DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
jodiey
Mouseketeer
 
jodiey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 373

Buying a specific # of points - what would you do

So I need about 240 points for 6 of us to stay for 6 nights in a 2 br. Right now there aren't any resale contracts out for that # of points with a use year we want. Would you
A. Wait until something comes up (which the suspense is killing me)
B. Attempt to buy from 2 contracts that equal that # of points
C. Buy a lesser # of points for now until something else comes up later and either stay dvc every other year or split our stay between dvc points and cash
jodiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,091

I would probably buy two contracts with the same UY
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 45,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
I would probably buy two contracts with the same UY
Yep.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,742

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiey View Post
So I need about 240 points for 6 of us to stay for 6 nights in a 2 br. Right now there aren't any resale contracts out for that # of points with a use year we want. Would you
A. Wait until something comes up (which the suspense is killing me)
B. Attempt to buy from 2 contracts that equal that # of points
C. Buy a lesser # of points for now until something else comes up later and either stay dvc every other year or split our stay between dvc points and cash
Multiple contracts, same UY, same resort, same names on title act like one pool when booking a reservation. We have 6 home resorts with several 50 point contracts at each resort.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 48,217

I agree with buying 2 smaller contracts, although you will probably pay more. That will give you more flexibility in the future.
__________________
DebbieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
PacoDF
Mouseketeer
 
PacoDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 184

Two contracts is better for future splits (heir, selling to reduce your points, etc).

Maybe you can buy a 150-160 points contract (the most common qty contract out there) and another for the rest.

If you have two kids, maybe two 120 points contracts will be better.
__________________
Our DisneyTime Vacation Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdTj-B5aORc
PacoDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
djohn06
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 64

Where are you looking that you cannot find a single contract for 240 point? Are you focusing in on a certain resort? I would just be patient if you want a single contract. Pretty sure something will open up in the next week or two.
djohn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
jodiey
Mouseketeer
 
jodiey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 373

I was looking at the timeshare store. I'm looking for SSR with an August or sept use year. So are you saying that if I bought a 240 point contract and down the road I wanted to sell 100 points I couldn't? Would I have to sell all 240 points at once?
jodiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
jodiey
Mouseketeer
 
jodiey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 373

I'm looking for SSR with an August or sept use year. So are you saying that if I bought a 240 point contract and down the road I wanted to sell 100 points I couldn't? Would I have to sell all 240 points at once?
jodiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,923

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiey View Post
I was looking at the timeshare store. I'm looking for SSR with an August or sept use year. So are you saying that if I bought a 240 point contract and down the road I wanted to sell 100 points I couldn't? Would I have to sell all 240 points at once?
I'd wait or buy a slightly smaller contract. Buying 1 contracts will raise your price maybe $10 pp.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #11
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 48,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiey View Post
I'm looking for SSR with an August or sept use year. So are you saying that if I bought a 240 point contract and down the road I wanted to sell 100 points I couldn't? Would I have to sell all 240 points at once?
Correct, you can't split a contract.
__________________
DebbieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
jodiey
Mouseketeer
 
jodiey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I'd wait or buy a slightly smaller contract. Buying 1 contracts will raise your price maybe $10 pp.
Can you explain what you mean by buying 1 contracts will raise your price maybe $10 pp?
jodiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #13
jodiey
Mouseketeer
 
jodiey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I agree with buying 2 smaller contracts, although you will probably pay more. That will give you more flexibility in the future.
The only problem I see with buying multiple contracts is Disney passing on 1 contract and snatching the other, then I'm stuck with not enough points for what I need.
jodiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #14
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,923

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiey View Post
Can you explain what you mean by buying 1 contracts will raise your price maybe $10 pp?
You'll pay an extra closing cost for 2 plus smaller contracts will command a nigher per point cost. On top of that the contracts are more likely to be stripped. The only way I'd do this purposefully for 2 contracts in the same time frame would be if I wanted 2 home resorts and felt the additional cost worth it.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #15
jodiey
Mouseketeer
 
jodiey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
You'll pay an extra closing cost for 2 plus smaller contracts will command a nigher per point cost. On top of that the contracts are more likely to be stripped. The only way I'd do this purposefully for 2 contracts in the same time frame would be if I wanted 2 home resorts and felt the additional cost worth it.
I think I'm better off just being patient and waiting for what I need. Thanks everyone!
jodiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.