Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2015, 02:47 AM   #1
Mrsktbrown
Earning My Ears

Poly or WL Club Level??

My family is taking our first trip to DWD after spending time at Disneyland. We will hopefully be making the trip to DWD yearly or every other year from here on out. We don't want to spend more than necessary, but we are sold on a deluxe resort. Is CL WL worth more than Poly?
Mrsktbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:14 AM   #2
BellsFam
DIS Veteran

That may depend in when you are going. ThePily is currently undergoing construction and closures, you should look further into the dates on the thread to see if your travel will be impacted...

That being said, if it's not , I would choose Poly myself. If it is WL hands down.

Both are deluxes, both are short distance to MK, the Poly having monorail access is a plus, both (seem to) have gorgeous theming, (Ive not stayed WL). WL rooms are smaller and do not offer the 5th person bed.

The Poly CL is in a building of its own, all other rooms are in long houses, (buildings) on the property with the main house having the restaurants, lobby, shopping, etc. The WL is one building and CL you are in one section of it on a certain floor.

Just all things I factor in when choosing our hotel...

Hope some of that is helpful!!! Hope you have a great time!
*WDW Polynesian Concierge 05/2003 ~ *Universal Studios Wyndham Orlando Resort 06/2004 ~ *Honeymoon Grand Velas, Puerto Vallarta 09/2006 ~ *Western Caribbean Cruise, Carnival 05/2007 ~ *Nothing for a few years ~ *WDW Swan 09/2012 ~ *WDW Lake Buena Vista Resort 05/2013 ~ *Contemporary Concierge 04/2015 ~

BellsFam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
happymommy
DIS Veteran

Do you mean a standard room at the Poly versus a club room at WL?

It really depends. If it's your first trip to Disneyworld, and your'e not spending much time at the resort (you'll be exploring the theme parks all day) then maybe not. If you plan on enjoying the resort a lot, and will have the continental breakfast in the lounge, and appetizers/wine/beer in the evenings, then yes club may be "worth it". It is nice to have somewhere to go other than the room to relax - the lounge is like an extension of your room. We've only done club at AKL, and it was wonderful (their evening appetizers were so good that it was dinner a couple of nights). It doesn't compare to a Ritz Carlton, but it is much better than many hotel chains club levels for sure. If it's at an off hour when beer and wine isn't out, they'd always go get me some if I wanted a glass of wine early afternoon, and I could take it to the room and relax on the balcony with it.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

I'll base my following recommendation on the idea that you plan on returning to WDW every year or so. I'll assume, also, your stays will be at least 7 nights as it appears you're from the west coast and a short trip doesn't seem practical given the up cost of travel.

I would stay WL CL. CL is magical as you'll get. And since you'll be back, I suggest a character breakfast at the Poly during this stay. Next time you can stay at the Poly, and by then it won't be construction city.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #5
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

I'd go for the WL CL over a regular room at the Poly. For a family, it's really convenient to have additional space to hang out that's not in the room, but very close by. This helps out if you have an early riser in the group, or if any of the kids still take naps.

We really appreciated having breakfast right in the lounge, and having snacks and drinks available to grab when you return to the hotel if you are ones to take an afternoon break. There is a fancy coffee machine that makes delicious cappuccino, latte, and hot chocolate drinks throughout the day and evening.

The evening appetizers save you some money if you are an appetizer and drinks before dinner person. For my family, it's a way to tide us over for a very late ADR. My kids love the desserts at the end of the night, and my husband likes a glass of wine or beer at the end of the day.

We've been spoiled by our club level stays!

Now if you are asking about WL vs. Poly and both are club level, I'd still do WL if you are planning to go in 2015. The Poly pools will be under construction for much of this year. The main pool is down right now, and as soon as it's done, they will take the quiet pool out of commission. In my opinion, this means the single pool will be more crowded than normal, which is not ideal.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
whiporee
Mouseketeer

If you're doing CL at the Poly, remember that the view rooms also overlook the DVC bungalows. Not an issue on the third floor, a small one on the second but a big deal on the first. And that Hawaii's beach also looks right at the bungalows. Those don't show up on any maps of the property that I've seen, so you might not know they were there before you arrived. And then you might be bummed.

I think Fiji has suites that are also CL, but I've never stayed in them so I don't know.
whiporee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Consider which parks you'll be spending the most time at. If you'll mostly be at Magic Kingdom, it's not hard to hop the monorail to/from the Poly and make use of the CL offerings. I haven't stayed at WL, but it's probably not hard to take the boat back there either from Magic Kingdom.

But if you're going to spend time at Animal Kingdom, Epcot or Hollywood Studios, and if you like getting an early start in the mornings, you might find you have to leave in the morning before the CL breakfast is out, and you might find yourself far from your resort and missing the afternoon food there too.

Along the same lines, do you plan to make a lot of dining reservations? The dining reservations can take you away from the CL at the times when they have food and drinks out. Or maybe you've decided on CL no matter what, I wasn't sure from reading the OP.

I've stayed CL at Poly and Yacht Club, not WL. If most of the construction was done at the Poly, that would be my choice. I don't know how those new bungalows will affect the Poly CL experience, though… they might be annoying, but if you haven't seen it before then it probably won't bother you.

You'll have a more in-the-middle-of-it-all feeling at the Poly, in a good way. It doesn't feel hustle-and-bustle-y, but it feels close to things because you can see the other monorail resorts and you're on the monorail. The WL feels more set apart (my impression from going there for meals), even though it's really not far.

Good luck and have fun!
housetomouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: