Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #91
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
i love this link - look through the series of pictures (scroll down)..
you'll see the hudson's building being demolished...

http://www.angelfire.com/de2/detroitpix/hudson_1.html

i remember that flag on the hudson's building..
and i remember the kern block...most of those buildings no longer exist..

instead of blowing up hudsons they should have blown up the rest of detroit and started from scratch....
I'm not a native Michigander, but I admit I'm a bit fascinated with the architectural history of Detroit. Here's a great site that documents the "ruins" of a number of famous buildings: http://www.forgottendetroit.com

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #92
preb
DIS Veteran

This is a great thread!

Kelly and Company...I used to watch that show every morning. I even won the trivia question once, but I couldn't go to the station to claim my prize because I was only 13 and I was home from school sick that day! They showed a picture of a house and the question was "Who lives here?" The answer was The Brady Bunch!

I would be up for a meet at GLC in November as well.

HIFS 3/01
HIFS 11/01
Vistana Villages 9/02
Dolphins Cove/Disneyland Hotel 2/03
Disney Magic-Eastern 9/03
Disney Wonder 4 day and BCV 11/04
Universal RPR and PBH plus Daytona 500 2/05
Girls Only Trip POP 11/05
Nick Suites and Hard Rock Universal 1/07
Universal Hard Rock/Marriott Cypress Harbour 11/08
Girls Only Trip POP 5/10
Contemporary/Disney Dream 1/11
Universal Hard Rock Spring Break 2014
preb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #93
MidgeD79
DIS Veteran

How about November 15 at Great Lakes Crossing. Now we have to figure out what time and exactly where to meet.
MidgeD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #94
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghansMommy View Post
Kind of off topic, but do any of you listen to Dick Purtan? Does Coleman Young still call in? (Obviously an actor since the real Coleman Young is dead, but oh, how funny those calls were).

We don't get WOMC up here.
Dick Purtan sounds familiar...Is Arthur Penhallow still alive? I remember him well from WRIF, the best rock station in Detroit.

I heard the song "I Guess You're Just What I Needed" by the Cars the other day, it reminded me they used to do it with their gang of characters, one was the voice of Popeye "You're Just the Matey I Needed"...Dick the Bruiser was another one of their characters on the morning crew...anyone old enough to remember those guys?

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Last edited by hrh_disney_queen; 09-21-2008 at 07:45 PM.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #95
hrh_disney_queen
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

BABY!!!

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #96
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrh_disney_queen View Post
Dick Purtan sounds familiar...Is Arthur Penthallow still alive? I remember him well from WRIF, the best rock station in Detroit.

I heard the song "I Guess You're Just What I Needed" by the Cars the other day, it reminded me they used to do it with their gang of characters, one was the voice of Popeye "You're Just the Matey I Needed"...Dick the Bruiser was another one of their characters on the morning crew...anyone old enough to remember those guys?
Dick Purtan is still alive and well. Arthur P is still DJing on wrif. He's got to be 100 years old by now. It seemed like he was old in the 70's. DH said he is part owner of WRIF amongst other things in the Detroit area. As for Dick the Bruiser (aka George Baier) , I don't know what ever happened to him but I do remember the songs 96 Beers .
Old 09-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #97
MickeyCrazedMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardfamily1 View Post
Sir Graves and the Ghoul. That song from Sir Graves during the birthday announcements "You've past your prime, getting grumpy and old..."

FYI, I don't know how many Sanders stores are still around, but there is still one at Macomb Mall connected to the Sears. The last time we went there though it had just closed. I wanted to get DD a hot fudge cream puff just like I used to get when I was a kid. We used to go to the Sanders store in Lincoln Park back then - the one in the strip mall that was connected to Sears. Does anyone know if that one still exists? I haven't been over there in 20 years.
Nope. I get my kids pictures taken at that Sears and there is no Sanders there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars624 View Post
I worked at the Sander's at Wonderland Mall in Livonia for a short time when I was about 19 or 20....now Wonderland doesn't even exist anymore.
I have a lot of memories at that Sanders. I can't believe you grew up in Redford too. I was Redford Union class of 91.

Quote:
DH went to WS, too. Around 1976-1978, I think. While going to school, he worked at Mt. Carmel as a janitor, and the ladies that he worked with used to love to feed him "soul food"-raccoon, possum, ick, ick, ick..he would eat anything and they would just laugh at him...

I have been to the Sander's in Southland Mall, don't know if it's still there or not..
No Sanders in Southland!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #98
hrh_disney_queen

We have very dear family friends in Brownstown on West Road. If it's still West Road after you cross Telegraph..

Old 09-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #99
hrh_disney_queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardfamily1 View Post
Dick Purtan is still alive and well. Arthur P is still DJing on wrif. He's got to be 100 years old by now. It seemed like he was old in the 70's. DH said he is part owner of WRIF amongst other things in the Detroit area. As for Dick the Bruiser (aka George Baier) , I don't know what ever happened to him but I do remember the songs 96 Beers .
Wikipedia (sorry, I don't usually use that site as a reference but I figured they couldn't screw up a birthdate..LOL..) has Art Penhallow born in 1944, so he is around 64...that's pretty old, but you're never too old to rock 'n' roll I guess.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #100
MickeyCrazedMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We have very dear family friends in Brownstown on West Road. If it's still West Road after you cross Telegraph..
Yep - it's still West. And that is very close to my house.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #101
Kimmielee
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was thereUncle Larry can do anything!

Quote:
I remember Lou Gordon (I wasn't interested in what he was saying, though), Rita Bell's Prize Movie, Sir Graves ghastley, and The Ghoul.

Sanders Hot Fudge is the most wonderful food in the entire world, and I just found a jar in the back of my pantry!!

DH graduated from Catholic Central in 1972 and MSU in 1976.. I graduated from Trenton High School in 1976 and UMD in 1983.

Also visited the Rotunda Christmas decorations until it burned. Then there were some animatronic decorations at a band shell in Lincoln Park that we started going to . Hudson's 7th floor was the best at Christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1hockeymom View Post
I remember running home from school for the four o'clock movie for monster week!
Bill Kennedy and Rita Bell... it meant I was home in bed eating cinnamon toast and vernors, becuase we all know that is the only way to get better!
Oh my gosh... I haven't posted in months but you all have brought back so many great memories... I had to join in.

I was actually ON Kelly and Company when I was in high school and George Romney was a guest. He made a comment that women should "know their place" or some such nonsense and I was soooo angry that I shouted at him from the audience!! One of my finest television moments ... ok, my ONLY television moment but my Mom sure was proud!!

Monster week ROCKED!! Vernors is still the only thing I can drink when I'm sick to my stomach. I keep it on had at all times, just in case.

I'm up for a meet ... (Shout out to Midge... woman, it's about time we meet!) and the 15th is awesome for us. GLC is just a few miles away from me.

Thanks WardFamily for starting this thread... I must say... the whole KK saga was sickening but just wait, he'll be back... and I dare say, they will vote him into office... again.

Kimmielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #102
hrh_disney_queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmielee View Post
Oh my gosh... I haven't posted in months but you all have brought back so many great memories... I had to join in.

I was actually ON Kelly and Company when I was in high school and George Romney was a guest. He made a comment that women should "know their place" or some such nonsense and I was soooo angry that I shouted at him from the audience!! One of my finest television moments ... ok, my ONLY television moment but my Mom sure was proud!!

Monster week ROCKED!! Vernors is still the only thing I can drink when I'm sick to my stomach. I keep it on had at all times, just in case.

I'm up for a meet ... (Shout out to Midge... woman, it's about time we meet!) and the 15th is awesome for us. GLC is just a few miles away from me.

Thanks WardFamily for starting this thread... I must say... the whole KK saga was sickening but just wait, he'll be back... and I dare say, they will vote him into office... again.

I was on Kelly and Company, too! No one famous for us, but I did get pulled out of the audience pn stage (camera)for some fashion comments. They liked my long "romantic" hair (?), but didn't like my Dr. Scholl's sandals. John Kelly shook our hands after while we left, and he had the most amazing blue eyes..probably contacts...I like that you yelled, good for you.(it was live, wasn't it?)did you get thrown out?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #103
Lil Lil
DIS Veteran

Love this thread! You all are bringing back memories!! I loved Kelly & Company. My mom use to watch that talk show. I was little when it was on. Speaking of ice cream- does anyone remember Farrell's ice cream parlor?? I use to love that place as a kid. Only went maybe twice for birthday. As far as Vernors I only have Vernors if I'm getting a boston cooler. Made with Vernors and vanilla ice cream. Yum!!
Lil Lil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #104
hrh_disney_queen

OH yeah, Farrell's! What was it that they called the great big punch bowl that had about 30 scoops of ice cream and they brought it out on a stretcher? Was it the Zoo? Help me here.

Farrell's was a real treat. We lived about 20 miles away, so we didn't go very often.

I think I'll go get my Sander's hot fudge out and have a scoop...

I never did like Vernor's.. Faygo Rock 'n' Rye...I miss that. and Red Pop

Has anyone been over to BobLo and checked out the millionaire's houses? I was shocked when I learned of this years ago. I used to love taking that big white boat from Detroit over to Boblo. What memories.

Is the Roostertail still downtown? I am having all these memory flashbacks. I had dinner there once, and ate at the Top of The Ponch once, on my prom. is it still there, too?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #105
Lars624
Riddle Goddess
LOVES Cookie Monster
Those aren't typos, I'm bilingual.....
In all truth I'm quite DIS-organized

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyCrazedMom View Post
I have a lot of memories at that Sanders. I can't believe you grew up in Redford too. I was Redford Union class of 91.
I'm a little older than you....I was Thurston Class of 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Lil View Post
Love this thread! You all are bringing back memories!! I loved Kelly & Company. My mom use to watch that talk show. I was little when it was on. Speaking of ice cream- does anyone remember Farrell's ice cream parlor?? I use to love that place as a kid. Only went maybe twice for birthday. As far as Vernors I only have Vernors if I'm getting a boston cooler. Made with Vernors and vanilla ice cream. Yum!!
I LOVED Farrells!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: