Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #916
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

I didn't realize this thread existed, until now.

Hi everybody!
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #917
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

HI

We have been chatting on and off for awhile now.. Welcome
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #918
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ols386 View Post
I didn't realize this thread existed, until now.

Hi everybody!
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

I've been BOO'ED!!!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #919
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. C. View Post
to you, too!
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #920
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

So how is everyone's summer going? Anyone do any Michigan Vacations this summer so far?

In June we went to the UP for the first time in the summer. We go all the time in the winter for skiing but never in the summer. Had the time of our lives. Went and did trails in Copper Harbor then went and stayed in Marquette and Found ALL the waterfalls around there. Went to AuTrain and went Kayaking and bridge jumping and also went to Munising! Such a great weekend and can't wait to go back next year.

In July we went to Cheboygan state park and camped. Went for a day to Mackinac Island and biked all day. Went another day to Boyne Highlands so my oldest could Downhill race.. While the rest of the family went to Petoskey State Park and layed on the beach. On the way home we stopped so we could do the Warrior Dash! LOTS OF FUN

We are heading back to Cheboygan at the end of this month so my DH and DS15 can do the Adventure triathlon!

Please share your Michigan Vacations with us here too
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #921
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Leafs View Post
So how is everyone's summer going? Anyone do any Michigan Vacations this summer so far?

In June we went to the UP for the first time in the summer. We go all the time in the winter for skiing but never in the summer. Had the time of our lives. Went and did trails in Copper Harbor then went and stayed in Marquette and Found ALL the waterfalls around there. Went to AuTrain and went Kayaking and bridge jumping and also went to Munising! Such a great weekend and can't wait to go back next year.

In July we went to Cheboygan state park and camped. Went for a day to Mackinac Island and biked all day. Went another day to Boyne Highlands so my oldest could Downhill race.. While the rest of the family went to Petoskey State Park and layed on the beach. On the way home we stopped so we could do the Warrior Dash! LOTS OF FUN

We are heading back to Cheboygan at the end of this month so my DH and DS15 can do the Adventure triathlon!

Please share your Michigan Vacations with us here too
Sounds like you've been having a lot of fun!

We bought some property near Houghton Lake a few years ago, so we spend most of our free time up there and don't do a whole lot of Michigan traveling anymore. Lately we've kind of been missing it, and had planned on heading up to the Soo for a few days earlier this summer but it keeps being put on the back burner. Monday is my birthday, so we're going over to Ludington for a couple of days, we love that area over there.

Haven't been to the UP in awhile, we used to camp up there a lot, in the Soo area, Tahquamenon Rivermouth, and on up to Copper Harbor. It's so beautiful up there. We are going to try to get back up there next summer.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #922
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

We've done two 4 day weekends in Detroit's Greektown. We like to stay at the Atheneum hotel. The last time was for the Detroit Gran Prix on Belle Isle. We were guests of Cadillac Racing and their hospitality center was our home base for the race weekend. Ate lobster at Fishbones and saganaki at Pegasus. Great area!
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #923
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I was up visting dad early June. Visted My old Hs before they tore part of it down, went to class reunion, my nephews Bday party, and went to favorite Chow place in Holland.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #924
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

I am a displaced MI person! Just returned from a mini trip to visit old friends in Plymouth - where I use to live.I simply ADORE that town and miss it! Was in Northville and discovered the cutest shop - art gallery wtih all things made by Michigan Artists. I BOUGHT MANY THINGS! A bamboo cutting board in the shape of the mitten, gorgeous pic of Plymouth during the Ice FEstival, etc. I would SO move back there but the cold weather and eh economy have me thinking otherwise. So enjoyed being back though! Visited Grosse lle too!

scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #925
LisaR

Thought I'd bump this thread and ask a question on places to live. Born and raised in MI but had to move away 7 years ago for work. DH was just told he will be returning in the next 6 months to one year. We will try and push it to the summer since we have a high school senior this year.

Where are some good areas to live in southeast MI nowadays? It must be within an hours drive of Dearborn. We've lived all around MI and have relatives everywhere. Our last house in Dearborn was a keeper. I could have retired in that house. Loved the area. Unfortunately, subsequent visits seem to show the area getting more and more run down and now I am pretty certain we don't want to live there. I haven't been back in 2 years so maybe it has changed?

I'd prefer to stay away from much of Oakland County just because we always found the commute to be tough from that part of town. Again, maybe it has changed.

We have also lived in Highland Township (not Highland Park), Hartland, Howell, and Milford all while commuting to Dearborn. We have lived in Livonia and Ann Arbor without commuting. I've always liked Plymouth but haven't been there is years. I've never been a fan of Canton and Novi.

Any suggestions on some good areas now? We should be going back for a brief visit in December so we hope to have time to do a little driving around.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #926
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Thought I'd bump this thread and ask a question on places to live. Born and raised in MI but had to move away 7 years ago for work. DH was just told he will be returning in the next 6 months to one year. We will try and push it to the summer since we have a high school senior this year.

Where are some good areas to live in southeast MI nowadays? It must be within an hours drive of Dearborn. We've lived all around MI and have relatives everywhere. Our last house in Dearborn was a keeper. I could have retired in that house. Loved the area. Unfortunately, subsequent visits seem to show the area getting more and more run down and now I am pretty certain we don't want to live there. I haven't been back in 2 years so maybe it has changed?

I'd prefer to stay away from much of Oakland County just because we always found the commute to be tough from that part of town. Again, maybe it has changed.

We have also lived in Highland Township (not Highland Park), Hartland, Howell, and Milford all while commuting to Dearborn. We have lived in Livonia and Ann Arbor without commuting. I've always liked Plymouth but haven't been there is years. I've never been a fan of Canton and Novi.

Any suggestions on some good areas now? We should be going back for a brief visit in December so we hope to have time to do a little driving around.
Plymouth is still lovely. I cannot imagine commuting from Hartland, Howell or Milford to Dearborn -- you're a hearty bunch.

The Grosse Pointes are great communities w/ great schools and not a bad commute to Dearborn -- 30 min or less is easily doable most days. Bonus is you can scoop up houses for a song right now -- in the Pointes and most other Michigan communities.

Welcome back, we're glad to have you!
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #927
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanafrau View Post
Plymouth is still lovely. I cannot imagine commuting from Hartland, Howell or Milford to Dearborn -- you're a hearty bunch.

The Grosse Pointes are great communities w/ great schools and not a bad commute to Dearborn -- 30 min or less is easily doable most days. Bonus is you can scoop up houses for a song right now -- in the Pointes and most other Michigan communities.

Welcome back, we're glad to have you!
Thanks! We were much younger in those commuting years and traffic was much lighter. Howell didn't even have a Walmart or Home Depot in those days. Now we visit that area and we are lost because it is so built up.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #928
ascwilson
Mouseketeer

We live in West Bloomfield which is a very nice area. You may want to look at Birmingham or Bloomfield Hills as they are also both very nice and you can pick up Southfield in Birmingham and be to Dearborn a lot faster than if you take Telegraph (even though they are all in Oakland). We were in Hartland last night and that area has definitely grown but I'd think that would be a haul to the Dearborn area. Right now you'll be able to get a great price on homes in SE MI. Best of luck in your search.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #929
MI mom of 3
didn't feel any panic that we were missing things

I have a question. We pass this building every time we head south down I-75 Hoping someone here can help me.

What is that enormous building with no windows on the west side of I-75 between exits 15 and 18?

I've tried googling it and nothing.

Thanks

'67 Disneyland; '74, '75 Fort Wilderness; '82 Treehouses; '83, '85, '89 Fairway Villas; '91 Grand Vista Suites; '93 Beach Club; '93 Fairway Villas; '94 OKW; '95 AllStar Sports; '96 Disneyland, '97 OKW; '99, '01 OKW/Vero; '01 Boardwalk; '03, '05 OKW/Vero; '06 CSR; '07 POFQ; '07 OKW/Vero; '08 Poly; '09 OKW/Vero; '11 Saratoga Springs; '11 OKW/Vero; '12 Vero Beach; '12 Beach Club Villas; '13 AllStar Music; '13 Pop Century; '13 OKW/Vero; '13 Art of Animation; '13 AllStar Sports; '14 Pop Century; '14 Pop Century; '14 OKW; '14 Saratoga Springs
MI mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #930
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI mom of 3 View Post
I have a question. We pass this building every time we head south down I-75 Hoping someone here can help me.

What is that enormous building with no windows on the west side of I-75 between exits 15 and 18?

I've tried googling it and nothing.

Thanks
There is a very large Meijer warehouse before you reach exit 20. Not sure if that's what you could be talking about.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: