Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #91
kirkson
Ohana is not an Irish Pub!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyjade View Post
Does anyone know if bottles of tonic (as in, to mix up a "gin & tonic") are sold at the Poly?
I'm pretty sure they have a nice array of liquors and mixers (in small bottles) in the small gift shop upstairs in the GCH. Then again, I haven't been back since the GCH was rehabbed, so that may have changed, but I recall making my own Jack&Cokes while enjoying some people watching upstairs.

<edit>Just checked a certain site dedicated to the Poly, which you all know and love, and there is a picture there of Samoa Snacks that shows a shelf with bottles of soda, etc, and one can distinctly see bottles of tonic water</edit>

I'll be there next week and will report back

Last edited by kirkson; 09-11-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #92
cdotla
Trish

Really??? Wow - I had no idea. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousecat View Post
If you have the right cable, you can plug your iPod into the television and use that as your speakers.
And thanks to those who confirmed they don't have the ipod alarm clocks...not the answer I was looking for, but at least I am prepared. I actually broke down and pre-ordered the new ipod with built in speakers which comes out next week. I just hope I get it in time for my trip!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #93
momatater
DIS Veteran

Here I am....LIVE

Stephanie here.....LIVE at the Poly!!

Wow, it's great to be back! Here's a quick rundown of our trip so far.

Our plane landed about 5:15 last night and it was raining. By the time we got on the road via rental car, it was pouring! (thanks Ike) We surprised the boys and stayed our first night at the CR, Magic Kingdom view and were sweating it thinking the fireworks wouldn't go. But, all went well, the rain stopped and we had a fantastic show from the 11th floor.

So, wake up early and drive to the Poly for check-in. Got here at 8:05 and was pleased to hear our room in the Hawaii building was ready!! Room 3509, right in the center of the hallway, perfect view of the castle and everything else.

We decided to just drop off the bags and grab something quick to eat in the lounge and then head out to Epcot. The first thing we noticed is how quiet every thing is. Lounge at 8:45 that is normally buzzing with people has 2 or 3 other people total eating breakfast. We grab something quick and head out to Epcot. Took the monorail from the TTC and I again noticed how few people we saw in transit.

Arrived at Epcot about 9:30ish and it was dead. Headed to Soaring, 15 standby time but walked right on. Did Soaring, Living with the Land, Nemo, Test Track, Mission Space, Maelstrom in Norway, had pics taken with Donald in Mexico and ate a counter service lunch all before 1:00. We headed back here to the Poly because my Mom and Dad and nephew were coming over to spend a few hrs with us. It was then I got organized and unpacked!!

By 2:30 it was starting to rain, thunderstorms moved in and the pool was closed down. Kids where disappointed about that. The pool never did open back up as of about 30 mins ago. Not raining anymore, but I'm guessing there still is lightening still close enough to keep it closed.

Decided at 5ish to see if we could get all of us into Kona or Ohana's for dinner. Went downstairs and they got us in right then to eat. We all just walked over there and was seated in about 10 mins. Overall the meal was pretty good. Service was good and we took our time. We were seated in the corner which we liked because it kept the noise level down. We are going to eat there again on Sunday, so I will let you know if we still feel the same after that meal. I plan on ordering the steak next time. Oh, and again, except for the people waiting for the restaurants...the Poly is very quiet. Not a whole lot of people here.

Because of the weather and my parents just leaving a little bit ago, we decided to stay here to watch the fireworks and the water parade. I think the kids need a good night sleep anyway, they didn't sleep well last night because of all the excitement.

Picabo, (forgive me if I got the wrong person here) I think it was you that asked about the sand toys at the gift shop. They have a medium size Nemo bucket with shovel for $5.95. Also, they have a small plain bucket w/small shovel for $0.94. Haven't been to check on the prices of the pastries yet, but hopefully will get there soon.

Up tomorrow....CP breakfast at 8:05am, then who knows. We'll just go with the flow. Oh, and we are doing the Breathless Illuminations Cruise tomorrow night at 8:30. (shhhh, it's a surprise for the boys!!)

sydangel68: say hi if you see us. It me, just average size, DH, 6'2", 240 and my 3 sons. My 12 yr old is taller than me and the other two are tall and skinny boys. Look for my LGMH on my bags!!

Last edited by momatater; 09-11-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added to post
Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #94
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

kirkson, have fun next week!

Stephanie....a live report! Yippee! How great to have your room ready that early! It just feel so wonderful when that happens doesn't it!? Have a fantastic trip with your family.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #95
Me&3
DIS Veteran

Stephanie Thanks for the LIVE TR . Have a great time can't wait to read more
Old 09-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #96
momatater
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
kirkson, have fun next week!

Stephanie....a live report! Yippee! How great to have your room ready that early! It just feel so wonderful when that happens doesn't it!? Have a fantastic trip with your family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&3 View Post
Stephanie Thanks for the LIVE TR . Have a great time can't wait to read more
Thanks to you both!

Just wanted to jump back on here and tell you all that we just watched the fireworks and WP from the balcony. It was great because there is a speaker right outside our room, and we heard it plain as day.

I also counted the people that were on the beach watching....I looked as far as I could in both directions and there was 31 people total. There may have been a few in lounge chairs that I couldn't see, but couldn't have been many. I've never seen it so quiet here, EVER!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #97
Picabo
"Hi, my name is Picabo & I'm a Disboard-o-holic!!"

STEPHANIE! Thanks for the live TR (I LOVE reading them!! But for some reason feel "guilty" that you are taking your precious Poly time to write for US!) But mostly THANKS for checking on the sand toy prices! That's so sweet of you....and the prices really aren't bad for being right there on property. Especially the plain one....something tells me the kids won't "go for it" though when they see Nemo! haha Sounds like your tirp is off to a magical start! Can't wait to read more!!!!!!

Melanie

Old 09-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #98
cdotla
Trish

Stephanie - thank you so much for the awesome LIVE report!!!

This is making me to anxious to get down there!!! Less than 3 weeks to go!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #99
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momatater View Post
Stephanie here.....LIVE at the Poly!!
...Got here at 8:05 and was pleased to hear our room in the Hawaii building was ready!! Room 3509, right in the center of the hallway, perfect view of the castle and everything else.
OMG - that is awesome momatater!! In July my daughter and I were in a room right by yours!! Aren't the views TO DIE FOR? I'm so happy for you and I know you're going to have a magical trip. Have a wonderful time
Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #100
Shell54
DIS Veteran

Stephanie, I enjoyed your live report Wow so nice of you to take the time. Hope the rain clears up for you guys! Have fun either way, the poly looks so beautiful, it will be my first time, so Iam living vicariously through everyone's live reports and photos.
I hope it's relatively crowd free for us too..won't be long ...10 days

Disney Magic 8/12

Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #101
boardom
Mouseketeer

Stephanie, thanx for the live report! We'll be there NEXT MONTH, my ME tags saying POLYNESIAN came today and I could hardly believe it.

Glad to see this thread has continued (and I found it again). Thanks to seaspray, I reread everything since my trip is now so close...

Last trip - Polynesian 10/08
Old 09-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #102
Kteacher
Not your average kindergarten teacher
Judge Judy stole my iced tea!
REALLY good at keeping secrets

Stephanie, thanks for the live report Someday I hope to be able to visit during less crowded times, but being on a school vacation schedule I'll have to make do until I retire .
Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #103
DisneyToddlers
Mouseketeer

Stephanie- You have me all pumped up, as we'll be at the Poly in 3 days for our first trip to WDW!!!!! That's so cool about the light crowds! I had no idea! I really thought the free dining would crowd everything!!!! How long will you be there? Have a blast and we are enjoying the live trippie!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #104
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkson View Post
I'm pretty sure they have a nice array of liquors and mixers (in small bottles) in the small gift shop upstairs in the GCH. Then again, I haven't been back since the GCH was rehabbed, so that may have changed, but I recall making my own Jack&Cokes while enjoying some people watching upstairs.

<edit>Just checked a certain site dedicated to the Poly, which you all know and love, and there is a picture there of Samoa Snacks that shows a shelf with bottles of soda, etc, and one can distinctly see bottles of tonic water</edit>

I'll be there next week and will report back
Thank you so much!! I remember going in that gift shop last Nov. but I wasn't paying attention to the alcohol. However, my parents love a good Tanqueray & Tonic or 2 after dinner (blech!) and thought it might be cheaper to go this route than send them to the lounge every night.

If you would be so kind and think of it, would you mind checking if they also sell Tanqueray gin in that shop, and how much? THANKS!!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #105
matthew_hull
The Once and Future Disney Fan

Thanks

SeaSpray,
Thanks so much for posting this thread. The summary of discussion links has been very helpful!

"Speak softly, and carry a big lens."

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: