Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #61
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghansMommy View Post
I'm pretty sure that Somerset North does too, unless that has recently changed.

Sadly, that one closed too.

The one at Great Lakes crossing is about twice the size of the normal mall Disney store and they always have a large clearance section too. It's listed as a Disney Outlet mall in the directory but I don't see anything 'outlet' about it. They have all the current stuff that is at other Disney stores and their sign on the store just says "THE DISNEY STORE"

That and Rainforest Cafe are the highlight of our GLC trips.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #62
MeghansMommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwfan View Post
It is closed also...
Bummer.

Snowed by #1hockeymom and mfd25wife Shiny Balled by #1hockeymom
Randy laid there like a slug. It was his only defense.
MeghansMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #63
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

There are 4 Disney stores left in michigan according to this website:
http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp...Id=-1&state=MI

Sterling Heights
Auburn Hills
Grandville
Taylor
Old 09-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #64
loco4dis
DIS Veteran

Hey, did anyone see the Detroit PBS documentary "Motor City Celebrities" the other night? It highlighted Jack Kelly and Marilyn Turner and "Kelly & Company." I used to watch that morning show all the time, and even went to be in the audience once with my girlfriends I guess in the early 1980s.

All their talk about the old news guys — Bill Bonds, Ray Lane, Jac LeGoff, Al Ackerman, Jerry Hodak, Jack McCarthy, and Doris Biscoe — brought back so many memories from the 1970s of hearing my dad yell at the TV. "Shut up, Bonds, you worthless drunk! What the he*& do you know?"

And who doesn't remember watching the Rita Bell Prize Movie when you stayed home sick from school? For me, that was the absolute highlight of the very rare sick day I was allowed to have. I got my love of old movies from Rita Bell. To this day, I can vividly remember watching some particular ones, and thinking, "This has got to be the greatest movie ever made. Do people know about these movies?"

In particular Rita Bell turned me into a Natalie Wood freak by about age 13, and none of my friends in the 70s even knew who she was. The films Rita introduced me to that I have never forgotten — and have watched dozens of times since: This Property is Condemned (Natalie Wood, Robert Redford); Gypsy (Natalie Wood, Rosalind Russell); Splendor in the Grass (Natalie Wood, Warren Beatty).

I have never enjoyed a film as much as I enjoyed discovering those on my parents couch home alone sick from school, watching Rita Bell and her ringing phone. Oooh, I need a sick day like that again.
loco4dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #65
wardfamily1

Remember Bill Kennedy "at the movies" I remember when I was 4 I had to go take a nap while mom watched Bill Kennedy.

Also the 4:00 movie. I remember watching Roots on the 4:00 movie, I was too young to stay up late and watch it when it was on prime time.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #66
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

yup, i remember rita bell...and bill kennedy..

i guess no one remembers captain jolly or poopdeck paul....

i think they were actually windsor shows, but we grew up on them too...

and milky the clown from the twin pines dairy...

and speaking of twin pines....did you get bottles of milk delivered to your house every day? we did....
Old 09-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #67
loco4dis
DIS Veteran

How about "Patches and Pockets"? Anyone remember watching that clown show before school in the mornings (this would be late 1960s/early 70s)? I think it was Canadian, too. I looooved it.

And while everyone else had Bozo, we had Oopsie the Clown. Remember him?
Old 09-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #68
loco4dis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
yup, i remember rita bell...and bill kennedy..

i guess no one remembers captain jolly or poopdeck paul....

i think they were actually windsor shows, but we grew up on them too...

and milky the clown from the twin pines dairy...

and speaking of twin pines....did you get bottles of milk delivered to your house every day? we did....
I lived in Livonia for a short time as a kid (like 1966-68). The milkman there sold Bub Daddy bubble gum (the really long round sticks) out of the back of his truck for 5 cents.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #69
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

i love this link - look through the series of pictures (scroll down)..
you'll see the hudson's building being demolished...

http://www.angelfire.com/de2/detroitpix/hudson_1.html

i remember that flag on the hudson's building..
and i remember the kern block...most of those buildings no longer exist..

instead of blowing up hudsons they should have blown up the rest of detroit and started from scratch....
Old 09-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #70
Pinnie
Working a Dream Job
DVC Member: Beach Club Villas
"Shut up, smile and wear beige"

I loved Rita Bell and Prize Movie, too. I agree that she took the sting out of sick days along with Bill Kennedy. I remember watching The Heiress with Olivia deHavland and my mom letting me stay home an extra day so I could catch the ending. It is still my favorite movie.

Anyone remember the old LIVING show? It was with Ed Allan, Carol Duvall and Lorainne Babcock. Lorainne had a kind of "dear abby" show and always ended with "And I will always be sincerely yours." I went to a Catholic school on the west side of Detroit (St. Suzanne's) and we always had the Holy Days of Obligation off. One year on November 1, my mom took me and my brother on a bus (Joy road) to the show and we won prizes!

Anyone remember the Christmas decorations at the downtown Hudson's, the ford routunda, Rouge park pools?

pinnie
Old 09-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #71
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

we went to see the decorations at the rotunda until they tore it down...

i remember that hudsons so well....even though i went there when i was a very little girl...
the elevators had real people operating them....with that gated door...and then the regular door....
strange that i can remember that so very clearly so very many years later...

and yes i remember oopsie the clown...what channel was that on?

who was the monster on the soupie sales show?...there was a monster of some kind but i can't remember what it was....i don't think we ever saw him...i think we only heard him...

ok....so i'm editing this post ....i just looked up soupy sales in wikipedia....he started in detroit in the 50's (when i was in nursery school) and then moved to LA in the 60's...
and the 'monster' was a dog named white fang - but all that appeared was a paw....
funny how the memory of a very little kid works...
Old 09-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #72
Pinnie
Working a Dream Job
DVC Member: Beach Club Villas
"Shut up, smile and wear beige"

I think soupy had white fang and black tooth.

Anyone remember Jonny Ginger? I watched him in the mornings. We used to have a Twin Pines milkman that put our milk in our milk chute.

pinnie
Old 09-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #73
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

oh yeah...Johnny Ginger ...i remember him too.....i guess i must have watched way too much tv as a kid
Old 09-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #74
MickeyCrazedMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky's Girl View Post
It's a beautiful day today. We're heading over to the Big Bear Lodge in Brownstown to celebrate our bf's 35th wedding anniversary.

That is 1/2 mile from my house!!!!

I am up for a dismeet at 12 oaks or GLC. 12 Oaks would be alot closer, but it would totally give me an excuse to head to GLC!!!! Of course, I will probably be coming with at least 2 of the 3 kids, so you may not want me there!!!!

BTW- there is a Disney store at Southland in Taylor. I visit it weekly!
Old 09-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #75
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanDave View Post
Hello Neighbors!

DH and I both grew up in Dearborn - I'm a Fordson grad and he's a Dearborn grad. We raised our family in Woodhaven and Allen Park a/k/a downriver. We have lived in the Lansing area since late 1992. We are frequently in the Dearborn and downriver area visiting friends and relatives and DH works (or primarily laid off this year) at the Ford Truck Plant in Wayne.

I thought KK would never resign because of his ego. I had to listen to his "farewell" speech and it sounded like he was on a campaign. But, of course, he said he'll be back.

Coleman ran the city into disrepair. Archer never had a chance to bring it back. KK wasted taxpayers' money. What a sad comentary about our beloved Motor City.

Do any of you, or are any of you old enough, remember Lou Gordon on channbel 50 with his rants on Jerome Cavanagh? This was in the 60s.

Yeah MSU!!!!! My DH was there and has season tickets.

Enjoy this beautiful weekend.

Jan

I remember Lou Gordon (I wasn't interested in what he was saying, though), Rita Bell's Prize Movie, Sir Graves ghastley, and The Ghoul.

Sanders Hot Fudge is the most wonderful food in the entire world, and I just found a jar in the back of my pantry!!

DH graduated from Catholic Central in 1972 and MSU in 1976.. I graduated from Trenton High School in 1976 and UMD in 1983.

Also visited the Rotunda Christmas decorations until it burned. Then there were some animatronic decorations at a band shell in Lincoln Park that we started going to . Hudson's 7th floor was the best at Christmas.

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: