cold rainy summer in Seattle, I couldnít wait to be hot, hot, hot!

I hustled off the plane and to the happy train to the terminal for my first ride of the trip, and then went right to the rental car area. One of the tips I picked up from the Unofficial Guide is to go and rent my car before picking up luggage. The luggage is always super slow in Orlando, and I can rent the car and be back in time to pick up the luggage, and miss standing in line behind everyone else who got their luggage first. I actually had to wait quite a few minutes for my bags after getting to the carousel. I was restless. After all, I rent a car because I canít bear to lose a minute waiting for a bus. Címon, people, these are Disney minutes Iím wasting!

I wheeled my stuff outside and got my first lovely wash of tropical warm air. Over to the garage, up the elevator and over to hunt the aisles for a terrific car for the trip. I can hardly believe it when there was a Prius in my car class. Awesome! I got some instructions in how to work the Priusís starting and stopping and then I was off to sail to the land of Mouse. I loaded some Hawaiian music in the CD player and rolled down the windows to bask in the warmth.

I made a quick traditional stop at the CVS to pick up bottled water. At $1.19 a gallon it is a big savings over buying smaller bottles. I use a couple of smaller bottles I got for flight to carry in my bag, and refill from the big containers.

Then I cruised under the Welcome archway with a big smile and made the short jaunt to the Caribbean Beach. My room wasnít ready - no surprise and not a big deal - so I took off for a quick shopping run at DTD. I had planned my first visit to Goofyís Candy Company after seeing the pictures of the elaborate treats on the food photo threads. The DIS could also be known as The Other Shopping Channel, as it is the gateway to many essential acquisitions I would otherwise have known nothing about. On this trip alone I have Allisonís Cooling Neck Wraps (neck wraps in cute Disney fabrics that puff up to a gel cooling wonderfulness after being immersed in water), a cute Baggallini backpack, a Misty Mate Cool Blast Mister, and an adorable Mickey rain jacket that folds up in a handy travel pouch.

Goofyís Candy Company lived up to its reputation, and the CM helping me was utterly delightful. I couldnít believe I could just have someone make me a rice krispie treat smothered in dark chocolate, crushed peanut butter cups and more dark chocolate. I ran through the World of Disney, looking for things I might want to come back for (I get a 10% discount with my annual pass) and through Basin sniffing gorgeous bath products. Then it was time to head to the Polynesian for my breakfast at Kona Cafe.

The CM at the gate remembered me from my last trip, so I had real aloha when I arrived there. Kona featured an abundance of breakfast (The Big Kahuna and a press pot of fragrant, life giving Kona coffee were my selections) plus the bonus of being surrounded by tropical lush plant life in the atrium lobby with the soothing sound of fountains flowing in the garden. I had a great Disneyversation with two gals sitting next to me, the first of many during the trip. Here is a picture of my delectable food:

The macadamia-pineapple pancakes with special macadamia butter were dreamy, the French Toast delectable, the eggs were perfect over easy, the potatoes slightly crisp outside and just right inside, and the bacon and sausage just plain delicious. I got a side of biscuits because I need something to eat the yolk of the eggs with and they were also lovely - hot and fluffy.

After breakfast I called the CBR and my room was ready, so it was time for another tradition - the finding of the room. I love the CBR and have stayed there for at least part of all my Disney visits for many years, but their room directional signage is not very helpful in defining the actual direct shortest way to the room from the parking lot. I have learned not to set off precariously balancing all my bags while crisscrossing the walkways looking for my destination. I brought my small suitcase and camera bag and started exploring the paths and gardens of Jamaica. My room was a water view (I got such a good AP deal I decided to go for a room that would absolutely not face the parking lot) so I knew it would be a ways in from the parking. This room was the toughest Iíve ever had to find and it took me 3 or 4 trips before I could go directly there on the shortest path. I got my stuff hauled in and started to unpack.

The location was terrific, right next to the bridge to Old Port Royale, and with a view of the island, lake and new pool complex.

A blissful post all night flight shower was next, and then I was clean, unpacked and ready. I needed to do my final out of Disney errand (that would be OODE in DIS-speak) to pick up groceries. My list mostly consisted of half and half for coffee and fruit for breakfasts, and I ended up getting some ziplocs and small containers as well as a veggie peeler for my peaches and nectarines. As of my last trip I bring my own kettle, filters, filter cone and dark dreamy delicious Peetís French Roast coffee to give my mornings the start they deserve.

Every arrival day recently has included some kind of key mishap. Last December I thought I had lost the key to the rental car in the grocery store and sadly walked through the whole store again, retracing my steps, hunting for the key. It turned out to have slipped into a secret pocket in my new bag, so secret I didn't know it existed. This time I got back to the room after taking a circuitous not quite sure how to get there yet route while lugging my bags of stuff and discovered when I got there that I no longer had a room key. Sigh. Rather than drag all the stuff back to the car and then back to the room again, I just left it in a heap by the door and drove over to the Custom House and got a new key made. After getting back into the room with my grocery booty I decided to walk to Old Port Royale, check out the progress on the pool and just enjoy the lilting Caribbean music and beautiful sun. There were tropical colors bright in the perfect sunlight, lush gardens with little rushing lizards, turtles swimming through the water and elegant white birds stalking deliberately at the waterís edge. The pool complex looked really close to done, and I will wonder every day if it will open while Iím still there.

Next up - dinner at Blue Zoo. Oooooh.

Last edited by Circusgirl; 05-05-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
KigerKat
DIS Veteran

This is sounding really great! I can't wait to hear more!!

Previous Trips:
October 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
August 2010 - Pop Century
May 2011 - Pop Century
December 2011 - DL (off site)
May 2012 - Pop Century
August 2012 - Pop Century
September 2012 - Saratoga Springs
November 2012 - Art of Animation
May 2013 - Pop Century
June 2013 - Art of Animation
September 2013 - Coronado Springs
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
Circusgirl
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KigerKat View Post
This is sounding really great! I can't wait to hear more!!
I'm so glad you're here!

Last edited by Circusgirl; 10-10-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Mrs. Fleagle
DIS Veteran

Oh CircusGirl...thank you so much for sharing! I've made my Vanilla Caramel cofffee and am set up for the report. I LOVE seeing the pics and pretending I was on vacation with you!

And who goes to Disney without a plan? What was the lady on the plane thinking? Good thing a DisVet was there to aide her! Can you imagine?

Thanks again for the postcard....you are wonderful!

Sipping my coffee now.....

ďA little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference." - Winnie the Pooh
CAT0TIGGER'S OFFICIAL FIRST FAMILY!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
Circusgirl
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Fleagle View Post
Oh CircusGirl...thank you so much for sharing! I've made my Vanilla Caramel cofffee and am set up for the report. I LOVE seeing the pics and pretending I was on vacation with you!

And who goes to Disney without a plan? What was the lady on the plane thinking? Good thing a DisVet was there to aide her! Can you imagine?

Thanks again for the postcard....you are wonderful!

Sipping my coffee now.....
Welcome!!! It makes it double fun to share.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
I love OKW
Earning My Ears

I can't wait to hear more about your trip!!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
justplaingoofy
DIS Veteran

I'm in!

Sounds great so far! was this a solo trip? sounded like it was, but not sure if someone was meeting you down there?
Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
oybolshoi
You say vacation addict like it's a bad thing...Viva le Mochaccino!!!
Trips on painted lines in parking lots
Plankton's evil minion

I made it ... thanks for the heads up because I've been looking for some food porn from you and now I find that we get the best of both worlds: food porn and trip report!

And I just have to give you some of these ... I'm glad you gave yourself a WDW vacation to try to ease the stress of what sounds like a very tough year.
2007 Food Reviews: The Food was not Undelicious!
2006 Food Reviews: As God As My Witness, I'll Never Be Hungry Again!

Join us on the community board for non-Disney food porn and continued good-time tomfoolery: Bendy-Friendies V.4
Feeling Adventurous? Visit Our Food & Travel Blog: Gastropod Travels

Last edited by oybolshoi; 09-21-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: I used stress twice in the same sentence ... oh, the horror!!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Circusgirl
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love OKW View Post
I can't wait to hear more about your trip!!
Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplaingoofy View Post
I'm in!

Sounds great so far! was this a solo trip? sounded like it was, but not sure if someone was meeting you down there?
This was a solo flight. I always find the World one of the easiest and best places to travel alone.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Circusgirl
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oybolshoi View Post
I made it ... thanks for the heads up because I've been looking for some food porn from you and now I find that we get the best of both worlds: food porn and trip report!

And I just have to give you some of these ... I'm glad you gave yourself a WDW vacation to try to ease the stress of what sounds like a very tough year.
Thanks for coming over, and thanks for the good words and wishes! WDW is one of the best places I can think of to recover from almost anything.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
little1kry
Mouseketeer

Loving your trip report. I keep nodding in agreement at my computer screen at everything you've written. (Thank goodness there's no one here to see that ). And, I've found the truest statement I've seen yet:

"The DIS could also be known as The Other Shopping Channel, as it is a gateway to many essential acquisitions I would otherwise have known nothing about."

Can't wait to read more!

"One shoe can change your life."

2012 - Pop (Wedding planning)
2011 - POR & BW (Surprise engagement trip!)
2011 - AK
2010 - Pop (x2)
2010 - Poly
2009 - POR
2009 - Pop
2008 - SSR,
1999 - Offsite
1996 - Disney Institute (now SSR),
1982-1995 - Many trips. Thanks Mom and Dad!
1980 - first trip
Old 09-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

I'm here and all caught up and wishing I was at CBR!! We stayed there once and loved it -- except that it was a tremendous walk from our room on the other side of the water to the main building and pool. I get spoiled by the resorts that are all contained!

Loved your breakfast!!

yep, I too, have the cool neck wrap (a non-disney one), the cool mist, a baggalini and then add on the crocs too -- all from the DIS ... but then we added the big one too from the DIS ... DVC!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #13
Circusgirl
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by little1kry View Post
Loving your trip report. I keep nodding in agreement at my computer screen at everything you've written. (Thank goodness there's no one here to see that ). And, I've found the truest statement I've seen yet:

"The DIS could also be known as The Other Shopping Channel, as it is a gateway to many essential acquisitions I would otherwise have known nothing about."

Can't wait to read more!
Glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
I'm here and all caught up and wishing I was at CBR!! We stayed there once and loved it -- except that it was a tremendous walk from our room on the other side of the water to the main building and pool. I get spoiled by the resorts that are all contained!

Loved your breakfast!!

yep, I too, have the cool neck wrap (a non-disney one), the cool mist, a baggalini and then add on the crocs too -- all from the DIS ... but then we added the big one too from the DIS ... DVC!!!
Hi Marshay! I totally enjoyed sharing your trip, glad I can share back!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #14
justplaingoofy
DIS Veteran

m
Quote:
Originally Posted by little1kry View Post

I bet someone could make this a business.... (website to order at least)

They could sell:
misting fans (regular size & mini)
ponchos
glo sticks
baggallini's
neck wraps
crocs
disney jibbitz
small size detergents

you know....things that we go nuts obsessing over....

and with every order over $30 they get a free customized keychain (alien green mickey head of course) with their user name on it
Old 09-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #15
nts4wdw
DIS Veteran

HEY! I'm so excited that you've started your report!!

It was a great start, too. I feel like I have insider knowledge about what's gonna happen.

It's gonna be a good one folks.

Double thumbs up for the COP reference. Now that song is stuck in my head.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: