DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #196
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
When you are cancelling less than 30 days out your are leaving DVC with a room last minute that they may or may not fill. The price you pay for that cancellation is that you will then be restricted to booking a room that similarly has not been booked and is close to the equivalent of what you cancelled.

As far as using points for DLR hotels or WDW hotels first depends on any resale restrictions on your points. If they can be used for those options then yes, you can use holding points to book those options but they are still held to the 60 day from check-in restriction.
Thank you!
Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #197
cz4ever
Imagineer-in-training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Without debating the importance of use year, I wanted to point out that I think you may be misinterpreting the graphic. Of course, I may be misinterpreting it as well, but I think I looked at it differently than you did. Please let me explain. When looking at the graphic, I did not assign numbers to the months based on the order in which they appear in the calendar (2 does not mean February and 12 does not mean December). Instead, I looked at my personal vacation habits and then placed them on the graphic. For example, the most likely four month period for us to vacation is August to November (so that would be the green section) followed by December to March (the yellow section). April to July is least likely for us (so that would be in the red). So based on that (and this graphic), our most optimal use year is August, because it is at the beginning of the 8 month period where we are most likely to vacation. Furthermore, the red months fall after the banking window has closed, so by structuring it this way I would stand the least chance of having to cancel a vacation and lose the points.

Again, there is validity to both sides of the argument as to how important this is, but I just thought I'd offer my interpretation of what the poster was trying to do.
Thanks for the clarification, and in general to all on the thread for all the info.
cz4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #198
dmband
DIS Veteran

so i have (once again) been reading up and thinking about dvc
if you travel to disney in july 99% of the time...
the best use yr would be like may/june???
that way if you had to cancel you still have 1 yr to use the points and/or bank them
tia
Old 07-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #199
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MousekeTom View Post
I thought this chart was really helpful.

I bought June because I travel mostly during the months of July through December. I also travel in the Spring but that's just one trip vs the 3 potential trips in the last half of the year. My bank by date is January 31st of every year.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #200
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
if you travel to disney in july 99% of the time...
the best use yr would be like may/june???
that way if you had to cancel you still have 1 yr to use the points and/or bank them
tia
for july trips, a june UY is ideal...

a june UY will be risky if you travel in march-april-may.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #201
goofygurlie
Wag and the world wags with you...Howl and they put you outside.

Subscribing. Great info!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #202
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I thought this chart was really helpful.

I bought June because I travel mostly during the months of July through December. I also travel in the Spring but that's just one trip vs the 3 potential trips in the last half of the year. My bank by date is January 31st of every year.
Great chart. So for the past 10 years we have traveled in the june to dec months. they were evenly spread out so i'm thinking that june or april as i have been told would be the best UY for me? i have my time of in the summer and holiday's cause i'm in the school system and as my kids get older i can see us not pulling them out of school for a full week vacation. maybe a day here or there so i will cont to most likely travel in the summer and fall winter months.

so april or june UY makes sense then? any opinions are soooo welcome!

jimi
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #203
SpectroMan71
Mouseketeer

Question about dues: I thought dues were due in the first month of your use year, but now I'm hearing everyone gets billed in December. Is that true?

Ex: I'm looking at a contract with a Dec use year. 2012 dues are already paid, so I THOUGHT that meant I wouldn't owe dues until Dec 2013. But I'm being told I'd have to prepay the dues at closing now. If that's the case, wouldn't that in essence pay me up until Dec 2014? Or does Disney make you prepay your dues for the upcoming year?
SpectroMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #204
CRobin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectroMan71
Question about dues: I thought dues were due in the first month of your use year, but now I'm hearing everyone gets billed in December. Is that true?

Ex: I'm looking at a contract with a Dec use year. 2012 dues are already paid, so I THOUGHT that meant I wouldn't owe dues until Dec 2013. But I'm being told I'd have to prepay the dues at closing now. If that's the case, wouldn't that in essence pay me up until Dec 2014? Or does Disney make you prepay your dues for the upcoming year?
Once you are in the system you have the option of paying your dues in January for the entire upcoming year or paying them month by month through automatic debit from your bank account.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
CRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #205
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectroMan71

Dues are paid by calendar year NOT use year. So everyone's dues are billed in December and due in January, no matter what the use year is. Some members pay in full in January. Some pay by automatic monthly debit.

If you closed on a December UY contract now, with 2012 dues paid, you would still owe dues in January 2013, like all other members.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #206
SpectroMan71
Mouseketeer

Thanks, guys. Can't believe I've been researching DVC this many years and never knew that about the calendar year billing! Appreciate it.
SpectroMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #207
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Great info. Is there a thread to the transfer options. I understand I can only transfer my points once a year. We have family that may need extras points so we are going to transfer to her and then she would owe us in the future.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #208
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Bump - Post #1 updated on 2/16/2014 to use more current example.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #209
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Thanks, this is great info for those of that are looking to buy into DVC.

We are having a little bit of a struggle trying to figure out which UY would be best for us. Mostly because we will usually be traveling at 2 different times of the year.
We will be traveling last week of July / first week of August every year.
Then we will also be doing a trip anywhere between December - March .
So 2 trips a year at opposite ends of the calendar. We will NEVER be able to travel April-July , and September - November due to business reasons.

So ...........we think we have decided on a December UY to base our DVC purchase/s . There are quite a lot of December UY contracts available (I would say its one of the most common) so easy to find, and add on keeping the same UY later. It would work out great for our trips that fall December- March every year. Also if we ever needed to cancel (very doubtful) or Summer trip which always starts in July, we still have the 4 month time frame to bank our points if we need to.

How does this plan look to you UY experts ?
We were looking at April-June UY as well , but I think December would suit us better, except that the points will come into our account so late into the year.

Thanks for the help !

Various stays at : ASM, AKL, AKV, BC, BLT, BWV, FW, GF, HHI,
OKW, Poly, POR, WL, VWL, SSR, RPR, HRH, PBR, Off-Site ......
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #210
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Thanks, this is great info for those of that are looking to buy into DVC.

We are having a little bit of a struggle trying to figure out which UY would be best for us. Mostly because we will usually be traveling at 2 different times of the year.
We will be traveling last week of July / first week of August every year.
Then we will also be doing a trip anywhere between December - March .
So 2 trips a year at opposite ends of the calendar. We will NEVER be able to travel April-July , and September - November due to business reasons.

So ...........we think we have decided on a December UY to base our DVC purchase/s . There are quite a lot of December UY contracts available (I would say its one of the most common) so easy to find, and add on keeping the same UY later. It would work out great for our trips that fall December- March every year. Also if we ever needed to cancel (very doubtful) or Summer trip which always starts in July, we still have the 4 month time frame to bank our points if we need to.

How does this plan look to you UY experts ?
We were looking at April-June UY as well , but I think December would suit us better, except that the points will come into our account so late into the year.

Thanks for the help !
Your business reasons may change over the next 30 to 50 years.

Pick the UY that covers the majority of your vacations.

It doesn't really matter when your UY is for point loading. What matters is that you have points in your account for your reservation dates.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: