Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #196
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Fantasia* View Post
Hello cabanafrau I forgot to add to my favorite places in Michigan, it's Frankenmuth. Fugde is good there too! We like staying in Zhender's Splash Village. They have an indoor waterpark. It's nice that they have a lazy river and an area for And while at Frankenmuth, we also visit Birch Run where the outlet stores are.

Anyone else have any favorite places to visit in Michigan? I would like to see Holland in May. They have Tulip festival every May.

It's not that special. I live one town over. It's more of a senior citizen kind of festival. DD works at Dutch Village and it's $12 to get in just to see a few tulips (OK a few thousand) and learn about 2 minutes of Dutch history.

"Everybody's got a boat upon the ocean, but not everybody's sailing out to sea." K. Loggins
WDWMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #197
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

Our favorite places to visit are

Petosky and Habor Springs
Mackinac Island
Grand Haven (we are only about 30 away)

"Everybody's got a boat upon the ocean, but not everybody's sailing out to sea." K. Loggins
WDWMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #198
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekajekalynn View Post
Did anyone else go to this years Ren Fest in Holly?
The weekends have been so busy this year that I missed it. I intended to go, does that count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanDave View Post
Hello Everyone!

Dave and I are flying out of Detroit on Friday for WDW and our much awaited Disney Cruise Line cruise.

Jan
Enjoy your trip!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #199
NMAmy
Can speak food in German
He seemed so normal when I met him
It's not like I'm getting any special sanitation type service
I'm old school-I like my cartoon rodents to be mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrh_disney_queen View Post
Then we went to this little museum kind of place, where they had babies in jars at different stages of developement..from a tiny little sac, all the way up to a full term still born. I still shudder from that memory..
I did this on a field trip, too, and it's a very vivid memory for me. My mom cans whole chickens in glass jars and I told her to stop giving them to me because it just looks too much like one of the babies in a jar.

Quote:
I did. Every year we meet up with my sister, my nephew, and my great nephew there. (They live in the Detroit area.) I have to admit that the whole reason I go is for the apple dumplings. My sister goes for the turkey legs. Blech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1hockeymom View Post
I usually avoid it, but I did give five different car loads of people directions to it who were wandering around the village! Special hint. The renaissance festival is NOT in the Village of Holly! It is out on Dixie. *small village rant over!*
hockeymom, you'll be glad to know that I took 75 to the Dixie Highway. No tooling around in Holly for us.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #200
#1hockeymom
Wants to DRIVE the zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAmy View Post
hockeymom, you'll be glad to know that I took 75 to the Dixie Highway. No tooling around in Holly for us.
Good job! Its not that we don't enjoy visitors, its just every weekend we end up with tons of people driving aimlessly around, running stop signs and stuff.

He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
#1hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #201
1gr8mouse
My teens slow me down at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrh_disney_queen View Post
Battle Creek is a mixed feeling for me. When I was in Girl Scouts, our troop went up to Kellogg's, which was so cool. Then we went to this little museum kind of place, where they had babies in jars at different stages of developement..from a tiny little sac, all the way up to a full term still born. I still shudder from that memory..
Kelloggs doesnt have tours any more........ At the end of the tour they gave you a bowl of ice cream with cereal sprinkled on it!!!!

You went to Kingman Museum.....its still there......everyone remembers the babies.... All the elementary schools in the area still go there (5th grade I think). The place looks like the Haunted Mansion at MK (sort of).
It is located in a very large park with big hills for sledding.....We used to go there with the kids.

You need to go to Binder Park Zoo....it is a great zoo to spend the day at...
(exit 100 on I94). Last time at Animal Kingdom we watched the show "birds of flight" and we spoke to one of the handlers there......she worked at Binder for 2 years......
1gr8mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #202
1gr8mouse
My teens slow me down at WDW

Norhtern photos

Colors werent totally changed but it was still awesome up north......It did rain off and on.

1gr8mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #203
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

Thanks for the pictures. I used to live in Oscoda, I moved back down to the Detroit area in 1999. I do miss the colors up there.

Random Michigan thought:
In 1993 when I lived in Oscoda there was a freak snowstorm on September 30th. I actually went snowmobiling in September! Of course the snow melted the next day but it's still a fun story to tell.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #204
MickeyCrazedMom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the pics UJ! ALthough there is alot to complain about, we do live in a beautiful state!

Back to the complaining - this weather stinks! We went to turn our heat on yesterday and the furnace won't kick on. Only 8 years old, have no idea what the prob is?!

UJ - Nice job to be hanging out at Cabelas! We are about 30-40 min from there. You were closer to me when you were at the airport!!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #205
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

Quote:
Yep. Went with some friends visiting from Wisconsin. It was the day we were eventually hit by hurricane Ike and it poured like the Dickens. We still had a good time. DH whupped the performers in "bunny fencing".

I did have to do a little tooling around Holly, but no more than I do on my average daily trip to work.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #206
travelbug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardfamily1 View Post
I used to live in Oscoda
That's a neat area! A friend of mine owns a cottage up there on Van Etten Lake, and she invites me up there sometimes. Things have sure changed up there since the air base closed and the military cleared out. Not bad or anything, just different. I love poking around in the small towns up there, being so close to Lake Huron, and generally enjoying the outdoors. Hmmm, I'll have to hint around to my friend that it's about time to go back up there.
2005 - Feb.-BCV & POFQ; Mar.-BWV & SSR
2006 - Feb.-BWV & ASMo; Apr.-BCV; Nov.-BCV
2007 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Grand Cayman (DVC pts.)
2008 - Jan.-BCV; Dec.-BWV; 2009 - Apr.-SSR
2010 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Cabo San Lucas (DVC pts.), Dec.-BWV
2012 - Feb.-AKV; Apr.-BWV; Dec.-BWV & BCV
2013 - June-Aulani; 2014 - Jan.-BWV
2015 - Jan.-BCV & BWV
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #207
BrerMom

My hero, zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gr8mouse View Post
Kelloggs doesnt have tours any more........ At the end of the tour they gave you a bowl of ice cream with cereal sprinkled on it!!!!

You went to Kingman Museum.....its still there......everyone remembers the babies.... All the elementary schools in the area still go there (5th grade I think). The place looks like the Haunted Mansion at MK (sort of).
It is located in a very large park with big hills for sledding.....We used to go there with the kids.

You need to go to Binder Park Zoo....it is a great zoo to spend the day at...
(exit 100 on I94). Last time at Animal Kingdom we watched the show "birds of flight" and we spoke to one of the handlers there......she worked at Binder for 2 years......
Careful!! During the "Double the Zoo" campaign, Binder Park consulted with Disney to build the new section. That's how we ended up taking a Disney vacation. We were greeted with "Jambo!" before our safari jeep transported us to a different time zone , started walking along the path, saw the giraffes, made more comparisons with AK, recognized the "feel" of AK, and started innocently enough with, "what if we could find some cheap airfare??" And you're right, Disney recruits heavily from Binder Park for AK, or so we're told.

p.s.: love the photos!

Everybody's got the right to be different even though at times they go to extremes.
Aim for what you want a lot - Everybody gets a shot. Everybody's got a right to their dreams...

Everybody's got the right to some sunshine Not the sun but maybe one of its beams. One of its beams.
Rich man, poor man, black or white, pick your apple, take a bite,
Everybody just hold tight to your dreams. Everybody's got the right to their dreams...
BrerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:51 PM   #208
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyCrazedMom View Post
Thanks for the pics UJ! ALthough there is alot to complain about, we do live in a beautiful state!

Back to the complaining - this weather stinks! We went to turn our heat on yesterday and the furnace won't kick on. Only 8 years old, have no idea what the prob is?!

UJ - Nice job to be hanging out at Cabelas! We are about 30-40 min from there. You were closer to me when you were at the airport!!!!
We do live in a beautiful state.. I'm just not into downtown Detroit, but Chicago. Our furnace is about 3 years old or so.. and our furnace is not working, we had someone come to look at it, it's the motor that blows the air.. blah. he said it would be about $700, but will give us a discount of about $100 if we go with their company to get a new motor. We're calling next week! It is getting a bit too cold in the house, especially early in the morning!

I do love fall in Michigan!!
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #209
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseclick1 View Post
We were in Ann Arbor yesterday and saw U of M beat Wisconsin. Holy cow was that an amazing second half!
I don't live in Michigan (in fact I'm a Wisconsinite!) but my dad went to UM for law school so I'm a Wolverine fan. So awesome that UM beat Bucky! We were at the UM-UW game in 2006 and that was fun. I've also been to a few other Michigan games including their last 2 Rose Bowls and the Capital One Bowl this year.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #210
wardfamily1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
That's a neat area! A friend of mine owns a cottage up there on Van Etten Lake, and she invites me up there sometimes. Things have sure changed up there since the air base closed and the military cleared out. Not bad or anything, just different. I love poking around in the small towns up there, being so close to Lake Huron, and generally enjoying the outdoors. Hmmm, I'll have to hint around to my friend that it's about time to go back up there.
I lived about 5 miles north of the Air Base, I'd have to pass it every day to get to work.

I used to go to Air Force Beach there on Van Etten Lake. I'd go fishing there too but not much luck for that. The best place for fishing was on the AuSable river by the River Queen. HUGE Large Mouth bass over there.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: