Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
chris4disney
Yes, I'm a Disney freak... and I'm okay with that.

Can you play a Nintendo DS while on an airplane?

Our DS5 has a Nintendo DS that I was hoping he could take with us on the plane ride to WDW next month to keep him busy. But now DH is wondering if that is possible since the Nintendo DS has wifi and if the airline is going to have a problem with that, just like don't let you use cell phones during flight. I don't know much about the nintendo DS, we haven't had it very long. But I know that our son will not be trying to connect with anything or anyone via wifi while on the plane. Does that matter?

TIA

Oct. 2013 BCV F&W, MNSSHP, Dec. 2012 BCV & BWV Boardwalk View!! MVMCP, La NOUBA, Oct. 2011 BLT & BCV 10th Anniversary trip! F&W, KTTK Tour , Oct. 2010 BCV F&W, MNSSHP, Sep. 2009 POP Free Dining, F&W, Oct. 2008 BCV & BWV F&W, MNSSHP, Jan. 2008 AKL Our first ADULTS ONLY trip!, Oct. 2007 BCV F&W, MNSSHP, Nov. 2006 POR MVMCP, Sep. 2005 AS-Sports Free Dining , Nov. 2004 AKL Platinum Plan
chris4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
fimac
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

The boys are asked to keep the Ds switch off during takeoff and landing. Other wise he should be able to play it.
fimac is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
abdmom
DIS Veteran

My kids play their DS's all the time on airplanes. Like all electronic devices, they need to be shutoff on takeoff and landing though.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
HappieMommie
Oh, Mickey. I miss you.

Oh, thank the Lord, for real!! :D We just got our son one for that sole purpose (although I totally love playing it when he's in bed!)!! It should provide a lot of entertainment for the 8 hour flights/layovers from Alberta, Canada to Florida.

HappieDaddie HappieMommie HappieNoah HappieElla HappieCohen
HappieMommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
chris4disney
Yes, I'm a Disney freak... and I'm okay with that.

Thanks everyone. I was hoping that DH was wrong because that would be a very long flight from Ohio to Orlando for our son (and us! ) if he couldn't play his precious DS. Now all I have to do is find something to keep DD2 occupied for 4 hours.

Oct. 2013 BCV F&W, MNSSHP, Dec. 2012 BCV & BWV Boardwalk View!! MVMCP, La NOUBA, Oct. 2011 BLT & BCV 10th Anniversary trip! F&W, KTTK Tour , Oct. 2010 BCV F&W, MNSSHP, Sep. 2009 POP Free Dining, F&W, Oct. 2008 BCV & BWV F&W, MNSSHP, Jan. 2008 AKL Our first ADULTS ONLY trip!, Oct. 2007 BCV F&W, MNSSHP, Nov. 2006 POR MVMCP, Sep. 2005 AS-Sports Free Dining , Nov. 2004 AKL Platinum Plan
chris4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Just make sure the battery is charged before you go. DS has been in charge of DS battery charging before a flight for quite a while. It's his major responsibility before we take a flight. After the one trip where the battery ran out, he never forgets.

Charging overnight should get you up to a full charge. And don't forget to take the charger with you so that it can be recharged to full capacity for the flight home.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
camouseketeer
DIS Veteran

Please bring headphones for it.

Handheld toys will probably need to be turned up loudly to be heard, and will be able to be heard by all around. It's not a pleasant to have to listen to it when you don't get to play it too!
camouseketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
Stephres
Likes Disney and Scrapbooking
All my dolls were very cozy!

Also, be aware of what he is playing. My son was playing a teen rated game with other kids on the plane. Apparently they can invite you to play even if you don't have the game. I had no idea until much later!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #9
imthatgirl
DIS Veteran

i played with my daughter ds the whole way to and from disney last week.

oh and if you need a little charge there are chairs with outlets at the airport. we always made sure to keep hers plugged in the whole time we were there.
imthatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

On airtran anyway..

they made announcements when you could use/not use your electronic devises. I thought it was funny, 'cause they listed about 20 things. DSs were one of them.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

If you are depending on a powered device for kid entertainment, it is a REALLY good idea to bring a short extension cord outlet splitter. This will allow you to double up on a power outlet if all of the ones at the gate are in use.

I keep one in my carry on at all times. It is two feet long and has 4 outlets on it. DS always uses the A/C cord when playing at the gate, to conserve the battery power for the flight itself.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: