DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
juliejoyce11
Earning My Ears

Worth it for every 2-3 years?

We are a family of 5 (boys ages 7, 5 and 2), with another one on the way. We seem to be traveling to Disney ever 2-3 years - I know this is not often when compared to others. We are planning to rent points for next year, for a 2 bedroom at the Beach Club (if we can get it). We are looking at spending $5K for the 2 bedroom through DVC and I just can't help but think it might be worth purchasing one instead. I am not nearly as well versed as any of you, so I apologize if this is a "dumb question", but I am curious whether people think it is worth it to buy DVC points if they are only planning to go to Disney every other year? My thought was to buy 1/2 the points we need (I thought maybe 150), bank them on the year we don't go and then go the following year? I am really having a hard time figuring out how many points we would need - I find the charts really confusing. Because we will have kids in school, I would probably be looking at peak times. The last 2 times we went over Thanksgiving - we also plan to go again next year during this time. I keep trying to talk my husband into going in September because I think it would be much more enjoyable, but it is hard with our kids in school. Sorry for the long winded question. Just curious what you experts think about whether this would be a cost effective option for us, given our particular situation. Thanks so much!!!
juliejoyce11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Were I in your situation, I would not buy. The break even time would just be too long too make the substantial financial commitment. Remember, every year, whether you go or not, you would be paying annual dues on your points.

I'd continue to rent. I'd still save over paying cash and would have no worries if our schedules or personal situation prevented us from going a particular year as planned.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
juliejoyce11
Earning My Ears

Thanks! I think you are right. It is what my gut was telling me - it's just so tempting to pay $10K for points, rather than just rent them for $5K, but the cost of the fees is probably the most substantial cost of ownership. If it weren't for the darn maintenance fees... Thanks!
juliejoyce11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
crisi
DIS Veteran

We've been doing every other year and its worked great for us. We don't need an exact number of points because every other year we do a combined bank and borrow to take the vacation we need to take. Sometimes, honestly, we've ended up with more points than we need. And when we have less points than we need, we've stayed cash.

But when we bought, points were cheaper, and rentals were much harder to manage - no brokers, everything private.

Over the long term, depending on how you choose to count it, DVC may not end up SAVING you money. Although I suspect if you'd buy, then sell when you stop using it, you'd more than break even if you just counted points and dues compared to renting.

The other issue you have is that with an every other year plan if your seven year old is an active kid you have three to five trips left - then activities will take over. Even Spring Break is taken up by high school activities for my kids. Thanksgiving break was right before the end of the trimester - so was spent writing papers. And Christmas break they want to spend with their friends since its the only "vacation" they get. When they do travel, they no longer really want Disney World - my daughter and I spent two weeks in the British Isles last Summer (my son had baseball and couldn't join us).
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
mariafh
Earning My Ears

Visiting every other year for many years

We have purchased points at BC and do visit every other year. We have enough points to have a 1 bedroom during magic season. We bank and borrow. When the kids get into college, my husband and I plan to go every year on the off season staying in a studio. It has worked out well. One just needs to be on top of things to bank in time and plan things out. Whether it is worth it for your situation, that depends. Before DVC, we did go every year and stayed at one of the high end resorts. Having made the payment up front for the DVC has made the trip costs more manageable later on. Also, we could only pull the kids out of school in the elementary and middle school. In high school, they penalize their GPA if you take them out without good cause. Unfortunately, disney is not good cause. We have 170 points which allow us to stay 8 nights during magic season, which is not premiere, but one below it. Because Massachusetts spring break is tied to patriots day holiday we get a break at the Park. When Easter is early, the Mass spring break is later and we don't have the park crowds. So for us, it was worth it.

Last edited by mariafh; 12-28-2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: add more info
mariafh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

During the honeymoon phase of ownership, you may want to vacation at Disney more often and less after a few years. After all it isn't money, it's just points!

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

This is exactly what we did 5 years ago. We purchased 200 points at SSR through resale. We go every other year and stay for at least 7 days in a 2 bdrm unit. DH and I have also taken 3 adults only long weekends. We bought in not only for the kids, but for us as well. We enjoy going as much as the kids so we will still enjoy after they've grown up. Do some research. I personally wished we had done it a couple of years sooner as we were already staying in the villas for the space. Smaller points have smaller dues as well, so our MF's are very manageable. Also study the point charts. We knew we needed a 2 bdrm and wanted to be able to stay in all but the peak times, so 200 was a good amount to allow some wiggle room, but not too many where some might be wasted. Good luck
Old 12-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Just loosely crunching the numbers, if BCV was your choice, it'd take 3 trips for you to recoup most of your costs so your first discounted trip would be your fourth. That's provided that you are not counting your buy-in as an asset. That means it'd be 8 years down the road before you'd see savings. Depends upon if you'd use DVC after that point.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnydaddy View Post
Just loosely crunching the numbers, if BCV was your choice, it'd take 3 trips for you to recoup most of your costs so your first discounted trip would be your fourth. That's provided that you are not counting your buy-in as an asset. That means it'd be 8 years down the road before you'd see savings. Depends upon if you'd use DVC after that point.
I'm finding it very hard to believe that it would only take 3 trips to "recoup most of your costs".

At a minimum, you must be using the non-discounted cash price of the BCV 2 bedroom villa as a comparison. I doubt the OP (or most people) would pay that.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliejoyce11 View Post
We are a family of 5 (boys ages 7, 5 and 2), with another one on the way. We seem to be traveling to Disney ever 2-3 years - I know this is not often when compared to others. We are planning to rent points for next year, for a 2 bedroom at the Beach Club (if we can get it). We are looking at spending $5K for the 2 bedroom through DVC and I just can't help but think it might be worth purchasing one instead. I am not nearly as well versed as any of you, so I apologize if this is a "dumb question", but I am curious whether people think it is worth it to buy DVC points if they are only planning to go to Disney every other year? My thought was to buy 1/2 the points we need (I thought maybe 150), bank them on the year we don't go and then go the following year? I am really having a hard time figuring out how many points we would need - I find the charts really confusing. Because we will have kids in school, I would probably be looking at peak times. The last 2 times we went over Thanksgiving - we also plan to go again next year during this time. I keep trying to talk my husband into going in September because I think it would be much more enjoyable, but it is hard with our kids in school. Sorry for the long winded question. Just curious what you experts think about whether this would be a cost effective option for us, given our particular situation. Thanks so much!!!
If you'll go at least every 2 years and never exceed 3 based on the dates (early yr 1 & late yr 4 won't work) then it's simply the same calculation that everyone goes through. My list for those where DVC makes sense would include these items. No consumer debt, pay cash, value staying on property enough to do so with or without DVC in a moderate or above, plan 7-11 months out and be comfortable with the compromises of a timeshare including no housekeeping and accepting a certain level of wear and tear. For this situation and assuming DVC works otherwise, it's often best to underbuy in terms of points and resort but not too much. You'll need a 2 BR so an EOY trip for a week is going to require a purchase of around 170 yearly points. You might be able to squeeze 1 or 2 trips in for certain 1 BR options but that'd be about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnydaddy View Post
Using realistic numbers it often takes in the 9-12 yr range at every year to break even comparing to renting points or discounted rack rates of at least 20% in a moderate. If they bought SSR or similar resale, it might be the 4th or 5th trip compared to above unless they found a truly favorably loaded resale contract. Still worthwhile if they meet the other criteria.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
McCrae
Mouseketeer

We go every 2-3 years and it's perfect for us.
McCrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
StitchBuddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrae View Post
We go every 2-3 years and it's perfect for us.
How many points do you have??
StitchBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliejoyce11 View Post
Thanks! I think you are right. It is what my gut was telling me - it's just so tempting to pay $10K for points, rather than just rent them for $5K, but the cost of the fees is probably the most substantial cost of ownership. If it weren't for the darn maintenance fees... Thanks!
If you plan on getting a two bedroom villa every time, you might be spending more than 10K on those points. If this year is your first year, the next time you go, you will be paying for three guests 10+ and two 3-9. Ticket costs are the big expense for us and we are just a family of two adults and a once in a while soon to be college grad.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
I'm finding it very hard to believe that it would only take 3 trips to "recoup most of your costs".

At a minimum, you must be using the non-discounted cash price of the BCV 2 bedroom villa as a comparison. I doubt the OP (or most people) would pay that.
As I said, loosely calculating numbers. I used the OP's own estimate of dropping 5k for the room. I just wasn't at my computer to do a whole lot of shopping about to find the very best price.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
lovewdwdvc
DIS Veteran

Resale

Be sure to buy loaded resale if. You decide to buy in. Also are there any charts that show how room rates change over time. That is a necessary comparison.

RESORTS: POP, ASSp, Poly, BWI, SSR, CBR, Swan, VWL, AKL, Dixie Landings, POR, PORFQ,BWV. BCV, Fort Wilderness Cabin, BCV
lovewdwdvc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: