Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2008, 01:02 AM   #16
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Another PERFECT weather day. It was Wednesday. Bridget is tired, but still wants no part of a wheelchair. We go over to DD to take the monorail to DL. Rich from PP hotel gives us another ride..... They swipe your pass and have security at the monorail entrance in DD. We get lucky, and get to ride on the new monorail RED. We could not ride in front, it is weird in DL. The people in the front do not have to get out! They refused. I said, in WDW they can't do that, lol. Rats, I probably wanted to ride in the front even more than Bridget. And how can people say this castle is ugly, or too small?? It is CHARMING!!!

We rode over to DL, and you get off the monorail in Tomorrowland. We headed right for the Matterhorn, since this is a NEW ride for us.

We immediately see how much more crowded DL is vs. C.A. We loved the Matterhorn. After this, we began to run into ride after ride closed/ broken down! Oh my. First, Space. Then Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, Pirates. Come ON, Pirates?? We got on Jungle Cruise, Splash, and ate some lunch. Backtracked to Indy, it was open. (great ride!) Back to Pirates, Space, they had reopened. Pirates had a really long line for special assistance pass guests, the longest we saw. Bridget pushed us up to the front, showing her MAW pass. It was after this that Bridget pointed out all the people in the DL park in walking casts/boots. VERY odd, they were not in wheelchairs, and were walking so well in these......... we questioned this amongst ourselves, it seemed suspicious. But, we saw far less people using the power wheelchairs, ECVs? compared to WDW. Interesting. We toured for while, the crowds wear you out, even when you bypass the lines. OH, before we left the park Bridget got very tired, and we visited the Wish Lounge.

It was very nice. As we left the park, we were able to get a wheelchair to take back to the hotel, from the park when we were leaving (free). We said, MAW kid, she cannot make it back to the hotel. We went back, but did return later to DL and rode some rides we missed earlier. We got out of there before Fantasmic though, so we missed that. It was so crowded and crazy, Bridget just wanted out. Back in the room, I was able to watch the ELP from the room, again, so I was happy.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 AM   #17
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Thursday was supposed to be Hollywood day, but Bridget was just too tired. We returned the wheelchair to the park the night before, but we were able to get a chair from the hotel. Bridget wanted a day of rest.

We took it easy, then I said, let's go to the Grand Californinan pool. The kids went to the Paradise Pier pool first, and called me to say that they were told we were NOT allowed to pool hop. Hmm. When we checked in, some CMs told us to call if we wanted ANYTHING. They gave us the information of how to contact them. So, I called and said, I thought we could pool hop?? (Actually, another DISer who went to DL the week before us on a MAW trip had told me we could). They said, no, it was not allowed. But, then they said they certainly could arrange for us to pick up pass keys to the pool for the day! Hooray! The girls were happy it was all arranged,and they were not sneaking in. We walked over, and spent a few hours there. TIP: Do ask for little favors like this. It cost Disney nothing, and we went midday when it was empty. We did not ask for anything else, like meeting characters, etc. For TEENS, going to a nicer pool is a treat. (PP pool is ho-hum).

About 4:30 we headed down to Newport Beach, Balboa Pier. Easy drive, I had no idea where I was going. Parked in a big lot. We walked around some little shops, onto the Bay side. Then back to the pier, we ate at a diner on the end of the Pier. Called RUBY'S, I think. What a VIEW! We saw the sunset, and took so many photos.

Then back to our room with the view at PP.

Last edited by PatMcDuck; 09-09-2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: it s ruby's not rosies!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 AM   #18
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Friday, back to the Disney parks. We decided to do DL in the morning, visiting rides we missed on Weds. then after a break, back to C.A. after dark. We loved the Paradise Pier section after dark. This time we were worried about the monorail being broken down again, so we had Rich drive us to the parking structure to take the tram to the park. Interesting option, but the tram does not take you to the gate, it drops you in DD. So weird.

We had the problem with the one pass not working that I bought on Ebay, but after that the day was smooth. We rode Space again, it is so much better at DL; Pirates is too. We love the Matterhorn, and we rode the subs, too.

The girls tried on hats, of course.

Bridget;s Dad, my husband, joined us Friday afternoon. He came with us to C.A. that afternoon and night. We re-rode our favorites again, like Soaring, Midway Mania, etc.

I missed out on the Alladin show. Rats.

Saturday we went to Universal. We hit traffic, but got there about 11 am, like tourists. HA! Turns out, they provide the special front of the line pass for MAW families! It is on a lanyard you wear. What a surprise, I expected a pass of some sort. So we had to buy Jim (Dad) one, but that's ok. We had a great time, rode Simpsons, the Mummy, Terminator, etc. It was crowded, as it was Saturday. We saw Wisteria Lane, from Desperate Housewives. We ate dinner in Citywalk, it was a western place right at the exit. It was a wonderful place to eat. It has a mechanical bull ride, Bridget wanted to try it, but we were like "no way with those hips with the pins and screws in them!" We liked going to Universal very much. I cannot remember all we did there, but we were there most of the day. We have been to Universal Orlando a few times, so we were familiar with some of the rides.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 AM   #19
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Well, to wrap things up, Disneyland was a GREAT GREAT choice for us to have a Make a Wish Trip! Bridget has been lucky enough to go to WDW 1/2 dozen times with DVC, so this was just so much more special and exciting to her.

Thanks for reading, I was hoping to help future families with planning MAW DL trips.

Pat McCormack
Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 AM   #20
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Trip report now done!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1946708
Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #21
bigdisgrandma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcDuck View Post
Well, to wrap things up, Disneyland was a GREAT GREAT choice for us to have a Make a Wish Trip! Bridget has been lucky enough to go to WDW 1/2 dozen times with DVC, so this was just so much more special and exciting to her.

Thanks for reading, I was hoping to help future families with planning MAW DL trips.

Pat McCormack
I am so glad to read your TR. I have been wondering how the trip went and if it was wonderful. Sounds like you all had a fun time. I am glad that Bridget was strong enough to get the trip she deserved. Thanks for sharing your experience and your good tips for a great MAW trip to DL.

Denise
Port Orleans Riverside June 2002
Pop Century Nov 2005, Jan 2008

Karlyn's Wish is Coming True
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1868674
Old 09-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #22
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

What a wonderful trip. I am glad your daughter was able to both enjoy and experience DL to the fullest. Thank you for the trip report.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #23
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

What a wonderful report and great trip for your daughter & her friend! My wishes to her that she live a full life & continues to stay in remission

I wanted to comment on the black boots you saw people wearing who didn't seem to need assistance such as crutches/wheelchairs. I fell 7 weeks ago going out to my garage & tore ligaments completely in my left ankle. I was on crutches with this boot for about 5 weeks and during the last 2 weeks, I've been hobbling along with the boot alone. I can actually walk pretty quickly on it (I had 3rd degree sprain which my doctor said he usually sees with football running backs & normally would require surgery). Now this week I'm walking with a little splint and am walking like an old lady without a cane I miss my boot!!

I am so glad you had this opportunity with your daughter and know how precious any time you spend with her is and pray she has many many more years to share with you!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 09-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #24
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

My son wore the black type boots for several broken toes. But, he never could have toured a theme park all day on one of those broken toes. Too painful for that much walking. But those boots really do the trick.

It was just a weird coincidence, maybe. Once my daughter mentioned it, I saw dozens of those boots each day! Maybe it is a California thing, people doing all sorts of active sports and getting hurt.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #25
mom2lilnick
Mouseketeer

Great TR!!

Wife to one amazing guy Jeff
Mom to three wonderful kids..
Kayla, Noah and my wish child Nicholas .

Nick's pre-trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post28150528
Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #26
kimmylaj
DIS Veteran

great report thanks for sharing we live in ny and would love to to disney land some day. glad to hear your daughter is doing better. wishes for continued good health
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #27
mariarlongview
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for posting about the maw disneyland. My nine year old daughter chose to go to disneyland and universal studios hollywood. We will go in January 09. I would love to have more info if available. We will be traveling with her dad and I and her 5 younger siblings (yes five younger than the nine year old). As you might imagine every detail would help. But I have to thank you so much I googled maw trips to disneyland your the only one with even a little detail. I also need a little help on how to do a trip report. This is our first trip to disney for everyone me, my husband, and my children. thank you again christina
Old 11-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #28
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Glad you liked it! I could not find any info on MAW to DL trips when we were planning a year ago. Made me motivated to write this report to help others. I am not sure where they would put up your large family, though. Maybe not in a Disney hotel..... but I am sure they will figure it out. We did not make any meal reservations, for example, w just winged it. Saved us $$, those character meals are so expensive.

You can PM me with questions, but I think I put all I knew in the report.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #29
jessica52877
DIS Veteran

What a nice trip. I just love DL and glad that Bridget got her wish! Sounds like she has been through alot!

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
Old 12-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #30
maroo
DIS Veteran

Wow...

I am not exactly sure how I missed this!

Great TR! It is so helpful to have Disneyland Trips for MAW...very helpful info!

I have put a link to your TR on our new Wish Trippers Unite Thread...

Wish Trippers Unite...Volume 2

Feel free to pop in anytime and take a look!!

And I hope that you guys are doing well!! Thanks for all the info!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: