Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
MJ6987
DIS Veteran

How do you pay for DVC?

Hi,
I am thinking of buying into DVC but I wondered what the best way to pay the initial buy in and annual dues would be.

My preferred method (for ease) would be to pay via my American Express credit card - but would I incur charges?

When I bought park tickets in dollars from various U.S. companies (e.g. Undercovertourist, Universal, SeaWorld) and I didn't incur any charges on those (and got a good rate)

Thanks,
Matthew
MJ6987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
jharrowell
Disney Phreak

I paid using my Mastercard (actually half off one Mastercard and half off a Visa Card as I couldn't put all the money on one) and didn't get any charges so you'll prolly be ok.

One thing to check though is your daily limit. We had to do it in 4 transactions (2 per card) on two consecutive days because the card wouldn't let us use the full amount in one day.

As to annual dues, we opened a Suntrust account at the local branch (in DTD near SSR) and pay it monthly. otherwise yo have to pay it all up front at the begining of the year.

The monthly payments are easier (I'm notoriously bad at saving) and having a US debit card (it's a VISA debit card, so good in all of Disney )is very handy when on vacation. I just transfer my spending money onto it (hopefully during a time with a good rate) and get about $100 in cash for tips, tolls, etc.

They're pretty secure too as SunTrust de-activate our cards when we're not in the country (we just phone up a couple of days prior to arriving and say we'll be in the States from X to Y).

No messing with traveller's cheques or running up the CC bill.

Follow my twitters for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at:
http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen
jharrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
MrsJobba1
I swoon @ the very mention of his name
Pirate Grabber
Captain Inquisitive
Has impeccable timing

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrowell View Post
I paid using my Mastercard (actually half off one Mastercard and half off a Visa Card as I couldn't put all the money on one) and didn't get any charges so you'll prolly be ok.

One thing to check though is your daily limit. We had to do it in 4 transactions (2 per card) on two consecutive days because the card wouldn't let us use the full amount in one day.

As to annual dues, we opened a Suntrust account at the local branch (in DTD near SSR) and pay it monthly. otherwise yo have to pay it all up front at the begining of the year.

The monthly payments are easier (I'm notoriously bad at saving) and having a US debit card (it's a VISA debit card, so good in all of Disney )is very handy when on vacation. I just transfer my spending money onto it (hopefully during a time with a good rate) and get about $100 in cash for tips, tolls, etc.

They're pretty secure too as SunTrust de-activate our cards when we're not in the country (we just phone up a couple of days prior to arriving and say we'll be in the States from X to Y).

No messing with traveller's cheques or running up the CC bill.
Hi,

I've been a dvc member since 1999 -we have always used our Nationwide CC to pay .

However I am really interested in the post above and the info on opening a bank account. Paying by DD would be really good. Its hard after christmas paying out the Annual dues a couple of weeks later.

Could I ask how easy was it to set up? - did you just walk into the bank when you were in the Usa?

Thanks

MrsJobba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: