Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #121
#1hockeymom
Wants to DRIVE the zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnie View Post
Edgewater Park!!! Wasn't that off Telegraph rd? Does anyone remember the drive in movie places? Algiers, Ford Wayne???

I remember going to Farrels on Telegraph after our school plays and concerts at Bishop Borgess.

Who mentioned Steve King? He was my neighbor a few years ago and is currently on the Board of Education for Livonia Public Schools.

This is an awesome walk down memory lane!!!

pinnie
I remember both drive in names, but couldn't tell you where they were as I don't think I read road names yet! Anyone know which one had the carousel, the boats in the pool, and the motorcycle ride? We got in free, we got to ride real rides, what wasn't to like? OH yeah, they also showed a movie!

He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke

Last edited by #1hockeymom; 09-22-2008 at 03:48 PM.
#1hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #122
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

Hey! How did I miss this thread?!?! Born in Detroit...lived in Troy until I was 10...still visit family in Royal Oak and Rochester Hills twice a year.

One guilty pleasure that I have, that so reminds me of when I was a kid, is that every time we fly into DTW, I have to stop, without fail, at an Olga's, to get an Original Olga. I'm telling you, it transports me back to when I was eight years old again...the rest of the family thinks in nuts!

Question: Can anyone give me a perspective on the real estate situation downtown. We're looking to buy something (with a partner/family member who lives in Royal Oak) and see these huge mansions in Indian Village for sale for $100-150K. I know the surrounding area is pretty rough, but having driven through a few months ago, the actual neighborhood is very clean and feels "safe" to purchase. What's going on there?
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #123
I love OKW
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrh_disney_queen View Post

Is the Roostertail still downtown? I am having all these memory flashbacks. I had dinner there once, and ate at the Top of The Ponch once, on my prom. is it still there, too?
Roostertail...my kids school still has their prom there every year!

DS will be there this year.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #124
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1hockeymom View Post
Beginning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtUQP...eature=related

Ending
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLUwz...eature=related

Just listening to that song makes me feel all peaceful! I see by this youtube date that it didn't change much from when I was a kid to when I was a teenager and not watching anymore.
Great Memories! Thanks #1hockeymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugh O. Grams View Post
Hey! How did I miss this thread?!?! Born in Detroit...lived in Troy until I was 10...still visit family in Royal Oak and Rochester Hills twice a year.

One guilty pleasure that I have, that so reminds me of when I was a kid, is that every time we fly into DTW, I have to stop, without fail, at an Olga's, to get an Original Olga. I'm telling you, it transports me back to when I was eight years old again...the rest of the family thinks in nuts!

Question: Can anyone give me a perspective on the real estate situation downtown. We're looking to buy something (with a partner/family member who lives in Royal Oak) and see these huge mansions in Indian Village for sale for $100-150K. I know the surrounding area is pretty rough, but having driven through a few months ago, the actual neighborhood is very clean and feels "safe" to purchase. What's going on there?
Hey LOG, seems we have more in common than our love of politics. As for buying in Indian Village, I would say it would depend on the reasoning for buying it. If you are looking for an investment, I think the only way I could see it paying off is if you were willing to sit on it for about 8 to 10 years, but during that time you would be paying non-homestead taxes on the property. The economy would need to be hit by lightning in order for it to pay off any sooner. The line of work I'm in appraises homes in the surrounding Detroit area and values dropped 8-10 percent on average and they WILL drop again during assessing time this Feb, predictions from the local assessing office is another 5-7 percent. But on the upside, Indian village is full of history and is a beautiful section of Detroit.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #125
JanDave
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the great memories!!! I know I'm the "senior" DISer here -- graduated from Fordson in Dearborn in 1969. Go Tractors! A Saturday treat for me was going to Sanders at Michigan and Schaefer.

For those in the downriver area, I raised my kids in Woodhaven near Gudith and West Roads, then in middle and high school years, we lived in Allen Park.

Ok - so is our DIS meet at GLC on November 15? Count me and DH Dave in.

Jan
6/29/03; 6/16/05; 10/20/07; 9/14/08; B2B 11/18/10 and 11/21/10; 4/27/14

DREAM Cruise: 6/20/12
Upcoming Cruise:
Fantasy - 11/1/14
JanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #126
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

How did miss this thread earlier?

Grew up downriver, went to school in A2, now live in mid-Michigan and work in Detroit (yes, it's quite a commute).

I totally remember the drive-in that used to be on Telegraph! I saw ET there from the back of my mom's station wagon!

Went to a Christmas party at the Roostertail last year.

As for buying Detroit property, well, the city is beginning a sort of Renaissance. For those of us who grew up around here in the 80's it's a 180 degree turn around, but there is still much work to be done. As others have said, if you're interested in investing in property downtown you'd best be in for the long haul.

Growing up I lived 15 minutes (by boat) from Boblo. I remember when they closed it down. You can still see the remains of the log ride and several other rides if you boat in close enough. Something they usually don't talk about is how real estate companies made life a living hell for people living on the island who didn't want to move after the park was bought out. They eventually forced those folks off their property and the whole place is covered with very expensive vacation homes now.

You know what I love best about living in this state (and you've got to love something in order to stay here in this economy)? Skiing and boating, 30 minutes apart. Those sports were my life in the winter and summer respectively while I was growing up.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #127
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

Hate to double post, but I finally made it through the whole thread.

Quote:
Kind of off topic, but do any of you listen to Dick Purtan? Does Coleman Young still call in? (Obviously an actor since the real Coleman Young is dead, but oh, how funny those calls were).

We don't get WOMC up here.
Yes, I still listen to Dick Purtan on occasion. I loved his show growing up. He does a show at the Michigan football games now that WOMC is now the official carrier and my mom got on the air with them last year. I keep telling her she needs to go talk to them again and tell them her daughter's been listening in since she was 8 years old and is now almost 30. And yes, Coleman Young does still call in every once and a while.

If everyone is serious about a DISmeet, might I suggest Ann Arbor? There are some lovely places to eat/drink/talk there. Otherwise, GLC or Twelve Oaks...I'm about equidistant from both.

Oh, and GO BLUE!!!!!

My family boasts 8 UofM degrees in just 2 generations...and my grandfather was editor of The Michigan Daily.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #128
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrHawk View Post
...If everyone is serious about a DISmeet, might I suggest Ann Arbor? There are some lovely places to eat/drink/talk there. Otherwise, GLC or Twelve Oaks...I'm about equidistant from both.
I think most (including me) want GLC because of the nice Disney store there too.

If you are in favor of going to the DIS meet at GLC on Nov 15th just say 'I' and I'll make a list of those planning to attend and put it on the first post.

Is 10am ok with everyone? If the time is no good, let me know, we can take a vote on it.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #129
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardfamily1 View Post
Look up, look wayyyyy up....

...and I'll call Rusty...

I can even remember the sound of the whistle he used to call Rusty the Rooster, next to Gerome the Giraffe.

I can't quite remember the lines about the little chairs...something about an armchair, then "a rocking chair for someone who likes to rock, and another chair for two more to curl up in."

That music at the end with the cows jumping over the moon is permamently etched in my 3 year old memory...{{sigh}}.

Anyone remember Chez Helene and her little mouse?

You guys are making me jealous. We will be up from Savannah in Bloomfield Hills at Thanksgiving, but not before Wednesday...I hope you have a great meet!

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Last edited by hrh_disney_queen; 09-22-2008 at 09:38 PM.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #130
hrh_disney_queen
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugh O. Grams View Post

Olga's Kitchen...how much do those cost now, about $20.. That used to be my and DH's "place"...I loved their vegetarian ones, with extra Olga sauce..they were really expensive on a college kid's budget...but so, yummy.

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #131
hrh_disney_queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanDave View Post
Thanks for the great memories!!! I know I'm the "senior" DISer here -- graduated from Fordson in Dearborn in 1969. Go Tractors! A Saturday treat for me was going to Sanders at Michigan and Schaefer.

For those in the downriver area, I raised my kids in Woodhaven near Gudith and West Roads, then in middle and high school years, we lived in Allen Park.

Ok - so is our DIS meet at GLC on November 15? Count me and DH Dave in.

Jan
My mom worked for the Woodhaven School District as a secretary from 1970-1980(?)

Old 09-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #132
#1hockeymom
Wants to DRIVE the zamboni

[QUOTE=hrh_disney_queen;27748181]
Quote:
Look up, look wayyyyy up....

QUOTE]

...and I'll call Rusty...

I can even remember the sound of the whistle he used to call Rusty the Rooster, next to Gerome the Giraffe.

I can't quite remember the lines about the little chairs...something about an armchair, then "a rocking chair for someone who likes to rock, and another chair for two more to curl up in."

That music at the end with the cows jumping over the moon is permamently etched in my 3 year old memory...{{sigh}}.

The first youtube link shows the chairs!

He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
#1hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #133
wardfamily1

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1hockeymom View Post

The first youtube link shows the chairs!

I think you may have deleted a little too much, I didn't say that quote.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:40 AM   #134
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

we went to a drive-in a few times when i was little but i don't know what it was called or where it was....i remember there was a place you could buy popcorn and junk food....but i was really really little..
my memory of it is from that point of view....
it was such an unusual thing for us to do...sitting in the car with that soundbox...
my dad was this very distinguished aristocratic type....and here we were sitting in the car eating hot dogs...
it's hard to describe, but thinking back it's even funnier to me...

but i LOVED going there - it was one of the few times my dad actually did go out with us....

as for U-M...i had always planned on going there (my sister and brother in law both went there and my dad got his PhD there)...
i was accepted and had sent in my deposit and everything....
but i'd also sent an application just for fun to a school in the east....
and when the acceptance came in april, all bets were off.....and i went there.....
met DH (from DC)....married him 5 years later.....and that sadly was kind of it for Michigan...

though i happen to think that michigan is one of the prettiest states in the union.....and oakland county one of the prettiest counties....

and as for sports......not just boating and skiiing......other things as well....canoeing...snowshoeing...
a group of us in my high school used to go snowshoeing in the upper peninsula......talk about winter wonderland..

oh...and i thought the michigan license plate slogan was much better when it was water wonderland....what is it now? great lake state?....not as nice as water wonderland....or water winter wonderland...
Old 09-23-2008, 01:53 AM   #135
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:

Hey LOG, seems we have more in common than our love of politics. As for buying in Indian Village, I would say it would depend on the reasoning for buying it. If you are looking for an investment, I think the only way I could see it paying off is if you were willing to sit on it for about 8 to 10 years, but during that time you would be paying non-homestead taxes on the property. The economy would need to be hit by lightning in order for it to pay off any sooner. The line of work I'm in appraises homes in the surrounding Detroit area and values dropped 8-10 percent on average and they WILL drop again during assessing time this Feb, predictions from the local assessing office is another 5-7 percent. But on the upside, Indian village is full of history and is a beautiful section of Detroit.

they've only been reassessed down by 10%?.....then they are WAY over-valued...
even if they go down another 7% they'll be way over valued.

go into any suburban neighborhood....
how can you have 10 houses for sale on one block for extended periods of time and claim their value has only dropped by 10%?....you can't even give them away....i doubt you could pay someone to take them....

my first inclination of how very bad things were was a year or 2 ago, i was coming in from the airport heading to my sister's office in troy....the taxi driver exited I-75 at 14 mile road and drove up stephenson highway towards Maple road.....
every single office building on both sides of the road was empty....empty....deserted....ghostbuilding...
big, tall, beautiful buildings, like the typical troy office building....all empty...
i sat there with my face glued to the window, jaw on the floor....

i came into my sister's office and said , "what happened?"...

i can't say i'd buy any real estate for investment purposes anywhere near a place in that sort of economic depression...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: