Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #151
clarabelle
Pandas don't seem to have much of a survival instinct
What happens after the poo is picked up?

Keep going!
I wish we had went to queen of tarts! We have to go back!
clarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #152
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

Please do continue, I am most interested to see how your niece enjoyed the trip, and would love to see pictures.

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #153
Aburns8
DIS Veteran

Keep going! I would love to hear your trip report! I would have been freaking out if there was no one there to pick us up from the airport! It sounds like you see a lot on the tour, did you have a lot of free time?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #154
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

June 19th, 2009 – Day 3, Celtic Kingdoms

After getting ready and throwing our last minute “getting ready” items in our suitcases, we left them outside our door before heading down to our last breakfast at the Westin. I really enjoyed the breakfast here…good options and everything tasted yummy. My mom especially loved the berries. I’ve never seen blackberries so big before! We had time before we had to meet the group so we ran upstairs one last time to use the restroom…our luggage was already gone. We hoped the luggage fairies had taken them and not someone else! After boarding the bus, we were off to Killarney, but we had some stops along the way. I sat with my mom while Claire and her new friend, E, sat together near us. We had this seating arrangement for the entire trip which worked our great for our party of 3. The scenery was just beautiful and such a contrast from the big city feel of Dublin. Our first stop was in Abbeyleix for some scones and tea! Coffee, hot chocolate and soft drinks were also available. The scones were SO good. I loaded mine with butter and strawberry jam and I’m not even a jam kind of girl. But, man oh man do I wish I had one of those scones now. Then, we hit the restrooms before boarding the bus. All along the way, Andrew and Francesc did an amazing job of telling stories and facts about things we were driving by or were going to be seeing later that day. They were really entertaining. Not long after our scones break, we approached the Rock of Cashel. It was beautiful! And windy! I actually needed help to get into my jacket because the other sleeve kept blowing out of my reach! Did I mention it was windy? Our private guide gave us a tour and history of the Rock and I’m not going to lie, I didn’t really hear much of it. I was in too much awe just looking around and taking it all in.

After exploring the Rock (we had about 15-20 minutes on our own to explore after the tour), we boarded the coach for the 2 minute drive into the town of Cashel. Francesc pointed out some options for lunch – we had a little over an hour I believe. We opted for a small bakery, sandwich shop. Truthfully I wasn’t too hungry, but the food was fine. Ham sammies for my mom and I, chicken sandwich for Claire. We did a little shopping, bought a few postcards and my new favorite candy – the Irish Beanie Bar. Basically it is a chocolate bar with mini m&m type candies in it, but for some reason I just love them. I think I ate 3 over the course of the trip. Should have stocked up…

Anyway, once again, we boarded the “coach” as my niece began calling it and we were on our way to Killarney. Our guides put on a movie – Enchanted, which I forever will associate with our Ireland trip. It was on tv the other day and I got all choked up remembering where I was the last time I saw it. I swear, I get so sentimental sometimes. The movie did make the time fly by, plus the scenery was pretty great and before I knew it, we were pulling into the Killarney Plaza. It was a beautiful lobby and we had a special welcome waiting for us when we got to the lobby! After grabbing our keys, we booked it to our room. I’m not going to lie, I wasn’t blown away by the rooms at this hotel. They were nice and everything, but I expected something, different? Something that matched the modern-ness of the lobby perhaps? But all in all, it was still very nice. I was a little bummed about having to share a bed with Claire. I HATE sharing a bed with people. I like my space. So it was a long 3 nights…I started praying for a 3rd bed in the castle. Would I get it?

Tonight was the adult dinner night and kid’s movie night. While I was finishing up, my mom dropped Claire off downstairs and soon my mom and I were heading down to dinner ourselves. It was really nice getting to chat with the rest of our group in a more intimate and quiet setting. The food was great! Now, I am not a big drinker. Actually I don’t drink much at all anymore. But, on vacation I don’t mind having a cocktail or 2 and I was really surprised that a complimentary glass of wine (or beer or something) was not included with this meal. Just sayin’. After dinner, we picked up Claire who looked like she might need to be carried back to the room. She was exhausted! And it was off to bed! Another great day!

Favorite Thing – Rock of Cashel (if I had to pick just one thing)
Least Favorite Thing – ummm, this is hard. My ham sandwich, maybe?

Last edited by Wonders10; 07-08-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Wonders10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #155
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Pictures!

Ok, I will admit that the thing I hate the most about writing trip reports is uploading the pictures. It takes soooo long. But I also love reading trip reports that have pictures. So I have started my facebook album and supposedly this is a link so that anyone can see them, not just my "friends". Would you mind letting me know if it does work for you all? I'm still uploading more...between my niece and I, we had almost 900 pictures to sort through and many of them were the same. I'll let you know as I add more pictures to the album, too.

Enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=4a686bade0
Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #156
Aburns8
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the photos Shannon! Being a third Irish myself I can't wait to go on this trip one day. My dad's cousin did research and I need to contact her to see what part we are from.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #157
tigger_ttfn
Mouseketeer

Loving your report! It's so neat to see the same trip from someone else's eyes. AND, I love reliving the adventure again...

Great pics too!

tigger_ttfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #158
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabelle View Post
Keep going!
I wish we had went to queen of tarts! We have to go back!
It was yummy! I am still reliving our trip...it was more than I even thought it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy View Post
Please do continue, I am most interested to see how your niece enjoyed the trip, and would love to see pictures.
My niece loved the trip and actually really enjoyed (and remembered) all the little "history lessons" along the way. We didn't have any meltdowns on the trip or "I miss mommy's" either. She is a great traveler and I would not hesitate for a second to bring her on another ABD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aburns8 View Post
Keep going! I would love to hear your trip report! I would have been freaking out if there was no one there to pick us up from the airport! It sounds like you see a lot on the tour, did you have a lot of free time?
We saw tons, I think - way more than if we were traveling on our own. But we did have a good mix of free time to eat wherever we wanted, shop, explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aburns8 View Post
Thanks for the photos Shannon! Being a third Irish myself I can't wait to go on this trip one day. My dad's cousin did research and I need to contact her to see what part we are from.
Glad you like the pictures! It was really neat driving through some areas and knowing that that is where my dad grew up...very surreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger_ttfn View Post
Loving your report! It's so neat to see the same trip from someone else's eyes. AND, I love reliving the adventure again...

Great pics too!
Thanks! I feel like I keep getting little reminders (or sometimes little bits of torture) of our trip everyday. Like, the girl next to me at a restaurant was wearing a shirt that had a shamrock and something written on it in Irish. Or tv shows talk about Ireland. My mom has an Ireland day calendar and leading up to the trip were none of the places we were going, but now they are all the places we were at...it was really a trip of a lifetime.

Thanks everyone for reading! I'll have the next installment up later today!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #159
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

We got our photopass info and DVD today! Well actually it came to my mom's house so it will be awhile until I watch the DVD, but she did call to give me the info so I could go online and see the photos. Now I need to see how many are good enough to buy and if it is worth it...

Oh and she said that the DVD was the same one they showed on our last night...I was under the impression that it would be different. Oh well. Still a ncie memento to have.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #160
clarabelle

We just watched ours. I noticed more this time. Last time I was too busy freaking out that the trip was over.

The photo pass pictures are so expensive. I doubt I will buy many of them.
I am doing a photo book on Kodak.com

One of my favorite pictures on the photo pass is of you standing by a street sign that has a picture of a car going into the water.
Priceless!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #161
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We just watched ours. I noticed more this time. Last time I was too busy freaking out that the trip was over.

The photo pass pictures are so expensive. I doubt I will buy many of them.
I am doing a photo book on Kodak.com

One of my favorite pictures on the photo pass is of you standing by a street sign that has a picture of a car going into the water.
Priceless!
I will probably notice more as well, as the first time I was trying not to burst into tears! Slideshows set to music do not play well with my emotions!

Actually the more I'm looking at the photos, I'm liking the ones I took more! There are a few that I like of us, but on the whole, I'm more pleased I think with our photos. Still tempted to make a photo book though with a mix of theirs and our photos.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #162
redzinner
Me Wants the Medianoche!

Quote:
Priceless!
That would be across from Monk's Restaurant in Ballyvaughan, County Clare. A lovely spot on the Burren.
This a beautiful but sad song that I love to listen to (sometimes) when I think of Ireland. Very melancholy. Sweet Ballyvaughan
Old 07-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #163
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

June 20th – Day 4, Cycle of the Kings and Queens

It was getting hard to get out of bed by this point. But we managed. I’m actually surprised by how well Claire did this entire trip. My mom and I would shower and once we were close to being ready, we would start waking her up. First the TV, then the window blinds are opened, etc. Worked pretty well and once she was awake, she cleaned herself up, brushed teeth and got dressed without any extra prodding! I was impressed.

Anyway, it was our first breakfast at the Killarney Plaza and the first thing I noticed was how huge the dining room was compared to the Westin. The food was set up more like a traditional buffet. After giving our room number to the hostess, we were seated. We placed our drink orders (2 coffees and a hot chocolate, our usual) and hit the buffet. I honestly don’t remember exactly what I had every morning here and I had something different every day. But it was mostly good. The scones, however, were not good. At least I didn’t care for them compared to the previous scones we had eaten in Abbeyleix. But the buffet had a good assortment of cereals, fruit, croissants, pastries, and hot items like eggs, sausage, ham(bacon), pancakes which looked more like crepes to me and porridge.

After filling up, we met the group outside for our jaunty cart ride to Muckross House. This was hysterical. Clarabelle – your husband rode with us so I’m sure he could tell you about it too. Our cart was packed! It was my mom, Claire and I, Claire’s friend E with her parents and brother and sister, Andrew the adventure guide, and Clarabelle’s husband. I do not know how we all fit, but we did. Our horse, Chester, was obviously not pleased at having such a heavy load to pull around as he was the slowest horse I’ve ever seen. We were the next to last cart to leave I believe and we were shortly passed by the last cart from our group, plus 2 others. Oh and a lady walking by pushing a stroller. Yep we were moving that slow. And our driver (a jarvy, FYI) was hysterical for the mere fact that none of us could understand a single word he said! But he told tons of stories, anyway. Between the 20 of us in the cart, we could mostly piece the story together. It was just a really fun moment of the trip with lots of smiles and laughter.

So after what seemed like an hour later, we finally made it to Muckross House. After a group shot, we started the tour. No pictures allowed inside which was a shame because it’s gorgeous! Pictures probably wouldn’t do it justice anyway. Then it was time for the bike riding. I opted out of the bike riding, but Claire and my mom went. I took the time for some independent exploring. I followed a portion of the path that the bikers took, but didn’t want to get too far into the trails so I turned back and cut through another path that brought me back behind Muckross House and towards the gardens. It is beautiful back there. By that time I had only about 10 minutes before the bikers returned so I grabbed a bottle of water and waited it out.

Then it was time for lunch! We ate in the gift shop area, which was set up like a cafeteria. We were told to get “whatever we wanted”. Claire got some roasted chicken and potato wedges, plus a cupcake. Now this is a funny story…I ordered the shepherd’s (cottage?) pie. She asked if I would like some veggies on the side so I said “sure!”. I look away for a second and when I look back, she is handing me the biggest plate of food I have ever seen in my life! It was almost embarrassing how much food was on my plate. I had a casserole dish of the cottage pie, a side of carrots, cabbage, a scoop of mashed potatoes (mind you the cottage pie has mashed potatoes on it already), plus a “sprinking” of fried potato wedges. It was all good, but it looked like I didn’t even make a dent in it. My mom ordered the same but didn’t make the same mistake as I did with the “vegetables”. And we got a chocolate macaroon to share for dessert. We had time when we were finished eating to shop and explore the gardens. Since I had already explored the gardens, we opted to shop. I bought a couple books, more postcards, and a small county Clare pin for Claire’s lanyard….and another Irish Beanie bar.

After boarding the coach, the guides said that since it was so nice out and we had time, we would be stopping at Ross Castle. This was neat to see. A high school friend of mine is also Irish, and her family is from Killarney. She told me that the little yellow house next to Ross Castle actually belongs to her aunt and uncle. They used to be the caretakers but now that is just where they live! I think they also run the little refreshment stand there too. I would have liked to go down there and say hello (not that they know me) but didn’t get around to it. We had the option of walking or taking the bus and it seemed a good chunk of the group took the bus back to the hotel. On the drive back, Francesc was going on and on about Murphy’s ice cream. Well, Claire was going to have a full on hissy fit if we didn’t join the group for an optional walk to Murphy’s ice cream, so that was our next stop. My mom and I had the Kahlua coffee and Claire had the cookies (and cream). Yum!

We were on our own for the rest of the evening. Claire was dying to go for a swim so we (Claire and I) donned our bathing suits and swim caps and went down to the pool. I don’t think I have ever swum in an indoor pool before. It was really dark down there. Like swimming at night. But it was refreshing and soon we were dry and dressed and headed down Main Street to get some dinner. We opted to eat at an Italian restaurant that night. Claire had the kids spaghetti Bolognese, which she inhaled. My mom and I shared an entrée salad and individual pizza. It was a really good meal. Although I started noticing a pattern with the servers. They really give you lots of time and they do not bug you at all during your meal. Much different than here were they are pushing you out as quickly as possible. We opted to skip dessert here so we could head to Murphy’s for more ice cream. If you are keeping count, yes, that is twice in one day. I had chocolate whisky, Claire again had cookies and cream, and my mom had the brown bread.

There was a festival going on while we were there and a portion of the road was closed off so a stage could be put up. We really enjoyed watching the dancers and musicians during our stay here…we even ate on the 2nd floor of Murphy’s so could have a clear view of everything. It was crowded down there! Then it was back to the hotel for a good night’s rest!

Favorite thing – jaunty cart ride to Muckross House
Least Favorite thing – not doing the bike portion of the tour
Old 07-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #164
clarabelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzinner View Post
That would be across from Monk's Restaurant in Ballyvaughan, County Clare. A lovely spot on the Burren.
This a beautiful but sad song that I love to listen to (sometimes) when I think of Ireland. Very melancholy. Sweet Ballyvaughan
Yes it was! at the pier.

Beautiful song- thanks for sharing
Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #165
tigger_ttfn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonders10 View Post
We opted to skip dessert here so we could head to Murphy’s for more ice cream. If you are keeping count, yes, that is twice in one day. I had chocolate whisky, Claire again had cookies and cream, and my mom had the brown bread.

Yep, we had it twice in one day as well. First we shared the Honey Comb (caramel) and then we shared the Rum and Raisin. Both were REALLY good!

tigger_ttfn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: