Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Disneyvirg
Mouseketeer

Two little Princesses on their first trip to WDW *8/30 - update*

Welcome to my very first trip report. We stayed at the Poly June 6-13, 2009. We had the DDP. It was four of us: DH 34, Me 32, DD6, and DD2.

The purpose of this trip report is two-fold:
1. The trip reports I read in my obsessive WDW planning were very helpful, so I hope I can help some other planners with this report.
2. I won’t get to my scrapbooking as quickly as I would prefer, and I’d like to get our story down on “paper” before I forget it.

Warnings:
1. I wasn’t planning to write a TR and I have a poor memory – so I’ll try to be as complete as possible.
2. I tend to babble. Please be patient with me.
3. I was a moron when packing. What’s the number one thing you take with you to WDW? The kids. Okay – what’s #2 on the list? Yep – your camera, spare battery, and charger. Guess what!?!? I forgot the spare battery and charger at home. You’ll notice there are not many photos from the first few days…trying to conserve battery power.

If you’re on board for the ride, hold on tight…here we go!

Cast:
Me – Carissa – I’m 32 for a few more days. I work in town in an insurance agency. Not my life long dream job, but it helps me live a life I love. I’m getting into digital scrapbooking. I love to read. And this trip helped me rediscover my love of traveling. Here’s a shocker. Some of you may need to sit down for this. Deep breath. I never had a desire to go to WDW. I’m scared of heights, I’m not much of a thrill seeker, and I get motion sick easily. This reads – I don’t like scary rides or spin-y (new word) rides too well. I always figured WDW was just a glorified amusement park. We have Adventureland in Des Moines and Worlds of Fun in KC, so I figured those would be good enough for us. One day a couple years ago I was thumbing through either Parents or Parenting magazine. They had a little write up on WDW. They made it sound so – magical. I really got excited after reading that and starting plotting our family’s trip to Disney.

DH – Andy – 34. He’s a big teddy bear. Truly one of the sweetest guys out there. He is a supervisor in a feed mill and farms with his dad and brother. He’s a really hard worker and a wonderful husband and father to our children. He didn’t really have a desire to visit WDW, but he’s willing to do things I like to do. He thought I was crazy for being so obsessed with planning.

DD – Lily – 6. Our very sweet and intelligent older daughter. She’s into just about anything on the Disney channel, reading, playing outside, and starting fights with her little sister. I was really worried about how Lily would handle this trip. She gets very worked up about things. She also has a tough time in new situations. Oh – and she’s scared of loud noises. She’s the little girl with her pants around her ankles and her hands over her ears every time the toilet flushes in a public bathroom.

DD – Kate – 2 (three weeks shy of her 3rd birthday on this trip). She is brave, ornery, and fairly outgoing. She's really starting to be intelligible - and she's lots of fun. She loves Playhouse Disney, Princesses, her baby dolls, and playing outside. I figured she’d roll with the punches on this trip.

Here’s a picture of us at a wedding last summer. Forgive the squiggled faces on my dad and brother. I didn’t think they’d necessarily want their pics out on the web.

-

Now that introductions are over, we can start out with the meat of the TR.

I'll try to get our arrival day on here tomorrow.

I hope someone will humor me and read along!

TR Links:
Arrival Day: 6/6/09: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...08&postcount=2
6/7 - First MK & CM Supper: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...06&postcount=5
6/8 - Epcot Day & PSB: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=19
6/9 - DHS: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=19
Catchup Photopass pics: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=19
6/10 - Second MK day - Part I: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=62
6/10 - Second MK day - Part I (Continued): http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=63
6/10 - Second MK day - Part II #1: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=82
6/10 - Second MK day - Part II #2: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=836/10 - Second MK day - Part II #3: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=84
6/11 - Free Day - Part I - DTD: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=108
6/11 - Supper at Ohana: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=122
6/12 - Animal Kingdom: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=145
6/12 - Teppan Edo: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=162
6/13 - Last Day & Final Thoughts: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=180

Last edited by Disneyvirg; 08-30-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Disneyvirg
Mouseketeer

Arrival Day/Saturday, June 6

We drove from our home in Iowa to a hotel near the KC airport Friday afternoon. It was a pretty uneventful trip. We had a nice little shuttle over to the KC airport at 5 AM on Saturday morning. The girls were so excited to be taking their first trip in an airplane.

The 7 AM flight from KC to MCO was uneventful. I had backpacks full of fun stuff to keep the girls occupied. We lucked out with an awesome flight attendant. He did such a great job of keeping snacks in the hands of kids that were getting restless. He even pulled out little SWA kid’s activity packs. He really helped the 3 hour flight go well.

We arrived at MCO on time. We got totally lost once we were in there. I really should have read the Magical Express info a little more thoroughly. We got ourselves straightened out and made it to the ME area. We were thrilled to be able to board the bus to the Poly right away. I think we waited about 15 minutes for some more people to board and we were off. The girls were so excited. Kate kept YELLING out the names of the characters as they appeared on the video screen. I apologize if you were on our bus and trying to listen to the video!

It was right about noon when we got to the Poly just as a storm was letting loose. We made it into the beautiful GCH without getting wet. The lobby is gorgeous. We got our lays right away and stood behind two families in the on-line check in line. Check in went smoothly. We had our room on the third floor of Rarotonga. To this day I have no idea how to pronounce that. Our room was ready right away. Oh – we need our stroller. I ask the gal that checked us in and she strolled out our beautiful double stroller we rented from Orlando stroller. Both girls were so excited. *A little side note. When we announced to our girls a week before we left that we’d be going to Disney World, the first thing Kate asked was about taking our stroller!* Lily couldn’t believe that she was going to get to ride in the stroller, too! It’s the little things, right?

So we head up to our room. It’s beautiful! We go to our balcony and realize our Garden View room has an obstructed view of the quiet pool. Perfect for us. We found out later on the trip that we’d be able to watch an obstructed (but good enough) view of Wishes right from our balcony. We call bell services to get our Garden Grocer delivery. Everything is perfect. We’re so excited to be at our new home for the week.

We were hungry, so we headed over to Captain Cook’s to get our first WDW lunch. Andy got the BBQ Pork Sandwich. Said it was okay. I got the grown up Grilled cheese – not my favorite. The girls both got chicken nuggets. Lily said they were even better than McDonald’s chicken nuggets! Andy and I tried our first helpings of the famed Dole Whips for dessert. They have a huge reputation for a reason. They’re scrumptious!!!

After lunch we went back to our room to attempt naps. Lily took the convertible day bed. Kate used a pack ‘n’ play – yeah, I know, we need to transition her to a toddler bed… Andy and I took one of the queens. Everyone fell asleep – except for me. I was too darn excited to sleep!

We got up from naps and hopped on the Monorail to the MK. I wanted to get oriented before our RD the next morning. It was so beautiful. I’m sorry I don’t have any pics of this. Our first day we found some Photopass photogs, but I had just realized I didn’t have my spare camera battery or chargers, so I was trying to conserve.

I had hoped to make it to Storytime with Belle, but we got to MK too late. We headed over to Monster’s Inc. It was cute. Lily thought it was fun. Andy got his mug on the big screen as the guy who was going to buy everyone churros. The girls thought that was really funny.

We headed over to Cosmic Ray’s to grab supper. Nothing special – just burgers and chicken nuggets. It was a decent meal…but we had better ones as the week progressed.

The girls were getting cranky, so we got on the monorail and headed back to the Poly to get to bed early.

Up next…our first MK day, Chef Mickeys :– and some actual WDW pictures.

Last edited by Disneyvirg; 06-26-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Should be Chef Mickeys - Not Princesses in Norway
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
queenof3
Eeyore's my favorite!

I am reading along...can't wait to hear about your trip!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Disneyvirg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenof3 View Post
I am reading along...can't wait to hear about your trip!
Oh Yeah, Queenof3!!! I really was beginning to think no one was going to read my TR. I'm working on the next segment now. I'll try to post yet tonight.

Thank you for reading - and for posting!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Disneyvirg
Mouseketeer

First MK day + Chef Mickey's for supper

We managed to get up, showered, dressed, eat breakfast, and make it to the monorail by about 8 AM. We were through the turnstiles and waiting at the rope by 8:15. We chatted with a nice family who has been to WDW several times. She uses TGM like we did, so we compared notes a bit. We headed for the next rope drop by about 8:50. About 9 AM we were off and running – er, walking quickly – to Dumbo.

Dumbo was great. We only waited for the first run to finish. We were first to pick our elephants. The girls were so excited.

Andy and Lily:

Kate:

They LOVED DUMBO! We hopped off and moved quickly to Peter, Pooh, Cindy’s Carousel, & IASW:

Here’s us in line at Pooh:

The girls really loved the Carousel. We jumped in line and got on the next round. The girl’s with their daddy on Cindy’s Carousel:

We headed over to Toontown around 10 AM. We hopped on Goofy’s Barnstormer right away. This was both girl’s first ever roller coaster ride. Kate LOVED it. Lily was a little frightened, but decided she liked it. There wasn’t a line yet, so they let us stay on and ride it again. We were happy to oblige. We were pretty psyched about all we had done already and got on the train to head over to Frontierland.

Once in Frontierland, we made our way to Big Thunder Mountain. We figured Goofy’s Barnstormer went so well that we should try a bigger coaster. Keep in mind that I really don’t like roller coasters…but I’m keeping my brave and happy face on for the girls. Kate rode with me. She loved it! She was giggling and screaming the whole way. I even impressed myself – I was a little scared, but trying to not seem like I was for Kate’s sake really helped me enjoy the ride. Lily didn’t fare so well with Andy. This ride scared her.

We got off the ride and immediately an older couple offered us their FP for Splash. We considered having Andy and Kate ride Splash, but for some reason decided against it.

We were getting hot and hungry, so we scoped out a spot for lunch. Peco’s Bill was our spot. It was only about 11:00 and just starting to get a crowd. Andy & I had burgers that we dressed up at the fixings bar. I think the girls had junior hamburgers. This was a pretty yummy place to eat.

After lunch we watched Mickey’s PhilharMagic. I thought the girls would really like it. Kate seemed so-so about it. Lily said it scared her. I think the stuff coming out at her was a little too much. Neither girl had much to say about the show afterwards.

Some pics of the girls before Philharmagic:

Lily waiting in the holding area:

Kate in her seat – such anticipation for the show!

After this, we left MK for the day. We rode the monorail back to the Poly. This was our first time swimming. I was so sure the girls would love the zero entry volcano pool. Of course, it was packed. There were just too many people. I told Andy we should check out the kiddie fountain play area. Unfortunately, the fountains weren’t working. We took a little stroll along the beach and ended up at the quiet pool. This became our pool of choice for the week.

After swimming, we went back to our room for a quick nap.

Supper was at Chef Mickey’s. We rode the monorail around to the Contemporary. Before our trip I went to the wonderful DISign board and got all kinds of great ideas for our trip. Tebi73 provided the Mickey hat heads and I grabbed the First Trip design from another designer (whose name now escapes me) to make the shirts we wore our first MK day. I also printed off autograph books. Guess where my beautiful autograph books were? That’s right – in the hotel room!!! We ran over to the gift shop while we were waiting to be called and grabbed a couple autograph books and pens to use with our first character encounter.

We were seated right at our ADR time. We went to the buffet right away. The girls got mac & cheese and the wonderful chicken nuggets Lily loves already. I got some roasted turkey, parmesean mashed potatoes with gravy, and some salads. Andy got the roast beef and potatoes. He had missed the turkey and went back for more of that later. We were very pleased with our supper – very tasty.

Now the real fun of the meal begins with Goofy. He’s the biggest character here – and Kate’s first exposure to a character. She did not react well at all. I was on the other side of the table trying to take pictures of Lily interacting with Goofy. Kate was screaming her little head off. Andy picked her up to console here. Here are some pics of Goofy:

Lily with Goofy:

Kate VERY unsure of Goofy:

Next was Donald:

I didn’t realize we didn’t take any pictures of the girls with Donald – I think they were both too scared to pose with the duck.

Next was Pluto. Kate loves to tell about the puppy writing on his nose. It’s super cute listening to her telling the story and pointing to her nose.

Next we got to meet the chef himself:

And…

Kate was most excited to meet Minnie. Somehow she had missed our table. We stuck around for a while after dessert and Minnie finally came over. At first Kate seemed okay with her. Once we tried to take the photo with her, Kate had different ideas of the giant mouse.

I think Mickey or Goofy gave Kate a thumbs up at one point – the rest of the trip she’d stick her little thumb up to let us know that something was okay. It took me a little while to figure our where she had acquired that move.

After our wonderful meal we boarded the monorail and rode back to the Poly. The fireworks were at 9:00, so we sat on our balcony – the girls in their pjs – and watched the beautiful fireworks. What a magical first full Disney day!

Up next: Epcot RD and Princesses in Norway
Old 06-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

hi Carissa!!

I followed your link from CP's TR.... looks like a great time!

Love the pics!!

Paula
Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

Great picture from CM I look forward to the rest of your report. I love the shirts.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
Old 06-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Just found you from your link on CP's thread, I'm subbing and will read in the morning......
Old 06-28-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
SunnieRN
DIS Veteran

What sweethearts your princesses are!! Looking forward to more. Love the shirts!

Thanks eandesmom!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 02:40 AM   #10
TinkyCheeks
Mouseketeer

Great start to the TR! You have a beautiful family.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:41 AM   #11
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I'm here!!! I am so glad you decided to do a trip report!!! Your little girls are adorable!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Carissa- (love your name btw) I followed your link over from CP's trippie also-(don't worry-shameless self promotion is harmless and highly underated...)

Your daughters are adorable!

My DD who is now 14-when did that happen...-wouldn't go on anything she considered "scary" until a couple of years ago-11ish-and trust me you'd be surprised at how many rides can be considered scary...let's just say we rode "It's a Small World" alot....

DH and I joke that DD and DS are actually great riding buddies now-since he'll ride anything he's tall enough for (he'll be 7 in August) and she is just now enjoying all of those ride although as she herself will tell you she will not now or ever again go on those tea cups...

The Poly is lovely...

More trippie...
Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #13
tiggerfan6
Wishing upon a star

I'm in... Your daughter's are so cute. We are going in November, this will bem me kids 1st trip. My daughter, Grace, also scared of loud noises. Hates the sounds of toliets flushing. Can't wait to read more!
POFQ November 2013

Old 06-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
Disneyvirg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvCrush View Post
hi Carissa!!

I followed your link from CP's TR.... looks like a great time!

Love the pics!!

Paula
Hello Paula! Thanks for joining my TR! So happy to have some readers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post
Great picture from CM I look forward to the rest of your report. I love the shirts.
Thank you! We were surprised how many people we passed by that we would overhear commenting on our shirts to their fellow travellers. Looking at the DISign threads, we kind of assumed we'd see personalized shirts all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Just found you from your link on CP's thread, I'm subbing and will read in the morning......
Thank you for joining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnieRN View Post
What sweethearts your princesses are!! Looking forward to more. Love the shirts!
Thank you for the nice comments. I'll try to get another installment out today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkyCheeks View Post
Great start to the TR! You have a beautiful family.
Thank you for reading and the nice comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I'm here!!! I am so glad you decided to do a trip report!!! Your little girls are adorable!
Yay! Jackie found me. Thanks for the comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Carissa- (love your name btw) I followed your link over from CP's trippie also-(don't worry-shameless self promotion is harmless and highly underated...)

Your daughters are adorable!

My DD who is now 14-when did that happen...-wouldn't go on anything she considered "scary" until a couple of years ago-11ish-and trust me you'd be surprised at how many rides can be considered scary...let's just say we rode "It's a Small World" alot....

DH and I joke that DD and DS are actually great riding buddies now-since he'll ride anything he's tall enough for (he'll be 7 in August) and she is just now enjoying all of those ride although as she herself will tell you she will not now or ever again go on those tea cups...

The Poly is lovely...

More trippie...
Thanks, I like my name, too - other than it gets butchered quite often.

I'm so glad my shameless promotion is somewhat acceptable!

I think Lily got scared a couple times on Pooh and Peter, even. Not the bravest soul in the world. Glad your DD is like Lily. It can be frustrating at times, but it's also nice that it probably keeps them safe in the long run. Kate, on the other hand, is maybe a little too brave. The kid has already had one broken arm. When she's dangling off some piece of furniture or playground equipment, we remind her that if she's not careful she could break her arm again.

Yes, we love the Poly. I'll throw some pictures of our view in a later installment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfan6 View Post
I'm in... Your daughter's are so cute. We are going in November, this will bem me kids 1st trip. My daughter, Grace, also scared of loud noises. Hates the sounds of toliets flushing. Can't wait to read more!
Welcome tiggerfan6! Your kids will have a fab time. I'll try to throw in warnings of the attractions with loud noises that bothered my girls. Some of them were just so darn loud. Not sure why they have to get so carried away with volume!
Old 06-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
shannon47142
DIS Veteran

love the matching shirts!!! Chef Mickey's is great fun--well, except for the little one

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: