Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #106
Ricky's Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco4dis View Post
All their talk about the old news guys — Bill Bonds, Ray Lane, Jac LeGoff, Al Ackerman, Jerry Hodak, Jack McCarthy, and Doris Biscoe — brought back so many memories from the 1970s of hearing my dad yell at the TV. "Shut up, Bonds, you worthless drunk! What the he*& do you know?"

Are we related? I so remember my dad yelling those exact words!

And who doesn't remember watching the Rita Bell Prize Movie when you stayed home sick from school? For me, that was the absolute highlight of the very rare sick day I was allowed to have. I got my love of old movies from Rita Bell. To this day, I can vividly remember watching some particular ones, and thinking, "This has got to be the greatest movie ever made. Do people know about these movies?"

Oh my gosh! You are bringing back such great memories!

I have never enjoyed a film as much as I enjoyed discovering those on my parents couch home alone sick from school, watching Rita Bell and her ringing phone. Oooh, I need a sick day like that again.
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
yup, i remember rita bell...and bill kennedy..

i guess no one remembers captain jolly or poopdeck paul....

i think they were actually windsor shows, but we grew up on them too...

and milky the clown from the twin pines dairy...

and speaking of twin pines....did you get bottles of milk delivered to your house every day? we did....
I remember one Christmas when Poopdeck Paul was charting Santa's arrival in the Detroit area. I was so excited and kept running in to the kitchen to tell my mom that Santa was coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnie View Post
I think soupy had white fang and black tooth.

Anyone remember Jonny Ginger? I watched him in the mornings. We used to have a Twin Pines milkman that put our milk in our milk chute.

pinnie
Jonny Ginger? Was he the one that lived in Boothland? I remember singing "Oh Boothland, my boothland".

I love this thread! I haven't laughed so much in ages!

My next house will have no kitchen - just Vending machines and a large trash can.

Ricky's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #107
#1hockeymom
Wants to DRIVE the zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardfamily1 View Post
Dick Purtan is still alive and well. Arthur P is still DJing on wrif. He's got to be 100 years old by now. It seemed like he was old in the 70's. DH said he is part owner of WRIF amongst other things in the Detroit area. As for Dick the Bruiser (aka George Baier) , I don't know what ever happened to him but I do remember the songs 96 Beers .

LOL I forgot all about 96 wheels! Sadly, I think I remember hearing that Dick the Bruiser passed away. I hope I'm remembering wrong.

For all of us who grew up close enough to catch CBC, who misses the Friendly Giant? I still hum that song!

He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
#1hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #108
Ricky's Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sir Graves and the Ghoul. That song from Sir Graves during the birthday announcements "You've past your prime, getting grumpy and old..."

FYI, I don't know how many Sanders stores are still around, but there is still one at Macomb Mall connected to the Sears. The last time we went there though it had just closed. I wanted to get DD a hot fudge cream puff just like I used to get when I was a kid. We used to go to the Sanders store in Lincoln Park back then - the one in the strip mall that was connected to Sears. Does anyone know if that one still exists? I haven't been over there in 20 years.
Ask and you shall receive! We still have a Sanders store at Laurel Park. I'll bring all the "fixens" when I come out in October. (If we just have a little one it won't spoil our Disney diets).

So it looks like we've chosen November 15th for a Dis meet. Can we get a vote for 12 Oaks or GLC?

My next house will have no kitchen - just Vending machines and a large trash can.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #109
Ricky's Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrh_disney_queen View Post
OH yeah, Farrell's! What was it that they called the great big punch bowl that had about 30 scoops of ice cream and they brought it out on a stretcher? Was it the Zoo? Help me here.
Wasn't it called "The Troth" (like a pigs troth?).

Old 09-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #110
MickeyCrazedMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Lil View Post
Love this thread! You all are bringing back memories!! I loved Kelly & Company. My mom use to watch that talk show. I was little when it was on. Speaking of ice cream- does anyone remember Farrell's ice cream parlor?? I use to love that place as a kid. Only went maybe twice for birthday. As far as Vernors I only have Vernors if I'm getting a boston cooler. Made with Vernors and vanilla ice cream. Yum!!
Farrells was the best!! DH and I talk about that place all the time! My mil was planning to open an ice cream shop a few years back and we begged her to make it like Farrells. She decided to open a flower shop instead! Remember you had to walk through the candy store to check out??? So ice cream and candy all in one place!!

Every time I am sick hubby makes a run for the vernors!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:32 AM   #111
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_M View Post
I'm not a native Michigander, but I admit I'm a bit fascinated with the architectural history of Detroit. Here's a great site that documents the "ruins" of a number of famous buildings: http://www.forgottendetroit.com
it's an interesting site, but incomplete in my eyes, since it leaves out the great buildings that were demolished...

have you ever driven through detroit? and i don't mean just downtown...

it's beyond shocking....

and you feel as if you're lost in a time warp....huge areas left as is for the past 40 years....actually 41, since the riots....

modern day ghost town....

but detroit was a missed opportunity from the get go....

a city along a riverfront...what they could have done with that....
Old 09-22-2008, 04:38 AM   #112
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

as for boblo island - i haven't seen it since boblo was closed...
last time i was at boblo was about 18 years ago i think.....probably not long before it was closed forever...when was it closed?

we went several times that year...one time making the mistake of taking the boat from detroit - scary scary scary scary.....did i mention it was scary???
the guards on the boat had on....what are those things you wear on your hangs so that when you hit someone it really hurts? the guards wore those on their hands.....that should have been a clue to us not to get on the boat....

anyway, after that time, we drove across to windsor and took the boat from.....from where...what was that place called.....geez....my memory is totally gone....
amherstberg? yes i think that was it...

anyway, i loved boblo when i was little....that and Edgewater Park...

anyone remember Edgewater Park? i loved that place...i used to ride the roller coaster over and over and over and over and over...i would get off, run around and get right back on....until i threw up...
ahhh..memories....
Old 09-22-2008, 04:46 AM   #113
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

look what i found on youtube!

the coaster from Edgewater Park...wow....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_2jU3eyjiY

i LOVED that coaster....that began my love affair with coasters...

Last edited by disneyholic family; 09-22-2008 at 04:57 AM.
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:56 AM   #114
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1hockeymom View Post
LOL I forgot all about 96 wheels! Sadly, I think I remember hearing that Dick the Bruiser passed away. I hope I'm remembering wrong.

For all of us who grew up close enough to catch CBC, who misses the Friendly Giant? I still hum that song!
Look up, look wayyyyy up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
...anyone remember Edgewater Park? i loved that place...i used to ride the roller coaster over and over and over and over and over...i would get off, run around and get right back on....until i threw up...
ahhh..memories....
My dad worked for GM and their company picnic was at Edgewater Park every year. Those are some good memories! I was too small to go on the roller coaster but I used to love those things that I called the flying boats. You could move the sail around by hand and it would go higher or lower.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:01 AM   #115
Lars624
Riddle Goddess
LOVES Cookie Monster
Those aren't typos, I'm bilingual.....
In all truth I'm quite DIS-organized

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1hockeymom View Post
I used to watch the Friendly Giant!! I had forgotten about that show!

as far as a voted for 12 Oaks or GLC.....I don't really care either way but GLC does have a Disney store & that might be nice for a little Christmas shopping.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #116
mouseclick1
DIS Veteran

I remember watching The Friendly Giant!

My friend and I were also in the audience once for Kelly and Co. It was a show where they wanted celebrity look-alikes in the audience, and my friend looked a lot like Sally Fields. It was a fun show to be at!

We still try to go to Detroit once in a while. We'll usually have dinner somewhere after a sporting event or something like that. It does always make me sad though, when we drive through the city. I am still in awe when I look at the beauty of those old, magnificent buildings. DH and I have ben talking about going down to Greektown for a while, but we haven't gotten ourselves down there. Has anyone else been down there lately?
mouseclick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #117
#1hockeymom
Wants to DRIVE the zamboni

Quote:
Look up, look wayyyyy up....
Beginning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtUQP...eature=related

Ending
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLUwz...eature=related

Just listening to that song makes me feel all peaceful! I see by this youtube date that it didn't change much from when I was a kid to when I was a teenager and not watching anymore.

He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
#1hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #118
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

Smile I left my heart in Chicago.

Michigander here... checking in. Hello Michiganders and everyone.

My very first trip to Chicago over July 4th.. I love the "Windy City!" It blew me away! You can't compare Chicago to Motown City. Chicago has a lot to offer for everyone. It is very clean and it is a safe city. I can walk with my children at night without feeling uncomfortable. My daughter loves Chicago. We enjoyed it so much that we went back there again for the second time last month.

I just wish Detroit can be something like Chicago. Detroit has nothing much to offer, especially for someone like me who is not into sports.

They need to get rid of those crack houses, and burned down abandoned houses and buildings and start building some fine restaurants and great shopping stores. They need to put some live great entertainments for all ages. Put some rides for everyone. Have a live tv talk show in Detroit, just like Oprah in Chicago. They need to make Detroit a pleasant city and make it where it's welcoming to everyone.

Sorry Detroit.. but my heart is in Chicago. The "Windy City" is fabulous!!
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #119
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

Chiming in from the west side of the state. I grew up in Warren, but haven't been back since I got married 20 years ago. Also a CMU alumni - Fire Up Chips!

I haven't kept up too much on what's happening with KK and Detroit. I really think the state should step in, but I doubt that will happen. Granholm hasn't done much for our state so I doubt she will do anything to bale out the city.

As for Boblo Island, I remember it fondly. Not sure the last time I was there, but while in college (mid 80's) we would go on Boblo Boat cruises at night during the summer and dance to the oldies with a band called Steve King and the Didlies (I think that was his name). It was a great place to pick up guys and you could always find someone to buy drinks for you if you were under age

And Farrells - OMG!!! Loved the place. There used to be one next to Oakland Mall we would go to. Now that is one place from the past I would like to see come back

"Everybody's got a boat upon the ocean, but not everybody's sailing out to sea." K. Loggins
WDWMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #120
Pinnie
Working a Dream Job
DVC Member: Beach Club Villas
"Shut up, smile and wear beige"

Edgewater Park!!! Wasn't that off Telegraph rd? Does anyone remember the drive in movie places? Algiers, Ford Wayne???

I remember going to Farrels on Telegraph after our school plays and concerts at Bishop Borgess.

Who mentioned Steve King? He was my neighbor a few years ago and is currently on the Board of Education for Livonia Public Schools.

This is an awesome walk down memory lane!!!

pinnie

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: