Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #31
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

We have decided to split our main fish extender group of 37 staterooms into 3groups, but I think I will be giving out more than one gift per stateroom. I have one "home area" gift per stateroom which I will making, and then specific things for Halloween and for Pirate night and specific things for the children also. I may even make extra things for staterooms not on my list if I happen to pass any on my travels. We are also having a trick or treat so I will be taking things for that too! It's all very exciting and I am really looking forward to the Fish Extender exchange, especially as it is my first cruise! Now all I need to do is get on with making the fish extenders and the gifts!
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #32
RRBB
I think I'm in the mood for Tonga Toast
You're really corrupting our little dragon!
I could use a relaxing dip in a chocolate hot tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyAngelic View Post
WOW - thats a lot of cabins - I thought we had a lot with 37 staterooms participating! We have also decided to split up our FE exchange into 3 groups of 12 / 13 to make it more manageable. Did you actually deliver to 136 staterooms or did you split them up!
We designed and had pins - similar to Disney trading pins - made that we distributed. We gave 1 package of 2 pins per family. So if a family had more than one stateroom listed in the FE exchange, we only left at one of them. (There were occassional exceptions to this rule, but we just didn't have enough made for 1/person.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
Have you ever been dissapointed with a FE gift you have received???

I spent a decent amount of money on our FE gifts..they are personalized.
But because of this I can only give two per stateroom on the list.

I am afraid people will be upset that there were only two and not one for each person in the cabin. I know if I post this on our meets thread everyone will say that of course they would not be upset...but I would like to hear more opinions.

(sorry I can't say exactly what they are but my thread peeps are *everywhere*!)
No, we loved opening our door to leave or coming back to the room and seeing new things in our FE. The fun was in the giving and the finding new surprises more than what we received.

<--- CLICK HERE!

Robin

Sep-08 VAKL: 2 nights (DVC) ~Aug-08 Magic 15-day EB Repo Cruise (DVC) ~ Oct-07 BCV: 8 nights (DVC) ~ Oct-06 Wonder 4-day S.S. Member Cruise (DVC) ~ Oct-06 BCV: 8 nights (DVC) ~ Oct-05 SSR: 8 nights (DVC) ~ Oct-04 BCV: 8 nights (DVC) ~ May-04 VWL: 9 nights (DVC) ~ Oct-03 GC: 4 nights ~ May-03 BCV: 8 nights (DVC) ~ Feb-03 Wonder 4-day S.S. Member Cruise (DVC) ~ Jan-03 BCV: 3 nights (DVC) ~ Oct-02 Polynesian: 5 nights (DVC) ~ Royal Pacific Resort: 3 nights ~ Apr-02 BWV: 7 nights (DVC) ~ Hard Rock Hotel: 1 night ~ Oct-01 Magic 7-day Cruise (DVC) ~ Oct-00 OKW: 5 nights (DVC) ~ Feb-00 Wonder 3-day Cruise (DVC) ~ Apr-99 Contempory: 4 nights ~ Feb-99 OKW: 2 nights ~ Aug-98 GF: 3 nights
RRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #33
Stepht5
Just trying to make it to our next Disney vacation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBB View Post
We designed and had pins - similar to Disney trading pins - made that we distributed. We gave 1 package of 2 pins per family. So if a family had more than one stateroom listed in the FE exchange, we only left at one of them. (There were occassional exceptions to this rule, but we just didn't have enough made for 1/person.)

No, we loved opening our door to leave or coming back to the room and seeing new things in our FE. The fun was in the giving and the finding new surprises more than what we received.
Were yours the Black flags???

There were several gifts that I told dh we needed to find out where they had them made! LOL! Just in case I need *bulk* stuff again!
GF/Wonder Oct '05 GF/Wonder Feb '06 10nt Southern Wonder Sept '06 ABD Spirit of America Aug '07 15nt EBRC Aug '08/GF Sept '08 AKL Sept/Oct '09 First DVC trip! SS Dec '09 SS Grand Villa Oct '10 AKV Dec '10 DL March '11Magic Oct'11 Fantasy June'12TR for ABD Spirit of America http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1583209

Stepht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #34
RRBB
I think I'm in the mood for Tonga Toast
You're really corrupting our little dragon!
I could use a relaxing dip in a chocolate hot tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepht5 View Post
Were yours the Black flags???

There were several gifts that I told dh we needed to find out where they had them made! LOL! Just in case I need *bulk* stuff again!
Yes. I'll send you a PM with the link where we had them made. It was a lot of fun deciding what to do and designing them for the FE.

<--- CLICK HERE!

Robin

Sep-08 VAKL: 2 nights (DVC) ~Aug-08 Magic 15-day EB Repo Cruise (DVC) ~ Oct-07 BCV: 8 nights (DVC) ~ Oct-06 Wonder 4-day S.S. Member Cruise (DVC) ~ Oct-06 BCV: 8 nights (DVC) ~ Oct-05 SSR: 8 nights (DVC) ~ Oct-04 BCV: 8 nights (DVC) ~ May-04 VWL: 9 nights (DVC) ~ Oct-03 GC: 4 nights ~ May-03 BCV: 8 nights (DVC) ~ Feb-03 Wonder 4-day S.S. Member Cruise (DVC) ~ Jan-03 BCV: 3 nights (DVC) ~ Oct-02 Polynesian: 5 nights (DVC) ~ Royal Pacific Resort: 3 nights ~ Apr-02 BWV: 7 nights (DVC) ~ Hard Rock Hotel: 1 night ~ Oct-01 Magic 7-day Cruise (DVC) ~ Oct-00 OKW: 5 nights (DVC) ~ Feb-00 Wonder 3-day Cruise (DVC) ~ Apr-99 Contempory: 4 nights ~ Feb-99 OKW: 2 nights ~ Aug-98 GF: 3 nights
RRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #35
mdhkitten
No longer tag free since January 2006!
so if you see a redhead, it's me!!

BTW, about the FE that was shown earlier...........I got the same one for my cruise in May, but it was in pink. I got it off of eBay. Here is a link to the seller. It looks like they only have blue available right now, but usually have others (if you want a different color, I'd suggest contacting them):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Disney-Mickey-Mo...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a link to a pink one (different seller):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Disney-Mickey-Mo...QQcmdZViewItem

BTW, these don't pull up if you're searching for "fish extenders". I've had to enter "Mickey Mouse hanging storage" to find these guys.
mdhkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #36
mdhkitten
No longer tag free since January 2006!
so if you see a redhead, it's me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb View Post
Any particular Store you had
good luck finding things at?

I had seen on other FE posts that people suggested checking out www.orientaltrading.com to find gifts for the exchange. I used them on both my last cruise and my upcoming one. They work out well because you can buy things in bulk, there's all sorts of neat things (too many to choose from!), and it's fairly inexpensive. BTW, they have all sorts of neat pirate stuff!
mdhkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #37
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
there were lots of FEs on rooms not in our group but it was fun seeing everyone's FE and decorated doors.
Now that's interesting.

I thought the FE was a DIS-exclusive kind of thing.

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #38
robsmom
loved it so much we might go back

We had 54 cabins participating on our first cruise. i made the mistake of thinking at first that all FE's were ours. i quickly realized i would run out and had to go back and retrieve some from doors not on the list. I had about 60 bags and i gave 2 to a couple of rooms that i knew had a bunch of kids, but somehow i did run out. i must have given to some not on the list. i felt bad because i had to skip one room at the end!!

Some things i enjoyed - day one a survival bag with bandaids, rubber bands, 2 clothing pins, q-tips, and a few other things. came in handy

we loved the candy - nice treats and do not have to be packed to go home.

we loved the magnets added to our doors as the trip went on

we loved the pens/pads - again useful.

pirate stuff was great for pirate night

We really were not disappointed in anything as it is really about the fun of finding things each time you come back to your room. the above things stand out. pretty sure i am doing candy this time.
Wilderness Lodge 7/05
Vistana 6/07
DCL 8/07
DCL, Wilderness Lodge, AKL 11/08
Yacht Club 11/09
robsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #39
amwhitaker
Not happy unless I'm going to Disney. I will NEVER grow up!

Anyone have any good ideas where I can find an inexpensive FE? I sure wish the Dollar Store would sell them!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #40
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhkitten View Post
I had seen on other FE posts that people suggested checking out www.orientaltrading.com to find gifts for the exchange. I used them on both my last cruise and my upcoming one. They work out well because you can buy things in bulk, there's all sorts of neat things (too many to choose from!), and it's fairly inexpensive. BTW, they have all sorts of neat pirate stuff!
Wow Great Idea.
THANKS!
I already get their catalogue.
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #41
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBB View Post
Yes. I'll send you a PM with the link where we had them made. It was a lot of fun deciding what to do and designing them for the FE.

Those are fantastic!!! I didn't want to share with the kids but had the dilema of them both trading for pins. DS came up to me one day so happy that he had found a pin for our cruise....a 3rd pin!!! No more dilema. LOL!

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #42
DVCsince02
Everyone knows is better

Great thread!

I'm actually going in on a group gift. About 5 or 6 of us are combining our monies to give a better gift. Then we can also share the responsibility of delivering the gifts. Saving us precious vacation time.

DVCsince02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #43
dahirsh
DIS Veteran

What about if you are traveling without kids? Is is still fun to participate?

April 1978 Offsite April 1979 Offsite Dec 1999/Jan 2000 All Star Movies May 2002 All Star Sports Oct 2003 All Star Movies June 2006 All Star Sports
October 2007 Pop Century January 2009 Pop Century October 2011 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century October 2013 Pop Century
dahirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #44
cristit14
An older I am Dorky Wafflebrains
I really need to pay attention when I am walking
I named my goldfish Horsey and Donkey

Here is a picture of our FE from our cruise last December.

We only had about 8 rooms participating in the exchange. It seems like most of us had stuff for each day to deliver. We all put something from our homestate in there. We had some ornaments, some pencils, postcards, candy, pirate stuff. It was a lot of fun.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #45
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
Now that's interesting.

I thought the FE was a DIS-exclusive kind of thing.
Not anymore.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: