Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #136
MidgeD79
DIS Veteran

I'm in for 10 am at GLC on November 15! Where exactly will we meet?

I was a guest on Kelly&Company around '87 to speak about prenatal testing and its accuracy. Unfortunatly, my testing was accurate and Rebekah dies 14 hours after she was born (spina bifida and diaphragmatic hernia). Marilyn Turner was very nice and she complemented my outfit that I had designed. It was a great experience albeit a sad one.
I remember going to Hudsons for lunch and ordering a maurice sald and shopping in Lincoln Park and going to Sanders afterwards. My last trip to Boblo was about 18 years ago and that boat ride was scary!
MidgeD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:24 AM   #137
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardfamily1 View Post
Hey LOG, seems we have more in common than our love of politics. As for buying in Indian Village, I would say it would depend on the reasoning for buying it. If you are looking for an investment, I think the only way I could see it paying off is if you were willing to sit on it for about 8 to 10 years, but during that time you would be paying non-homestead taxes on the property. The economy would need to be hit by lightning in order for it to pay off any sooner. The line of work I'm in appraises homes in the surrounding Detroit area and values dropped 8-10 percent on average and they WILL drop again during assessing time this Feb, predictions from the local assessing office is another 5-7 percent. But on the upside, Indian village is full of history and is a beautiful section of Detroit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrHawk View Post

As for buying Detroit property, well, the city is beginning a sort of Renaissance. For those of us who grew up around here in the 80's it's a 180 degree turn around, but there is still much work to be done. As others have said, if you're interested in investing in property downtown you'd best be in for the long haul.
Thanks for the opinions. Indian Village would definitely something that we would consider for the long haul. About 5 years ago, while we were living in New York, my wife and I restored and sold a historic investment property here in Florida and found it to be a rewarding experience, both historically and financially. The homes in Indian Village give us that same feeling, albeit in a far less hot market. I just can't get over the fact that these huge, gorgeous properties are so inexpensive. I mean, from some of the prices that we've seen, we could pay cash for a few of them. We're definitely keeping our eye on that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
they've only been reassessed down by 10%?.....then they are WAY over-valued...
even if they go down another 7% they'll be way over valued.

go into any suburban neighborhood....
how can you have 10 houses for sale on one block for extended periods of time and claim their value has only dropped by 10%?....you can't even give them away....i doubt you could pay someone to take them....

my first inclination of how very bad things were was a year or 2 ago, i was coming in from the airport heading to my sister's office in troy....the taxi driver exited I-75 at 14 mile road and drove up stephenson highway towards Maple road.....
every single office building on both sides of the road was empty....empty....deserted....ghostbuilding...
big, tall, beautiful buildings, like the typical troy office building....all empty...
i sat there with my face glued to the window, jaw on the floor....

i came into my sister's office and said , "what happened?"...

i can't say i'd buy any real estate for investment purposes anywhere near a place in that sort of economic depression...

We were up in Royal Oak for a residential property auction earlier in the year (of the burnt down, boarded up variety) and noticed the same. We've actually milled over buying some commercial space as well and moving some of our company's manufacturing up to the area. We haven't had the time to really look into the benefits of opening a satellite workroom other than real estate costs. It's probably something that we should revisit. I know that here in Florida, the state of Michigan is putting on the full court press as far as getting out of state corporations to move operations north.

As a kid, I remember the area being so robust, and even those the area's fallen on hard times, there are so many wonderful areas that still remain. With a large part of her family still living in the suburbs of Detroit, it's definitely a big draw for my wife and me.
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2008, 06:51 AM   #138
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
they've only been reassessed down by 10%?.....then they are WAY over-valued...
even if they go down another 7% they'll be way over valued.

go into any suburban neighborhood....
how can you have 10 houses for sale on one block for extended periods of time and claim their value has only dropped by 10%?....you can't even give them away....i doubt you could pay someone to take them....

my first inclination of how very bad things were was a year or 2 ago, i was coming in from the airport heading to my sister's office in troy....the taxi driver exited I-75 at 14 mile road and drove up stephenson highway towards Maple road.....
every single office building on both sides of the road was empty....empty....deserted....ghostbuilding...
big, tall, beautiful buildings, like the typical troy office building....all empty...
i sat there with my face glued to the window, jaw on the floor....

i came into my sister's office and said , "what happened?"...

i can't say i'd buy any real estate for investment purposes anywhere near a place in that sort of economic depression...
They've only gone down because the ACTUAL value of the home has decreased. Unfortunately, all the foreclosures you see around here aren't taken into consideration when the assessor does his assessments. I guess that's a good thing too because of our Headly Amendment and Proposal A, our taxes would drop so drastically that the cities wouldn't be able to function.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 AM   #139
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgeD79 View Post
I'm in for 10 am at GLC on November 15! Where exactly will we meet?

I was a guest on Kelly&Company around '87 to speak about prenatal testing and its accuracy. Unfortunatly, my testing was accurate and Rebekah dies 14 hours after she was born (spina bifida and diaphragmatic hernia). Marilyn Turner was very nice and she complemented my outfit that I had designed. It was a great experience albeit a sad one.
I remember going to Hudsons for lunch and ordering a maurice sald and shopping in Lincoln Park and going to Sanders afterwards. My last trip to Boblo was about 18 years ago and that boat ride was scary!
In the food court, the end down by the carousel. It's quieter down there, the other end has all the kiddie rides.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #140
Lars624
Riddle Goddess
LOVES Cookie Monster
Those aren't typos, I'm bilingual.....
In all truth I'm quite DIS-organized

Quote:
In the food court, the end down by the carousel. It's quieter down there, the other end has all the kiddie rides.
Count me in.....DH & 12y/o DS too
Old 09-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #141
wardfamily1

Here's the list so far (this list is also in the first post)

DIS Meet at Great Lakes Crossing Food Court
November 15th, 2008 - 10am

wardfamily1
Ricky's Girl
MidgeD79
Lars624

Old 09-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #142
Kimmielee
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was thereUncle Larry can do anything!

Quote:

wardfamily1
Ricky's Girl
MidgeD79
Lars624
Count us in... my DS (9) and I would love to meet y'all.

Kimmielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #143
JanDave
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrh_disney_queen View Post
My mom worked for the Woodhaven School District as a secretary from 1970-1980(?)

My kids were at Yake School during that time frame. Becky was one of the school secretaries there. Dominic Palazzolo was the principal.

Jan
6/29/03; 6/16/05; 10/20/07; 9/14/08; B2B 11/18/10 and 11/21/10; 4/27/14, 11/9/14

Dream: 6/20/12
Fantasy: 11/1/14

Upcoming Cruise: Panama Canal 5/1/15
JanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #144
JanDave
DIS Veteran

Quote:

wardfamily1
Ricky's Girl
MidgeD79
Lars624
Count us in!
6/29/03; 6/16/05; 10/20/07; 9/14/08; B2B 11/18/10 and 11/21/10; 4/27/14, 11/9/14

Old 09-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #145
wardfamily1

wardfamily1
Ricky's Girl
MidgeD79
Lars624
Kimmielee
JanDave

Starting tomorrow, I will update the list once a day, as needed.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #146
MickeyCrazedMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanDave View Post
My kids were at Yake School during that time frame. Becky was one of the school secretaries there. Dominic Palazzolo was the principal.

Jan
My son just started Kindergarten at Yake! Go Gators!!!!

PS - It is now the Woodhaven-Brownstown School District
Old 09-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #147
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugh O. Grams View Post
Thanks for the opinions. Indian Village would definitely something that we would consider for the long haul. About 5 years ago, while we were living in New York, my wife and I restored and sold a historic investment property here in Florida and found it to be a rewarding experience, both historically and financially. The homes in Indian Village give us that same feeling, albeit in a far less hot market. I just can't get over the fact that these huge, gorgeous properties are so inexpensive. I mean, from some of the prices that we've seen, we could pay cash for a few of them. We're definitely keeping our eye on that area.

We were up in Royal Oak for a residential property auction earlier in the year (of the burnt down, boarded up variety) and noticed the same. We've actually milled over buying some commercial space as well and moving some of our company's manufacturing up to the area. We haven't had the time to really look into the benefits of opening a satellite workroom other than real estate costs. It's probably something that we should revisit. I know that here in Florida, the state of Michigan is putting on the full court press as far as getting out of state corporations to move operations north.

As a kid, I remember the area being so robust, and even those the area's fallen on hard times, there are so many wonderful areas that still remain. With a large part of her family still living in the suburbs of Detroit, it's definitely a big draw for my wife and me.
that would be great if you moved your company to michigan..

is michigan offering tax breaks? if i were the state, i'd make some very long term tax break offers (at least 10 years or so)....the cost of moving a company to a new state requires at least that...

certainly other costs are going to be lower in michigan....relative to other states, real estates costs are much lower....and wages are lower than some......

Royal Oak is actually a great area.....it's come back in recent years....sort of a birmingham wannabe, but in an interesting way...
and there are some really nice houses there....
if you can get a good deal on a house there, it's probably a good investment...i'm not so sure about detroit....

by the way, there are other neighborhoods in detroit with the most gorgeous mansions you can possibly imagine....or at least there were...i wonder what happened to them...i can't remember the streets...
i'll go look it up to see if i can find them...and of course there was palmer woods....but further over there were a couple of streets with incredible mansions....maybe around 6 mile?...or maybe further downtown.....chicago st?...boston blvd?....something like that...
i wonder if there are people living there or if it's bombed out like the rest of detroit....
oh wow - i'm coming back in to post this...
look at this incredible house designed by albert kahn in the boston-edison area:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/Michigan...IPUOJW_nDnMrQs

looking at the price of that one, if indian village is only $150,000, it's probably not that bad a bet...since it's on the east side (isn't it?) ...that's probably the safer bet to make in detroit....northern detroit certainly isn't...

Quote:
They've only gone down because the ACTUAL value of the home has decreased. Unfortunately, all the foreclosures you see around here aren't taken into consideration when the assessor does his assessments. I guess that's a good thing too because of our Headly Amendment and Proposal A, our taxes would drop so drastically that the cities wouldn't be able to function.
i know....my mom's going crazy over the taxes she pays on her house....it is soooooooooooooo overvalued for tax assessment purposes...

a house down the street from her was foreclosed (we're talking bloomfield hills - how obscene is that??).....it was finally sold by the bank for less than half the tax assessment value.....less than half!!!.....she's livid....
she wants to sell and get out mainly because of the insane property taxes she's paying .....

by the way, why was that house foreclosed? the people who owned it bought another house and walked away from the old one....left it to the bank....it's amazingly not illegal to do that....nothing the bank can do to them since the house itself was the collateral....so they bought a new house and walked away from the old one...unbelievable...
the only thing that's affected is their credit rating and they didn't care...
unbelievable....

Last edited by disneyholic family; 09-24-2008 at 04:49 AM.
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #148
JanDave
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyCrazedMom View Post
My son just started Kindergarten at Yake! Go Gators!!!!

PS - It is now the Woodhaven-Brownstown School District
It certainly is a small world! I recently gave my kids their "Gatorgrams". They were given out on Fridays for good work, behavior, etc. I was on PTO for several years and helped out in K and 1st grades when my kids were there.

Jan

Old 09-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #149
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

Quote:
that would be great if you moved your company to michigan..

is michigan offering tax breaks? if i were the state, i'd make some very long term tax break offers (at least 10 years or so)....the cost of moving a company to a new state requires at least that...
Heard a bit of good news yesterday (or the day before). AT&T announced they are opening a call center in Detroit and adding 300 jobs. The interesting part is that they said the calls the center will handle are currently handled overseas. I've previously read with all of the professional wage inflation in places like India, a lot of companies are seeing the cost savings dwindle when it comes to work they've moved overseas. Let's hope this isn't an isolated announcement.

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #150
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

Smile Places you like to visit in Michigan.

Hello Michiganders... from your fellow Michigander!

What places do you like visiting in Michigan when not going out of state for a vacation?

My favorite is the Mackinac Island/Mackinac City. I also like going to Traverse City. As far as the beach, I like going to Ludington.
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: