Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Phibbles
DIS Veteran

I have no title to hold me down...Aug08 POR trip --- 12/12

Almost a month has passed since I returned from the promise land. I miss it so much already. I thought I would try writing a TR to see if it helps me get through my withdrawl.

Cast of Characters:
Me - Phibbles. Long time disney fan. Been visiting WDW since I was 2.
DW - Tink. Dis-fan by osmosis.
DS5 - Skoochy. This is his 2nd trip, but the 1st he will remember.
DSil - We call her Skipper now. Stay tuned to find out why. She is DW's younger sister. Just finished college and is looking for a BF if anyone has any NJ suggestions. Just saying.

Okay, on with the trip.

Day 1 – Thur., Aug 21

The plan was to leave our house at about 8:00p. I got home from work at about 12:30, packed the car, and then headed off to bed. The plan was for me to nap before we left so I would be very alert for the drive. This is the first time I was going to be in-charge of the driving. As a kid, we drove to WDW many times but all I had to do was wrestle with my brothers in the back of the car. Oh the memories…

Anyhow, back to my trip. Well, napping didn’t go so well for me. In fact it was a bit of a bust. Instead of getting the 6 hours I had hoped for, I maybe got 4. It is TOO hard to take a midday nap when you have Disney on the mind.

So we loaded up the car and hit the road right on time.

Most of the drive down was uneventful. I made it all the way to N.Carolina before I felt tired. DW had stayed awake with me all this time, which we soon realized was a big mistake. How is she going to take a turn at the wheel if she hasn’t slept in 12 hours too?

So I ordered her to sleep through S.Carolina so she could take over in Georgia. I stopped for a few minutes at South of the Border to stretch and “relieve myself”. That gave me the energy I needed to take on another state. I also got charge when I saw a dozen other cars from North-East states had stopped here. It looked like they were calling it quits though. No, not me. We are driving straight-thru, NO MATTER WHAT!

Jumped back in the Zuki and hit the road fast. Traffic was very light the entire trip. It was awesome. Then we hit Georgia and the damn Huricane Fay! The winds were super high, rain was coming down very heavy, this was a tough drive. And I was exhausted. I looked at DW and realized there was no way in hell she was going to take over driving in this monsoon.

So I buckled down and finished the drive all the way to Disney. The weather was harsh for all of Georgia and North Florida. When we were just a couple hours away from WDW, the rain had finally let up. We stopped at a Bob Evans to fill my belly.

Day 2 – Fri., Aug 22
A couple hours later we saw this.

Then I saw this around the car:

Then this outside the car:

Finally…we are home.

We got room 2732 in the Alligator Bayou. Good location I thought.

Up next…where should we eat dinner before I fall asleep standing.

--------------------------------------------

Click here to go to the 1st update.

Click here to go to the 2nd update.

Click a link to read one of my reports:
June 2011 PTR
*** August 2009 Trip Report *** August 2008 Trip Report

Last edited by Phibbles; 04-09-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
dkmjgal
Mouseketeer

Hi - looking forward to hearing all about your trip. We are from NJ also and were at the World from the 23rd-31st.

Kelly
2005 7 Day Western Cruise
2006 November - Cruised the Eastern with a bunch of Bananas
2010 August Disney Wonder from Key to Cay
2011 August ALASKA on the Wonder
2013-2014 Midnight Mouseketeers Fantasy NYE
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
ScottishDisMam
Mouseketeer

Hiya,
Really enjoying your report and pictures. Can't wait for more.

Lisa x
Old 09-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Phibbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmjgal View Post
Hi - looking forward to hearing all about your trip. We are from NJ also and were at the World from the 23rd-31st.
Kelly
Go Jersey! Where did you stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishDisMam View Post
Hiya,
Really enjoying your report and pictures. Can't wait for more.
Lisa x
Thank you. I will post more in a few days.

June 2011 PTR
Old 09-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

Fun Start!!! I couldn't imagine driving to WDW... especially straight thru!!! I have enough trouble driving to Cleveland a few times a year and that only take 3&1/2hrs

Looking forward to the updates. I'm seriously thinking of going next year at that time... the heck with the hurricaines!!!

Paula

Last edited by OhMari; 09-17-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Please don't filter swear words.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
dkmjgal
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Phibbles;27615987]Go Jersey! Where did you stay?

We stayed at the Beach Club. We're DVC members. We've done the drive from Jersey also in the past and like you drove straight thru. DH drove us thru SC and I took over in GA.
2005 7 Day Western Cruise
2006 November - Cruised the Eastern with a bunch of Bananas
2010 August Disney Wonder from Key to Cay
2011 August ALASKA on the Wonder
2013-2014 Midnight Mouseketeers Fantasy NYE
Old 09-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Phibbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvCrush View Post
I couldn't imagine driving to WDW... especially straight thru!!! I have enough trouble driving to Cleveland a few times a year and that only take 3&1/2hrs

Looking forward to the updates. I'm seriously thinking of going next year at that time... the h*ll with the hurricaines!!!
The drive isn't too bad. Took about 18 hours with stops for gas/food. I don't think I will ever go back in Aug. Just too hot for me and the addition of huricanes is just too much for me to handle. It put a slight damper on our vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmjgal View Post
We stayed at the Beach Club. We're DVC members. We've done the drive from Jersey also in the past and like you drove straight thru. DH drove us thru SC and I took over in GA.
I love the Beach Club...oh, one day I'll get to stay there.

June 2011 PTR
Old 09-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
carrieannie
DIS Veteran

I found you!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
Phibbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrieannie View Post
I found you!!!
You're funny.

June 2011 PTR
Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
Phibbles
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Frid., Aug 22

So the drive took about 18 hours from start to finish, including stops for gas and food. After settling into our new home, we decided to go to DTD for dinner. I had heard about a little place called Earl of Sandwich, and thought it would be fun to try.

We hopped in the car and cruised over to DTD. I stopped and got gas at some Chevron station on the way, after pumping a tank full of gas I realized the price at this station was RIDICULOUSLY high. We drove through like 9 states and gas was about the same price as it was at home. This one little gas station nestled outside WDW had decided to rip-off the vacationing ****s just desperate to fill the tank. It really pissed me off. But I bit my tongue and moved on.

The rain was on/off since we checked-in. The showers would appear in waves. This was going to happen all night. Very frustrating, but we decided to not let it get the best of us. We found a parking spot at DTD and made our way to the Earl.

Tink had the Caribbean Jerk Chicken – Yum!

Skoochy had the kid’s Grilled Cheese – Yum, Yum!

I had the Hawaiian BBQ – Yum, Yum, Yum!

Skipper had the Chicken Caesar Wrap – she liked it. I didn’t get to try any. 

Overall I thought this place rocked! Good food, great bread! I would definitely do it again. I was hoping to hit them up again on our last day, so we could enjoy in the car on the way home. But you will see later that this would not happen. 

After dinner, we thought we would just walk a bit before heading back to the hotel to pass out. If the weather had been nicer we would have stayed to do more. But between being exhausted from the drive and wet, hot from the weather, we did not last too long.

A quick pick with Buzz:

Some silly hats:

DS wondering, what the heck is a Lego?:

Can I take him home Daddy?:

Up next: Attacked by a stingray…how to survive?

June 2011 PTR

Last edited by Phibbles; 04-09-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
Phibbles
DIS Veteran

June 2011 PTR
Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Phibbles
DIS Veteran

A Very UnDisney Holiday

Day 3 – Sat., Aug 23 -- A Very UnDisney Holiday

So today was going to be the first time, in my life, that I went to a non-Disney park while on a Disney vacation. It is just unheard of in my family. I think I am still being shamed for doing it.

But we bought these season passes to Sesame Place and one of the perks of the pass is free admission to all of the Busch theme parks. So how could I say no to the idea of going to SeaWorld.

We got up early and cruised the POR food court for breakfast. We made the investment in Mugs and sat down for a quick, hearty breakfast. Food was good, not a single complaint. Hit the road and followed GPS direct to SeaWorld.

Got to the parking booth, flashed my Super Grover passport and got to park for free. Not only did we get to park for free, we got into the preferred parking lot! Woohoo. Thank you SuperGrover!

We got to the gates just in time for opening. We made very good time this morning. Sun was shining, wasn’t too hot. Looked like it was going to be a great day.

So we enter the park and I notice everyone is going right. Now we have never been to this park, so I had no idea where anything was. But what I did know was that if they go right, I must go left! So we did and that’s when we discovered it. The tank of killer stingrays. Okay, maybe they weren’t killers, but they were FIERCE!

For a couple bucks (with my SuperGrover discount), we got a tray of fish to feed the rays. It was the coolest experience in the world. You put this little finish between your fingers so it is standing up tall. Then you put your hand on the bottom of the tank. The rays swim over and attack your hand to get the fish. Their mouths are on their bellies, so it is an interesting situation. It felt like getting attacked by giant spongy suction cups.

A short walk from the ray tank, we discovered you could feed dolphins. So we jumped on that opportunity too (thanks SuperGrover discount). This was another first for us all, and lots of fun. It is just amazing to be so close to these animals. Sure beats the stinky petting zoo at AK.

We spent the rest of the morning checking out the other animals in the park. We didn’t take any photos though, I think by this time we were getting hot and bothered. Damn you AUGUST SUN!

The family jumped on “Journey to Atlantis” for a quick boat ride. They said it was fun. I wouldn’t know, I was sitting on a bench watching their bags! Stoopid SW won’t let you bring bags on the ride and I was not going to pay for a locker to go on a glorified log flume. This is another reason Disney is 1,000,000,000,000 times better than all theme parks. Anyhow!

Then we all grabbed a ride on the Sea Carousel, while we waited for them to start seating the Shamu show.

Once off the ride, it was time for Shamu. We ran up the hill to the theater and walked right in. All the splash zones were filled already (which was okay with me!) so we were scouting around to see where else we could sit. Then I notice a little sign that says “Reserved Seating for Platinum Members”. Hmmm…could SuperGrover save me here too?

June 2011 PTR

Last edited by Phibbles; 04-09-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
Tat2ddisneymom
Will have to keep the husband
Had to pee in a cup
As Captain Jack, he's just smokin'

Hi, Phibbles!

I'm in for your TR! We made the drive from Pennsylvania to WDW last September. We, too, drove straight through...and through the remnants of a tropical storm in southern VA and NC. Luckily, my husband drove till we got about halfway through GA. I can't see to drive in the dark anyway.

Really interesting so far, and I'm loving your pictures! Can't wait to hear more.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #14
Phibbles
DIS Veteran

Day 3 – Sat., Aug 23 -- A Very UnDisney Holiday Part II

When we last left off, we were standing in the middle of Shamu’s stadium looking for a seat. I noticed the little black sign, and several empty rows in the middle of the stadium.

“That is weird” I think “Why wouldn’t people want to sit right here in the middle?” Then I see the signs and realize these great locations are reserved for Premium Passport members only. Could Grover fly us into these seats? I asked the nice lady protecting the seats and she said “YES”.

Sweet! Score! We had great seats for the show. Right in the middle of the arena, directly above the lower tier splash zone. Perfect. It is a shame the show sucks. What was once a great show about these beasts that could swallow you whole has become a sappy tale about a young trainer who now understands you can achieve anything if you just believe in it. GAG! We took very few pictures. Here is one so we can just move on from this horrid memory.

After Shamu, we went for lunch. I don’t recall where or what. But it was park food. Nothing special. Fully recharged, we went back to the section of the park where the kids attractions are. My DS had a lot of fun here:

He convinced me to let him get wet:

Then I rednecked a roller coaster photo.

A quick ride on some other ride

Then we went of to see the pirate sea lion show. What? Pirate Sea Lions? How ridiculous.

Okay, the show was funny. The animals kept ignoring their commands, so the trainer had to do half the tricks themselves to keep the show on schedule. It was good fun though. I would have gone back to see it again.

Then we wasted my money and fed the sharks. Don’t bother!

Okay, I am leaving a lot of details out here. You know why? Because it isn’t DISNEY! That’s right, I am a Disney snob. Get over it!

Sure, we had fun. The walk-thru attractions were very nice and I love to see all the animals. But I don’t think I will add this to our trip every visit. It is a nice treat when we have extra time, or if we ever have Super Grover with us again.

Next: Time for some Disney!

June 2011 PTR

Last edited by Phibbles; 04-09-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
KittyKat08
Mouseketeer

I'm in and waiting for the rest.

From about 1979 till now Disneyland all the time!
2008 First trip to Walt Disney World, POFQ & offsite
2008 First DCL trip on the Disney Wonder

My Honeymoon TR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2054154

Thanks pamouselover

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: