Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Frustrated. Breach of etiquette.

I am in the worst mood ever, woke up that way after a rough night with no sleep. We just moved in this past Thursday, and the house is a mess! I have a 7 month old, so I am covered in spit up and a mess. We haven't unpacked since we worked Friday, and we've spent all morning painting. New neighbors keep popping by to welcome us to the neighborhood. I think t is really kind and sweet, but I've not been inviting anyone in because I am frankly, embarrassed by the disaster area that is my home. I'm a mess, the house s a mess, and it's not a good time for company. My husband thinks they are all going to find me incredibly rude or not inviting them in on a cold day, but I'm horrified at the state of the mess. Please tell me the neighbors are not all going to hate me.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDumbo View Post
I am in the worst mood ever, woke up that way after a rough night with no sleep. We just moved in this past Thursday, and the house is a mess! I have a 7 month old, so I am covered in spit up and a mess. We haven't unpacked since we worked Friday, and we've spent all morning painting. New neighbors keep popping by to welcome us to the neighborhood. I think t is really kind and sweet, but I've not been inviting anyone in because I am frankly, embarrassed by the disaster area that is my home. I'm a mess, the house s a mess, and it's not a good time for company. My husband thinks they are all going to find me incredibly rude or not inviting them in on a old day, but I'm horrified at the state of the mess. Please tell me the neighbors are no all going to hate me.
They should understand!

I can't imagine them not understanding. I would let DH handle it with these conditions. Stand guard at the door, thank them for dropping by, and do not let anyone in! Nothing wrong with that at all.

On one hand people would expect the house to be messy just moving in. But you have a baby and the transition is bigger! You aren't rude! You aren't feeling tip top and you are taking care of a baby on top of all else.

I don't think it's an etiquette thing. You have to take care of yourself!

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Just kindly and firmly tell them that with the move and the baby, you're just not ready for company. Thank them for coming and tell them you plan to see them again in a couple weeks. Then do it. Good neighbors are more valuable than gold.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

When you are more settled make it a point to invite them for coffee. Written note invite in heir mailbox, leave your phone number, etc. and come right out and say you were feeling overwhelmed when you moved in and hoped they would understand and 'start fresh'. It will be fine.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
disykat
DIS Veteran

No! IMO, they are not expecting to be invited in! They want to stop by and welcome you - not inconvenience you! They understand that you are in the middle of a move. Just smile, thank them, and get back to your baby.

Don't do anything that sounds like you are turning them away, you're not, you're just not inviting them in.

If you want to sound inviting, just say you're looking forward to getting to know them when you're settled in.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
skatalite
Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?

I agree with your husband, only because no one else is.

skatalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
Friend of a Mouse
Braille: To touch words and have them touch you back

Somebody just moved to our neighborhood and we greeted them when the moved in. We simply said hi to them while they were outside their house. At no point did we expect the to invite us in, and nor did they. But that is how things work in my area.

I wish I had your problem All my interaction with my neighbors ahs been real quick greetings if we happen to be in our yards at the same time. Therefore I don't know anybody's names. I wish people had come to introduce themselves when we moved in and then I might know my neighbors better.

If you're concerned about feeling rude, you might want to just say, "I'm sorry, I'd invite you in, but we are still unpacking".

Worked for the Mouse: 2004-2007 (Attractions and Entertainment) Polynesian with family: 2004, 2005, 2007 POFQ and Disney Cruise with family: 2006 POFQ Honeymoon: 2010

Book Challenge 2014 /52. Currently reading: Cain's Blood by Geoffrey Girard
Finished: Night Broken by Patricia Briggs Project Cain by Geoffrey Girard Independent Study by Joelle Charboneau The Customer Rules by Lee Cockerell
Friend of a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
I agree with your husband, only because no one else is.

I wonder if DH had the same conditions (right down the the spit up on the shirt) as the OP if he would be so light footed and breezy about it.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

If I were dropping off food to welcome new neighbors, I would not expect to be invited in. I would quickly introduce myself, give you my dish and leave. I would hope people understand that you are putting your house together and not up for company. As others have said, you can socialize at a later time, especially when the spring comes around and more people are outdoors.
anniemae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

I do not see an etiquette breach at all. If you do not want company...I would simply blame the baby. . I would even go so far as putting up a note on the door indictating that the baby is taking a much-needed nap!

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!

Last edited by clh2; 01-05-2014 at 09:08 PM.
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
mumto3girls
DIS Veteran

I have taken food to new neighbors and never expected to be invited in. To me, the point of the food is to make a stressful, busy time a bit easier on them, Not to create more work and distraction when they are obviously busy. I can't imagine anyone holding that against you. I would be friendly next time I saw any of the neighbors and would send a nice thank you mentioning I was looking forward to getting to know everyone.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #12
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I always bring over some treat to welcome in the new neighbors. The last one told me we were the only ones that bothered to introduce ourselves. They are really nice neighbors and I can see them being friends.
And I never expected them to invite me in when I first stopped over.
So no worries. Sounds like they are anxious to make friends!
Enjoy your new neighborhood,

Last edited by java; 01-05-2014 at 07:23 PM.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post

I wonder if DH had the same conditions (right down the the spit up on the shirt) as the OP if he would be so light footed and breezy about it.
Right? He actually told me I looked like I'd been standing under a tree full of pigeons. It's less funny when it's YOU.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

I agree with the other posters. When I stop to see a new neighbor I want to know what I can do for them; not what they can do for me!! When things settle invite them for coffee. It will be fine, enjoy your new house and it sounds like you have welcoming neighbors.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #15
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

One of my neighbors kept stopping by for days after we moved in to meet us. I had a 4 year old and a 9 month old.

I finally got fed up, asked her in and asked if she could babysit for 2 hours so I could at least get the kitchen unpacked.

She backed out of the house carefully saying she had to be somewhere soon but wanted to stop by and actually meet me.
My husband wasn't home - he had gone back to work - it was just me trying to deal with the kids and unpacking.

I was kind of disappointed that she didn't help or at least recommend a good local babysitter. Oh and she didn't stop by again - I invited her over about a month later when we were mostly unpacked and organized.

I would think you are doing great - don't worry. Once you are unpacked, you can slowly get to know your new neighbors.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: