Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully

fish extender gift giving etiquette

Can someone direct me to a thread
on the "ins and outs" of the Fish Extender gifties -
How you give them?
To who do you give them?
When do you give them?
Do you do it anonymously?
Do you give them to everyone?
Do you do it for everyday?
What type of things do you give?
I don't want to be guilty of a Fish Extender faux pas!
HELP!
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
seadooken
Got a Caribbean Soul I can Barely Control . . .

Good questions, I would like to hear for myself.
seadooken is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

First, have you joined your cruise meet thread? Have they organized a FE exchange?

We had a couple of organizers on our cruise meet thread who also made all of our FE's for everyone. They asked who wanted to participate (everybody on our thread did) and then they sort of made a schedule and PM'd it to all of us so that someone was assigned to every day and not everybody did the same day. Some people went ahead and delivered trinkets every day tho anyway I think 'cuz we usually had a couple of things per day. People deliver their items whenever they can fit it into their day. No set time. Ours was set up to be anonymous but we were pretty much able to figure out who gave what anyway based on the items they gave.

We got things like a small dry erase board, a lanyard, frig. magnets, Disney pencils and post-it note pads, stickers, candles, picture frames, candy, sand dollars etc. I made little gift bags to give and included a pen from a local national event, I made frig. magnets and luggage tags and also included some pirate stickers and a magnetic photo frame.

What you need to establish first tho is if there is a group doing a FE exchange on your cruise!! Go over to the cruise meet threads and look for a thread for your ship and cruise dates!! Join the thread and find out if one has been started yet!

But stay tuned….2nd trip report coming soon for Disneyland and Aulani 2014.

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
seadooken
Got a Caribbean Soul I can Barely Control . . .

Sounds like a lot of fun. Do people wrap the gifts?
seadooken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
First, have you joined your cruise meet thread? Have they organized a FE exchange?!
Yep - we've got a thread - I started it long ago

Some of the DIS members on the thread are participating-
but not all. We do know the room numbers.

So far we don't have assigned days.

Thanks for the info you supplied.

Anyone else have any advise on this Fishy thing?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise
We cruised under a DVC flag - how cool is that?!?

Each group does it a bit different. Like Annie we've had a sign up and a cut off date to give people a chance to make/buy their gifts. Here is what our fish extender looked like one morning last years Member Cruise.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWLVR View Post
Each group does it a bit different. Like Annie we've had a sign up and a cut off date to give people a chance to make/buy their gifts. Here is what our fish extender looked like one morning last years Member Cruise.

WOW - where'd you get that cool FE!?!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise
We cruised under a DVC flag - how cool is that?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb View Post
WOW - where'd you get that cool FE!?!
Got if off of ebay back in 2005. I believe it is the same that were given as gifts on the 2005 WB repo cruise (where the whole FE thing got started). The DISer who started it I think was from Ohio and so was this woman on Ebay who was selling them.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We just came back from the EB repo and the FE was loaded every day...all day it seemed. We had over 136 staterooms signed up and the organizer made up a list by deck of all the rooms and how many people/kids were in each one. There was no set time or day for delivering your gifts. Some people chose them based on the theme of the day and delivered that that day. We decorated keychain maracas and stamped "EB PC REPO 2008" on them and delivered the the day of the Mexican/Tropical deck party.

The kids picked out gifts for their email pals on the cruise too so we delivered those seperately and did wrap them.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
Disneyelf10
DIS Veteran

Hi,
just a question to continue on the FE etiquette - I read somewhere that you dont have to give a gift to get a gift. Do you think most people participate or sign up and then don't give a little gift back? Just curious to see what other's think. It was fun to participate in the FE exchange recently, but we had a large group and it seemed like the FE was empty more than it was filled. We didnt have assigned days. Now please don't get me wrong, I had fun and hope all enjoyed my gifts but I was looking to see what ideas/items people came up with and they really weren't there. It was a little dissappointing.... I loved a couple of them!-magnets, luggage tags, pirate stuff...
thanks for any comments.

Last edited by Disneyelf10; 09-06-2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Disneyelf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

IMO you should only sign up to participate in the FE exchange if you are going to actually participate and give something as well. It wouldn't be very much fun if 80% of the people on the list didn't actually participate...then what is the point. It doesn't have to be an expensive thing either. The mini maracas I bought were on sale for .12 each [x 125] and the kids painted them then I stamped them and attacked the gift tag. Some of the neatest ones were the things that people designed entirely themselves. It is more the time and thought that is put into the items that makes them special. My favorite probably was the postcard that one of the people printed out with the route pictured and stamps from the countries we visited attached. We do the FE for the kids and they love discovering the goodies every day. I would never sign up if I didn't intend to distribute something in return. Before participating in this we did Tink gifts for the kids, which were put out by our host every night with the towel animal.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
gssmks
Believing in Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyelf10 View Post
Hi,
just a question to continue on the FE etiquette - I read somewhere that you dont have to give a gift to get a gift. Do you think most people participate or sign up and then don't give a little gift back? Just curious to see what other's think. It was fun to participate in the FE exchange recently, but we had a large group and it seemed like the FE was empty more than it was filled. We didnt have assigned days. Now please don't get me wrong, I had fun and hope all enjoyed my gifts but I was looking to see what ideas/items people came up with and they really weren't there. It was a little dissappointing.... I loved a couple of them!-magnets, luggage tags, pirate stuff...
thanks for any comments.
I can't imagine someone signing up just to get gifts and not be willing to give. How selfish that is! I have had so much fun planning my FE gift. I would share my ideas, but we haven't sailed yet (10-11-08).
gssmks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
EyeDisneyCruise
Mouseketeer

What are some of the FE gifts that people have received and liked the most/least?
EyeDisneyCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:26 AM   #14
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
We had over 136 staterooms signed up and the organizer made up a list by deck of all the rooms and how many people/kids were in each one. There was no set time or day for delivering your gifts.
WOW - thats a lot of cabins - I thought we had a lot with 37 staterooms participating! We have also decided to split up our FE exchange into 3 groups of 12 / 13 to make it more manageable. Did you actually deliver to 136 staterooms or did you split them up!
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:30 AM   #15
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I have just come back from the 5 night special cruise on the Magic and I delivered to all of the 127 cabins on the roster. I did decks 6, 7 and 8 in the afternoon of the Castaway Cay Day and then 2 and 5 on Friday. It took forever.

dolphingirl47
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: