Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
rsimon
Disney Junkie

Angry Black marks left by Washer/Dryer in DVC

We have stayed at the Grand Floridian DVC and now BLT this year and we are getting black streaks and marks on our clothes. We didn't have any of this happening in the previous years so it may be the newer units they are putting in.

We have called their maintenance and they have no clue as to why or what to fix. Since this has happened at two different places now at different times, I am thinking it is either the machine itself or a maintenance practice that is causing it.

Very irritating to have your clothes all marked up after washing them.

Has anyone else had this problem??
2010 - June - BLT-AKV | Aug - BWV | Oct - AKV | Dec - BLT
2011 - May - BLT | Oct - BLT | Dec - BLT
2012 - Feb - BLT | May- BCV | Sept - Grand Cal | Oct - AKL
2013 - Jan - Aulani | Oct -BLT/AKL
2014 - Mar - GFV | May - BLT | Oct - SSR/BLT

Upcoming Trips
2014 - Dec - BLT
2015 - Feb - Aulani
rsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
PCFriar80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimon View Post
We have stayed at the Grand Floridian DVC and now BLT this year and we are getting black streaks and marks on our clothes. We didn't have any of this happening in the previous years so it may be the newer units they are putting in.

We have called their maintenance and they have no clue as to why or what to fix. Since this has happened at two different places now at different times, I am thinking it is either the machine itself or a maintenance practice that is causing it.

Very irritating to have your clothes all marked up after washing them.

Has anyone else had this problem??
This happened to us at the BCVs during our stay in early May. It was isolated to a pair of khaki shorts as most of the other clothes were darker [so I couldn't tell one way or the other], but it looked like pen or pencil markings down both sides. I eventually rubbed it out but thought it was odd as I could find no other source for the streaks, not to mention the perfect "straightness" of the lines.
PCFriar80 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

We had this happen to our clothes at home. I forgot what the cause was, but it an issue that comes up with some dryers. (I'm thinking it was a gasket or something but I could be wrong. It was years ago) We eventually got a new dryer. For them not to know seems odd because it isn't extremely uncommon.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
rsimon
Disney Junkie

We are actually here right now at BLT. It appears to be the dryer causing it and it is definitely black grease streaks. The really light weight clothes get it the most. We have to use simple green to get it out but we are reduced to having to hang dry things at this point if they don't fix it.

Trying to get them to realize this is a flaw with this brand of washer/dryer units with lack of maintenance (found references on the internet from home owners complaining about these units). This is really getting irritating because we can't trust the dryer to not mark up our clothes even though not all of our stays have had this issue, the last two have.

Upcoming Trips
2014 - Dec - BLT
2015 - Feb - Aulani
Old 05-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
rsimon
Disney Junkie

Updated Status - BEWARE

Just an update on this. They found the issue to be one with the "newer model" washer/dryer units. They found where it was coming from and the "thinner" clothes are getting caught in the area of the dryer and pick up the grease. They replaced the unit with an "older one" and we are trying it, but basically these units are junk.

Just BEWARE that these units they are putting in and replacing older ones with now have this issue and hopefully they will fix them because it is not fun to pull your clothes out with greasy marks all over them.

Upcoming Trips
2014 - Dec - BLT
2015 - Feb - Aulani
Old 05-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Best Aunt
"That's the best-est present ever!"

who is choosing these appliances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimon View Post
Trying to get them to realize this is a flaw with this brand of washer/dryer units with lack of maintenance (found references on the internet from home owners complaining about these units). This is really getting irritating because we can't trust the dryer to not mark up our clothes even though not all of our stays have had this issue, the last two have.
Maybe the dryers were chosen by the same person who chose the refrigerators a few years back.

Best Aunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Aunt View Post
Maybe the dryers were chosen by the same person who chose the refrigerators a few years back.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Someone will accuse me of drinking the Disney Kool-Aid (and yes, I don't like that reference but it's something most will refer to) but, what can Disney do at this point? The dryers are defective so they should pull them all out and replace them, right?

And then what would people in the DVC units do until all the dryers are replaced? Same thing as with the fridges. Make more posts on this board to find out if there are dryers that don't make the marks and then wonder if they can get a credit because there isn't a dryer. Disney went with a dryer that didn't work. Offer suggestions on how Disney can fix it without taking all dryers out all at once.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
Someone will accuse me of drinking the Disney Kool-Aid (and yes, I don't like that reference but it's something most will refer to) but, what can Disney do at this point? The dryers are defective so they should pull them all out and replace them, right?

And then what would people in the DVC units do until all the dryers are replaced? Same thing as with the fridges. Make more posts on this board to find out if there are dryers that don't make the marks and then wonder if they can get a credit because there isn't a dryer. Disney went with a dryer that didn't work. Offer suggestions on how Disney can fix it without taking all dryers out all at once.
They can either replace them in phases like they did with the fridge, leaving some exposed to the potential for grease marks, or they can pull them all out and the ones that are stuck without a dryer for a while can be given a credit to use in the laundry room. I don't know if they dryers in the laundry room take quarters or cards but either way, something could be done to make them free for those without a dryer for a short time. Not as convenient but still a viable option - every standard refurbishment would fall under that category as well.

Disney bought dryers in bulk that turned out to be cheap junk ruining clothes. They have to make good.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:05 AM   #10
oopinkisfunoo
Mouseketeer

YES!!

We were at CBR in October and I did a load of laundry one afternoon. But for us it happened in the wash. Took the clothes out to throw in the dryer/hang dry and there was black marks all over everything.

I was SO upset. I spent a lot of time and money making my girls all their handmade clothing for Disney World. I tried washing it again and it didn't come out.

I ended up going to the information desk and complaining.
They offered to dry clean everything free of charge and thankfully everything came out.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
They can either replace them in phases like they did with the fridge, leaving some exposed to the potential for grease marks, or they can pull them all out and the ones that are stuck without a dryer for a while can be given a credit to use in the laundry room. I don't know if they dryers in the laundry room take quarters or cards but either way, something could be done to make them free for those without a dryer for a short time. Not as convenient but still a viable option - every standard refurbishment would fall under that category as well.

Disney bought dryers in bulk that turned out to be cheap junk ruining clothes. They have to make good.
And I agree. BUT, there will be DVC owners who will post on this board and others about how they pay X amount of money and have this happen. And you are already posting about having dryers for free. Point made about people complaining about having to have a bad business decision pay off for the customer. Now, if that happens, will you complain about your DVC membership increasing?
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #12
ceecee
DIS Veteran

I have a 2 year old LG set that does the same thing. I mostly notice it on DD's white dress shirts.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
JSTX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post

If the washer/dryers are defective and are creating the black grease marks on our clothing than they are worthless to DVC members anyhow. How can you feel comfortable doing laundry if you have to worry about your clothes being ruined with black grease marks?

Yes, Disney purchased them in bulk but they should all still be under warranty and I am sure GE wants to maintain their relationship with Disney. I am sure the replacement can be a staged process. It doesn't take them log to swap out the units, if they have the replacement units.

I definitely think Disney needs to resolve this ASAP.
May 14-22, 2011 - Bay Lake Tower | December 16-19, 2010 - Boardwalk Villas/Beach Club | October 2-9, 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo - Grand Villa) | August 14-16, 2010 - Boardwalk Villas | June 11-18, 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) and Bay Lake Tower | October 4 - 12, 2009 - Bay Lake Tower and Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) | July 15-20, 2009 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) and Tree House Villas | January 17-24, 2009 - Animal Kingdom Villas and Saratoga Springs Resort | September 27-29, 2008 - Saratoga Springs Resort | July 29-Aug 5, 2008 - Boardwalk Villas and Animal Kingdom Villas | January 2008 - Old Key West | July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas | March 2007 - (Offsite) Marriott Grand Vista | October 2006 - (Offsite) Marriott Grand Vista | August 2005 - (Offsite) Marriott Grand Vista
JSTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: