Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #886
WL Fan
Mouseketeer

Hello Mamajo! We were in Marquette last summer, love it up north!

Doesn't it seem, my fellow Michiganders, like it's ALWAYS going to be snowy and cold? I can't wait for spring. This is just getting ridiculous.
POFQ, March 2010
POFQ, Feb 25-March 4, 2012
WL, Dec 3-6, 2012 "Just Us Two"
WL Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #887
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

OMG I can't believe you were without power for 5 days I would never have made it
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #888
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
My kids go to AC as well! Our daughter lives in the apartments and they did not lose power. Our son, on the other hand, had no power. We just got our power at home back yesterday after 5 days without! What a mess we've had here in our little corner of the world.
Where does your son live. Our DD lives in Jarvis. She is a sophmore. What about your kids?

"Everybody's got a boat upon the ocean, but not everybody's sailing out to sea." K. Loggins
WDWMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #889
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by natenapril View Post
So I mentioned early that we are moving to Michigan. THings were a little delayed but we leave on the first and should be there by the 9th. We just put a deposit on a house today. Getting excited!
Welcome to Michigan
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

I've been BOO'ED!!!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #890
MickeyCrazedMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebuzzandwoody View Post
Hi Laura!
Hi Love!!!! So happy to see you. Hope the family is doing well. My Abby is turning 3 next week, can you believe it!!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #891
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWMom View Post
Where does your son live. Our DD lives in Jarvis. She is a sophmore. What about your kids?
Our son is in Estes--he is an ATO, but moved out of the house into a "quieter" location. Ty is a 5th year senior and graduating in May! God Willing!

Taylor is a junior and she lives in Collegeview South Apartments with three roomies. Their complex had power the entire time.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #892
micheleq
DIS Veteran

Just a belated THANK YOU to everyone for the great suggestions for vacation spots and heading "up north". I think we are going to venture out in late April when my DDs have break from school...DH wants to check out the Grand Haven/Holland area, I'd like to get all the way up to Traverse City/Leelanau...We'll cover it all at some point! Still exploring Detroit and the surrounding area here. DD5 has become a die-hard Red Wings fan lol! DH has taken her to two games and she loves it. She's been skating for three years, so now I think we are going to try out an all-girls mini mites hockey program (DH's friend and teammate on his men's league team is one of the coaches). Not sure if I'm ready to be a hockey mom as I know the massive commitment it is, but all she wants to do is skate, so how can we deny that?

We just spent February break visiting friends & family back on the east coast. Next year we will head to warmer climates for Feb. break! No break from the cold at all. I'm trying to think spring over here. I feel like each day I can see a little more water vs. ice on Lake St. Clair, so that's got to be good right?

CB 1/01 SSR 12/08 YC-CL 10/11 SSR 11/14 VGF 1/15
Magic Western Caribbean 2/12
Wonder Easter 3/13 Western Caribbean
Fantasy Easter 4/14 Eastern Caribbean
DL PPH-CL 8/13
micheleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #893
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleq View Post
Just a belated THANK YOU to everyone for the great suggestions for vacation spots and heading "up north". I think we are going to venture out in late April when my DDs have break from school...DH wants to check out the Grand Haven/Holland area, I'd like to get all the way up to Traverse City/Leelanau...We'll cover it all at some point! Still exploring Detroit and the surrounding area here. DD5 has become a die-hard Red Wings fan lol! DH has taken her to two games and she loves it. She's been skating for three years, so now I think we are going to try out an all-girls mini mites hockey program (DH's friend and teammate on his men's league team is one of the coaches). Not sure if I'm ready to be a hockey mom as I know the massive commitment it is, but all she wants to do is skate, so how can we deny that?

We just spent February break visiting friends & family back on the east coast. Next year we will head to warmer climates for Feb. break! No break from the cold at all. I'm trying to think spring over here. I feel like each day I can see a little more water vs. ice on Lake St. Clair, so that's got to be good right?
I live in the Holland area. If you'd like to know the places to really see let me know. We visit Grand Haven often as we have good friends who live there, but there is not much to do there in non summer seasons. It is only a 25 minute drive from Holland though. Hopefully the tulips will be out when you come.

"Everybody's got a boat upon the ocean, but not everybody's sailing out to sea." K. Loggins
Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #894
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
Our son is in Estes--he is an ATO, but moved out of the house into a "quieter" location. Ty is a 5th year senior and graduating in May! God Willing!

Taylor is a junior and she lives in Collegeview South Apartments with three roomies. Their complex had power the entire time.
DD was able to figure out who your kids are through FB. She doesn't know them though but must have some mutual friends. DD's name is Keli. Where do you guys live? Always looking for someone from Adrian who lives west of Lansing if possible for rides home as we live in Zeeland.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:10 AM   #895
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:
DD was able to figure out who your kids are through FB. She doesn't know them though but must have some mutual friends. DD's name is Keli. Where do you guys live? Always looking for someone from Adrian who lives west of Lansing if possible for rides home as we live in Zeeland.
I'm sure they do have mutual friends on Fb since it seems everyone from AC is a "friend" on Fb. AC promotes it when the kids arrive as frosh. Unfortunately, we live in the area of AC. Our kids are only about 20 minutes from home. The best of both worlds--living on campus, but close enough to home when they need a "home" fix.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #896
micheleq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I live in the Holland area. If you'd like to know the places to really see let me know. We visit Grand Haven often as we have good friends who live there, but there is not much to do there in non summer seasons. It is only a 25 minute drive from Holland though. Hopefully the tulips will be out when you come.
Thanks! I'll def. take you up on the suggestions if we head out that way. The pictures of the tulips look amazing, from what I've seen online. But it does sound like most fo the activities are seasonal and we'd be better if we waited until May or June to head out to Holland.

CB 1/01 SSR 12/08 YC-CL 10/11 SSR 11/14 VGF 1/15
Magic Western Caribbean 2/12
Wonder Easter 3/13 Western Caribbean
Fantasy Easter 4/14 Eastern Caribbean
DL PPH-CL 8/13
micheleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #897
ChiCat
DIS Veteran

We are renting a cottage in Douglas for a week this summer, so any recommendations for that area would be greatly appreciated

CBR 9/2011
best trip so far 12/2013
ChiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #898
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

The Douglas, Saugatuck, Holland Grand Haven towns all have nice downtowns. Holland's is the largest by far, but think Saugatuck has the best one. The beaches are the biggest draws to all the towns unless they have a festival going on then there might be more. They are all wonderful places to relax, enjoy the beaches and walk downtown. although there are not a lot of kid friendly places or entertainment.

Holland has Dutch Village which is overpriced but kid things to do - petting farm, cheese making area, swings. DD worked there for 2 summers. You can also go to Windmill Island and see a real Dutch windmill.

All the towns have great places to eat and lots of bars. Not a ton of franchised places, mostly locally owned.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #899
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleq View Post

Well when your daughter gets involved in Hockey you will be in Holland and Traverse City lots.. We always end up in tournaments there. I was in Holland, Traverse City, and muskegon this year.. All 3 of my kids play.. Oh and the best part is if they play little caesars she can get a chance to skate at the Joe... My ds7 is skating there on Sunday.. 8am bright and early!! Gook luck to her.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #900
MickeyCrazedMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Leafs View Post
Well when your daughter gets involved in Hockey you will be in Holland and Traverse City lots.. We always end up in tournaments there. I was in Holland, Traverse City, and muskegon this year.. All 3 of my kids play.. Oh and the best part is if they play little caesars she can get a chance to skate at the Joe... My ds7 is skating there on Sunday.. 8am bright and early!! Gook luck to her.

Does your DS play for the Huskies? I have 2 family members and a friends son on that team and they just played at the Joe yesterday!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: