Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #841
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

I think we've gotten about 4 inches in Zeeland and I thought I heard freezing rain Glad we have no school tomorrow for Pres. Day but both boys have ortho appts.

"Everybody's got a boat upon the ocean, but not everybody's sailing out to sea." K. Loggins
WDWMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #842
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

We are in Wyandotte and we have about 4 inches already or so. It even thundered and Lightened once. Packing up the skiis and heading up to Mt. Holly tomorrow!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #843
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

Well, so far this morning has been less than stellar... Yesterday I got to drive 50+ miles back from my younger son's travel hockey game in Hudsonville at 40-45 MPH with white knuckles most the way. At midnight I was awoken by a knock on the door to tell me we'd lost power. My older son woke me up at 5 AM (he had a 6 AM high school hockey practice) that his van was entombed in ice and he couldn't get in. We frogged around and got the door open, but it would have taken him 30 minutes to get the 1/4" of ice off the windows, so I said I'd drive him in one of the ice-free cars in the garage. After disengaging the garage door opener, and backing the car out, I went to walk back into the garage and instead walked into a half-open garage door (the spring only holds it 1/2 open) and I broke my glasses. To cap it all off, as we're picking up a teammate, my son gets a text message that the practice is canceled!

So now, since school's canceled the rest of my family is sleeping soundly in their beds... and I'm at work. Lovely day, so far.

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #844
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

Bummer for you Geoff. We live about 5 miles west from Hudsonville so I understand your driving pain. It was bad for awhile yesterday.

DD goes to Adrian college and they lost power last night. She called me this morning and is freezing. No food on campus, doesn't have a car and to top it off, she showers at night and power went out before she showered. She's so not a happy camper this morning.

"Everybody's got a boat upon the ocean, but not everybody's sailing out to sea." K. Loggins
Old 02-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #845
JanDave
DIS Veteran

Checking in from Williamstson - between Howell and Lansing. Lots of snow. My car is literally stuck in my driveway. Hoping to get to work sometime today. Stay warm and safe everyone.

Jan
6/29/03; 6/16/05; 10/20/07; 9/14/08; B2B 11/18/10 and 11/21/10

DREAM Cruise: 6/20/12
Upcoming Cruises:
Wonder - 4/27/14; Fantasy - 11/1/14
JanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #846
Geoff_M

WDWmom, fortunately our daughter's going to Michigan Tech, so she's unaffected... though I got a text message from her this morning that she now has her first college boyfriend! I also got lucky in that there was still plenty of hot water in the tank for my shower this morning.

OK, this is funny... I just checked the Consumers Energy web site. I punched in our phone number to see the estimated time of power restoration. It found us, gave the correct street address, and says Wed, 11:30 PM as the "estimate". Just to be sure, I decide to go ahead and officially reported our outage. I punch in the same info and it tells me "Sorry, we cannot locate your account information" message!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #847
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

No power or first boyfriend - bet you're wish you were me this morning

Good luck on getting your power restored soon.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #848
vicb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_M View Post
Well, so far this morning has been less than stellar... Yesterday I got to drive 50+ miles back from my younger son's travel hockey game in Hudsonville at 40-45 MPH with white knuckles most the way. At midnight I was awoken by a knock on the door to tell me we'd lost power. My older son woke me up at 5 AM (he had a 6 AM high school hockey practice) that his van was entombed in ice and he couldn't get in. We frogged around and got the door open, but it would have taken him 30 minutes to get the 1/4" of ice off the windows, so I said I'd drive him in one of the ice-free cars in the garage. After disengaging the garage door opener, and backing the car out, I went to walk back into the garage and instead walked into a half-open garage door (the spring only holds it 1/2 open) and I broke my glasses. To cap it all off, as we're picking up a teammate, my son gets a text message that the practice is canceled!

So now, since school's canceled the rest of my family is sleeping soundly in their beds... and I'm at work. Lovely day, so far.
You have my sympathies!

We never really got any ice here in AA pretty much all snow, heavy snow. I'm estimating 9 inches since we shoveled 4 when we got home from State yesterday and another 5 atleast this morning. So our driveway is clear but not going to risk getting out of our sub just yet.

DH works in Pontiac which is already a 1.25 hour drive under good conditions so he is working from home today and I already had the day off due to holiday.

Sorry to those who lost power. Stay warm!
vicb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #849
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

I drove from Wyandotte to Holly which is usually an hour or so drive and it took me an hour and 40 minutes..

vicb I don't blame your dh for staying home it was crazy out there.. Oakland co. was a lot better than Wayne co. but it was still bad.

Geoff_M I would have killed my kids coach after that.. You are the mom!!! Did your power ever come back on?

I am so dreading the drive home from the ski hill!! Its gonna be yucky out there!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #850
Geoff_M

Still no power as of 6 PM... The house was down to 54 degrees. We left to go eat at Perkins for supper. The waitress guessed that we were electricity refugees when we all ordered coffee/hot chocolate! She said that they were 400+ people over their Monday average! The gas stove still works for a little extra heat and the gas hot water heater is still cranking! We're being mindful of the CO levels and will throw on some more blankets!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #851
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

Adrian College has power back on DD said it was cold in her room but hoping it warms up soon.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #852
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

Glad the power is back on at the school and I hope yours comes back on soon Geoff_M
Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #853
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Sounds like you all have had adventures last 24 hrs or so. I'm not looking forward to drive north if this yuck stuff continues. I had plans to come vist but might just stay put.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #854
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_M View Post
Still no power as of 6 PM... The house was down to 54 degrees. We left to go eat at Perkins for supper. The waitress guessed that we were electricity refugees when we all ordered coffee/hot chocolate! She said that they were 400+ people over their Monday average! The gas stove still works for a little extra heat and the gas hot water heater is still cranking! We're being mindful of the CO levels and will throw on some more blankets!
DD originally heard Wed and power was back today, so hopefully you will be as lucky. Stay warm.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #855
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire14 View Post
Sounds like you all have had adventures last 24 hrs or so. I'm not looking forward to drive north if this yuck stuff continues. I had plans to come vist but might just stay put.
If you're thinking about coming up near Holland, I'd stay home. Pretty crappy around here and cold.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: